• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meet the Community, Smash Poll Part 1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I already voted a while ago. I can't wait for the final results, I have to admits this giant poll is pretty hype. Obviously I guess some data will not be revealed before the very end (like who is most wanted and expected for DLC characters), but I'm really curious about:
- the average age of people who took the poll;
- the average number of amiibos owned by people;
- the character with the least amount of dislikes;
- and finally, the amount of people who answered wrong to the spring DLC and Artsy Omni's fake leak questions :troll:

Don't feel forced to post all that data too quickly. Take your time and scatter those data through different posts, themselves scattered through different days. Revealing them too quickly, even if they're subject to change with more people responding later, would kind of reduce the overall interest towards this poll I think.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Actually, once the poll seems to have lost some of its steam; I'm planning on posting the results of the first page of the poll, and some likes and dislike in order to regain some traction. I think some people have reservations about voting because they don't see how the information is useful for the community. So doing a big post will help draw some people in, and hopefully get more coverage.

Speaking of coverage, please help spread the word! So far I've gotten ZeRo, Shi-G, Artsy Omni, Smash-Miiverse and other famous Smashers to talk about the poll and spread the it. My goal is to get 5,000 responses, and we are over half way there, with more than half of the month left

Actually, once the poll seems to have lost some of its steam; I'm planning on posting the results of the first page of the poll, and some likes and dislike in order to regain some traction. I think some people have reservations about voting because they don't see how the information is useful for the community. So doing a big post will help draw some people in, and hopefully get more coverage.

Speaking of coverage, please help spread the word! So far I've gotten ZeRo, Shi-G, Artsy Omni, Smash-Miiverse and other famous Smashers to talk about the poll and spread the it. My goal is to get 5,000 responses, and we are over half way there, with more than half of the month left
Speaking of pros like zero. . .
will there be any attempts to repost it on reddit? I do remember there was some controversy when you posted it. There are still probably quite a few people who haven't seen it.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Speaking of pros like zero. . .
will there be any attempts to repost it on reddit? I do remember there was some controversy when you posted it. There are still probably quite a few people who haven't seen it.
It's been posted on r/Smashbros, r/Nintendo and r/Sm4sh. Would like to try to get r/gaming but I'm afraid the focus is too narrow. The first part of the results will be posted it. It wasn't really voted on, but there were no complaints in any of the communities when I posted it.
@ PushDustIn PushDustIn

Have you tried 4chan?
Have not. If someone wants to post it on v, please go ahead.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
- and finally, the amount of people who answered wrong to the spring DLC and Artsy Omni's fake leak questions :troll:
I think those were a way to see how informed the survey taker was about current events.

Also, I wonder how many votes for disliked characters will be about disliking their inclusion and how many will be about disliking them for being overpowered.

D

Deleted member

I believe the main problem with these kinds of polls is that they are "unofficial", meaning that while they would present a dichotomy of Smash players, it's purely observational and won't be used by Nintendo. That does scare off some people, but I still think these kinds of polls have merit, and considering how hard you have worked for the past few months with data mining and rooting around observations from around the world, I must commend you on this endeavour.

Also, I'm surprised Diddy is the least popular character, although being a huge Donkey Kong Country fan, I've always looked at Diddy as just there and not really being anything spectacular. I would've assumed the order would have probably been Dark Pit, Rosalina & Luma, then the Mii Fighters.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I believe the main problem with these kinds of polls is that they are "unofficial", meaning that while they would present a dichotomy of Smash players, it's purely observational and won't be used by Nintendo. That does scare off some people, but I still think these kinds of polls have merit, and considering how hard you have worked for the past few months with data mining and rooting around observations from around the world, I must commend you on this endeavour.

Also, I'm surprised Diddy is the least popular character, although being a huge Donkey Kong Country fan, I've always looked at Diddy as just there and not really being anything spectacular. I would've assumed the order would have probably been Dark Pit, Rosalina & Luma, then the Mii Fighters.
I have no expectation that the data will be used by Nintendo at all. Instead, I hope it's useful for the community, and it promotes a better understanding of it. I do believe that most of the people who have taken the poll so far are hardcore Smash fans and are not the general market of consumers. We are a minority, but we are extremely vocal one.

I appreciate your support! This is probably my most ambitious project yet. It's exciting because it's a lot more people interaction than data mining or reading what people have already posted. I've been doing these kinds of projects because they genuinely interest me.

i'm not really surprised that Diddy is the least liked character. His OP status is almost meme worthy. BTW, Diddy wins #1 in "least liked" in every language, with the exception of French. In French it goes 1. Sonic , 2/3 Diddy , 2/3 Olimar. Of course, French doesn't have that many votes (54) so the data really isn't conclusive yet.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Well, I said I own 8 amiibos, but I own 10. It sounds like a small difference, but it is a huge difference.
8 amiibos is like "I just want to farm amiibo gifts", but 10 amiibos is "I held a funeral for my wallet" territory.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Lots of information here:

Includes demographic breakdown, character and stage preferences and more! The tables don't seem to work on Smashboards, sorry.

Loads of graphs in the spoiler:

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Pretty interesting to see Jigglypuff having a higher like-to-dislike ratio than Charizard and Lucario in that poll. Then again, Lucario getting a fair number of dislikes makes sense consideirng all the hate he got when he was revealed in January last year.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To be fair jigglypuff has a lot of melee fans where he isnt terrible.
It doesn't help in Lucario's case that he still has the whole "Mewtwo replacement" stigma, despite not actually having replaced Mewtwo.

(Also, I view Jigglypuff as a female)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Lol, someone is in the 70s. How many Cranky Kongs are in the Smash fanbase? :laugh:

:231:

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
How do you not know if you play PM or not.
Quite a few people, apparently.

Lol, someone is in the 70s. How many Cranky Kongs are in the Smash fanbase? :laugh:

:231:
I wish I knew if they were lying. Obviously, I discounted the people who claimed to be 10000 years old, but with 70s...it could be true. Also, I was surprised with how young the respondents tended to be. I feel old now.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Some interesting stuff in the stage preferences, as well. Delfino Plaza is the fifth most liked of the Wii U stages, and despite all the knee-jerk bans, Pokemon Stadium 2 seems to have a lot of support.

Your colors on the graph for favorite series seem off, by the way. I can't tell which is supposed to be which. A bug in the program, maybe?

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Your colors on the graph for favorite series seem off, by the way. I can't tell which is supposed to be which. A bug in the program, maybe?
This. I'm surprised there's no Pokémon REO there, considering how popular the franchise is worldwide (last I heard it was on its way to surpassing Mario as the highest selling series). This first two largest sections don't seem to be labeled. Mario and on the slices go in order of percentage.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Yes the poll will end soon.

Current response number for the Mega Smash Poll. Only a couple of days left.(Total 3,096 responses)
English 2700 87.2%
Español 210 6.8%
Français 58 1.9%
日本語 96 3.1%
Português 32 1%

Last edited:

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
I'm curious to see which characters are most wanted for DLC, although I have a feeling that Isaac and Krystal will both be towards the top of that list

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
While there are a lot of characters that I'd like to see as DLC, I feel like I'm quite pessimistic in regards to characters that actually have a chance of getting in as DLC (though who knows? Maybe once the poll results come out, it will turn out that I'm actually being relatively optimistic about it instead!). I feel like the best that we're going to get, aside from Mewtwo, would be one or two more veterans (probably Lucas and/or Wolf, since they'd theoretically be the easiest to make), and maybe one newcomer that serves as blatant promotional material.

Last edited:

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
While there are a lot of characters that I'd like to see as DLC, I feel like I'm quite pessimistic in regards to characters that actually have a chance of getting in as DLC (though who knows? Maybe once the poll results come out, it will turn out that I'm actually being relatively optimistic about it instead!). I feel like the best that we're going to get, aside from Mewtwo, would be one or two more veterans (probably Lucas and/or Wolf, since they'd theoretically be the easiest to make), and maybe one newcomer that serves as blatant promotional material.
Right now, it doesn't sound likely that we'll be getting much more for DLC, but yeah, if we do get more DLC characters, it'll most likely be Lucas or Wolf.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
About the Smash Poll:

I'll post the data tonight in this thread when I get home. However, I won't talk about it in depth until after the Mewtwo hype dies down a bit. I have a good feeling they are going to start releasing download codes after the Direct.

Rayman is the most requested newcomer.
King K. Rool is 2nd, followed by Banjo Kazooie (close race).

Ice Climbers are the most requested vet.
Lucas, and Wolf follows.

Characters who people think have a high chance:

Lucas, Wolf (tied!)
Ice Climbers
Snake
Roy
(Other veterans)
Rayman
Dixie Kong was seen as more likely than King K. Rool
Isaac below him.

EDIT: While you guys are waiting for the results.... This is pure requests. Like I said, will post the rest tonight.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DS0/pubchart?oid=475393190&format=interactive

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It was unfortunate that we couldn't push it as much as we did. Oh well. We still managed to have quite a lot of votes.

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn It seems like the graph you gave has different results than what you said. Looks like Sukapon was the most popular (7.2 percent).

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Wait, so lemme get this straight...Rayman was voted as one of the most likely DLC newcomers even though the only thing tying him to Smash is a (admittedly really well done) hoax?

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Wait, so lemme get this straight...Rayman was voted as one of the most likely DLC newcomers even though the only thing tying him to Smash is a (admittedly really well done) hoax?
Most likely, yes. Fans are probably talking about him more because of this. It likely wont mean much in the end.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
It was unfortunate that we couldn't push it as much as we did. Oh well. We still managed to have quite a lot of votes.

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn It seems like the graph you gave has different results than what you said. Looks like Sukapon was the most popular (7.2 percent).
Umm it's probably messed up. Will fix it tonight (seven or eight hours from this post)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Ughhh so hard to tell who everyone is now.

Sorry, I was messing around with the columns before I left so the data you guys saw was slightly misleading.

Here's the published chart (so you can sort it by language, etc):

Want:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...S0/pubchart?oid=1404193269&format=interactive

Picture Format:

Potential chart:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...S0/pubchart?oid=2075568975&format=interactive

And finally: Wants divided by Potential:

Will release the data here once I delete the names and organize the questions a bit for people.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well Dustin, Nintendo just released submissions which makes the little poll obsolete. :/

At least I have you Shaq.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Not necessary! It's a decent indicator on what characters will be requested.

Top Bottom