• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [May 9, 2015] Hope 9! CUSTOM MOVES LEGAL! Smash 4 Wii U Singles, Doubles, and 4vs4! (Etna, PA)

M@v

Subarashii!

PRE REGISTRATION LINK (PRE-REG ENDS THURSDAY MAY 7th AT MIDNIGHT!): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bv7aLba9Bka9_QpHoMIHaSfMevKKK64gEn86rqdhdW8/viewform?usp=send_form

The next Hope tournament is here! The 9th iteration of Hope is set to be a smash 4 event, featuring 3 different events (Singles, Doubles,and 4vs4!). The Venue is the standard hope venue, the Clarence Fugh Memorial Hall. We offer FREE fountain drinks, and we are currently looking into offering food at the venue. If that does not happen though, there are plenty of food options nearby, with an italian pizza shop/restaurant in walking distance, and a BK, Mcdonalds, Long John Silvers, and an Eat n Park all about 1 or 2 minutes driving time.

Pricing:
Venue fee: $10*
*(Venue fee is waived if a full setup is brought. Full Setup = Full setup = LCD or CRTV with a Wii U + Gamecube Adapter.)
IF YOU DO NOT PRE-REGISTER, YOU WILL BE CHARGED A $20 VENUE FEE, EVEN IF YOU BRING A FULL SETUP. SO PLEASE, PRE-REGISTER. IT TAKES LESS THAN 3 MINUTES, AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PRE-PAY!

Smash 4 Wii U Singles: $10
Smash 4 Doubles: $20 per team
Smash 4 4 vs 4: $1 per player

Schedule:
10 AM Venue Opens along with registration. Registration will be briefly closed between noon and 12:30pm to ensure all Wii Us have customs movesets fully uploaded.
12:30: Smash 4 doubles begin
2:30: Smash 4 doubles end
2:30-2:45: Smash 4 Singles Last Call Registration
3:00-8:00: Smash 4 Wii U singles
8:15-close: Smash 4 4vs4s

Rules:
-2 Stocks, 6 minute timer
-No custom equipment
-Mewtwo is legal
-Items set to OFF and NONE
-Mii fighters: All movesets legal; default height/weight.
-Team Attack set to ON in 2v2 and 4v4s
-Matches will be best of 3 outside of winners finals, losers finals, and grand finals, which will be best of 5.
-Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR): You cannot counterpick a stage you have already won on in the current set
-Gentlemen's Clause: Players can choose to play on any stage if both players agree. This rule trumps DSR if there is a conflict.
Order of a match:
1.Strikes will be conducted in a 1-2-1 manner.
2.Winner of game one will ban 2 stages
3.Loser of game one will then counterpick a stage
4.Winner of game one selects their character along with their moveset
5.Loser of game one selects their character along with their moveset.
6.Match 2 commences
7. If a game 3 is needed, repeat steps 2 through 6

-----Custom move rules------

----Uploading custom moves----

This will done in one of 2 methods:

Method 1: The Wii U has all customs unlocked. In this case, players will make the customs they need as they sit down, or use the movesets that are already on the Wii U. If a Wii U has all customs unlocked, it will be marked accordingly.

Method 2: Wii U with customs from an unlocked 3DS. In this case, players will pick from pre-set movesets on the 3ds. These movesets will likely be influenced from the Official Standard Custom Move Project on Smashboards. If a moveset a player uses is not present on a setup, they will notify a TO, and then, pending TO approval, upload their moveset to the Wii U with either their own 3ds, or the TO 3ds. The TO 3ds will have all custom moves unlocked.

If your Wii U does not have all customs unlocked, the TO will upload move sets to the setup for all characters using the TO 3DS. Don’t worry, you can delete these after the tournament if you wish.
----Custom Move Nomenclature----

-The custom moveset should be named in accordance with the following format:

WXYZ

Where each letter represents a 1, 2, or 3, mirroring the number a move has in the game.

W =number of neutral B
X =Number of Side B
Y = Number of Up B
Z =Number of Down B

Example. If I want to use a move set that uses Fox’s 2b, 1sideb, 3upb, and 2downb, the moveset would be named 2132 on the console.

----Custom Move usage during sets----

-If there is a blind picked called, the players will conduct the blind pick before any custom move editing or uploading is done.

-Custom moves will be picked when a player picks his character throughout the set.

-Players must tell their opponents what custom moves they are using, and if they are switching to a different moveset.

----Banned Customs (Note: some moves may only be banned in certain events; read below to see)---
None at this time. (Order tackle bug was patched!)

Stagelist:

Singles and Doubles:
Starters
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Final Destination
Duck Hunt

Counterpicks
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Omega stages* (If FD is banned, then Omegas are banned too)
Halberd
Kongo Jungle
???Skyloft???(VOTE if this stage should be allowed when you pre-register! The question is a part of the pre-reg!)

4vs4 Stagelist
Starters
Big Battlefield
Windy Hill Zone
Town and City
Kongo Jungle
Luigi's Mansion

Counterpicks
Omega Stages
Duck Hunt
Bridge of Eldin
Temple
Norfair

Questions? Shoot me a PM!

Last edited:

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Also, although I have custom moves banned, I would be very interested in running them. The problem is having them reliably unlocked for everyone to use. There's no good way to do it D:
Well, you could always try doing something like this: http://smashboards.com/threads/official-standard-custom-moveset-project-initial-release.381395/

I have a 3ds with everything unlocked that could be used. Setting it up on all/most of the set ups shouldn't take too long really. And that's assuming I'm the only one with a 3ds doing this and there are no set ups with everything unlocked. But yea, your call (Also, if I can't make it for some reason that makes things difficult).

Also, why you gotta put the best stage ever in contention like that? :(

Hype

M@v

Subarashii!
Doesn't the 3ds unlock method only let you transfer full loadouts? And not individual moves?

Last edited:

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Isn't the 3ds unlock method only let you transfer full loadouts? And not individual moves?
Yes. The point is to get all (or most) of the popular loadouts to speed things up. If someone needs a loadout that's not on the list and not on the Wii u they're using, then someone with an all-custom-moves-unlocked 3ds can transfer a loadout over. You could also request that before the tournament (or even at the venue), the attends mention any particular loudouts that they would like to use and we could add those during the transfer process.

Also, my Wii U has all customs unlocked, so that's one potential set up done already.

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm scared to ask you how long it took you to get that wii u unlocked.

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Dunno about bringing a tv yet, but I'll make sure to have all customs unlocked on my setup that I bring. I'm enjoying my unlocking method of just doing trophy rush as mega man and spam uairs. It's probably not the fastest way, but it's brain dead easy so I can just zone out doing it. Hooray for minimal effort.

M@v

Subarashii!
Ok guys, its offical. Custom moves will be LEGAL at Hope 9! Here's a copy of the custom moveset section of the ruleset, also found in the OP:

-----Custom move rules------

----Uploading custom moves----

This will done in one of 2 methods:

Method 1: The Wii U has all customs unlocked. In this case, players will make the customs they need as they sit down, or use the movesets that are already on the Wii U. If a Wii U has all customs unlocked, it will be marked accordingly.

Method 2: Wii U with customs from an unlocked 3DS. In this case, players will pick from pre-set movesets on the 3ds. These movesets will likely be influenced from the Official Standard Custom Move Project on Smashboards. If a moveset a player uses is not present on a setup, they will notify a TO, and then, pending TO approval, upload their moveset to the Wii U with either their own 3ds, or the TO 3ds. The TO 3ds will have all custom moves unlocked.

If your Wii U does not have all customs unlocked, the TO will upload move sets to the setup for all characters using the TO 3DS. Don’t worry, you can delete these after the tournament if you wish.

----Custom Move Nomenclature----

-The custom moveset should be named in accordance with the following format:

WXYZ

Where each letter represents a 1, 2, or 3, mirroring the number a move has in the game.

W =number of neutral B
X =Number of Side B
Y = Number of Up B
Z =Number of Down B

Example. If I want to use a move set that uses Fox’s 2b, 1sideb, 3upb, and 2downb, the moveset would be named 2132 on the console.

----Custom Move usage during sets----

-If there is a blind picked called, the players will conduct the blind pick before any custom move editing or uploading is done.

-Custom moves will be picked when a player picks his character throughout the set.

-Players must tell their opponents what custom moves they are using, and if they are switching to a different moveset.

----Banned Customs (Note: some moves may only be banned in certain events; read below to see)---
:4olimar:/:4alph:
downb2 (Order Tackle)[doubles and 4vs4]

Eggz-Floc

Smash Rookie
I'm hoping I can attend this, I live like 4 hours away so I'll likely have to find a hotel or something to stay at for the event. But I figure since there is still plenty of time to figure out my situation I should be fine. Looking forward to this.

Last edited:

Rend4125

Smash Cadet
NNID
Billiam4125
anyone really wanna win teams? message me looking for a partner

Rend4125

Smash Cadet
NNID
Billiam4125
kinda wish the wii u fee was at least 5 bucks or something for moal. so winning first would actually net you some sort of decent reward lol and probably bring out more serious competition. oh well

Rend4125

Smash Cadet
NNID
Billiam4125
yeah ive never been to one before. and ill be near pittsburgh for spring break so... perhaps

M@v

Subarashii!
Making a slight change to the stagelist. In Singles and Doubles, Lylat cruise will be moved to a counterpick now, and Duck Hunt will become the 5th neutral. Here is my reasoning:

-The engines (Located at the points where the stage angles downward on each side) can be very glitchy and cancel out moves, attacks, and even knockback. I've seen players moves get cancelled out, grabs get cancelled, and even knockback from a smash that would of killed someone not occur due to these.
-The tilting of the stage severely affects some character's options and gameplay.
-The ledges are disadvantageous for several characters, and although better than they were in Brawl, they are still known to screw recoveries at times when they probably shouldn't.

Duck Hunt is the next most neutral stage in line, with its only real major issue in my opinions being the akward camera angles in the off stage game. The duck hurtboxs are a small issue too, but I feel neither of these are as big as the the engine issues and the ledge issues Lylat has.

"But Mav, you are basically giving people 2 FDs now."
Not really. Duck Hunt has the tree platforms on the left, and the bush platform on the right, as well as the duck hunt platform you can control by killing ducks in the right places. Also, by that logic, you are giving 2 battlefields to people by leaving Lylat legal. Lylat is as different from Battlefield as Duck Hunt is from FD.

If the Mewtwo DLC comes out before this event, I'll look into making the Miiverse stage the 5th neutral if it indeed turns out to be a stage worthy of being a neutral. Duck Hunt would slide back into a counterpick spot in that instance.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
If you watched the Nintendo Direct today, you would of seen Mewtwo will be available before May is here. With that news, it is my pleasure to announce Mewtwo will be joining the fray and fully legal at Hope 9!

M@v

Subarashii!
Hi guys! With Mewtwo coming out tomorrow, I wanted to remind people he WILL be legal at this event. In addition, this is only 3 and a half weeks away. Be sure to pre-register. You do NOT have to pre-pay when you pre-reg: Pre-reg is HERE: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bv7aLba9Bka9_QpHoMIHaSfMevKKK64gEn86rqdhdW8/viewform?usp=send_form Although Pre-reg isn't necessary, you will be charged double venue fee if you do not ($20 vs $10). It is vital that you pre-register to not only avoid paying extra money for no reason, but to help run the tournament smoother. By pre-regging, I can have the vast majority of the tournament brackets pre-made before Saturday, so I only have to make minor changes/add stragglers in Saturday. Lastly, you can save even more money by pre-regging and bringing a full setup with you (including gamecube adapter). Get hype guys; this is rapidly approaching!

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Supposedly the Order Tackle glitch has been fixed (I certainly can't get it work), so you might want to consider removing its ban in Doubles/4v4's.

Lylat cruise's ledges have also been fixed and supposedly the tilting causing weird cancels has been too. Though you may want to check on that first. I personally haven't been able to replicate it.

While I'm at it, I don't see anything in the rules on what happens in a time out. I know how it's going to be handled but still.

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah, I'll add a timeout clause in for the next update. This weekend I'll verify the olimar exploit is gone. If it is, I'll remove it from the ban list. The lylat edges are indeed mostly fixed, but it can still jank you if it is tilted downwards, plus the engines still can cancel moves out, so we are still sticking to duck hunt as the 5th neutral.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
I know this tourney is kind of close, but I'm having serious second thoughts about custom moves, especially with more and more broken/infinites being discovered. How does everyone actually feel about customs here?

M@v

Subarashii!
A lot of infinites/Very strong techniques are being discovered at a rapid rate with customs enabled, not to mention some customs are not as smoothly finished as others. (Mewtwo doesn't even have custom moves)

Last edited:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Gonna try to make this. School will be done by then so it's looking good.

M@v

Subarashii!
^ Should be. I personally don't have an HDMI recording setup yet; just one that works with CRTVs. Worst comes to worst, save your replays and we can send them to someone to record over. Don't forget you can send replays to other players now with the recent updates :D

Also, Hope 9 is this upcoming weekend! Don't forget to pre-reg (Its free to do so) PRE REGISTRATION LINK (PRE-REG ENDS THURSDAY MAY 7th AT MIDNIGHT!): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bv7aLba9Bka9_QpHoMIHaSfMevKKK64gEn86rqdhdW8/viewform?usp=send_form Pre-reg and bring a setup so you save lots of money :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom