• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [May 9, 2015] BOTTOM TIER BATTLE 2! Feat. 5 Smash games! REG IS CLOSED (Toronto, ON)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
It's the tournament you've all been asking me for since last July... get ready for

BOTTOM
TIER
BATTLE!

~~The follow-up to last summer's showdown~~

Time, Date, & Place

A & C Games
452 Spadina Ave, Toronto, ON
Saturday May 9th, 2015
Venue opens at 12 pm.
Brackets start at 1 pm.

Prices

Venue fee: $5 (mandatory)
Smash 64 1v1: $5
Melee 1v1: $5
Brawl 1v1: $5
Project M 1v1: $5
Wii U 1v1: $5

At the tournament, show up before your games are scheduled to begin, let us know what name you registered as, and you can pay the venue fee and bracket fees at that time.

THERE WILL BE NO AT-THE-DOOR REGISTRATION AT THIS EVENT. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Rules
  • All games will be double-elimination 1v1 brackets, Bo3 sets, top 3 are Bo5. There will be no pools at this tournament.​
  • Items set to OFF, NONE. Damage ratio 1.0, score display on, etc.​
  • You may Gentleman's to any stage, but you may not Gentleman's to use banned characters or to change the number of games in your set. The only exception is Sopo in Melee and Brawl, you can use Sopo if your opponent agrees to it.​
  • There will be no USB adapters for Smash 64 at this tournament because there is no way I will have time to inevitably troubleshoot them.​
  • Button checks are allowed, but make it quick.​
  • Set procedure: For Game 1, players choose their characters before they strike stages. For subsequent games, the winner of the previous game declares their bans (when applicable), the loser of the previous game chooses a stage, the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser of the previous game chooses their character.​
  • Double Blind Picks can be requested for game 1.​
  • If your opponent pauses, you may request they forfeit the stock.​
  • Please for the love of god dont coach for longer than 30 seconds.​
  • Players have 5 minutes to show up for their game before they are DQed.​
Smash 64
  • Legal characters: :dk64::link64::luigi64::ness64::samus64: (the bottom 5 characters voted on average from 66 voters in the Smash 64 boards as of April 6, 2015 at around 8 pm EST)
  • Starter stage: Dream Land
  • Counterpicks: Kongo Jungle, Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle. No stage bans or DSR.
  • 5 stock

Melee
  • Legal characters: :bowsermelee::dkmelee::kirbymelee::linkmelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee::nessmelee::pichumelee::roymelee::yoshimelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee: (B and F tier of 2013 community tier list)
  • Sopo is allowed via Gentleman's Rule.
  • Starter stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dream Land, Fountain of Dreams. 1-2-1 striking.
  • Counterpick: Pokémon Stadium. DSR applies. 1 stage ban in Bo3, no stage bans in Bo5.
  • 4 stock, 8 minutes
  • Zelda may not transform to Sheik. If a player violates this rule, their opponent is allowed to request stock forfeiture.

Brawl
  • Legal characters: :bowser2::falcon::ganondorf::jigglypuff::link2::mario2::samus2::zelda: (F tier of Official SWF Tier List v8)
  • Sopo is allowed via Gentleman's Rule.
  • Starter stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island [Brawl], Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Pokémon Stadium. 2-3-1 striking.
  • Counterpicks: Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Pokémon Stadium 2, Halberd, Frigate Orpheon, Delfino Plaza. 2 stage bans. DSR applies.
  • 3 stock, 8 minutes
  • Samus may not transform into ZSS and Zelda may not transform to Sheik. If a player violates this rule, their opponent is allowed to request stock forfeiture (Zelda, input errors happen) or game forfeiture (Samus... because seriously who changes to ZSS by accident?).

Project M
  • This tournament will use Project M 3.5.
  • Legal characters: :bowser2::dedede::dk2::popo::jigglypuff::kirby2::metaknight::ness2::olimar::peach::pikachu2::pit::rob::squirtle::wario::yoshi2: (designated as "underused" characters by Seena and Blitz since PM does not have a tier list, nor will it likely have one with 3.6 on the horizon. This list is subject to change.)
  • Starter stages: Green Hill Zone, Pokémon Stadium 2, Battlefield, Smashvlle, Dream Land. 1-2-1 striking.
  • Counterpicks: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Warioware, Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams. 2 stage bans. DSR applies.
  • 4 stock 8 min.

Wii U
  • Legal characters: :4charizard::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4link::4lucina::4marth::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4gaw::4palutena::4robinm::4samus::4shulk::4wiifit::4zelda: (D and E tier of the Japanese tier list. This is subject to change depending on the April patch.)
  • Starter stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville. 1-1 striking.
  • Counterpicks: Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, Lylat Cruise, Town and City, Duck Hunt, Halberd. 2 stage bans. DSR applies.
  • Customs are off. Miis are 1-1-1-1, dimensions follow EVO rules.
  • 2 stock 6 min

Food

There is a Burger King and a Popeye's and a Mr. Sub across the street for starters. You can find all kinds of food around here since it's in the middle of downtown Toronto.​

--------------------

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!
Smash 4 has been changed to 2-stock in the interest of time. Mewtwo will NOT be legal.
I am allowing Melee and Brawl players to use Sopo IF THEIR OPPONENT AGREES TO IT. No other banned characters are legal via gentleman's rule.
Project M will be 3.5. Please bring your 3.5 SD cards.

Tentative schedule and TV arrangement (assuming minimum 8 CRTs):
1:00 PM: Smash 4 starts. Runs all day.
1:00 PM: Project M and Melee start. CRT count: 4 Project M, 4 Melee
4:00 PM: Brawl starts. CRT count: 2 Project M, 2 Melee, 4 Brawl
6:00 PM: Smash 64 starts. CRT count: 1 Project M, 1 Melee, 2 Brawl, 4 Smash 64
The rest of the setups will be converted to Smash 64 as needed.

Schedule/setups is of course subject to how many we get.

If you will not be able to make these times for any games you joined, please tell me so I can remove you from the bracket beforehand.

If you take longer than 5 minutes to report to your match you will be DQed. We are going to be tight on time with this many entrants. I am going to be too busy to be paying attention to my phone so please don't text me to delay your match, I will not read it or do it.

If you would like to help me update brackets on the weekend please tell me your Challonge username. I will have 2 tablets available.

Please bring setups for any smash game you are able to bring setups for. Wiis are preferred to gamecubes. You do not need to bring 64 consoles, but cartridges are needed.

There will not be any keyboard adapters for Smash 64.

I realized I left the registration form open despite claiming to close it. If you registered BEFORE 11:59 pm on May 6th, you have been added. If you registered after that, you will not be able to join.

Here are the lists of participants SO FAR. A lot of you guys registered twice and listed different games, so please look for your name in all of these pages.
If you would like to be dropped from a game, let me know tonight or tomorrow please. However I am not adding anyone to any brackets.
THESE ARE NOT FULLY SEEDED YET. If you would like to help me seed please do, I want to get this done tonight.
Remember every game you enter is $5. Venue fee is $5.

Smash 64: http://challonge.com/BTB264/
Melee: http://challonge.com/BTB2Melee/
Brawl: http://challonge.com/BTB2Brawl/
Project M: http://challonge.com/BTB2PM/
Smash 4: http://challonge.com/BTB2Sm4sh/

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
M O N A D O B O Y Z !!

Calling it, IceNinja vs Jerm gfs for Wii U

Mmeaninglessnamee

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmeaninglessname
I'd question some of the Wii U low tiers, since you are going by the Japanese tier list, but not the Japanese stage list. (Shulk for instance is at more of a disadvantage with only FD, BF, Smashville)

But things may change in the patch, and I can't make it up to actually be at the tournament, so it's not super-important to me. (plus, i'd love to see more high-level Shulks anyway)

On another note, i'd assume Customs Off means Miis are 1111 only as well, right? (just for clarification, because someone else will probably want to know eventually.)

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
I can't believe you guys ae considering Shulk bottom tier. Whoever made this tier list needs a reality check.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Everyone in this thread who has an issue with Japan's tier list can take it up with Japan or link to another tier list that is actually used anywhere.

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
But no credibile tier list has bn made based on OUR metagame. This is the Japanese opinion, not ours.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
I have to agree with Scieric. Link, Falco, Marth, Shulk and mii fighter shouldn't even be close to legal.

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
I mean, with a 1111 set, Miis are all pretty bad. But I seriously doubt that Shulk is botom tier, along with Link, Robin and to a much lesser extent, Ganon. We should have our own list for this sort of thing.

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
I mean, with a 1111 set, Miis are all pretty bad. But I seriously doubt that Shulk is botom tier, along with Link, Robin and to a much lesser extent, Ganon. We should have our own list for this sort of thing. And wait a sec, Mac isn't down there! What the heck!

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
I know it's depending on the April patch, which could mean if Link isn't buffed he would be legal in the tournament for instance.
I posted an alternative tier list as pidgezero_one suggested if anyone had an issue with japans, sorry if I came across as demanding lol

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
neither tier list is good. reddit's is made up by people who don't go to tournaments. so either we use japan's meta or for glory meta

skype group recommended japan's over reddit's

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace
(For Wii U) Every character listed atm, with the exception of Shulk, can be argued as low tier. Some are blatantly worse than the other low tiers, but tis life. Shulk is high mid tier, on par with Megaman, Pac, Greninja, Pit, and some other very solid characters. Some may even debate lower end of high tier. But that's just my opinion.

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
That was my main problem. The placement of Shulk. If you can provide backup that he belongs there, then fine. If not, then why the heck is he there?

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
As someone who doesn't go to much tournaments myself, I'll retract my statement then. Whatever the decision I'm probably going anyway haha

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
That was my main problem. The placement of Shulk. If you can provide backup that he belongs there, then fine. If not, then why the heck is he there?
i'm sure your numerous tourney experiences and overall wins will provide a good scope, yeah?

SuperSalamence

Smash Cadet
NNID
T-Flex
3DS FC
5455-9990-9310
God dammit one of the few tournaments that is actually hosting brawl and it's in another country.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Will sopo be permitted as a legal character for melee? (it only takes a couple seconds to suicide your nana at the beginning of each stock)
I wouldn't be opposed to this I guess, if your opponent agrees to it

Last edited:

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
so for sm4sh, what are the rules on the miis? (fully customizable vs 1111, 2222, 3333 vs 1111 only) also, what about weight? (quarter height, min weight is allowed in EVO, as well as min height and weight and both neutral height and weight)

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
so for sm4sh, what are the rules on the miis? (fully customizable vs 1111, 2222, 3333 vs 1111 only) also, what about weight? (quarter height, min weight is allowed in EVO, as well as min height and weight and both neutral height and weight)
miis are 1111, height and weight we can just follow evo's requirements. I have a strong feeling a 1111 mii is not going to rise above low tier by becoming fat

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
miis are 1111, height and weight we can just follow evo's requirements. I have a strong feeling a 1111 mii is not going to rise above low tier by becoming fat
Fat ones aren't that good anyway. The mobity of the small ones just provides so much opportunity to combo. But that doesn't even matter without UpB2 to finish said combo. But hey, that's just about Brawler. I can't speak for the other 2.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
I would think the Miis would get a standardized size in smash bros. Do big fat ones at least hit hard like bowser or something? I only see small ones..

megel

Smash Apprentice
next week is bottom low tier battle 2 this is i be return at anc after my absent from york university shridan college tourneys and my first 4v4 win against team joe blitz and chris i cement my big win at smash #6 because next week i'm back for low tier tourney also i beat major goes by the name gains.

Last edited:

Shamo123

Smash Rookie
Hey I just wanted to know if there was an age restriction? me and my buddy are 15 and 16 and would want to go

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
eh, I don't think I'll go... I just prefer playing with 2222 gunner or full custom mii. there's just something about playing custom brawler as Charles Barkley or Chuck Norris or gunners as the Burger King that just makes it more fun but without the slam jam or the roundhouse kick or Whoppers its not as cool...

Last edited:
Top Bottom