• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Sep 13, 2015] Galloping Ghost Arcade presents Smash 4 weeklies Singles and... (Brookfield, IL)

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive

Galloping Ghost Smash Sundays

MELEE TOURNAMENT HAS BEEN SUSPENDED FOR THE TIME BEING UNTIL DIFFERENT ACCOMODATIONS CAN BE CONSIDERED DUE TO THE UNEXPECTED SIZE THIS WEEKLY HAS GROWN TO

Galloping Ghost Arcade is proud to present a new weekly Smash 4 event. Every Sunday starting at 6pm CST GGA will be holding a Super Smash Brothers 4 weekly event. Depending on attendance a double elimination tournament will be held. Come meet the local Smash community and make this another Chicago Smash staple. Right now the tournament is only being held for Smash 4.
The weekly will continue to 2AM every Sunday at the arcade for friendlies, and will be streamed on Galloping Ghost Arcade's Twitch channel.

Singles tournament starts at 7pm every week. Doubles tournament will follow immediately after (usually starting around 9pm).

In preparation for EVO we will now be allowing Custom Moves based on the EVO ruleset, view the allowed sets here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UJEicwLypWs/pubhtml/sheet?headers=false&gid=0

(Source: Shoryuken.com)
External Links:

YOUTUBE

Last edited:

ThunderThor77

Smash Rookie
Has this tournament started yet or is this upcoming Sunday going to be the first one? If so, did anyone participate in the previous ones held?

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
This is the third tournament held at Galloping Ghost for Smash 4 and the second weekly event, First one had a 20 player turn out while the 2nd (1st Weekly) had a 12 player turnout due to very little advertising. I'm trying to increase attendance by spreading the word more.

PK Thor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThunderThor77
3DS FC
3952-7499-7247
Well I will probably go to the one on the 4th assuming you're having one. Thanks for the information.

stratattackjack

Smash Rookie
I will deff be there as well. If you make a face book post I will share it will all the st. Louis smash pages here in missouri to help get the attendance up!

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
I believe they have 4 wii u's. Usually that is more than enough to get the tourny rolling pretty quick. Gamecube Controller Adapters are always welcome though. I believe the guy who hosts it is on his Honeymoon this week but should be back before this Sunday, be sure to call before you make the drive just to be safe.

PK Thor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThunderThor77
3DS FC
3952-7499-7247
I believe they have 4 wii u's. Usually that is more than enough to get the tourny rolling pretty quick. Gamecube Controller Adapters are always welcome though. I believe the guy who hosts it is on his Honeymoon this week but should be back before this Sunday, be sure to call before you make the drive just to be safe.
Cool, thanks for all the information.

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
Nice turnout tonight, I wasnt able to make it but I heard 27 people showed up. Remember these tournaments are double elimination unless specified otherwise. So if you lose one match you still have a chance.
Here is the bracket for tonight (1/4/2015): http://gga.challonge.com/smash4
Look forward to seeing you guys next week.

Last edited:

PK Thor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThunderThor77
3DS FC
3952-7499-7247
Wasn't able to make it yesterday but amazing that there were so many participants. I'll definitely try to make it this upcoming Sunday.

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
Project M and Melee is an issue of not having enough CRT TVs for a tournament...they have plenty of monitors for Wii U but not CRT...if you go you may be able to talk to the coordinator about setting it up, but it would definitely require a few TV donations.

Payouts are general rules. 80/20 for under 10 people. 60-30-10 for 10-19. 50-30-15-5 for 21-30....etc

Last edited:

PK Thor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThunderThor77
3DS FC
3952-7499-7247
Hopefully this gets responded to before the tournament starts, but does it start at 6 PM or 7 PM? The picture and description say two different times.

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
Doors open at 6 and tournament starts at 7. As always though.....call to make sure nothing came up and cancelled the event.

PK Thor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThunderThor77
3DS FC
3952-7499-7247
Thanks, I'll remember that for next week. Snow cancelled my availability to go once again. :ohwell:

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Do you think there will ever be melee at the tourney? I can bring a CRT+ I live right by Brookfield so I'll be coming almost every week.

Lvl26Spinda

Smash Rookie
Man, this is the only event i could find... and im sad that im not going to be able to go because of the times 6pm to 12 on a sunday. I have studies to do as well. I hope i can attend a future event if the times change though

Nessimator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VtheVincent
3DS FC
4038-6421-2081
Are there 2 stock or 3 stock matches? What are all the stage choices? Is it single or double elimination? I need to know.
(This is what I meant by rule-set.)

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
Stock count for the tournament is decided on the turnout, but they usually do 3 stock. It's double elimination, but if turnout is huge...it might be changed to Single elimination. That would have to be a 50+ turnout though. Stage choices are Standard
FD, Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Town and City, and Smashville are Neutral

Lylat, DK64, and Duck Hunt are counters

But if both players agree, then any map is legal.

I wont be going back there for awhile (as I left for school), but I will still try to keep this updated with info.

Last edited:

Nessimator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VtheVincent
3DS FC
4038-6421-2081
Stock count for the tournament is decided on the turnout, but they usually do 3 stock. It's double elimination, but if turnout is huge...it might be changed to Single elimination. That would have to be a 50+ turnout though. Stage choices are Standard
FD, Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Town and City, and Smashville are Neutral

Lylat, DK64, and Duck Hunt are counters

But if both players agree, then any map is legal.

I wont be going back there for awhile (as I left for school), but I will still try to keep this updated with info.

Thanks. I'll definitely be going!

zeroskatr12

Smash Rookie
So how have the turnouts been recently? My friend and I are new to this place, but we are most likely going to show up later today. I just wanted to know what to expect in terms of attendance or even player skill levels. If anyone here has some info to share I would appreciate it!

PK Thor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThunderThor77
3DS FC
3952-7499-7247
So how have the turnouts been recently? My friend and I are new to this place, but we are most likely going to show up later today. I just wanted to know what to expect in terms of attendance or even player skill levels. If anyone here has some info to share I would appreciate it!
I haven't gone to one yet but I believe there's been three so far. Not sure about the first or third but the second I believe had a turnout of 27 people. I'll probably be going tonight if nothing interrupts my plans.

Mist Dragon

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShinyGyarados
Do I pay the Arcade's $15 entrance fee as well, or is it only the $5 Smash/Venue fees?

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
@ iTony030 iTony030 Sadly I haven't been to the events since leaving for school. If you go to the next event tell one of the GGA guys to get in here and post them, as they have the API and control of the challonge bracket ( gga.challonge.com ). However I would like to announce that Melee has been added to the event and is currently in test phase tonight.

Last edited:

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Glad you guys added melee. Me and my friend will probably be coming next week

soonk

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, @ demonhacker demonhacker told me to jump into the thread and talk to you, since he was just reposting for us. I'm the guy that runs the event every week, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

@ iTony030 iTony030 I submitted all the brackets for rankings up to yesterday's tournament, and I will continue to do so every week.

@ Mist Dragon Mist Dragon , if you want to pay the 15 to get into the arcade, that's up to you, but it's only 5 to come play Smash in the tournament area.

@ Valar Morghulis Valar Morghulis we just added Melee yesterday.

I think most everything has been answered. Hope you guys can make it out!

Hostageclam

Smash Cadet
NNID
flood0f72
Quick question, are there doubles for Smash 4? My partner and I are looking to get more 2v2 practice at tournaments.

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
@ Hostageclam Hostageclam There is no doubles as of right now, but talk to soonk and they may gauge the interest at the next event and maybe have a 2v2 bracket every once in awhile.

Last edited:

soonk

Smash Cadet
@ demonhacker demonhacker I already submitted all of our brackets

@ Hostageclam Hostageclam we don't have doubles, and idk if we will be adding them or not. We ran until about 12 last night just with singles for 33 people, so we'd be hard pressed to add more unless we started way earlier, and idk if I want to come into work much before 5pm ;]

eta: if you guys want to look at the brackets yourselves, they're located here http://gga.challonge.com/

Last edited:

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
Ohh gotcha, I misread. I'll be sure to post all the rankings for players to claim themselves once a mod clears your results.

Top Bottom