• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 3, 2014] WHOBO: MLG Houston Special Edition! Brawl/Melee/PM/64/PSA! $300 pot bonus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Best thing to do is to register to secure your spot. I will let everyone know when there are 25 spots left. If I dont make the post that means that the cap has not been hit yet and that you can still come to the event. Just letting everyone know so that this clears up any confusion.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
MLG is only picking up Melee
also Project M has pretty much 0% chance due to being a mod
Man Counter Strike and Dota were mods originally, look at them now.

I'd say it's chances at least exist. The only problem would be Nintendo honestly.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
^ i would love to go to a tourney where that isnt imperative. it would be like.... people other than smashers care about things running smoothly lol We are the best community when it comes to supporting ourselves.

Shadowmessia

Smash Rookie
My friends and I will be practicing a lot this upcoming month for this and also for EVO. We are looking for people to play with who are also trying to get better. If anyone would like to get some smash time in for this event pm me.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
My friends and I will be practicing a lot this upcoming month for this and also for EVO. We are looking for people to play with who are also trying to get better. If anyone would like to get some smash time in for this event pm me.
what game do you play and where are you located? There are plenty of people in houston who would like to play.

Shadowmessia

Smash Rookie
what game do you play and where are you located? There are plenty of people in houston who would like to play.
We play melee in the Cypress area and welcome anyone who wants to practice with us. We usually smash later in the evening and on weekends.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Whobo MLG (May 3-4) Online registration ends Apr 28 so if you havent pre-registered do so to reserve your spot at http://airbrushking.net/tournaments/whobomlg. Playstation All-Stars has been added to the lineup featuring Singles, Doubles and a Side event. You will need a wristband to enter the venue and I will be making a post once we have 25 spots left. If I dont make the post that means you can still come to Whobo because we didnt max out. To make Whobo run smooth we need full setups so please bring whatever you have. Special prize will be given to the 1st 5 players that bring a full setup for Brawl, Melee & Project M will receive a FREE Whobo Poster and a drink coupon. MLG will be streaming this entire event. I have a special guest that will be in attendance that will be taking pictures and giving out giveaways. We are going to be making a special announcement for the new championship series along with premiering the reveal trailer. Im looking forward to another great event and I will see you all there!

Whats at stake for Whobo MLG?

#1: 1st place Diamond Motif Trophy awarded to Brawl singles champion!

#2: 1st place Medals awarded to all champions for all games!

#3: 200$ Total Pot Bonus to Brawl/100$ and Melee/100$!

#4: MLG circuit points to the top 64 players of Melee!

#5: Additional Prizes (To be announced)

Rolton Cussell

Smash Cadet
I'm bringing a video camera and filming as many matches as possible. I'll try to make a Whobo montage with the all the footage afterwards. It might be some incentive haha. Hey do something cool and you'll make the montage.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Hello there

I just signed up for singles in 64. My name is WereWyatt. This will be my first ever tournament and I'm coming all the way from Athens, GA (though not specifically for the tournament; I'm a musician). I'm bringing a full set up and also my laptop and capture card which I would love to have used for the benefit of the tourney but I'm guessing the organizers probably already planned for a way to capture the important matches.

I hope there are some crazy good 64 players. It's all I play and I've gotten where I can pretty much beat anybody in Georgia, but that's just mainly because people don't practice 64 anymore. I think it's an awesome game though and I've never owned brawl or melee so I'm super pumped to find that in the last few years 64 tournaments have started showing up with a lot of hype around them. Thank god for youtube and twitch.

Xyro77

Also, guys please bring full setups. Those will determine the speed of this event and allow for friendlies/MMs.

GoldMegaman

Smash Cadet
On the Whobo facebook event i read that mango and hax might be coming for melee. Whobo hype levels are going to go through the roof.

Rolton Cussell

Smash Cadet
I can bring my wii and monitor. I don't have a TV :3. It's small like 20' but it's playable. I might be able to borrow an old magnavox from a friend, we'll see.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
how many ppl are regged for pm? it's crunch time with regards to setting up logistics for this and i don't understand why an attendees list isn't available.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Something I basically said months back, but apparently when there's 50 left is when ABK/Xyro will tell us. So I just assume the WHOBO 6 turnout is small for now if it hasn't hit 150 :^)

GoldMegaman

Smash Cadet
how many ppl are regged for pm? it's crunch time with regards to setting up logistics for this and i don't understand why an attendees list isn't available.
Something I basically said months back, but apparently when there's 50 left is when ABK/Xyro will tell us. So I just assume the WHOBO 6 turnout is small for now if it hasn't hit 150 :^)
I read last year Whobo 5 did 140 players so im thinking this year it will probably max out. Whobo 4 did 120 players so it increases every year so i wouldnt worry about an attendee list seeing as how this event continues to grow every year. I cant wait for this event.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i need numbers & names for pm specifically. not going to drive 12 hrs for a local-scale tournament

Last edited:

Xyro77

I can bring my wii and monitor. I don't have a TV :3. It's small like 20' but it's playable. I might be able to borrow an old magnavox from a friend, we'll see.
Being what you can cause everything helps.

@ Strong Badam Strong Badam talk to AirBrushKing cause I don't have access to any of that info. I just run the event. I can say that Dallas and San Antonio are HUGE into PM. That's their official game now.

@ HK_Spadez HK_Spadez like I said to strong bad, talk to AirBrushKing. He deals with registration. I'll get him to post in here in a sec.

Last edited:

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Cool. Thanks. I'll try to register for tourney soon but wanted to find out about spectators for if my gf wants to come.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Hello there

I just signed up for singles in 64. My name is WereWyatt. This will be my first ever tournament and I'm coming all the way from Athens, GA (though not specifically for the tournament; I'm a musician). I'm bringing a full set up and also my laptop and capture card which I would love to have used for the benefit of the tourney but I'm guessing the organizers probably already planned for a way to capture the important matches.

I hope there are some crazy good 64 players. It's all I play and I've gotten where I can pretty much beat anybody in Georgia, but that's just mainly because people don't practice 64 anymore. I think it's an awesome game though and I've never owned brawl or melee so I'm super pumped to find that in the last few years 64 tournaments have started showing up with a lot of hype around them. Thank god for youtube and twitch.
Welcome to Texas. We appreciate you bringing your setup/laptop/capture card. M2K won the last Whobo in 64 so we shall see who wins this year. There was some good players that came last year so I dont think this year wouldnt be any different.

I dont give out numbers but can say Whobo 5 had 140 players in total so it would be best to just register like everyone else to reserve your spot just in case we hit the 200 cap.

Do spectators need a badge?
Yes spectators need a wristband so if you and your gf are coming you can purchase 2 venue wristbands to reserve your spot!

Last edited:

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
I dont give out numbers but can say Whobo 5 had 140 players in total so it would be best to just register like everyone else to reserve your spot just in case we hit the 200 cap.

Yes spectators need a wristband so if you and your gf are coming you can purchase 2 venue wristbands to reserve your spot!
So spectators and competitors need the same badge? Thats kind of unfortunate lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
why on earth would you have paid registration without an attendees list? this is bull****.

my carpool deconfirmed the other day so im scrambling to see if there's a way to make it still but it sounds like its not going to be worth the effort if i dont even know ahead of time who's going. :/

Last edited:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
why on earth would you have paid registration without an attendees list? this is bull****.

my carpool deconfirmed the other day so im scrambling to see if there's a way to make it still but it sounds like its not going to be worth the effort if i dont even know ahead of time who's going. :/
You can always try megabus if you cant find another carpool or post on the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/278250605676938/ and see who all is going and willing to carpool with you.

LOE1

Smash Lord
Dis gonna cost alotta money if i go, we'll see what i can do though :|

:wario:

Xyro77

Dis gonna cost alotta money if i go, we'll see what i can do though :|

:wario:
Ask around for carpools. Maybe use mega bus? Housing with sync will be guaranteed so that saves you hotel fees. Rides will happen from syncs house as well so that saves on rides to venue.

Don't wimp out, just go!

Top Bottom