• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Aug 22, 2015] MacD presents: Mayhem - Melee (Pasadena, CA)

MacD

Banned via Administration
MacD & PEEF are here to bring you Mayhem: a series featuring Melee

FB Event: Check for it one of my last posts

PRE-REG -
MANDATORY PAID PRE-REG (Closes 10pm Friday before tourney):
https://smash.gg/tournament/mayhem-8-22
it'll be 100% MANDATORY PAID PRE-REG this time. REG ENDS at 10pm Friday night. You can use PayPal or Credit Card

FUTURE MAYHEM SCHEDULE:

Sept 12th
Oct 17th

1515 Garfield Ave
South Pasadena, CA 91030

GAMES:
Super Smash Bros Melee

- Food and drink for sale by the venue
- Free and easy parking right outside the venue

STREAMS:
Melee - http://twitch.tv/macdsmash

SCHEDULE:
Melee
10:00 am - Venue Opens / Registration starts
12:00 pm - Melee Doubles Reg ends/Doubles starts
2:00 pm - Melee singles signups end
2:30 pm - Melee singles starts
10:00 pm - venue closes (it a a residential area so there can be noise complaints.)

COST:
Venue fee w/ Pre-reg: $7
Venue fee w/ Pre-reg & w/ full Melee setup: $5

Venue fee without Pre-reg: $10
Venue fee without Pre-reg & w/ full Melee setup: $7

A full setup consists of a TV & a system w/ Melee. We are also in need of power strips and extension cords. If you can supply any of those let me know.

PRE-REGISTRATION:
Sign-Ups begin on Saturday 10/11 and close on Friday 10/17 at 8pm. If you do not pre-register, you're venue fee will be $10 at the door, unless you bring a full Melee setup. No exceptions!

Melee Singles: $5
Melee Doubles: $5 each teammate ($10 per team)
(Ex: if you enter both events that's $10 + $7 for venue fee if you pre-reg and don't bring a setup)

MELEE PRIZES:
Singles:
1st: 50%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%
4th: 5%

Doubles:
1st: 50%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 20%

**prizes subject to change based on entrants**

RULESET:
Melee:
APEX ruleset (with a couple modifications) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74563582/Apex/Apex2015_Rulebook.pdf
- DK64 is banned in teams
- Semi's/Finals are all 3/5

Socal Melee: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSBMsocal/

Last edited:

~BAM~

Smash Rookie
Yay I can finally see it on Smashboards! xD
This is going to be insane guys. Can't wait for the day to actually come. I recommend attending if you're not too far. This venue is insane and we're going to make sure we use it to the best of our abilities and have everything run smoothly.
Hope to see you all there!!

D

Deleted member

I'm a little far but there's nothing else in my area, count me in!

MacD

there are going to be a lot. i'm preparing myself for over 100 in melee just in case it comes to that

and i'd expect over 50 for PM if even just a few of the melee peeps enter PM

TripleOG

Smash Rookie
My friend and I are going to be right in that area for the holidays! It'll be our first tourney but its high time Humboldt county got some representation in the melee scene. So excited!!

MacD

CRTs are needed for Project M too.

There is no discount for bringing setups, but the more setups brought = fast tourney/more friendlies. we also want to run pools for Project M, but can only do that if they get enough setups.

Xethos

Smash Cadet
Do their crts already have wiis/gamecubes to go with them? Reason being is that i could possibly bring a wii, but my crt is WAY too big and heavy to bring there. Me bringing my wii is a maybe too, but just in case I can bring it, I just want to check if you'll actually need it.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
you should put sfat in the title

that might get me to go

but if i go 100% NOT BRINGING A TV AND IT FEELS SO GOOD CUZ I WANT BRACKET NOT POOLS I HOPE THERE ARE NO TVS YAYUHZ

MacD

Xethos that would still be helpful. sometimes people bring extra TV's, and we as a venue are actually going to be supplying some extra TV's but don't have systems for them. so if you could bring it that would be awesome!!

i mean worst case they sit in your car, best case you get another PM setup!!! PM setups are the ones i'm most worried about getting enough of

MacD

Hey SoCal!! I’ve got some updates about my tourney this weekend. Looks like NorCal Melee peeps are coming down to the tourney Sat. AZ Project M peeps too!!!! I hope everyone is ready for a hype tourney.

1. Name change to “Mayhem”!! We’re dropping the word “Project” because we felt it added an unnecessary layer of confusion. Thanks to Boback for the sick graphic!!

2. I’ve updated the schedule. We need people to show up on time, especially at this first one. It’s going to get a bit hectic trying to figure out all of our double entrants and work out the timing for everything. ANYONE ENTERING BOTH MELEE AND PM NEED TO BE SIGNED UP FOR SINGLES FOR BOTH BY 1:15PM.

3. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING SETUPS. I want at least 28 setups per game. We easily have space for more, but 28 per game would make pools a breeze!! If you guys want pools and tons of friendlies, you need to bring set ups. Don’t think we won’t need it or won’t have space for it. We do need it and will have space for it. PLEASE BRING SETUPS

4. So far, we are supplying at least 15 TV's to split between the games (or give to whoever brings less) but we don't have systems for at least 10 of those. PEOPLE WHO AREN'T BRINGING FULL SETUPS PLEASE BRING A SYSTEM. WE NEED TONS OF SETUPS PLEASE BRING THEM.

SCHEDULE:
Melee & Project M
11:00 am - Venue Opens/Registration starts (Pleeease arrive on time so we can get things running asap!)
12:00 pm - Doubles start
1:15 pm - ***people entering BOTH Melee and PM must be signed up***
1:30 pm - Singles signups end
2:00 pm - Singles starts
11:00 pm - venue closes

Last edited:

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
This might be a dumb question, but for people who are just coming to spectate and not to play any games (not even friendlies), do they have to pay the $5 venue fee?

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
no offense but the whole "please bring setups!" thing has no bite to it because there's less incentive to do so.

in the end it's the community's fault. i've been bringing setups at (almost) every tournament for years! i used to bring 2 TVs and 1 cube at every tourny i've attended, and for the past ~2 years have brought 1, sometimes 2, TVs and 1, sometimes 0, cubes at every tourny.

my motivation for doing so has changed over the years. in the beginning it was because i was not very good, and therefore it was in my best interests to do so if i wanted to maximize my friendlies.

in the middle it was because i came sort of a de facto socal melee leader. remember connor's tournies? no one else was bringing ****. it was me or busto for the most part.

in the end it's because of habit + setting a good example.

but i can count on my hand the # of times i've been thanked, personally or otherwise, for providing anything. now you're (not just you, crimson does it too; i may C&P this post the next time i see him begging for setups) taking away my final incentive.

i'm no longer a noob so i don't care about friendlies. i can money match or simply beat whoever's in line.

furthermore i could potentially influence others to bring TVs, too. i have always been ardent about doing so in the past, but no more. why?

i'll show up if i can since norcal is going, but i wouldn't be surprised if this tournament is horribly organized. maybe i'll call someone first to make sure it's not complete AIDS. imo you're biting off more than you can chew.

MacD

This might be a dumb question, but for people who are just coming to spectate and not to play any games (not even friendlies), do they have to pay the $5 venue fee?
no, if you are just coming to watch, then you don't need to pay the venue fee! and that question is actually semi common because the answer varies for different tourneys, so not a dumb question!!

@ shadrach kabango shadrach kabango - this tournament turned into something a lot more crazy than i was expecting, but there is no reason not to roll with it. i originally expected PM to get 55-60 at most with double entrants (considering all their past turnouts), but their last tourney had 86.... so yea. i think the fact we are supplying 15+ TV's is a good start to show we know what we're getting ourselves into.

if you don't want to bring a setup and if you disagree with the system, that's your choice. The fact of the matter is, the smash community's tournaments are ran by the community for the community. We ask for the communities support with setups because it increases everyone's enjoyment, and most people understand the idea of their setup going to the greater good. if you are more concerned with being self serving, than so be it.

Things are going to work out no matter what happens, and i hope you do enjoy yourself in the end!!! =D

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
wait you already have 15 TVs?!?! the OP says "a few." the difference between 15 and a few is quite large! clarify please!

honestly that was a very mature reply from you, good job

Last edited:

MacD

i can be a big boy when i want to!!!!! =D

also that 15+ is a recent development. though you are right, i forgot to update that in the description. it's all over facebook though

EVERYONE - i added a new parking picture/explanation

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks for an awesome tournament everybody. I did pretty poorly myself but westballz played some intense matches on my gamecube so my life is complete.

Xethos

Smash Cadet
Lol i actually faced westballz. I had a great time myself. Compared to people there, I was a noob, but I still had an amazing time.
Will this continue as a biweekly event as planned? Cant make it to the next one, but itd be great to go to another one in the future.

MacD

thanks guys, glad you had fun. sorry it ran so late, but there are always all those unforeseen issues with the first one (especially considering we had 96 entrants in both Melee and PM). i can't stop thinking about how to save time in the future.

The plan is to make them a biweekly. We won't be doing one on the 18th because of Apex. Next one is tentatively Feb 1st, but we are going to talk with the venue before finalizing the date.

Results thread!!

http://smashboards.com/threads/mayhem-1-4-14-san-gabriel-ca.345325/

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
self-fist pump for not going (i couldve went but it woulda been pushing things). was almost positive it'd run late. not necessarily an indictment on your TOing skills (fwiw when/if i do go i have no prob helping re TO). just hard to get things right the first time.

how late DID it run? how many tvs did you get?

also fwiw, i do have like 4 tvs (and a power strip) i could bring, but i thought about your "self-serving" comment and decided that the greater good for both myself and the community is standing my ground here and not bringing anything w/o external incentive -shrugs-

Last edited:

MacD

Melee ended about 1, and PM like 2:30 or something idk. I just let PM do their own thing and it really backfired.

the main problem was we get setup capped by the venue at 30 setups total (we had more than that and i was promised at least 40 originally). i was expecting to have at least 20 for each instead of 15. that really hurt pools timing. Granted PM only had enough wii's for 15 setups. melee easily would have end 1.5+ hrs sooner if we had those 5 setups (especially if you include all the extra ones that didn't get used)

there are 2 glaring mistakes in my eyes what i did wrong that also added at least an hour+ to the total time, and then of course there is just time lost because of the double entrants and top melee players getting far in PM too. and time lost just being the first one and trying to figure things out. i already have a few ideas of how to fix the next one. also, if they increase the electrical capacity like they plan on doing so to accommodate more setups, things will go a lot better

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
sounds like if u cant get at least 40 (and prob 50) setups, pools will mean an ending time of 10pm.

since tos insist on having all day tourny affairs, i'll just stick to teams and opine for the good ole days of straight bracket

MacD

not sure where that is, but normally it's a combination of the location and the venue that determine where tourneys are held.

you want something centrally located and big enough to fit everyone/easy access/whatever

Paradoxium

Smash Master
not sure where that is, but normally it's a combination of the location and the venue that determine where tourneys are held.

you want something centrally located and big enough to fit everyone/easy access/whatever
Yea I was just asking cus the South is on the other side of the mountains, with South and South at its heart. Basically the long freeway drive is what keeps me from going to all the pm tournaments in California. Just wondering if I would ever live to see a local lol.

Last edited:

MacD

local is a very lose term. we had people driving 2+ hours to go to San Diego locals a few years ago

when i first started playing, i would drive 1 1/2 hours to get to tourneys in the bay area, and it would take 2+ hours if i picked up people from stockton (shoutouts to meep, kfc, etc)

going to the festizzio's tourneys would take us from Irvine about an hour.

and i know back in the day ROFL/Emerican were from Palmdale and they would drive out to LA/OC for tourneys.

hell, occasionally a guy from bakersfield has come to tourneys in LA.

tl;dr people drive a long way to get to these things

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
since 2006 i can only think of one tournament in antelope valley, and it was at rofl's house

that's your best bet. he lives in northridge now tho. i'm sure he still keeps in touch with some of the old school palmdale players. maybe you'll get lucky, befriend one, and get some good practice, in the process showing ur parents that you're serious.

keep bugging the hell out of your parents and they'll acquiesce. guaranteed.

MacD

So i've been getting a lot of requests about future Mayhem dates. Well guess what guys, WE FINALLY GOT THEM SET!!!! The list is below:

March 8th March 29
April 12
May 3rd
June 7th

We have to work around the venue's other events and big events like Pat's House (we were going to have a tourney that weekend), so you get these monthly with an extra random one in March cause why not!!!! More announcements to follow in the future, but i just wanted to throw these out there since I've been getting a lot of questions.

Arkitech

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1693-1969-3174
hello i am very new to playing project m or any smash game competitively so i would like to come on march 8th and meet you all to watch, learn and hopefully play some friendlies.i can provide a television a nintendo wii with project m if there is any need please let me know.

Top Bottom