• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 10, 2014] Project Mind Games and Brawling Hobby (LaSalle, Illinois)

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Officially presenting the second Smash Bros tournament at Mind Games Hobby!

For those of you who came to the last one, about a year ago, we had only Brawl. This time, we're going to have Project M and Brawl. As such, we're going to have Brawl on Saturday, May 10th and Project M on Sunday, May 11th. We will be having doubles and singles for both games on their respective days. If you have any questions, contact me here on Smashboards, via email, or on Facebook.

Here is a link to the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/456203807846853/
And a link to the All is Brawl page: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=14499

Events will be as follows:

Saturday, May 10th
Brawl

3:30 Venue opens
4:00 Set-up, registration opens.
4:30 Registration for Brawl Doubles ends
5:00 Brawl Doubles Begins
6:00 Registration for Brawl Singles ends
6:30 Brawl Singles begins (may start earlier or later depending on doubles)

Sunday, May 11th

Project M
3:30 Venue opens
4:00 Set-up
4:30 Registration for Project M Doubles ends
5:00 P:M Doubles Begins
6:00 Registration for P:M Singles ends
6:30 P:M Singles begins (may start earlier or later depending on doubles)

Prices and payout

Prices:
Venue: $5
Brawl and P:M Singles: $10
Brawl and P:M Doubles: $20 per team

Payout:
Brawl and P:M Singles:
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%

Brawl and P:M Doubles:
1st: 60%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%

Set-ups: Unfortunately, we cannot offer free venue for set-ups, but any set-ups brought will be greatly appreciated and we will forever be in your debt.

Now onto the rules!

Brawl:
After much consideration and due to the grand finals of Apex being very boring, Meta-Knight is BANNED in SINGLES play. Meta-Knight is not banned in doubles, though a double MK team is.

We will be using a slightly modified version of the Apex ruleset

Sets will be best of 3 matches.
  • 3 Stocks
  • 8 Minute Time Limit
  • Items set to “Off” and “None”
  • Pause may be requested to be turned off. This request cannot be denied.
  • All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  • There is a 50 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters except Ice Climbers with a limit of 60. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  • The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time coincidentally, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 25 is used for all characters.
    • If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins.
  • Ear-side coaching during matches is not allowed. You may offer advice during a match but both players must be able to hear it.
Modified Doubles Rules

• Team Attack set to “On”
  • Double Meta Knight is banned
  • Life stealing is allowed
  • If a team's combined ledge-grab goes higher than 70 grabs, then that match is forfeit. If both teams exceed the limit, this rule is ignored. If your team consists of no less than two sets of Ice Climbers (God help you) this limit is increased to 90.
  • If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
Set Procedure

1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on.
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counter-pick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.
Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.

Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Stage list:

Starters

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks

Battleship Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza

Stage-striking:
1-2-1

Further rules for stages:
  • Dave's Stupid Rule: A player/team may not counter-pick to the stage they have won on in the current set.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it.
  • Scrooging (the act of traveling below a stage) IS ALLOWED (due to there being no MK).

Project M:

This will be our own ruleset
Sets will be best of 3 matches.

General rules
  • 4 Stocks
  • Timer set to 8 minutes
  • If you start a match with Giga Bowser, we will assume you made a mistake. Silly you. Restart your match, apply common sense, and just don't use him.
  • All items set to "off" and "none"
  • Buffer turned off
  • Pause turned off
  • No stalling. Finish your match to the best of your ability.
  • Any infinites are allowed up to 300%
    • Anywhere past that will count as stalling.
  • There is a ledge-grab limit of 50 grabs per character (with the exception of Ice Climbers with 60).
    • Going over the limit forfeits the match. If both players go over the limit, then this rule is ignored.
  • Coaching rules are the same as they are for Brawl. You can speak your advice, but both players must be able to hear it. No ear-side coaching.
  • If there is any dispute over going first for controller-port selection, character selection, stage striking, etc. it will be determined by G&W judgement or coin flip.
Stages (look closely; this is not the Apex list):

Starters:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Dreamland 64
  • Green-hill Zone
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Warioware
Counterpicks:
  • Metal Cavern
  • Skyloft
  • Skyworld
  • Dracula's Castle
  • Rumble Falls
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Norfair
  • Lylat Cruise
Stage striking will go 1-2-2-1-1-1
The winner of a match may ban any of the three stages on the counterpicks and starter stages. You may not counterpick a stage that you have previously won on in a set.

Additional rules/clarifications for Doubles:
  • Life-stealing is allowed
  • Team-attack is on
  • Ledge-grab limit is increased to 70 for each team

Additional rules for both games:
  • Set-ups with custom music and menus (as long as they are non-intrusive) are allowed. Custom costumes, stages, movesets, or sound effects are not allowed.
    • If a player requests to use a different, non-modded setup, then that request cannot be denied.
  • If a Wii loses power, crashes, or freezes in the middle of a match and the cause was to no fault of a player, that match will be restarted with the same characters on the same stage.
  • Any player or team may request a double-blind pick for their first match.
  • No custom controller with performance enhancers (such as turbo-buttons). Customizations, such as removing springs from shoulders or using alternate control-sticks is permitted.
  • If there is any rule, stage, character, mod, etc that both players or teams agree upon, they may use said modification to the rules.
    • Remember: Real men fight on Temple with motion-sensor bombs.
If you have any questions, requests, or feel like shootin the breeze, feel free to contact me via email or Facebook.
We hope to see everyone there!

Last edited:

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
For PM you might need to modify your stage striking procedure. In your ruleset there are 8 legal neutrals, yet the stage striking you list is 1-2-2-1. That leaves 2 stages left

Just as a heads up :)

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
For PM you might need to modify your stage striking procedure. In your ruleset there are 8 legal neutrals, yet the stage striking you list is 1-2-2-1. That leaves 2 stages left

Just as a heads up :)
Whoops, thanks.
I switched it to 1-2-2-2. Does that seem fair?

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
I mean it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I would suggest making the neutral list an odd number of stages so that each person can have an equal amount of strikes :)

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
I mean it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I would suggest making the neutral list an odd number of stages so that each person can have an equal amount of strikes :)
Yeah, that's what I was think, too. Fixed.
So, you interested in coming, or just a friendly person offering advice?

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
I'd be down to go, but it's about 2 hours away from my house.

If I can go I will, but idk if I'll be able to.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Also the stage striking is still not correct, 1-2-2-1-1 leaves 2 stages left :)
The two left are the ones that the last person chooses from. An extra 1 would just be a redundant strike. Though I suppose I should add that last strike as clarity. I shall do so.
Anyway, it'd be cool to have you there. We're hoping for a decent turn-out, but it really depends on who all is interested in going and will be there.
So do you play Brawl or P:M or both?

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Cool stuff. I enjoy myself some Melee, but I don't play it competitively, even though it's what first got me into Smash.
I was introduced to the competitive scene with Brawl, and got into P:M through that. I quite enjoy both of them. Well, I enjoy any Smash, really.

Vannostrum

Smash Rookie
I'd like to make the PM tournament, but its Mother's Day with family from out of town and also a day after my sister's graduation. My chances aren't looking great, but you can bet I'll be there if I can be.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Do yall have a logo for the tournament? If not ill be willing to make one.
Hey, that'd be awesome. We'd love that.

I'd like to make the PM tournament, but its Mother's Day with family from out of town and also a day after my sister's graduation. My chances aren't looking great, but you can bet I'll be there if I can be.
It'd be great if you can make it, but if not, I completely understand. I had totally forgotten that it was Mother's Day. I'm a terrible son.

Sago

Smash Lord
How many people were at the last one? I'm trying to assemble a role call. Its a bit of a drive for me so i want to make sure people will be there :3.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
How many people were at the last one? I'm trying to assemble a role call. Its a bit of a drive for me so i want to make sure people will be there :3.
Well, the last one was only vanilla Brawl (for which the competitive scene is minuscule in the midwest), so we only had around 10 to 15 people. With this being Project M, we'll be expecting more. We're also looking to make it a monthly event, so coming and spreading word will help make it grow.

My friend just got sick so it seems like I won't be able to come. Epic sad face.
Ah man, that sucks. Hopefully he feels better. Next time, though! I'll shoot you a message when we get it figured out.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
No problem. Thanks again for the logo and everything. Let me know if you're gonna be in the area any time and we can see about meeting up to play some.

Top Bottom