• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Aug 7, 2015] Last PM @ The Office before Hiatus (San Marcos CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
My friends and I are really considering going, we picked up smash just a few months ago and we are eager to get our hands on the community. But we are completely terrified to start. Is this still alive?

Segarin

Smash Apprentice
My friends and I are really considering going, we picked up smash just a few months ago and we are eager to get our hands on the community. But we are completely terrified to start. Is this still alive?
Oh this is very much still alive, most of our discussion is done through facebook tho, we had around 30 ppl last friday and a lot of insanely good players, come on out and play some of us, we'll teach u some stuff!

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Oh good! That's a huge relief, it sounds like a ton of fun and terrifying at the same time. We all really hope we can make it. We have our own Wii, GameCube controllers as well as a copies of melee and brawl. I'm afraid we don't have an extra tv to bring however. Also im guessing age restrictions are 18 and up or is it 21 and up?

Segarin

Smash Apprentice
Oh good! That's a huge relief, it sounds like a ton of fun and terrifying at the same time. We all really hope we can make it. We have our own Wii, GameCube controllers as well as a copies of melee and brawl. I'm afraid we don't have an extra tv to bring however. Also im guessing age restrictions are 18 and up or is it 21 and up?
Actually, there aren't any age restrictions, I mean the majority of people are gonna be over 18, but we've had as young as 13 come out to our events. We have 5 TVs @ the office at all times and bringing an xtra setup is always a nice in case something happens to one of them. Here is the facebook page for the San Diego Project M scene as a whole https://www.facebook.com/groups/SanDiegoPM/ Like I said, no need to be terrified, even if you get four stocked, ask the person how u can improve and I guarantee they'll do their best to help you. We're all friendly and usually end up staying super late after the tourneys to play like mario party or other random stuff =P

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Oh good! My friends and I are getting more and more relaxed as time passes, sounds like we will see you there. And after digging around a bit I found a large(ish) and old(ish) TV, sounds like you might need it. Of course ill need it back whenever we leave but it sounds like that won't be until very late!

Last edited:

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I'm familiar/somewhat good with a GCN controller, but I've never actually HAD one.
Do you guys have any down there that I could buy for around 20$? Or just possible borrow that night?

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Alright, so I'm familiar/somewhat good with a GCN controller, but I've never actually HAD one.
Do you guys have any down there that I could buy for around 20$? Or just possible borrow that night?
I've got an extra one if you need a borrow. Should be no problem. If you like the controller enough, beat me and you can have it for 15.

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Are they more expensive than 20? Had to order mine from hong kong and it was much less too.

Last edited:

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
I've got an extra one if you need a borrow. Should be no problem. If you like the controller enough, beat me and you can have it for 15.
Competition :D
Ill try and be there this friday, but I got finals, we'll see!

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Competition :D
Ill try and be there this friday, but I got finals, we'll see!
Haha sounds like fun, still trying to work out if I can make it or not. Hope you can make it. I've never played anybody outside of my friends (or one time my math tutor). So don't expect a professional player haha.

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Haha sounds like fun, still trying to work out if I can make it or not. Hope you can make it. I've never played anybody outside of my friends (or one time my math tutor). So don't expect a professional player haha.
Thats a relief, same story here. The biggest event I've ever done is a tourney at my friends house.

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Thats a relief, same story here. The biggest event I've ever done is a tourney at my friends house.
How did you place in the tourney? Would you consider yourself good? I've never touched PM in my life so im not sure if I would do well

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
How did you place in the tourney? Would you consider yourself good? I've never touched PM in my life so im not sure if I would do well
I got to "semifinals" were I got killed by a Wolf that spammed lasers and jumped to the other side. I've gotten at least 4x better since then, that was back in October '14. I would consider myself a little over average now that I've gotten most of the standard techniques down well. That'll probably change since I'm about to go to a tournament. If you've played Melee a lot, Project M will just feel like a true sequel too it; it's basically the same but 2% easier since you get 2 extra frames for L-Cancelling and Wavedashing than in Melee. The best of luck to you and I hope to see you on Friday!

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Just to be absolutely sure, this is starting on friday at 6 and ends at midnight right? Looks Im going to be bringing more than just a few friends. We all cant wait. Just making absolutely sure

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Just to be absolutely sure, this is starting on friday at 6 and ends at midnight right? Looks Im going to be bringing more than just a few friends. We all cant wait. Just making absolutely sure
Thats when the singles bracket starts I think. (1v1 tournament)
Doubles (2v2s) start at 5:40 if I'm remembering correctly.

Last edited:

Segarin

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Venue opens @ 5:30 PM on Friday, the tournaments themselves usually last until around 11-midnight, and then we stick around afterwards playin friendlies till whenever, we also open up tvs for friendlies as the tourney moves along, also we have friendlies open all the way up until doubles starts.

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Venue opens @ 5:30 PM on Friday, the tournaments themselves usually last until around 11-midnight, and then we stick around afterwards playin friendlies till whenever, we also open up tvs for friendlies as the tourney moves along, also we have friendlies open all the way up until doubles starts.
Are there friendlies to warm up for singles? Cus I'm just gonna play singles.

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Friends and I hauling my gear and a Tv, should we come earlier to set up?

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
-- Can't attend 3/13
-- Will attend 3/20, bringing a friend and my own controller! :D

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Was a ton of fun, all my friends and I have never played project M. But now we are going to get it and practice for next time. Everybody was friendly, open, and open to new players which was a huge plus, guy running the event was awesome, cant wait for next time.

Last edited:

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Was a ton of fun, all my friends and I have never played project M. But now we are going to get it and practice for next time. Everybody was friendly, open, and open to new players which was a huge plus, guy running the event was awesome, cant wait for next time.
ME TOO IM BRINGING TWO PEOPLE AND I HAVE A HALF DAY AT SCHOOL :D

Segarin

Smash Apprentice
Appreciate the feedback man, also really haopy you all had fun, growing the scene is what i wanna do above all else and im really happy to hear u guys are gonna get PM and start practicing, keep cin and playin some of SD's finest, they are always willing to give tips and mini analysis of your play in game

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Appreciate the feedback man, also really haopy you all had fun, growing the scene is what i wanna do above all else and im really happy to hear u guys are gonna get PM and start practicing, keep cin and playin some of SD's finest, they are always willing to give tips and mini analysis of your play in game
Do you know how to play Fox well? I'm trying to learn him but when I want to do Nair I do the horrible Fair. I guess Ill just have to go on training and short hop nair all day until I do it automatically.

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Try to get the Homebrew version, it loads up so much quicker.

Segarin

Smash Apprentice
Do you know how to play Fox well? I'm trying to learn him but when I want to do Nair I do the horrible Fair. I guess Ill just have to go on training and short hop nair all day until I do it automatically.
Unfortunately thats all u can really do, if u r fairing when ur trying to approach with nair it means that ur holding the control stick too long, u basically wanna short hop while holding the stick in the direction u wanna go and then comepletely let go of the direction before hitting 'A', also his fair does have its uses, situational as they may be

Last edited:

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Was pretty hot last time. Was wondering if you guys would need some fans for next time, im sure we can find some to bring mabey it should be encouraged to bring a few. Also does anybody know where to buy a cheap no lag tv?

Segarin

Smash Apprentice
Was pretty hot last time. Was wondering if you guys would need some fans for next time, im sure we can find some to bring mabey it should be encouraged to bring a few. Also does anybody know where to buy a cheap no lag tv?
The fans help but with that many ppl and the weather getting hotter in a small room... not much u can do about it, crts r easy to find, Craigslist and/or thrift stores

Last edited:

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Aww dammit my hands are gonna sweat :/

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Alright, me and a friend will be there!

EDIT: What time does singles bracket end? I can't stay until 1AM, only until 1-12, 12 pushing it.
I don't think I'll make it to finals anyways, but still.

Last edited:

Kid1999

Smash Rookie
Will we be able to play some friendlies if u do not sign up for tournament play?

Kid1999

Smash Rookie
Also what's the earliest time we can show up (if not bringing a setup?)

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
Will we be able to play some friendlies if u do not sign up for tournament play?
Yeah but its highly encouraged to sign up for something. If your coming this far out you should give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom