• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maximilian Presents: Assist Me! Super Smash Bros. 4

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Earlier this week, it was announced that FGC figure and all-around cool guy Maximilian would be creating an Assist Me! series around the newest Smash Bros. game, Smash 4. The series starts tonight with an intro to Smash. The series clearly has a broader audience in mind so nothing incredibly complex is featured here, but it's a great start, and the skits are pretty funny as always. Note that there is some vulgar language (mostly from Doom) so this is definitely NSFW.

Assist Me! LEARN TO SMASH
What did you think? Did you like the skits? Learn anything new? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is going to go put his weekend to good use. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Well I enjoyed that.
Who woulda thought Link was Scottish....though Hylian lore and art reminds me of scottish lore a bit...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Link looks suspiciously like Big Boss.

Eh, probably just coincidence. The video is hilarious and I haven't even finished it.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
This was pretty informative. I admit, did not know about reverse aerials, and i had iffy knowledge on shielding after a dash, knew everything else though.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
One thing they missed that should've been covered, was running off of a ledge. But, I still loved it! Always found these types of videos to be enjoyable.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Just watched it, and it was AWESOME! :chuckle:
Yeah,I think the part " smash bros isn't a fighting game " bit was an unnecessary addition. But besides that,I enjoyed it.
I agree with you 100%. But what that quote shows, is that certain number of people who hates Smash generally or just Sm4sh and/or thinks that Sm4sh will never reach the competitive level, would typically say often. So yeah. :ohwell:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Just watched it, and it was AWESOME! :chuckle:

I agree with you 100%. But what that quote shows, is that certain number of people who hates Smash generally or just Sm4sh and/or thinks that Sm4sh will never reach the competitive level, would typically say often. So yeah. :ohwell:
Thanks. ^^ It just annoys me because the doom actor just summed up how most of the players in Fgc feel about smash,in general.I feel like that segment doesn't need to be in there,especially for a tutorial video,even if it was directed by max who is part of that community anyways.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Thanks. ^^ It just annoys me because the doom actor just summed up how most of the players in Fgc feel about smash,in general.I feel like that segment doesn't need to be in there,especially for a tutorial video,even if it was directed by max who is part of that community anyways.
Exactly. Doom's lines stirred up more criticism than the game already has already in the CS on YT. But then again, people pretty much talk about it everyday. :ohwell:

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I really enjoyed that video. It really helped me understand techniques that I always knew about but could never figure exactly how to do. I love how Max gave precise instructions on how to pull everything he touched on.

Really good stuff.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Am surprised that it wasn't in-depth about Link, still it's definitely one of the best videos I've seen for learning the basics and non-character specific techniques.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Isn't Doom's character in this video a parody of the stereotypical L33t fighting gamer attitude when it comes to approaching Smash?
I'm sure they didn't meant it, it was just there to show how stupid it is to say something like that.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
This is hilarious! Probably my favourite Assist Me now! Link was kind of an asshole though. I mean, he ate Doom's yoghurt! HE ATE DOOM'S YOGHURT!

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Apparently Doctor Doom is Max's best friend now.

It's weird that Max used Doom in both the Smash and KI "Assist Me!" despite his lack of inclusion in said fighting games. I loved Max's version of Victor von Doom in the MvC3 "Assist Me!", but he's starting to become overused and out of place.

Oh, who am I kidding? Give that lovable dictator some more yogurt!

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
Max is a great dude and this is for sure a great Tutorial for beginners (whom are you know, >not< 8 years old)
hopefully he does some character specific ones. like megaman since i know he grinds him out, if assist me came back for sm4sh i'd be more than happy

SpScarecrow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4699-7829-1600
I hope he can do some character specific ones. Ike "I fight for my friends!" lol

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
I think you guys missed the point. Doom insulted Smash by saying it isn't a real fighting game and, in turn, got his ass kicked by our favourite hero in a green tunic. Link, a character from Smash, defeated Doom, a character from a so called "real" fighting game, therefore proving Smash is a real fighting game.

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the video itself: Loved it. Hilarious and informative like all other Assist Me! videos. I already knew everything here but this is one thing you DEFINITELY want to show a beginner. Max should have covered special moves and how they help you recover back on stage though.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
It's pretty sad how some guys are offended over a character saying Smash ain't a real fighting game when it obviously doesn't reflect on the director's views.

That being said, this was awesome, and I never knew about the B-Air trick until just now!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If you're upset about Doom saying Smash isn't a real fighting game, you need to realize that the Doom in Assist Me is consistently characterized as a scrubby manchild throughout the show. He frequently espouses a number of opinions that Max vehemently disagrees with, specifically in order to give Max a sounding board to direct his arguments toward.

In this case, Doom's outburst felt consistent with the character, especially in context, but it also served as an opening for Max to address the fallacious opinion down the road.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
If this contains language that's NSFW, then it's unsuitable for SmashBoards. We all had to agree to the rems of membership, and it's only fair that the boards be expected to live by the same rules.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Gotta say, this was a great tutorial, and I always enjoy the shenanigans of the Assist Me series.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Glad to see people actually liked this, I remember when the teaser came out almost no one had faith in it.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Glad to see people actually liked this, I remember when the teaser came out almost no one had faith in it.
I feel like I was one of the few who had faith in it, mainly because I have following Max's channel for some time now.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
1 for 1 mode - best Smash 4 online mode.

This was nice though, goes over basics, as well as giving some basic techniques to get people started.

Top Bottom