• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Analysis #2 - Captain Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
LADIES, GENTLEMAN AND PEOPLE OF ALL GENDERS, WELCOME TO OUR SECOND LITTLE MAC MATCH-UP DISCUSSION.

IN THIS CORNER, A PARAGON OF MASCULINITY, WITH BLOOD BURNING IN A HIGH OCTANE MIX OF ADRENALIN, TESTOSTERONE AND THE BURNING FIRES OF THE SOUL, HIS REPUTATION AS AN F ZERO RACER, BOUNTY HUNTER AND INTERNET MEME IS AN ICONIC LEGEND, BEING A CHAMPION OF BOTH ZeRo's AND THE PEOPLE FOR FOUR SMASHING GAMES. ONCE WEAKENED BY A CRIPPLING BRAWL BUT NOW POWERFUL ONCE MORE, HE DELIVERS AWE AND WONDER TO FRIEND AND FOE A LIKE WITH HIS DEVASTATING FALCON PUNCH, HE IS HERE TO SHOW YA HIS MOVES, KNOWN BY FEW AS DOUGLAS JAY FALCON, BUT TO ALL AS CAPTAAAAAAIN FAAAAAALCOOOOON!

CAN THE BRUISER FROM THE BRONX HOLD HIS GROUND TO THIS MIGHTY VETERAN? OR WILL HE LAG TOO FAR BEHIND THE LIGHTSPEED MIGHT OF THIS LEGEND? ONE THING IS FOR SURE, "WINNING ISN'T ABOUT BEING LUCKY, IT'S ABOUT BEING BOLD."

DISCUSS!

Opening post intro created by @ TakeYourHeart TakeYourHeart . Thank you for creating it for the thread!
Discussion will end by August 4th.

Last edited:

Actilide

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Actilide
3DS FC
5300-9499-3228
Falcon's aerial game is really strong and if you get grabbed you'll probably get combo'd really hard

On the other side of things, it is super easy to stop falcon from recovering as dsmash covers a lot of ground and falcons recovery is really predictable.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
hmm...there is a lot of depth in this matchup, so ill split it into the 3 main phases: neutral, follow-up, and recovery phase.

1. neutral
Captain falcon: he has the second fastest running animation, so he is faster than mac, and his grab is ridiculously strong. his aerials give him mobility and versatility, which will keep mac on his toes. in short, falcon can attack from the ground or the air in multiple ways, and can force mac into uncomfortable situations.
Little mac: while falcon is faster than mac, it isn't by much, and is negligible, since his is the 3rd fastest. macs tilts come out ridiculously fast, and his jab or tilts can interrupt falcons grab if thrown out soon enough. macs smashes also are dangerous for falcon, as they can super armor through his attacks, as they are telegraphed (especially some of his aerials), so falcon has to play less aggressively than he is used to, since he can get punished for it. macs grab is very bad however, so falcon playing defensively by using shield isn't a hard transition for him.
verdict: both characters rely HEAVILY on the neutral game, their characters focus, speed, and design reflect this. falcon has advantage with aerial attacks and grabs, but mac has the advantage in terms of super armor and faster ground moves. in my opinion, the characters themselves are dead even in the neutral game, its the playstyles of the players and how skilled each is that will determine the victor in the neutral phase.

2. follow-up
Falcon: i must say that falcon has better follow-ups than mac by far, and mac is easy to juggle. his throws can lead to almost all of his aerials, and his d-air can even string into itself if the player doesn't tech. while i don't know a ton about all his combos, his throw combos are his bread and butter, and there is little stopping him when he gets his string or combo started.
Mac: sad to say, but there isn't a lot going for mac here, since he isn't a combo character in general. there are some important things to consider though. falcon is a fast faller, which means you can combo your dtilt together at low percents, and follow it with a ftilt, his dthrow also creates strings with his fair, and he can use his nair to break combo strings. counter can be used as hard reads as well to discourage be juggled. utilt is useful as well, and can string with up-b. there is potential, although its not a vast amount.
verdict: little mac has a clear disadvantage here, since falcon is just better at combos than mac is. mac has to make his follow-ups count when he sees them, and try his best to not leave the ground. but its still going to be difficult to avoid. falcon just has to keep doing what he's doing, and doesn't have to change his playstyle in his follow-up phase that much.

3. recovery phase- im going to put this out there, this is a nightmare for both sides.
falcon: while his recovery is better than macs (not by much though) he has an issue changing up his approaches. his recoveries are easily telegraphed, and macs d-smash is scary good against his side-b and up-b. on the other hand, he can easily gimp mac when he has the stage. his dair, nair, fair, hell all of his aerials are effective means to get the job done and his utilt can force it as well. falcon is in a candy store making up his mind on which way to humiliate mac when hes gimping him. as long as he mixes up his recovery, he shouldn't have to much of a problem. better yet, don't go off the stage at all.
mac: so...yeah...hes my main, but he has a difficult time getting back. the one thing going for him is that if there is a wall, it improves his recovery, and opens up numerous recovery options. but he only has three main approaches: go low and up-b, go high and side-b, or counter and pray he takes the bait. however he can gimp falcon relatively easily, as d-smash covers his low approach most of the time, and up smash covers any high recoveries. he can even gimp with a bair on his up b if timed correctly, or go for a dair, nair, or fair, depending on the situation, and it will do the trick.
verdict: PTSD. if either falcon or mac get knocked off the stage, its a scramble to get back, as both throw out an approach and hope for the best. falcon has a few more options, but mac has super armor to protect him from offensive approaches that falcon throws out.

i could go much more into it, each characters move set, play styles used for each characters, common tactics and follow-ups, gimping methods, frame data and how they clash, and so on. this is more of a general summary and analysis. ill go more into certain topics on it later on.

55/45 falcon/mac. this is how i feel it is in competitive play, and how it turns out for me more or less. buts its almost dead even.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I have to agree with Jet56 on this one. The neutral game is pretty even, as is the recovery phase, but Falcon's ability to combo and juggle mac puts it in his favor a bit. It helps that Mac can play pretty much how he always does while Falcon is forced to be less aggressive than usual, and a Falcon who is unfamiliar with the matchup is in for a lot of hurt, but on a professional level I'd put this at about 55/45 Falcon as well.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
What's a good strategy for dealing with captain falcon's grab?

Laitome

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0929-1203
Disclaimer: Haven't fought any really good falcons in tourney, but here are my thoughts:

I actually believe the neutral is in mac's favor even with platforms as long as mac can reach those platforms with upsmash. My reasoning being is that all of Falcons grounded approach options are beaten by either d-tilt and f-tilt, both of which are hard moves to punish in the neutral, and all of Falcon's aerial approach options are punishable by jab or f-tilt, even falcon's b-air isn't safe against f-tilt. Falcon may have a faster run-speed but barely. Mac is faster at everything else on the ground and you shouldn't be in the air as little mac.

Outside of that I agree with jet56 but I would rate the MU as even or 55/45 mac/falcon

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Disclaimer: Haven't fought any really good falcons in tourney, but here are my thoughts:

I actually believe the neutral is in mac's favor even with platforms as long as mac can reach those platforms with upsmash. My reasoning being is that all of Falcons grounded approach options are beaten by either d-tilt and f-tilt, both of which are hard moves to punish in the neutral, and all of Falcon's aerial approach options are punishable by jab or f-tilt, even falcon's b-air isn't safe against f-tilt. Falcon may have a faster run-speed but barely. Mac is faster at everything else on the ground and you shouldn't be in the air as little mac.

Outside of that I agree with jet56 but I would rate the MU as even or 55/45 mac/falcon
hmm...i guess its time to go more in depth on how their moves clash. ill list falcons moves that is ten frames or less:
jab: 3
dsh att: 7
ftilt: 9
nair: 7
uair: 6
grab: 7 dash grab: 9

now little macs 10 frame or under moves:
jab: 1
dash att:4
dtilt:3
ftilt:4
utilt:5
upsmash(sweetspot):10
dsmash:10
nair:2
fair:10
uair:5
dair:7
grab:9 dash grab:10
jolt haymaker(earliest input):9
rising uppercut:3
slip counter(active):4

so, in short, macs frame data is GODLY. but we all knew this. falcons jab is the only thing thats faster than most of macs moves. and that doesn't generally clash well with any of macs tilts. falcons uair cant really be utilized, so that leaves his dash attack, nair, and grab as well as ftilt. all of little macs tilts, macs jab, his uppercut, and counter all come out faster. which means it can break all of his moves. so when a mac player is playing falcon, he just has to throw out tilts and he'll be safe, as long as he is spacing it right. for falcon, his best approaches are his grab, dash grab, dash attack, and nair. which means he will be shielding and dodging quite a lot, but his shield grab can punish macs approaches. ive found that mac wins clashes more or less in neutral, and that more often than not, a falcon player wins because he takes every opportunity he has to grab mac.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Falcon main here.

Mac is better in the neutral. His jab stuffs most of our approaches, dtilt combos into Little Mac stuff for quite a long percentage range and is nearly impossible to punish. Ftilt is hard to punish and is an excellent GTFO move due to super armor. The slightest slip, however, gets Mac punished by dashgrab. From there on, it gets ugly for Little Mac.

SH Nair tends to be a favorite follow-up option after Falcon's dthrow and can combo into itself at lower damages, potentially carrying Little Mac offstage. More seasoned Falcons may go to the airdodge read > knee or an uair under Little Mac, as the right positioning makes Counter whiff.

SideB attempts to recover get mostly punished by Falcon FSmash's ridiculously long disjoint. UpB will get equally punished if mispaced to the least. Stages with diagonal ledge inferiors are the optimal choice as they allow for Mac's UpB to hit below Falcon if he tries a gruesome edgeguard. Falcon's dtilt sends Little Mac at an obscenely bad angle for recovery, but is mildly punishable.

When Falcon recovers, it's Little Mac's time to shine. Falcon is horribly easy to gimp, even a dair on his head when upBing from below may do the trick. If Falcon is directly below the ledge and upBs towards it, he's either quickly sweetspotting it or manlily trying to grab less reactive edgeguarders. In both cases you can downsmash his recovery when timed correctly. If he has to resort to max distance upB, he won't sweetspot the ledge so nicely, so downsmash is a neat answer again.

I'd say this MU favors Falcon 60:40, though any mistake from each side is very costly, and many shenanigans can happen at any given time.

Edit: our bair is easier to punish on shield now due to 1.1.0 nerfs.

Last edited:

monzer

Smash Journeyman
As a Falcon main, I can say that Mac defin has the neutral in his favor. However, the moment falcon gets a grab or attack in, he can combo Mac very easy, maybe even leading into Little Mac's death. Little Mac also is easily killed by Falcon once he is off stage because os his horrible recovery. The Captain is also easily edgegaurded by Mac too, so if any side makes a mistake, it could lead to an early death.

I would say the match is 57/43 in Falcon's favor, but it really comes down to the players.

TakeYourHeart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
solemnpancake
Pretty much everyone has covered my thoughts. The matchup is really even and player dependent, so I'll cover some specific options on both sides (more Mac though since duh).
  • Falcons: Do not dash-attack as a follow up. We will counter it super hard.
  • Grounded Falcon Kick is a solid mix-up tool, so if a Falcon does that often, down or foward smash.
  • I know Falcon Punch is the ultimate disrespect/early kill, but between super armour and a counter are you really gonna risk it? (I mean it leads to the most epic replays but you know).
  • Falcons follow ups may be superior, but they may have trouble killing off them if you jump at the right time.
  • Both sides of this match-up need to pressure each other in order to force a mistake, but don't be afraid to back up to lure them into a sudden attack. It's a punish, read and mix-up heavy match-up. Play aggressive and fast, but calculated.
  • If with Customs, Mac should go with the second side-b as it makes a chunk of his recovery un-gimpable.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
The Captain Falcon Discussion is now closed. It seems we have covered this fairly well, but we will be revisiting it in the future for sure. The next discussion will be in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom