• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Thread 5: Sheik

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Discuss :4luigi: vs. :4sheik:

I can't say that the match-up is definitely even, but I think that Luigi can stand against her.
I do have a problem with Sheik's fair since it is very quick, leaving Luigi very little room to breath or react.
He can, however, counter some of her more devious combos. Her f-tilt combos, while very good, can broken with his neutral air. The neutral air is key here as some of her combos do become less effective (and could potentially KO her if she isn't careful at certain percents). Her down throw to Bouncing Fish can easily be air dodged by Luigi, making a key combo less effective; just DI away from her and if she initiates it, air dodge.
Fireballs are mildly effective, but I am more of a fan of using aerials and the Luigi Cyclone to approach with in this fight.
I suggest mixing up recoveries to stay unpredictable. She has a lot of great options that can screw us over, like Bouncing Fish, her fair, and her back air. (also, her Needles have more priority than the Green Missile... for some reason)
One distinct advantage that we have over Sheik is KOing power. While Sheik does have a great ability to combo and dish out damage, she has difficulty actually getting the KO. Luigi, on the other hand, can KO her a bit more early and has a greater number of finishers.

I think this match-up may require patience on our part. If we go in guns blazing, then we will be combo meat to her and the damage will quickly rack up.
I'll need to investigate more on good strategies against Sheik.
Luigi doesn't seem to have many options against Sheiks grenade, Sheik can come in with a grab when she uses a grenade and from then on can get off a good amount of forward airs. Its always good to know when she is going to do a walk off Grenade Ledge cancel and to not be trapped by it, it really gives her lots of momentum. The annoying thing about the Grenade ledge cancel is that you cant punish very easily.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Not too bad for Luigi IMO.

Sheik will try to overwhelm you with speed and shield pressure. Don't let her do as she pleases. She can outcamp you on the ground cuz Needles are faster and have more range than Fireball. I play this MU at midrange. Sheiks won't normally Needle at midrange but won't hesitate to if you Fireball too much. Use them to apply pressure but don't spam. From what I've seen, Sheik plays best when she's the aggressor. Pressuring her gives her a bit of trouble. Attacking her shield is generally safe because she can't kill with grabs. Her best OoS option would probably be Nair. She's a fast faller so she's susceptible to hefty grab combos.

When Sheik is pressuring with Fairs, it's best to just reset the situation. If she does it right, you can't shield grab because her jabs or even Ftilts come out too fast. If she is applying constant aerial pressure, just Usmash because it's a decent anti-air. Cyclone works wonders against overly aggressive Sheiks as well. Use it but don't abuse it.

Sheik has crazy edgeguarding skills. I personally have not fought against a great edgeguarding Sheik but I've seen it. Watching how she tries to edgeguard you is the best way I can think to stop her onslaught. Recovering with rising Cyclone can stop almost all of her options. Trying to edgeguard Sheik is pretty tough for Luigi, especially if she's not predictable. Bouncing Fish has a lot of priority and maybe a well-timed Fair can stop it. She's invincible during Up B and contesting it could lead to your death or a lot of damage.

Pretty general stuff I said. Possibly because all Sheiks play very differently so it's more about adapting to the player. Luigi can win with proper spacing mixed with aggression.

Luigi goes even with Sheik

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
7-3 in sheiks favor
Sheik can wall luigi out easily by using arials and needles. Luigi hates being walled out.
Sheik can edge guard luigi pretty dang good
Luigi can combo and kill sheik early though but this is hard with sheik walling you out so much and having the safest recovery in the game.
Its hard to get out of sheiks combos because she's in a different place every time she does one.

It can be a struggle but if you know what you're doing its diffenetally possible

Top Bottom