• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman Explodes In Smash 4! We Await for Results

Do you support Bomberman?

• Total voters

Banana Waffle Deed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sapsiper
3DS FC
1263-6961-7801
"Literally impossible" is still closer to the reality than a vague "highly unlikely," given that Rare and its IPs are 100% wholly owned by Microsoft. Granted, it's been nearly seven years since the previous Smash Bros. title, it might be seven more until the next one. One might have said the same thing about Sonic the Hedgehog in 1994 or 1995, but look what happened. Had Melee gone into development a year or two later than it did, Sonic may have made his Smash debut sooner. But come on, Microsoft isn't going the way of Sega any time soon.

Bomberman, however, is a character owned by a third party that has a decent relationship with Nintendo, and the character itself has a long and mutually beneficial history with Nintendo. Sure, his popularity has waned, but you could say the same of other Smash characters before their first inclusion into the series on their Facebook page. Nintendo would get an iconic character from throughout gaming history, and Konami would actually make some money and boost the popularity of an IP that they purchased but aren't even using right now. Nintendo wins. Konami wins. Fans win. And the former people from Hudson get smiles on their faces.
I feel like if Bomberman fan base said something to Konami at a large scale about putting him SSB or a new game, Konami might consider it. I don't know if they would, I don't really know the company that well, but I was looking around Google and I found that Konami released Suikoden 1 on the Playstation Network after many fans commented on their Facebook page they should revive the series. I'm not saying people should spam Facebook for Bomberman but maybe the Bomberman pension that ChocolatePancake posted will show Konami they should make a new game or put him in SSB5 (I think it's too late in development for Bomberman to be put into the new games if he didn't already miraculously get in).

Apparently Konami posts about Bomberman on their official Konami fan page on Facebook, so they know that he exists. On top of that, it was updated often in march and may. According to the Suikoden article, the people that were in the Suikoden following when it started was 200 people, which grew into about 7,000 people. How many people liked the official Konami Bomberman fanpage? 702,273 people. That's huge. That's more than the official Bandi Namco Facebook page of America and Europe combined. Even the amount of 1/7th of the people that liked the Bomberman fan page tower over the puny amount of Suikoden followers.

Am I saying this solves all of Bomberman's problems? No, but it can certainly help if there's enough fan support and Konami is willing to listen.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I think it's time you guys finally got a new move from me!

Neutral Air - Self Destruct: Bomberman quickly presses a hitherto unseen button on his belt and an explosion emanates from the centre of his hurtbox, soon reaching 1.2 times his height in radius. This move has very little startup time but a carefully spaced move could potentially still hit Bomberman during the first few frames, before the explosion has completely encased him. There is also very little after lag, which, combined with the pretty good but rarely fatal radial knockback, would make this an insanely safe move. There is just one problem. It hurts both players equally. That's right, this move will damage both players for roughly nine percent, putting Bomberman at a significant disadvantage if he misses and so reducing its use to a last ditch "get off me!" attack.

Wish I knew which game this came from.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman has so many possibilities. His up B could have been his helicopter hat of Jet pack from Bomberman hero. Hell even incorporate Pommy into his moves if they wanted. His neutral B could have been Bomb charge if you held the button or bomb drop if you tap it. Forward B would of course allow him to toss bombs. They could have even incorporated a way for him to use different elemental bombs. His final smash could have been the revenge tank. it would act similarly to Snakes final smash. hopefully if smash wii u gets DLC or an expansion they will allow people to voice who they want in the game. There are a LOT of Bomberman fans around but I don't know if the fanbase is that vocal or not to let konami/nintendo know that they care.

D

Deleted member

So... with the recent leaks going around, it seems as though Snake is out... and it doesn't look good for him now. I sense that the next Smash Bros. speculation period might get a little rough now.
Once the games are released, it's time that we start requesting him massively. So massive that people from all over the world hear about how much we want him in Smash. Only then will Sakurai/some new director will hear about how much we want him that he'll include him.

The door has opened slightly.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
So... with the recent leaks going around, it seems as though Snake is out... and it doesn't look good for him now. I sense that the next Smash Bros. speculation period might get a little rough now.
Once the games are released, it's time that we start requesting him massively. So massive that people from all over the world hear about how much we want him in Smash. Only then will Sakurai/some new director will hear about how much we want him that he'll include him.

The door has opened slightly.
Fully agree! On nearly every smash related board or group I visit, people are greatly in favor of Bomberman being an option. If people are really behind him then we all need to be ready when the time comes to let it be known.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised this guy hasn't gotten into the series sooner. I loved Bomberman growing up, and I think he would have a unique playstyle.

ChristianPonte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChristianPonte
Maybe not *once* the games are released. I imagine the next game will take a minimum of 5 years to release, assuming Nintendo cuts their losses and rushes the Wii U's successor. But more than likely, 6-8 years. So maybe wait a few years, and then start a coordinated fan campaign, right before the time they start considering the roster? Twitter hashtags, viral YouTube campaign, coordinated emails, etc.

We can give it a cool Operation name and everything.

Then again, if it turns out DLC is going to be a thing, then we can get started right away.

Last edited:

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised this guy hasn't gotten into the series sooner. I loved Bomberman growing up, and I think he would have a unique playstyle.
in smash 64 I thought ness's black silhouette in the intro was actually Bomberman's with a few alterations lol. Really wish he was in smash since day one.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Ehh. Bomberman is now a Konami Character. We done have a Konami Character in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Maybe not *once* the games are released. I imagine the next game will take a minimum of 5 years to release, assuming Nintendo cuts their losses and rushes the Wii U's successor. But more than likely, 6-8 years. So maybe wait a few years, and then start a coordinated fan campaign, right before the time they start considering the roster? Twitter hashtags, viral YouTube campaign, coordinated emails, etc.

We can give it a cool Operation name and everything.

Then again, if it turns out DLC is going to be a thing, then we can get started right away.
This is something that I like to see happen. However, I cannot lead such a movement since I am not big on websites like Twitter and YouTube.

I think that I like the few years idea better instead of immediately after the games are released. I have to see what Nintendo and Sakurai are going to do with DLC.

in smash 64 I thought ness's black silhouette in the intro was actually Bomberman's with a few altercations lol. Really wish he was in smash since day one.
Same with me. Bomberman has been a dream of mine since Smash 64. I expected him in that game; I was disappointed that he didn't make it in. I heard 3rd party characters were going to be in Brawl; I expected him then and I was disappointed when he didn't show up.
I sense that his time will eventually come.

Ehh. Bomberman is now a Konami Character. We done have a Konami Character in Smash Bros.
Who says we can't have another?

D

Deleted member

Because then we would have to give SEGA, Capcom and Namco another rep.
Not true.
Bomberman and Snake are justifiable in their own rights; they are both iconic and legendary characters. I understand that only one could make it in, but I highly doubt that they would just force Konami to only have Snake as a character for the entirety of the Smash series, especially when people want characters like Bomberman and Simon Belmont.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Not true.
Bomberman and Snake are justifiable in their own rights; they are both iconic and legendary characters. I understand that only one could make it in, but I highly doubt that they would just force Konami to only have Snake as a character for the entirety of the Smash series, especially when people want characters like Bomberman and Simon Belmont.
People want multiple Sonic Characters to are they going to get it no.

D

Deleted member

People want multiple Sonic Characters to are they going to get it no.
Look, I know that you are pessimistic about Snake, but don't hate on Bomberman; he deserves to get in Smash as much as him. He has an amazing resume and a long-living legacy amongst Nintendo fans.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Look, I know that you are pessimistic about Snake, but don't hate on Bomberman; he deserves to get in Smash as much as him. He has an amazing resume and a long-living legacy amongst Nintendo fans.
I don't hate Bomberman.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Well that is why Snake had to get cut. When Sakurai saw that Konami absorbed Bomberman, he lost all interest in Snake. It's a fact that he is just not willing to make public yet lol.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well that is why Snake had to get cut. When Sakurai saw that Konami absorbed Bomberman, he lost all interest in Snake. It's a fact that he is just not willing to make public yet lol.
What!?!? No dude. Snake is the mascot of Konami. he would not drop Snake for Bomberman that's like saying Hey. NiGHTS let's replace Sonic for NiGHTS.

Hmmmm

Smash Cadet
NNID
Magykal
3DS FC
3883-7075-6475
Lol this is sooo late but... I haz moveset!

Jab Combo: Two punches, and a kick.

F-tilt: A strong jab

D-tilt: Bomberman jumps slightly from the force of palming the ground. Hits enemies on both sides.

U-tilt: Bomberman jabs the air above him.

Neutral Air: Bomberman spreads out his body in an angel-like pose.

Forward Air: Bomberman kicks in front of him, reminiscent of his jump kick in Dream Mix TV

Down Air: Bomberman pauses for a split second, and descends quickly with a knee jab, and an explosion will occur upon contact with the enemy, reminiscent of his move in Dream Mix TV

Up Air: Bomberman kicks in front of him, and spins counter-clockwise for a full flip.

Back Air: Bomberman does the same as his forward air, except backwards.

Forward Smash: Bomberman holds a bomb in front of him, and it explodes

Down Smash: Bomberman charges a bomb below him, and it explodes, rising him up a little bit.

Up Smash: Bomberman pulls out a wire with a fuse at the end, big range and power.

Neutral Special ~ Bomb Throw: Bomberman pulls out a bomb. He can then throw it in front of him, above him, or below him. The bomb will detonate upon contact with a surface or an enemy, causing an explosion.

Side Special ~ Wire Run: Upon pushing and holding the side-b input, Bomberman takes out a wire and runs, leaving a trail. When the side-b input is let go, Bomberman will let go of the wire and the fuse will start. If the fuse contacts the enemy, it will inflict massive damage and knockback. Bomberman is also vulnerable while running with the fuse.

Down Special ~ Bomb Set: Bomberman lays a bomb. The bomb will start black, and turn red until it explodes. It usually detonates in five seconds.

Up Special ~ Giant Bomb: Under Bomberman, a giant bomb appears. The bomb will explode, sending Bomberman flying. If the button is held, the direction can be chosen.

Final Smash ~ Bomberman Madness: The stage disappears and the retro Bomberman arcade stage appears. The enemies are frozen in place and Bomberman has infinite bombs. However, Bomberman only has 10 seconds to eliminate his enemies and not get blown up himself!

Also, the reason they dropped Snake is because Snake is (paraphrasing) too "hardcore" and such for Smash what with his guns and heavy artillery.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lol this is sooo late but... I haz moveset!

Jab Combo: Two punches, and a kick.

F-tilt: A strong jab

D-tilt: Bomberman jumps slightly from the force of palming the ground. Hits enemies on both sides.

U-tilt: Bomberman jabs the air above him.

Neutral Air: Bomberman spreads out his body in an angel-like pose.

Forward Air: Bomberman kicks in front of him, reminiscent of his jump kick in Dream Mix TV

Down Air: Bomberman pauses for a split second, and descends quickly with a knee jab, and an explosion will occur upon contact with the enemy, reminiscent of his move in Dream Mix TV

Up Air: Bomberman kicks in front of him, and spins counter-clockwise for a full flip.

Back Air: Bomberman does the same as his forward air, except backwards.

Forward Smash: Bomberman holds a bomb in front of him, and it explodes

Down Smash: Bomberman charges a bomb below him, and it explodes, rising him up a little bit.

Up Smash: Bomberman pulls out a wire with a fuse at the end, big range and power.

Neutral Special ~ Bomb Throw: Bomberman pulls out a bomb. He can then throw it in front of him, above him, or below him. The bomb will detonate upon contact with a surface or an enemy, causing an explosion.

Side Special ~ Wire Run: Upon pushing and holding the side-b input, Bomberman takes out a wire and runs, leaving a trail. When the side-b input is let go, Bomberman will let go of the wire and the fuse will start. If the fuse contacts the enemy, it will inflict massive damage and knockback. Bomberman is also vulnerable while running with the fuse.

Down Special ~ Bomb Set: Bomberman lays a bomb. The bomb will start black, and turn red until it explodes. It usually detonates in five seconds.

Up Special ~ Giant Bomb: Under Bomberman, a giant bomb appears. The bomb will explode, sending Bomberman flying. If the button is held, the direction can be chosen.

Final Smash ~ Bomberman Madness: The stage disappears and the retro Bomberman arcade stage appears. The enemies are frozen in place and Bomberman has infinite bombs. However, Bomberman only has 10 seconds to eliminate his enemies and not get blown up himself!

Also, the reason they dropped Snake is because Snake is (paraphrasing) too "hardcore" and such for Smash what with his guns and heavy artillery.
Thanks for the moveset! I added it to the OP!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So your an insider huh? Snake didn't use any "Guns" and Samus and Link uses heavy artillery. Let me ask you something Snake is to "hardcore" and Samus running around in Booty Shorts isn't hardcore?
(I have nothing against Samus or ZSS)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
What!?!? No dude. Snake is the mascot of Konami. he would not drop Snake for Bomberman that's like saying Hey. NiGHTS let's replace Sonic for NiGHTS.
Not really. Bomberman is an iconic part of Nintendo's past while NiGHTS is super niche.
It's more akin to putting in Megaman over Ryu. Ryu is the company's current mascot but Megaman is a gaming icon with a massive old school fan following and a far more fitting style and feel.
Both 'Man characters have a very specific set of unique combat abilities too.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Not really. Bomberman is an iconic part of Nintendo's past while NiGHTS is super niche.
It's more akin to putting in Megaman over Ryu. Ryu is the company's current mascot but Megaman is a gaming icon with a massive old school fan following and a far more fitting style and feel.
Both 'Man characters have a very specific set of unique combat abilities too.
Alright. Bomberman would be representing Hudson. That's not Konami creation Snake is. Snake has a unique moveset too that nobody could replace. CQC and Explosives.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You say nobody could replace Snake but, in actuality, very few of his moves require specific character traits. Just about anyone from a Rare shooter could theoretically have an almost identical moveset and, given how Assault played out, I could easily see the Starfox team sharing out his attacks.
The guy brought a lot to the series but it wouldn't have to go if he did.

But lets set aside our Snake related differences. He's not really important here. This is the Bomberman topic and, as you seem to now be agreeing, there is no reason to view the two as mutually exclusive.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
You say nobody could replace Snake but, in actuality, very few of his moves require specific character traits. Just about anyone from a Rare shooter could theoretically have an almost identical moveset and, given how Assault played out, I could easily see the Starfox team sharing out his attacks.
The guy brought a lot to the series but it wouldn't have to go if he did.

But lets set aside our Snake related differences. He's not really important here. This is the Bomberman topic and, as you seem to now be agreeing, there is no reason to view the two as mutually exclusive.
Both are Konami characters.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Both are Konami characters.
By way of technicality, yes. One is a former icon who's name and games are known by all Nintendo fans above about 15, a former crossover fighter star and starter of one of the most rehashed games out there. The other is a more recent pop culture legend who, while having provided a good deal of memes and stealth tropes, has far less tie to Nintendo.
One is a Konami character through and through, while the other simply became one when his company fell on hard times.
One has been requested by no end of Smash fans, while the other only ever had one request. Not because he wasn't wanted, mind, just because he entered the series too early for anyone to think he had a chance beforehand.

Both have their own merits and all they share is an AoE effect and a company. If, as Sakurai seems to suggest, it is the character that matters, there is absolutely no reason to consider them roster rivals.

ChristianPonte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChristianPonte
I feel like Konami would have no problem letting Nintendo use Bomberman and then reap the royalties from it -- it's not like they're making money off Bomberman at the moment. But I'm inclined to think if any Konami character is included, Konami will insist on or at least push for a character they think is more relevant to their plans going forward, since Smash does serve as a giant advertisement for the roster characters' games. But if Nintendo insists on the Bomberman character, I don't think Konami will deny them.

Banana Waffle Deed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sapsiper
3DS FC
1263-6961-7801
I personally don't want this thread to die. I think we start some kind of campaign spreading the news about Bomberman. Bomberman's popularity really died down after act zero, which pretty much killed him along with the fact Konami doesn't do anything but post about him on a Facebook page. :p

Well, at least there's some people telling Konami Bomberman should be DLC and person says they want a new game.

But I'm going to say this, if you literally didn't start gaming before 2010, I'm going to say you probably never heard of him. I've never would of heard about him unless a Youtuber I used to watch didn't mention him so frequently.

D

Deleted member

I personally don't want this thread to die. I think we start some kind of campaign spreading the news about Bomberman. Bomberman's popularity really died down after act zero, which pretty much killed him along with the fact Konami doesn't do anything but post about him on a Facebook page. :p
I'll be all for it. It might be a lost cause and a risk, but I'm willing to take such a movement. However... I don't have a Facebook... and I don't plan on getting one. :(
Regardless, I will support any major movement for him.

But I'm going to say this, if you literally didn't start gaming before 2010, I'm going to say you probably never heard of him. I've never would of heard about him unless a Youtuber I used to watch didn't mention him so frequently.
That scares me. It shows me that his popularity is fading. Still, his legacy will live on. I am a bit nervous in the next six years where the next hypothetical Smash game will be in development.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I feel like since Metal Gear isn't really that involved with Nintendo, and Konami has two other reps they could consider.
A) Bomberman B) Simon Belmont

I feel like Bomberman is a better fit for Smash, but Simon Belmont is a better replacement for Snake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like since Metal Gear isn't really that involved with Nintendo, and Konami has two other reps they could consider.
A) Bomberman B) Simon Belmont

I feel like Bomberman is a better fit for Smash, but Simon Belmont is a better replacement for Snake.
Honestly, I wish that we could have both Bomberman and Simon Belmont since they both have a history with Nintendo; they are Nintendo all-stars despite not being owned by Nintendo. If I had to choose one, I would easily choose Bomberman, but I wouldn't completely mind Simon Belmont.

Banana Waffle Deed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sapsiper
3DS FC
1263-6961-7801
Bomberman For DLC!!!
I would love that, though they haven't really noticed him in term of games.

I did some research on fan-revival projects and here's what I came up with for possibly reviving Bomberman (these are in no particular order):

• Create a Fan-run website (with a forum) for the project and for Bomberman in-general (with project updates, interviews, etc.)
  • Make accounts on social media for the project
  • (extremely unlikely we would have a situation to do this) If we could find an Konami employee (with a high rank) we could tell him/her thoughts and feelings and give the results to the president
  • It seems that memes/viral media is a great idea to spread campaigns if you can make it work
  • Create a day to send fan art and letters by the truckload, make the load as big as you can make it (I saw this with another fan project)
So any thoughts or suggestions about attempting a fan-revival or this list?

Even if this idea turns out to be a massive failure, I hope someday to see Bomberman in Super Smash Bros. (or at least seeing his series getting revived.) If Konami's not going to use him I rather see Nintendo buy him from them.

D

Deleted member

I did some research on fan-revival projects and here's what I came up with for possibly reviving Bomberman (these are in no particular order):

• Create a Fan-run website (with a forum) for the project and for Bomberman in-general (with project updates, interviews, etc.)
  • Make accounts on social media for the project
  • (extremely unlikely we would have a situation to do this) If we could find an Konami employee (with a high rank) we could tell him/her thoughts and feelings and give the results to the president
  • It seems that memes/viral media is a great idea to spread campaigns if you can make it work
  • Create a day to send fan art and letters by the truckload, make the load as big as you can make it (I saw this with another fan project)
So any thoughts or suggestions about attempting a fan-revival or this list?

Even if this idea turns out to be a massive failure, I hope someday to see Bomberman in Super Smash Bros. (or at least seeing his series getting revived.) If Konami's not going to use him I rather see Nintendo buy him from them.
For the first option, I would love to know someone with the technical know-how to create the website. If the website got some recognition, we can show Konami that people love and care about Bomberman.
The second option is a very good option in my opinion. We need to set up Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr accounts for the cause. I will even recommend making a hashtag on Twitter such as #Bomberman4Smash or #BombermanSmashDLC
If only the third one was possible...
The forth option seems to work nowadays. People are now getting publicity for their products thanks to memes. It's not surprise that it could work here.
The last option might work... though I don't want to feel as though the efforts were in vain if it doesn't work.

I am all for making anything work to get Bomberman in, but I need more people to be active and to back this up. The thing is... we have an opportunity. I am a bit skeptical on him being DLC, but we can still strike early.

I agree that Nintendo should buyout the license for Bomberman if Konami isn't going to do anything with it. I know that Nintendo has some ex-Hudson Soft employees that could help make an awesome Bomberman game.

Banana Waffle Deed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sapsiper
3DS FC
1263-6961-7801
For the first option, I would love to know someone with the technical know-how to create the website. If the website got some recognition, we can show Konami that people love and care about Bomberman.
The second option is a very good option in my opinion. We need to set up Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr accounts for the cause. I will even recommend making a hashtag on Twitter such as #Bomberman4Smash or #BombermanSmashDLC
If only the third one was possible...
The forth option seems to work nowadays. People are now getting publicity for their products thanks to memes. It's not surprise that it could work here.
The last option might work... though I don't want to feel as though the efforts were in vain if it doesn't work.

I am all for making anything work to get Bomberman in, but I need more people to be active and to back this up. The thing is... we have an opportunity. I am a bit skeptical on him being DLC, but we can still strike early.

I agree that Nintendo should buyout the license for Bomberman if Konami isn't going to do anything with it. I know that Nintendo has some ex-Hudson Soft employees that could help make an awesome Bomberman game.
Maybe I could search around for some staff and some people to help us technically. As for the social media accounts, we should probably spilt-up account-making and management duties, so should we just list all the sites we want to use and cut them in half?

D

Deleted member

Maybe I could search around for some staff and some people to help us technically. As for the social media accounts, we should probably spilt-up account-making and management duties, so should we just list all the sites we want to use and cut them in half?
Sounds like a good idea to me.
The only issue I see with the website could be the funding because of how expensive it might be.

I say that we should get started once we have enough people on board with this task.

Banana Waffle Deed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sapsiper
3DS FC
1263-6961-7801
Sounds like a good idea to me.
The only issue I see with the website could be the funding because of how expensive it might be.

I say that we should get started once we have enough people on board with this task.
Ok, then I'll look for some people to recruit but how much people is enough? 20-30 people?

D

Deleted member

Ok, then I'll look for some people to recruit but how much people is enough? 20-30 people?
20 to 30 people will be good enough.
If you find some recruits, you should also link this thread to them. I might update the OP soon to reflect on a DLC movement.

D

Deleted member

I think Bomberman has a shot at being playable since I think there are less restrictions for DLC, I don't think it's a big shot though.
I don't think that he has a tremendous shot either, but it's still a shot.
Honestly, I think he stands at a bit of a better chance than Snake. Sure, he's a veteran, but I think that coming from an M-rated series will do a number on him, especially when DLC also must follow ESRB rules.

Top Bottom