• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman Explodes In Smash 4! We Await for Results

Do you support Bomberman?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Who say's we'll get Snake? Sheik took the grenades already, I doubt they'd've done that with Snake still in.
He could return...
After all, some characters have similar moves.
I'm just really nervous at the thought of Snake returning. That is why I kept my expectations and hype low for the Direct; Sakurai could have potentially revealed Snake.

D

Deleted member

I'm 99% sure Snake isn't returning and would be more offended if he returns actually.
I'm 10% sure that Snake could return. Although I don't want him to return, I cannot deny the possibility. Even if Snake gets cut, people will demand to bring him back. This will be interesting pre-SSB6 if Bomberman proves to be one of the most requested characters worldwide.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
People will complain about anything, like Pichu being cut. Its inevitable but I will give Snake a nod towards something decent as far as a move set goes.

But alas, if we want a bomb master in this game, we have to have Bomberman.

iFlysmn

Smash Rookie

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I would genuinely be offended if Snake returned, knowing that Konami now has Bomberman under their label lol. If it is one 3rd party character that has been a real BROTHER to the Nintendo universe, it is Bomberman. Konami is already doing nothing with the series. It would be amazing to have Bomberman alongside Megaman, another icon currently receiving mediocre treatment from his parents. IMO Bomberman should have always been the first 3rd party to ever step foot into smash bros.

D

Deleted member

Who knows, perhaps he IS in the game, just not released to us.
If only... oh man, I would cry tears of happiness if that happened! But I doubt it...
I love the optimism, but I would be heavily shocked if Bomberman got added.

I would genuinely be offended if Snake returned, knowing that Konami now has Bomberman under their label lol. If it is one 3rd party character that has been a real BROTHER to the Nintendo universe, it is Bomberman. Konami is already doing nothing with the series. It would be amazing to have Bomberman alongside Megaman, another icon currently receiving mediocre treatment from his parents. IMO Bomberman should have always been the first 3rd party to ever step foot into smash bros.
Sonic, Mega Man, and Bomberman are the only third party characters that I can identify them as "Nintendo All-Stars." They have done a lot for Nintendo and they truly deserve to get in a game like this.
The Bomberman series is on a major hiatus after when Konami got the license. Unfortunately for the White Bomber, there hasn't been a lot of noise for a revival (or there is and I'm not seeing it).
In all honesty, I think that the first third party character that deserved to be revealed for Smash should have been Sonic. I'm honestly surprised that he almost didn't make it in Brawl.

Bomberman in Smash has been a childhood dream of mine! Though... I can't see him get added in this iteration. I would be extremely surprised (yet excited!) if Bomberman managed to pull a Sonic.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Only thing we can do is get ready to support him for a future release at this point. 3DS is too far along to delay and the Wii U won't be stupid enough to delay the game when they could use smash for holiday sales

D

Deleted member

Only thing we can do is get ready to support him for a future release at this point. 3DS is too far along to delay and the Wii U won't be stupid enough to delay the game when they could use smash for holiday sales
This is correct.
Part of the plan is to make Bomberman the next Mega Man.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Snake does not "deserve" to return at this point. See that Pac-Man trailer? That is how things are supposed to be. Notable Icons fighting alondside one another. Sakurai should not have ever made a promise to add Snake in anyways. Even if snake did return, I would also be offended at the fact that Bomberman is not in over him. There is no Konami owned property that deserves to grace this game like Bomberman does. Even if he is Hudson Born, Konami now owns him. Snake and Belmont fans need to accept that. Hell I already found it insulting that Snake got in over Belmont to begin with lol.

EDIT: IDC that I said basically the same thing a few posts up. That is how much I want me some Bomberman! lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Snake does not "deserve" to return at this point. See that Pac-Man trailer? That is how things are supposed to be. Notable Icons fighting alondside one another. Sakurai should not have ever made a promise to add Snake in anyways. Even if snake did return, I would also be offended at the fact that Bomberman is not in over him. There is no Konami owned property that deserves to grace this game like Bomberman does. Even if he is Hudson Born, Konami now owns him. Snake and Belmont fans need to accept that. Hell I already found it insulting that Snake got in over Belmont to begin with lol.

EDIT: IDC that I said basically the same thing a few posts up. That is how much I want me some Bomberman! lol
To be honest, I think that Snake might be done after that trailer. The way it was set up and this one pic suggests to me that we will see only Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as 3rd party characters:

Though, I still believe Snake has some fight in him left...
If he gets cut, things will definitely look brighter for Bomberman and Simon Belmont.

And I agree with you. Snake has a very nice moveset, though I'm peeved that he got in over other more deserving Konami characters. I wish Nintendo acted earlier to buy the Bomberman IP.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm about sure we are getting no other third party character. Not only did the Pacman seem to emphasize 'this is the final guy we were waiting for,' but Sakurai made a big deal at the Q&A to point out that these four big legends were finally all going to compete, and then he challenged three reps to fight.

It would be a bit anticlimactic to an outside eye, at this point. Unless there is another Nintendo Direct for Smash before the release, there is no real other time to release a new third party, anyway.

I have my eyes on Bomberman for SSB5, but if it isnt him, who else could it be anyway? He is about the only candidate if you do not get into rare and double dipping.
(Yes, there are others, I know... but I mean, I want all three to be mainstays in smash). I tend to not want characters cut, except for... ya know, Snake, Ness, Falco; the ones who need to be trimmed away.

D

Deleted member

It would be a bit anticlimactic to an outside eye, at this point. Unless there is another Nintendo Direct for Smash before the release, there is no real other time to release a new third party, anyway.
I bet there will be another Smash Direct in August that will explain everything that we don't know much about/know nothing about.

I would be incredibly surprised if Bomberman somehow made the cut. Though, I'm hoping to see his future burn brighter for Smash 5.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I bet there will be another Smash Direct in August that will explain everything that we don't know much about/know nothing about.

I would be incredibly surprised if Bomberman somehow made the cut. Though, I'm hoping to see his future burn brighter for Smash 5.
Nintendo seems to finally be aware that they would be successful if they did only SSB, so perhaps you are right.

mibthebladefighter

Smash Rookie
Though he is not in game and probably not even considered for it.I feel that he is still a relic to gaming.

I think he is a cool mascot with a niche flavor to him , he was popular but didn't get hyped to Mario , Sonic , Pacman and Megaman levels. I think being Bomberman fan now makes you fan of something that isn't in spotlight and not as vocal as Megaman fans.

He was created in 1983 and an older character than like Luigi and Megaman. Has made appearance on every Nintendo device and would have had 3ds game but Konami decision to kill Hudson off came quick and without any remorse.

Hudson's purchase was just for the IP's that Konami would never even bother to touch or acknowledge as their own. Though that isn't saying much as everything is always behind Metal Gear Solid in existence to them.

Konami wouldn't even talk about Bomberman being 30 years old , he is truly in the grave while other characters still get referenced and spirit still strives on.

People often call him a Konami rep but he has zero presence as a Konami character , if he got in at all then it would be that he was a nostalgic character of the past.

I think that he would be nice addition to smash series.Reckless character that can even take himself out , if he is not too careful like how it is in his games.

Example :

B : Bomb Drop - How he leaves bombs down in classic games and in all games really. (Staple Move)

B(hold for second) : Bomb Throw/Toss(Power Glove) - Tosses the bomb but you can also move during animation

Can also pick up the bombs with A as they were an item to retoss

B(full charge) : Pump Up - After holding it for while , you can toss huge bomb with bigger Explosion or the P Bomb , if you look at like Dream Mix TV World Fighters.

Side B : Rubber Bomb - Bounces along randomly and where it stops is anyone's game and can be unpredictable.

Dangourous Bomb : Can happen when two rubber bomb's manage to colide via kicking and causes unusual blast

Up B : Louies - The Kangaroo like animal that he had in older games that can be used to jump or take a hit , in his game they were disposable creatures that Bomberman used to keep himself from dying or utilized their abilities and jumping one could be useful one as recovery.

Bomberman doesn't really need them at all as he had several abilities like jump shoes , wings and jetpack to make himself get a distance and there is always more pets that he had then just those to choose from.

Down B : Remote Control (Bomb) - something that bomberman plants on the ground but its visible and he can kick it to make it slide around.It would be like Snake's Down B in a way but a huge mobile object that is not stuck in one location and could be used for maneuvers.

I could see someone kicking it off stage then activating the explosion making sure that someone can't make it back on the ledge or using it on people that just like to rush in.

Up Smash : Wind Bomb/Hurricane Bomb - Can drag opponent upwards from a vortex , if they are hit by it. Bomberman can just throw it upward and its lands in spot that he was standing in , which he can run away from.Its power and range depends on the charge.

Down Smash : Line Bomb/Mine Bomb - Could go for something like Snake with Mine Bomb or go with Line Bomb that places out multiple bombs and could show him trying to put them all out in front and behind him.

Side Smash : Bomb Kick - Can kick bombs that will collide into opponent with an impact and works with forming the Dangerous Bomb.

Dash or Tilt attack : Bomb Punch

(Not really getting into A moves as they could be regular attacks or more weapons and not really main highlight of moveset , probably needs punchs and kicks to have balance in the moveset.)

Final Smash : Countdown - blocks will land all on the stage as in Bomberman games , when the game doesn't have a winner when the time is running out.

Alt Colors : Black Bomberman , Red Bomberman , Blue Bomberman , Green Bomberman , Yellow Bomberman and Gold Bomberman

Out of Alt colors , Black Bomberman is most important color besides main one , leader of the other bombermans and person White Bomberman duos with several times but also was once bad guy in Bomberman Series.Gold Bomberman was just special color that was secret in several games , would be cool as unlockable.

Bomberman already legitimately fits the whole Red Blue and Green team thing , not that it matters anymore with outlines but you could still consider it cool that he doesn't need any stand in alt colors at all.

Stages : Bomberman has a lot stages to base design off but they could have something classic and just have his stage transition between stage appearances.

Music : Bomberman's music had that upbeat catchy sound to it but also had digital sound to it. Not what people normally use now in video games.

I think that it would be fun to play someone like him but he just has 0.00% chance.The game is already done by now. When someone has chance to beg Sakurai about a character , its like Ridley , Palutena , Mii , Mewtwo and the other mascots that we currently have in the game.

While things like that doesn't shape his decisions , he considers it while he ignores some others as his mind is already made up about them. It would be funny if he didn't even know who the character was at all but its not surprising in the least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ M mibthebladefighter , I agree with most of what you've said. It's a bit tragic that the IPs have been bought but aren't being used... it honestly, makes me question why they were bought to begin with.

Hopefully, Bomberman will be graced with a vocal fanbase in the next Smash Bros. and hopefully Sakurai will have caught wind of that.

As for your moveset, I like it! I'll add it to the OP!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I like Bomberman a lot, but I think we're good on 3rd parties for this particular game. Maybe SSB5 or SSB6

D

Deleted member

What if we got a Bomberman game exclusie to the 3DS with free bom-omb DLC.
We almost got a Bomberman game for the 3DS, but it got cancelled after when Hudson was shut down. Hopefully Konami won't continue to not do anything with the series.

I like Bomberman a lot, but I think we're good on 3rd parties for this particular game. Maybe SSB5 or SSB6
I feel the same way to be honest, mostly because that is the trio that I expect to be in this game really. Smash 5 though... it has to happen. Hopefully with enough noise, he'll make his explosive debut.

ChristianPonte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChristianPonte
New member reading through this topic, and I'm so disappointed that Bomberman almost certainly won't be in this game. Everyone's movesets suggestions are great, though I really love the idea of the Countdown Final Smash.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Bomberman deserves at least a trophy cameo in this game. More than Rayman. I like Rayman but Bomberman deserves a spot in this game.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Bomberman's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are allowed):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Fun fact: Bomberman 64 is the first videogame I bought. Before that I only played what my big brother got on his SNES.

More onto subject. I think we can get at least a Bomberman trophy, since Rayman is getting one too after all.

D

Deleted member

A trophy for Bomberman would make me pretty damn happy. I would love to see him get referenced like that in Smash since he would most definitely not make it as a fighter.
A trophy would be the first step of something far greater.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Bomberman's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are allowed):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Zone - Could, arguably, be this.

Ranger - Nope

Speedster - Could potentially have elements of a speedster is the "SPEED UP" power up is implemented into his moveset.

Trickster - Like speedster, would have elements of this in his moveset.

Bruisner - LolNo

Resistor - Nope

Puppeteer - HAHAHAHANO!

Juggler - Nope

He'd be a trapper type. A trapper with trickster and speedster elements. He could also be classified as a zoner.

Last edited:

ChristianPonte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChristianPonte

I agree with 8-peacock-8 in that he'd be a trapper, but to me that says Speedster and Trickster with a bit of Ranger. He could throw bombs, yes, but his strength is in running over to you, planting a bomb or two or five, and then running away before they detonate. You're not going to want to stay in the same area if you're up against Bomberman on an open stage, you're going to want to keep moving.

Fun fact: Bomberman 64 is the first videogame I bought. Before that I only played what my big brother got on his SNES.
In a similar boat. I went to a friend's birthday sleepover when I was in elementary school, and we stayed up almost all night just playing 4P Bomberman on his SNES. I then picked up Bomberman 64 for myself.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I agree with 8-peacock-8 in that he'd be a trapper, but to me that says Speedster and Trickster with a bit of Ranger. He could throw bombs, yes, but his strength is in running over to you, planting a bomb or two or five, and then running away before they detonate. You're not going to want to stay in the same area if you're up against Bomberman on an open stage, you're going to want to keep moving.

In a similar boat. I went to a friend's birthday sleepover when I was in elementary school, and we stayed up almost all night just playing 4P Bomberman on his SNES. I then picked up Bomberman 64 for myself.
Nice. This gives me a great understanding of Bomberman's moveset potential. Thank you!

P.S. And welcome to Smash Boards! :D

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Has anyone given consideration that Pommy could be used in Bomberman's moveset?

Could be interesting in the least, if used.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Has anyone given consideration that Pommy could be used in Bomberman's moveset?

Could be interesting in the least, if used.
Not sure where he'd fit in the moveset honestly. But if Pac-Man can call out his ghost enemies in four moves then i guess Smash attacks would be a good place to start.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am not sure that Bomberman is the next games Megaman.
I think Banjo Kazooie is that...
Perhaps all these old IPs will actually fall to Nintendo (Bomberman, Megaman, different Rare titles) since it is clear their companies cannot do anything successful with them.

That said, I'm still on the notion Rayman has a good shot at being in this game. The trophy reveal is incredibly sketchy to me.
Such makes me skeptical.

D

Deleted member

I am not sure that Bomberman is the next games Megaman.
I think Banjo Kazooie is that...
Umm...
I doubt this, especially when Banjo is completely owned by Microsoft. So, if Nintendo somehow get their IP or if Rare becomes a 3rd party developer, I don't think that this will be the case.

Bomberman could be the next Mega Man if there is a lot of fan interest.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Everyone doubts it
and yet everyone wants it

Makes it perfect.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Everyone doubts it because it's literally impossible for it to happen.
Eh, a lot can happen between an installment, and also the use of exaggeration here either is getting the best of you, or you have no idea what literally and impossible mean, because it is simply highly unlikely, not 'literally impossible.'

Last edited:

ChristianPonte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChristianPonte
"Literally impossible" is still closer to the reality than a vague "highly unlikely," given that Rare and its IPs are 100% wholly owned by Microsoft. Granted, it's been nearly seven years since the previous Smash Bros. title, it might be seven more until the next one. One might have said the same thing about Sonic the Hedgehog in 1994 or 1995, but look what happened. Had Melee gone into development a year or two later than it did, Sonic may have made his Smash debut sooner. But come on, Microsoft isn't going the way of Sega any time soon.

Bomberman, however, is a character owned by a third party that has a decent relationship with Nintendo, and the character itself has a long and mutually beneficial history with Nintendo. Sure, his popularity has waned, but you could say the same of other Smash characters before their first inclusion into the series. Nintendo would get an iconic character from throughout gaming history, and Konami would actually make some money and boost the popularity of an IP that they purchased but aren't even using right now. Nintendo wins. Konami wins. Fans win. And the former people from Hudson get smiles on their faces.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Eh, a lot can happen between an installment, and also the use of exaggeration here either is getting the best of you, or you have no idea what literally and impossible mean, because it is simply highly unlikely, not 'literally impossible.'
You know that Microsoft owns every IP Rare made/owned right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom