• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's rainbow cape of doom.

D

Deleted member

Being a Mario main, I have experienced some oddities with his cape.
It changes color to match the opponents textures randomly, and I have NO CLUE HOW THIS HAPPENENS.
It usually goes like this:

1.Match starts, cape starts as either yellow or brown.
2. Cape changes texture to match opponent, IE: Yellow and red when battling Pikachu, Black when battling G@W, etc...
These textures are very detailed, and seem to perfectly match the opponents every time.
In the SSE, the same thing happens, exept to items and enemies.
It's not a bad thing and it doesn't have any negative effects, it just... bothers meh...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
This should not be a bug, but an awesome intended feature instead! I'd love cape textures

PMDT fix it and give it to us plz

D

Deleted member

This should not be a bug, but an awesome intended feature instead! I'd love cape textures

PMDT fix it and give it to us plz
So this happens to others too and not just me? I guess... as long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay It's fine...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It has never happened to me. I'm just saying that this sounds awesome and cape textures would be cool if we could make it intended

D

Deleted member

It has never happened to me. I'm just saying that this sounds awesome and cape textures would be cool if we could make it intended
I'm so used to his cape being yellow it doesn't feel right when it occasionally blends in with the background and appears invisible. It's confuzzling. Oh, and the only thing different about my PM 3.5 Wifi build is the soundtrack. I don't have any other changes.
I guess it was a gift from the Smash gods.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Save ur current build somewhere, maybe reupload it for others to try and see for themselves?

D

Deleted member

Save ur current build somewhere, maybe reupload it for others to try and see for themselves?
Sure thing, I could do that. I'm kinda busy today, so I'll see what I can do tomorrow. I'll also double check to see if I added any texture packs without remembering.

ds22

Smash Lord
From the sound of it, you guys seem to be using texture hacks for both Yoshi and Mario.
Try using the costume files from a 3.5 build, and see if the problems persists.

D

Deleted member

From the sound of it, you guys seem to be using texture hacks for both Yoshi and Mario.
Try using the costume files from a 3.5 build, and see if the problems persists.
I'm pretty sure I don't have texture hacks on my build. I'll check anyways.
And it's not really a "Problem" since it doesn't crash or cause slowdown.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I've had Mario's cape too.At first I thought it was just his cape color in a doc costume,but I recently had it happen in default,plus of course this thread shows I'm not the only one.

D

Deleted member

I've had Mario's cape too.At first I thought it was just his cape color in a doc costume,but I recently had it happen in default,plus of course this thread shows I'm not the only one.
Do you have any alt costumes? I haven't checked yet and I'm curious.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Well that's a bit of long answer:No,I think I saw it before I put alt costumes in (with doc).Last night I messed the SD card up with them and so removed them,but a Mario I saw last night
( I think ) had the cape thing.So I'm almost 100% percent sure I saw it without them.

D

Deleted member

Well that's a bit of long answer:No,I think I saw it before I put alt costumes in (with doc).Last night I messed the SD card up with them and so removed them,but a Mario I saw last night
( I think ) had the cape thing.So I'm almost 100% percent sure I saw it without them.
I'm about to test a clean build and see what results it yeilds.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
On a side note,I wasn't aware the texture changed.Whenever I saw it,it was brown and looked like it was covered in the brown goop from Mario Sunshine.I never did any tests on it though.

ds22

Smash Lord
It's essential that the 3.5 costume files for Yoshi and Mario are on the SD card, as they contain the texture for the egg and cape respectively.
The messed up colours is just a result of the costume files either being missing, or not properly loaded.

D

Deleted member

It's essential that the 3.5 costume files for Yoshi and Mario are on the SD card, as they contain the texture for the egg and cape respectively.
The messed up colours is just a result of the costume files either being missing, or not properly loaded.
Could I go into the files from the clean build and just add the texture's I want without touching the cape?

D

Deleted member

The cape starts as either brown or yellow, meaning that it's possible that it does have the cape textures since the yellow comes out occasionally. (Like it's supposed to)

ds22

Smash Lord
Could I go into the files from the clean build and just add the texture's I want without touching the cape?
You certainly can.
All you have to do is replace the first TextureData[0] brres container with the one taken from the source file, and save the costume as both .pcs (with LZ77 compression) and .pac (with no compression).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You certainly can.
All you have to do is replace the first TextureData[0] brres container with the one taken from the source file, and save the costume as both .pcs (with LZ77 compression) and .pac (with no compression).
Thank you, I needed that. I have one more question, though.
From my 2 1/2 year experience with brawl hacking, I know that the CSS portraits are in the Common5.pac while the results screen ones are located elsewhere. When I checked, the common5.pac was missing the char_bust_tex_iz77 section containing them. Did you guys move it somewhere else? I want to be able to change the CSS portraits again.

D

Deleted member

they're still in common5.

are you using an old version of brawlbox?
I'm pretty sure I'm using the newest version. Mine says V.0.63b Modset 4.1. I've been using this version to change CSP's for a while now and it always worked.

Narpas_sword

cant find my source, but ive heard the compression has changed for the LZ77 stuff (to something slightly better)
and something about the old brawlbox cant open them.

pretty sure there's version 0.71 or something

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Does anyone do CSS modding here? Or point me to a support thread for that?

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Here's some guys who at least replace pics:
http://smashboards.com/threads/sjs-csps-for-project-m-3-5.344899/
http://smashboards.com/threads/luddojs-project-m-3-5-csp-workshop-high-quality-csps-for-you.377883/

Then there's PyotrLuzhin,who's definitley done some character slot adding.
I'm sorry I should've been more specific. I'm hacking regular brawl not pm. I want my CSS to look like this
I can't seem to find any help/support threads for this kind of stuff

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry I should've been more specific. I'm hacking regular brawl not pm. I want my CSS to look like this
I can't seem to find any help/support threads for this kind of stuff
I have no clue how to CSS hack, all I know is that it requires some knowledge on hexing.
And I believe it's done by adding codes to the .gct, not editing a file in the game.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I have no clue how to CSS hack, all I know is that it requires some knowledge on hexing.
And I believe it's done by adding codes to the .gct, not editing a file in the game.
That's right I remember now. I just have to find the codes for my .gct file that removes names and a code for having two CSPs on either side. I probably won't have any luck finding it..

Top Bottom