• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Circuit: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm continuing my stage research threads for the Wii U and boy does it have a lot more going on than the 3DS. If you want to see a specific stage covered then let me know, either via reply to this thread or PM or whatever. Otherwise I'll basically meander through the list according to what I perceive to be the current focus of discussion. After all, a good discussion needs data and data is beautiful as long as it's formatted nicely. To that end, if you think something is wrong or missing, again let me know and I can look into it.

Today's stage is Mario Circuit, the new one from Mario Kart 8. As a racetrack it's very simple to race on, but it has the unique quirk of being a Mobius loop courtesy of the game's antigravity mechanic. In Smash, that translates to Shy Guys racing on the walls and ceiling more often than the floor.

To business, then.

Layout
Mario Circuit is a typical "racetrack" stage in the style of Mute City, Port Town Aero Dive, and Rainbow Road. A main platform setup moves around the track and stops at different locations on the way before moving on again. Like Rainbow Road in particular, the main platform has grabbable ledges, and players can jump through the platform from below as per the standard for this type of stage. Unique to this particular stage category, the main platform has an additional secondary platform above it.

Players 1 and 2 start on the sides of the main platform while Players 3 and 4 start closer to the middle. No players start on the secondary platform. The Omega form floats over a void.

In addition to the normal transformations, this stage features Shy Guys and the track itself as hazards.

Transformations
Like Rainbow Road, Mario Circuit has a total of 8 different locations where the platform can stop and let players off. The platform descends until offscreen and returns 16 seconds later, signalled in advance by a large flashing arrow sign and a 3 count beep.

It's possible for the stage to glitch and do...something, that results in an instant kill. See this post for a video. IDK what's going on there.

Details on Shy Guy appearances, where applicable, will be noted in their own section.

Name|Picture|Notes
Main Platform|
|Grabbable ledges, secondary platform is completely standard. Can jump through primary platform from below.
Tower|
|Walled sides. Small slope on the yellow edges, note Bowser's foot. Shy Guys do not appear here.
Bridge 1|
|Wall on right side. Main platform is solid, left ledge is grabbable. Secondary platform is completely standard.
Offroad|
|Tire stacks on road are solid, fences can be jumped through from below. All have grabbable ledges. Walkoff on both sides.
Antigravity|
|Platform is completely solid with grabbable ledges. Ceiling above. Possible to somehow glitch through the ceiling as stage leaves and take upward knockback, see this post .
Bridge 2|
|All surfaces have grabbable ledges and can be jumped through from below. Wall on left side, walkoff on right.
Spectator Bluff|
|Walled sides. Secondary platform is completely standard. Shy Guys do not appear here.
Flower Bed|
|Entirety of fence and flower bed can be jumped through from below. Left ledge is grabbable, walkoff on right.
Start Line|
|Lower edge of Mario Kart sign forms a standard platform. Walkoff on both sides.
Warning Sign - Departure|
|The sign that appears to warn players that the stage is about to move on. Accompanied by a 3-count beep in time with the arrows.
Shy Guys
At 6 of the 8 possible stops, a total of 8 Shy Guys may also make an appearance as they race along the track. They are signalled 3 seconds in advance by a flashing yellow sign and an accompanying beeping noise. In addition, the sign itself shows the direction the Shy Guys will drive in. Due to the antigravity features in Mario Kart 8, the Shy Guys are not restricted to the floor and in fact appear more often on the walls or ceiling.

Whether or not the Shy Guys appear seems to be a simple chance event and has nothing to do with the time it normally takes to complete a lap.

Shy Guys do 10% damage on impact. Although their newfound ability to drive on the walls and ceiling make the exact location a major factor when determining kill %, Mario dies off the top at 135% when hit at the Start Line.

For details on the actual locations, see the above section.

Name|Picture|Notes
Bridge 1|
|Shy Guys drive on right wall and approach from the background.
Offroad|
|Shy Guys drive sideways from the right. Standing on the tires is not safe as Shy Guys will drive both above and below them.
Antigravity|
|Shy Guys drive on ceiling and approach from the background. Most stick to the driving surface but a few take the ramp and can clip tall characters standing below.
Bridge 2|
|Shy Guys drive on left wall and approach from background.
Flower Bed|
|Shy Guys drive sideways from the left. There is sufficient room for players to stand without risk of getting hit.
Start Line|
|Shy Guys drive on floor and approach from the background. Edges of road are safe, although Bowser gets barely clipped in his foot as pictured.
Track
As the main platform moves around, the track itself forms a hazard. Players who touch the track while the stage is in motion take 12% damage. Like the Shy Guys, kill % varies depending on the exact position, but the knockback starts being lethal around 125%.

Because the platform always follows the same path around the track, deviating only to make a stop at one of the 8 locations listed above, it is possible to anticipate the track as it approaches.

Summary
  • Main platform has grabbable ledges and can be jumped through from below.
  • Secondary platform above main platform.
  • Platform setup moves around track, stops at any of 8 locations for 16 seconds.
  • Departure signalled 3 seconds in advance by sign and beeping.
  • Shy Guys sometimes race through as players fight, deal 10% damage and kill Mario at 135% from ground level.
  • Shy Guys signalled 3 seconds in advance by sign and beeping.
  • Track does 12% damage while stage is in motion, kill % varies but starts being dangerous to Mario at 125%.

Last edited:

Battitude

Smash Rookie
Yo, not sure if this is worth mentioning, but during the transition to the antigravity segment you can glitch into the ceiling and get insta-killed off the top.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Yo, not sure if this is worth mentioning, but during the transition to the antigravity segment you can glitch into the ceiling and get insta-killed off the top.
Definitely worth mentioning but the steps necessary to reproduce the glitch would help, if there are any involved.

Battitude

Smash Rookie

Boink, seems to involve hitting the ceiling at the exact moment it starts moving

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
The celing glitch is pretty easy to do on accident. Did that earlier today.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Yeah I was in training mode today and I got that last glitch a bunch.

Some bug with transporting it seems. Like the platform disappears, you die, and then respawn at the next transformation without the main platform. It happened to me at Bridge 2. When it was time to transition, the main platform would glitch away, I would die, then respawn at Antigravity. The platform for that transition would still be lowered, and eventually the main red platform would travel over and the stage transition would proceed as normal. This happened whenever the stage made its way to Bridge 2.

Also sometimes, randomly it seems, the stage would have invisible platforms to the left and right of the lower part of the main platform.

Buggy stage.

Last edited:

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
as you can see marth was standing on nothing at the end there

dunno what would have happened if there were still stocks

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
as you can see marth was standing on nothing at the end there

dunno what would have happened if there were still stocks

Yeah that's that invisible platform thing I was talking about.

He should have been able to stand there until after the next transition. Or at least that's what happened with me

Top Bottom