• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Sep 12, 2015] Super Honor Strength SMASH! (Huntington NY)

Marp

Smash Rookie
This is gonna be my first tourney. Do i have to pick my main before a match or can i just pick it on the fly? still not sure how the picking of the first round goes without one person having the advantage in picking second.
You can pick whatever you want. If this is your first, I'm sure everyone (including me) would be happy to help you learn the rules.

Bobby191

Smash Rookie
You can pick whatever you want. If this is your first, I'm sure everyone (including me) would be happy to help you learn the rules.
thanks another thing i wasnt sure about was how counter pick courses worked do both players have to agree on the counter pick?

patoons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Patoons
do kids get free entry? my 5 year old was watching apex with me and said she wants to go to the "smash brothers party"

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
This is gonna be my first tourney. Do i have to pick my main before a match or can i just pick it on the fly? still not sure how the picking of the first round goes without one person having the advantage in picking second.
Technically, you do blind picks. Most people just pick their main first game, unless they know what character the other person uses before hand. You COULD be a scumbag and wait for the other person to pick first, but that's generally just really poor sportsmanship. So, you generally just pick whoever you want right away first game (preferably your main.)

EDIT: whoops, didn't see that people already answered this, sorry :p

thanks another thing i wasnt sure about was how counter pick courses worked do both players have to agree on the counter pick?
Well, I'm only speaking for Project M and Melee, but after the first game, you go straight to stage select. Winner of the first match bans 1 stage in Melee, or 2 stages if you're playing Project M. Loser then picks the stage. Finally, you go back to the character select before starting, and the winner picks his character (usually the winner will just stay the same here) and then the loser picks their character. Then you just start with those characters on whatever stage you picked.

There's also something called Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR) that states that if you won on that stage in the set, you can't counter pick to it. Hoped this helped

Last edited:

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
Hey rubba can you do the smashboards points thingy i still have to claim like 3 weeks worth and guess what...l i got first baby. also if i bring just a copy of smash 4 can i get a dollar off venue or something. lastly, can you tell me how to get an HSS shirt. that'd bre real chill. Thanks buddy. @ Rubba Prime Rubba Prime

Rubba Prime

Smash Apprentice
If you bring just the disc you wont get a discount because we cant use just the disc -_- Kinda need a wii U too

HSS shirts are reserved for staff

Bracket is being uploaded as we speak

Bobby191

Smash Rookie
I might be bringing some friends none of them are competitive really i have been trying to teach them, painfully while they want to learn but at the same time just want to play, do they have to rsvp or is it okay if they just come.

Rubba Prime

Smash Apprentice
@ patoons patoons Nope. Everyone in the venue must pay venue and must pay entry if they want to compete. Our venue is small and can only accommodate paying participants. If we switch to a larger venue I'd be happy to do something like that in the future.

@ B Bobby191 RSVP-ing helps us a lot (both here and on Facebook) as it shows players that we have consistent participants who are competing. It's not required but helps us more than you may think.

Bobby191

Smash Rookie
@ patoons patoons Nope. Everyone in the venue must pay venue and must pay entry if they want to compete. Our venue is small and can only accommodate paying participants. If we switch to a larger venue I'd be happy to do something like that in the future.

@ B Bobby191 RSVP-ing helps us a lot (both here and on Facebook) as it shows players that we have consistent participants who are competing. It's not required but helps us more than you may think.
ok idk they just aren't sure about how well they will compete they will deff get demolished one is definitely coming as of now as of the other three their egos might get the best of them

Rubba Prime

Smash Apprentice
Part of smash is going in knowing you're going to lose. It's about meeting people that also want to see you get better. Many people can attest to HSS helping them get better via awesome people in our community (@ 1+1=3 1+1=3 )

1+1=3

Smash Cadet
Definitely what Rúbba said. You can't be afraid to lose if you want to get better. There was a time when I was the least skilled player at this local of mine and now here I am consistently getting top three (which would not be possible without the people who bopped me relentlessly, much like Rúbba). But I still try and go to larger tournaments where I absolutely don't stand a chance at even top 20. It's worth sooo much to get wrecked sometimes. I highly recommend entering just to see what you can do under pressure. We're also primarily a learning community, so feel free to ask someone who beats you for advice or stick around after your respective event for some casual games and a better learning environment. :)
P.S. Sorry for long paragraph.

tGrass

Smash Rookie
so on the event page it says $10, brandon is that for venue or each event?

skaterdude21

Smash Cadet
NNID
skaterdude21
Definitely what Rúbba said. You can't be afraid to lose if you want to get better. There was a time when I was the least skilled player at this local of mine and now here I am consistently getting top three (which would not be possible without the people who bopped me relentlessly, much like Rúbba). But I still try and go to larger tournaments where I absolutely don't stand a chance at even top 20. It's worth sooo much to get wrecked sometimes. I highly recommend entering just to see what you can do under pressure. We're also primarily a learning community, so feel free to ask someone who beats you for advice or stick around after your respective event for some casual games and a better learning environment. :)
P.S. Sorry for long paragraph.
Bruh my first tournament i went to Play N trade i fought againts Rubba, i lost horribly but in the end it was fun and i got a few pointers on how to beat him next time,

1+1=3

Smash Cadet
Oh you kids. I'm still undefeated in my appearances here.
Come on down again and we'll see about that! (I'm really trying to play you again, i think I've gotten better again and I don't think I'm completely free anymore.)

Bobby191

Smash Rookie
what time do events start this weekend i see that it got changed to something else

Bobby191

Smash Rookie
and does that mean there will be more pm or same amount of pm but without the other events. i only plan on playing pm anyway

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
Hopefully I'll be able to come this week. As things are looking, I can

Boiko

:drshrug:
All appear to have been locked on my end.
Did you lock each individual sub bracket in each thread? I'm not trying to like...doubt your intelligence, lmao. Just trying to figure out why these haven't posted and still show as open.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
I know there have been attendance issues, but I'm very disappointed to see S4 get snubbed again. This seems to be the only consistent meetup for S4 on LI.

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
I shall be attending PM singles with the intention of representing the future: The ruler of 20KK

Koopa King

Top Bottom