• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 17, 2014] KINGS OF THE NORTH 2 (Milwaukee, WI)

the wizard howl

Smash Apprentice

Kings of the North 2

Melee/PM in a poolhall/grill/bar. Saturday May 17th, 2014
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/619953078097403/

Please read everything below just in case.

About
The Pyne Haus crew is proud to present Kings of the North 2, a followup tournament to KotN at Romine's High Pockets. Please support us by coming out for some games and spreading the word to the rest of the community so that we can establish KotN as a regular tournament series..

Venue

Romine's High Pockets
6125 S 27th St, Milwaukee, WI 53221

Events

Melee 1v1 ($10 entry)
Melee 2v2 ($5 entry per player)
Project M 1v1 ($10 entry)

if time allows:
CSP ($2 entry)

Venue Fee

Venue Fee of $5 per person— no exceptions.
$5 will be given back to anyone who brings a full setup (CRT + GC or Wii + PM or melee) available after 10:00.

Payouts

(30 entrants or less)
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

(31-49 entrants)
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%

(50+ entrants)
1st: 45%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%
5th: 2.5%
5th: 2.5%

Schedule

11:00 Doors open
the rest is TBA

Rules
  1. 18+ with ID. Don't forget your ID. (Anyone under the age of 18 may participate but Romine's has asked that they be accompanied by an adult.)
  2. ABSOLUTELY NO UNDERAGE DRINKING. If you are under the age of 21 or are caught serving alcohol to those under 21 you will be ejected from the premises, no refunds.
  3. DRINK RESPONSIBLY. Belligerent behavior will get you ejected. DO NOT DRIVE AFTER DRINKING. Have a designated driver before you start drinking.
  4. Bring Your Own Controller. There will not be any for you to borrow.
  5. You are responsible for yourself and your own things. Theft will be watched for but I’m required to let you know that I will not be held responsible for things going missing. Be smart.
  6. Be mindful of your matches. TOs can and will award a loss to anyone more than 5 minutes late to a tournament match.
  7. TOs reserve the right to warn, DQ or eject anyone they find acting disrespectful, aggressive or behaving in some unsavory manner.
  8. Know the rules to whatever events you enter.
Melee Ruleset
- Items off.
- 4 stocks, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on, Sharing stock is allowed.
- Pause off please. Pausing may result in the loss of your stock at the opponent’s discretion.
- Ties are broken by %, then by number of stocks.
- All sets are best of 3 with the exception of semis and finals, which are best of 5.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned.
- Freeze glitch, Soul Stunner and like glitches are banned.
- The Good DSR: A player cannot counterpick ANY stage he/she has won on previously in the set without the agreement of the opponent.
- Gentleman’s Clause: Players may agree to play on any banned stage if agreed upon. Where there is disagreement, house rules apply.
- Wobbling is NOT legal.

Stages

Singles Starters:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story

Singles Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64

Doubles Starters:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Pokemon Stadium

Doubles Counterpicks:
Kongo Jungle 64

Set Format
1. Both players select characters. Players may elect to double-blind.
2. Stage Striking: Players strike from the starters list in a 1-2-2-1 fashion.
3. Match 1 is played out.
4. The winner of the preceding match bans one stage.
5. The loser of the preceding match selects their counterpick stage for the next match.
6. The winner picks their character.
7. The loser picks their character.
8. Steps 4-8 are repeated until the conclusion of the set.

PM Ruleset (Apex Ruleset)
* 4 stock, 8 minutes.
* Sets are best of 3. Semis and Finals are best of 5.
* Items set to “off” and “none.”
* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
* The Good Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick ANY stage he won on in a set.
* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.
* For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.
* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.
* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.
* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.
* Buffer set to off.
* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
* Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.
* If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.
* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.
* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)
* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.
* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.
* Giga Bowser is banned.

Stagelist:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 3 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not counterpick a stage on which they won). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (singles only)
SSE: Jungle (doubles only)

Counterpicks:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (singles only)
SSE: Jungle (doubles only)
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Wario Ware
Green Hill Zone
Skyloft
Skyworld

CSP (if applicable) (IMDB 10 rueset)
Cactuar (by Cactuar)
- Best of 7
- Random stage from everything except Icicle Mountain and Hyrule Temple

Stamina (by Nintendo)
- Stamina Mode

Pancake (by Zjiin)
- Random characters
- Starting with the winner from the last game, each player may decide to "flip" either character, meaning re-random them.
- For the first match, decide randomly who flips first (via rock-paper-scissors).

Rules Clarifications
- If Zelda is randomed, re-random again to determine if you got Zelda or Sheik. The top 2 rows = Zelda, the bottom row = Sheik. This makes it very rare to have sheik, since she destroys low tier characters.
- Select pichu before randoming. This is done to prevent disputes getting the same character twice in a row. If you "accidentally" hit B to repick Pichu, you are stuck with him.
- If you can't tell who won the match, replay the game.
- Wobbling is LEGAL.

Last edited:

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Could PS1 be banned for PM ruleset? I really hate having to waste two bans on PS2 and PS1 if I don't want to have that stage layout. A lot of pm tourneys are starting to ban PS1 as well. Replace it with drac's castle or something if needed.

Also, will there be a stream this time?

Last edited:

the wizard howl

Smash Apprentice
probably gonna replace ps1 with distant planet. Gonna test it this weekend.
80% sure it'll be streamed. Depends on two things that should get fixed in time.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
I believe EXP has been banning PS1 and and Skyloft, and including distant planet as a neutral.

Edit: Wait... scratch Distant Planet as a neutral. I'm watching the stream of the last WDW and I can't tell how they're using it. It's legal though, in some form.

Last edited:

yohobojz

Smash Cadet
wow Wobbling banned? why? Just curious, I am not trying to protest it or anything haha

yohobojz

Smash Cadet
Taking all guitar Money Matches at this event
or we can just jam if you want
hit me up

Last edited:

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I'll def be there. I really hope CSP stays on the schedule, since we should have entrants this time with it being on a Saturday. I should be able to record vids again too, unless the Milwaukee streamers want to do that (I don't really).

the wizard howl

Smash Apprentice
CSP will be played.
Mundungu you don't have to record anything at all if you don't want to. I'm just gonna put the streamers in charge of that.

Top Bottom