• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Mar 21, 2015] Cincinnati Smash Classic! @Arcade Legacy (Cincinnati, OH)

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Alright, ladies and gentlemen, we've been talking about getting a regular regional series around Cincinnati for a while. We've got a super awesome and friendly local scene, full of motivated players who want to compete. Following Cincinnati Smash Forever, we've opted to split this into two events, each running bimonthly. This particular event will include both Melee and Project M, singles and doubles, hosted at the very awesome Arcade Legacy inside the Cincinnati Mall!

Fees and Preregistration
For logistical reasons, and so we can get people more comfortable with the idea because it's starting to become an inevitability (damn smash community keeps growing outta control), entry to this event will be by pre-registration only. You can sign up here. Money will be collected at the door.

Registration will close on Thursday, March 19th, so be sure to sign up by then!

Fees will include:
  • $10 Venue Fee. A $5 discount will be provided to each person who brings a full setup on the day of the event. This venue fee also includes unlimited play on all of the arcade cabinets in the arcade itself, so you can have yourself a good old time between waves of pools.
  • $10 per event for singles.
  • $10 per player, per team, for doubles.

Pools and Waves
In order to make it easier for players to know where they're supposed to be at any given time, while also ensuring that we use as many setups as possible, all events will be divided into two waves, which will play at specific times and eliminate down to small final brackets. After registration closes, we will compose the waves and post schedules for all players, letting you know where you need to be and exactly what time. Schedules will be rigidly enforced. If your wave starts, and you're not present for it, you will be disqualified. With this many events in one day, we don't have any time for nonsense. :O

Doubles pools will consist of two bracket pools for each game. The top 2 teams from each will emerge for a 4-team final bracket, with the 2nd-place team from each side beginning in losers'. You are encouraged, but not required, to team with the same person in both doubles events, should you choose to enter both. This will help us reduce collision drastically, so please consider it.

Singles pools will be round-robin if possible, but may be changed to bracket pools depending on the turnout. They will eliminate down to 16 or 32 players.

Tentative Schedule
  • 10:30 AM-- Venue opens. Check-in and setup.
  • 12PM-- Wave 1 Doubles Begins.
  • 1PM-- Wave 2 Doubles Begins.
  • 2PM-- Wave 1 Singles Begins.
  • 4PM-- Wave 2 Singles Begins.
  • 6PM-- Doubles Top 4 (both games)
  • ~7PM-- Singles Top 32 (both games)
Payouts
<32 Entrants:
  • 1st-- 50%
  • 2nd-- 30%
  • 3rd-- 20%
>=32:
  • 1st-- 50%
  • 2nd -- 25%
  • 3rd -- 15%
  • 4th -- 10%
>=48:
  • 1st-- 50%
  • 2nd-- 25%
  • 3rd-- 13%
  • 4th-- 6%
  • 5th-- 3%
  • 5th-- 3%
>=64:
  • 1st-- 45%
  • 2nd-- 25%
  • 3rd-- 15%
  • 4th-- 6%
  • 5th-- 3%
  • 5th-- 3%
  • 7th-- 2%
  • 7th-- 2%
Melee Rules
  • 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
  • Items OFF.
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • Master Hand is banned.
  • Wobbling is legal.
  • Modified DSR: You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • In all best of 5 sets there will be no stage bans
  • All finals sets are best out of 5

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “121″ fashion:
  1. First player strikes one stage.
  2. Second player strikes two stages.
  3. First player strikes one stage.

Stagelist: 1 Ban
Singles -
Starters: Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, Dream Land, Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick: Pokemon Stadium

Doubles -
Starters: Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, Dream Land, Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium
Counterpick: DonkeyKong 64

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Project M Rules
  • All setups must use Project M v3.5, with no texture mods. Music mods are ok.
  • 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
  • Items OFF
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • Modified DSR: You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • Giga Bowser is banned for tournament play
  • Simultaneous suicides from moves like Ganondorf's Side-B or Kirby's Neutral B will results in the user winning
  • In all best of 5 sets there is one stage ban
  • Winners Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals sets are best out of 5

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in “121″ fashion:
  1. First player strikes one stage.
  2. Second player strikes two stages.
  3. First player strikes one stage

Stagelist: 2 Bans
Starters:
Battlefield, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 2, Dreamland, Fountain of Dreams
Counterpicks:
Final Destination, Green Hill Zone, Yoshi's Story (Melee), Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Wario Ware

After each match:
  1. Winner announces two (2) stage bans
  2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
  3. Winner chooses their character
  4. Loser chooses their character

Last edited:

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
If I can't go I'll be very disappointed. Here's hoping for a more successful run. Will there be bracket pools?

Maybe I'll enter Melee just for giggles too. I figure I need to learn how to play it eventually.

tjdk2

Smash Cadet
Yo can you guys bump me to wave 2 of pools probly can't make it to wave 1 I signed up as TJDK

theleeryone

Smash Rookie
Yo, I'm planning on bringing a setup. I presume that'll mean I need to stay for the whole event? Just wanna make sure my ride'll work out.

Zad

Smash Apprentice
Yo, I'm planning on bringing a setup. I presume that'll mean I need to stay for the whole event? Just wanna make sure my ride'll work out.
I'm with this guy. Do I need to stay for the whole event if I bring a setup or can I leave when I need to go and grab my setup and take off? I'd like to bring a setup for friendlies if that's okay.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
You don't have to stay for the whole event.

I can't have dedicated friendly setups, though. At least not until later in the tournament or between waves. It's not just the number of setups, it's also table space and outlets that are concerns.

Zad

Smash Apprentice
You don't have to stay for the whole event.

I can't have dedicated friendly setups, though. At least not until later in the tournament or between waves. It's not just the number of setups, it's also table space and outlets that are concerns.
Okay cool.

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
Just to make sure, I won't be shunned if I go without any prior tournament experience and very little Melee/PM experience, will I?

Zad

Smash Apprentice
Just to make sure, I won't be shunned if I go without any prior tournament experience and very little Melee/PM experience, will I?
Nah. You'll have fun and learn a lot from other players and meet new friends.

Zad

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure? I don't want anyone to feel like they wasted their time by playing me.
You'll be fine. You'll learn a lot from attending an event like this. You don't necessarily have to enter brackets you could always just pay the venue fee to get in and play friendlies but I would recommend entering at least one bracket because playing against people you've never played is a great way to improve.

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
You'll be fine. You'll learn a lot from attending an event like this. You don't necessarily have to enter brackets you could always just pay the venue fee to get in and play friendlies but I would recommend entering at least one bracket because playing against people you've never played is a great way to improve.
From what I understand there won't be too many friendly set-ups. Plus, everyone already knows each other so I feel awkward walking up and asking if they want to play someone who's really bad.

Zad

Smash Apprentice
From what I understand there won't be too many friendly set-ups. Plus, everyone already knows each other so I feel awkward walking up and asking if they want to play someone who's really bad.
I'm going mostly just to meet new people and have fun. I only know a few people in the Melee scene and I'd like to know more so I'm making my way out to bigger events even though I'm bad at Smash. Plus there's a whole arcade to enjoy. This event is going to be fun I wouldn't miss it.

redxparasite

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna try to stay later for this one. If it goes past midnight though, I'm out. Gotta put in at least 8 hours in the sleep lab. (Plus I don't want to drive home if I'm too tired, and I'm NOT a night owl). Should be fun though, looking forward to it. I'm especially looking forward to getting in some DDR. I love me some DDR.

Last edited:

theleeryone

Smash Rookie
Hey, this'll only be my second tourney. My first was a great experience. If you're worried about people thinking they wasted time playing you, you can just play some friendlies with me! Not like I don't need them.

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
Most of us know each other because we met by walking up and asking to play smash lol. Everyone is really friendly. If you come find me a the tourney and I'd be more than happy to play and give you some Ivysaur tips.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
yoo ill be there around 1. hope that's cool, docx

Gotta start somewhere! The cool thing is, we're all there for the same thing. You don't have to just step in and start approaching ppl. Cause I'm not like that. Feel the place out and watch some matches. If a setup is open for friendlies, def try to get next on one. Also, if you're in tourney, you're gonna at least be forced to chat with your opponents. Which can be a great ice breaker.
Hope you go, and have fun =]

And I just read your prev post. No one will feel like they wasted their time playing you. If they do, they don't belong in this community, you do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom