• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 1, 2014] Don't Get 4-Stocked! Project M Tournament (Manteca, CA)

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio

If you're interesting in commentating please contact choknater or myself (Murio), ASAP.

If you are able to bring a screen capture device to the tournament, please contact Choknater or myself (Murio).

Here's a link to our tournament's Face Book page: https://www.facebook.com/events/478537528919461/

APEX 2014 Rule Set:

* 4 stock, 8 minutes.

* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.

* Items set to “off” and “none.”

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.

* Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.

* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.

* For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.

* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.

* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Buffer set to off.

* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.

* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)

* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.

* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

* Giga Bowser is banned.

* A custom build will be provided and present in all tournament set ups. ( custom CSS, SSS, and music )

Stagelist:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 3 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not counterpick a stage on which they won). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starters:

Battlefield

Final Destination

Smashville

Pokemon Stadium 2

Dreamland (64)

Fountain of Dreams

Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (singles only)

SSE: Jungle (doubles only)

Counterpicks:

Battlefield

Final Destination

Smashville

Pokemon Stadium 2

Dreamland (64)

Fountain of Dreams

Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (singles only)

SSE: Jungle (doubles only)

Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Lylat Cruise

Wario Ware

Green Hill Zone

Skyloft

Skyworld

Notes:

*Bring your own controller

*The original APEX 2014 ruleset has been modified:
-Pokemon Stadium 1 is now banned
*TOs have final say in any disputes

Last edited:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I don't think so, I've been up to Manteca a couple of times to play with Murio and the other people up there. So maybe :p
ah i see haha. maybe!

i'm the ness/sheik/melee player that destroys everyone LOL

good to see new players man i've been one of the only players in modesto for like 10 years, SSBM, SSBB, and now project m haha..

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
murio, this is posted in tournament listings but not specified as "Pacific West" yet. is there a way you can do that in the opening post?

i think it would make it more accessible to regional searching

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
A Project M tournament in Cali?! Count me in! I've started a minuscule Project M scene here in Porterville, so I'll bring up to three guys with me. I've been in the scene a little while, but the three guys I'm bringing are much newer. Hopefully there's some newer players for them to play as well. Just a question, any idea how late Saturday this will go?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wow, awesome man! i hope we can give you guys a good experience after your long drive. i can accommodate you if you need a place to stay. the tournament will actually be mostly new players!

Last edited:

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
A Project M tournament in Cali?! Count me in! I've started a minuscule Project M scene here in Porterville, so I'll bring up to three guys with me. I've been in the scene a little while, but the three guys I'm bringing are much newer. Hopefully there's some newer players for them to play as well. Just a question, any idea how late Saturday this will go?
Were planning on it lasting until approximately 10pm. The actual number of entrants will be the final determining factor though.

Looking foreword to seeing you there!

Last edited:

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
wow, awesome man! i hope we can give you guys a good experience after your long drive. i can accommodate you if you need a place to stay. the tournament will actually be mostly new players!
We'll probably drive back that night. Some of us will probably have work on Sunday. Thanks though. And that's cool there will be new players. My newbies are nervous about going to a tournament cuz they're still learning. I told them just to have fun with it. Heck, my official Melee singles tournament record is like 0-16.

Were planning on it lasting until approximately 10pm. The actual number of entrants will be the final determining factor though.

Looking foreword to seeing you there!
We can probably stay til the end then. How many are you anticipating?

wanna MM in a mewtwo mirror? :p
Mewtwo mirrors are so dumb. :p But I'll do it. Prepare to get MewTWO-stocked! :cool:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Alright. Don't wanna hassle you too much! I think one should be good. It would be really helpful to keep the tournament timely!

Leifus

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, new to project m. I used to play melee a bit back when that was more popular. I just started work in Manteca so I'm out there a lot. I'd love to get back into the smash scene, I'll see you guys there!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hype lol. So looks like we will have a few coming from fresno as well, confirmed on fb. Unless I said that already? Lol

Top Bottom