• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 15: Top 50 up! Make Your Move 16 starts August 25th!

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Jodie Reynolds

Jodie has been a bit overshadowed this contest largely due to coming out to a similar time as sets that were heavily mocked and as such soaking up a lot of our attention, as well as being in relatively close proximity to both Funny Valentine and the final sets of the contest. Which is a bit of a shame, as Jodie is a very fun moveset that clearly exemplifies the high points of UserShadow's style. The set is based around the core of being able to plant her attacks as garments, which have properties both as stationary traps as well as the ability to use her own moves, which is handled in many creative ways, from simpler touches like attacks that allow the garments to move on their own or allow Jodie to modify her power or her stationary garments in the Smashes, to more complicated processes like creating customizable minions on them that she can plant her glove Side Special minions on, or creating a multi layer time bomb that leaves behind garments to use further attacks in its wake.

It amounts to a very versatile experience, the set is almost never redundant in coming up with new ways to utilize the on the surface simple concept of planting her moves as garments on the stage, made more interesting of course by the fact that the further she spreads her resources, the weaker they'll get individually. Recent edits to the set still allow for some insanely satisfying set ups though, with the ability to combo between garments in the fabric weaves created in the Neutral Special, or creating big elaborate attacks with Uair or complex minions with the Jab garment. It may come across as almost overwhelming at times, but on a whole it creates a very deep set unlike any other this contest, and its worthy of a high spot on your vote list.

Smady

Smash Master

VECTOR

Vector is the B-side to Don Thousand that overwhelmingly succeeds in overtaking the original that it was meant to be following up. It's not unfitting for this runaway favourite character, who apparently stole his series and now in my opinion has run away with the title of best Make Your Move 15 moveset. FA has to be congratulated for by far his best showing in this contest, having 5 sets (6 including Usami, a genuinely funny joke set), but Vector is his very best.

The set has what you'd expect out of a ForwardArrow set - tonnes of fun playground options, a slew of interesting mechanics on grab and in the specials. This on top of a newly found appreciation for balance that keeps it all grounded compared to earlier attempts at sets in this fashion, i.e. Praetors, makes it one of the cleanest executed sets he's ever made. There's no weird obsessive interactions or over dependancy on a crutch to fill lesser inputs. At its worst, the moves in this set fill a completely necessary function.

At its best, the moves coalesce in a way that feels both extremely fun to experience and perfect for the character. Such as flying across the stage on the back of a projectile sword, using that same sword to cut off a grabbing thread to toss the opponent away and laughing at the opponent's suffering all the while during the throw animations. The way upgrades stack on top of upgrades feels the most fitting interpretation for a YuGiOh set, as a simplistic minion is made into a powerful character in its own right. In this way, the layered improvements to his own projectile and trap smash is very natural as well, creating a trio of infinitely versatile elements to experiment on.

That layered approach to upgrades is true within many other aspects of the set too, giving it great depth. The grab game basically doubles as two full sets of throws, given you can either use the grab to hold down the foe, or at certain points cut a thread holding them in place to send them off. The tether and sword double as a recovery, one I have to mention again due to how memorable it is, but the tether is very useful in its own right considering the importance of positioning in this set's playstyle. These combinations of options and the fact the set doesn't flunk out on any inputs, doesn't have any imbalanced elements and is unique even without the interactions means the set has a nearly infinite level of depth, while remaining open ended on how you approach the character as a player.

Don't let Don Thousand fool you, Vector is the one pulling the strings. He's out for your super vote, and if you read the set, then you've already lost it!

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
BORTH-MAJAR
"This don't work. Me strong, but dumb. You smart, but weak. Let's work together."
"That's the best...and possibly only idea you've ever had. Agreed."

Hailing from the mind of ChaosKiwi, Borth-Majar is an ambitious set not just for a newcomer, but any MYMer. The "Ice Climber" archetype is rarely explored and for good reason: it is hard enough to be creative with one character!

Here, Kiwi did a great job at characterizing both as well as giving each of the pair interesting takes on the same moves, with borth often acting almost like a utility based sweetspot, an interesting take on the team dynamic. A natural desynch option adds to the fun as you can then master both characters movements as they try to come back together to try and sandwich a foe. All in all, brains + brawn make for a ton of fun.

SKOWL

Skowl the Startling is the boss of Autumn Heights, the second set of the Tropical Freeze movement by BKupa666. I often have a soft spot for more aerial based characters being a Charizard main in PM, and Skowl doesn't disappoint. He is very well characterized and has a great set of specials with an intersting wind effect, fun snowball, show stopping dive bomb and a very creative minion/projectile combo that puts DDD's to shame. It's clear who the better cold-weather bird is here, and is definitely worth a read.

THE OBZEDAT, GHOST COUNCIL OF ORZHOVA

The Obzedat is the phantasmal ruler of the Orzhov Syndicate of Ravnica, a plane in the Magic: The Gathering universe, as well as an amazing set by Zook. Not gonna lie, I have huge bias here given that I ~love~ black cards in magic, and extortion is one of my favorite mechanics. Zook wonderfully emulates it into smash bros with incredible characterization and actual mindgames for the foe with how using their gifts by the Obzedat benefits the ghostly council. It is a very interesting take on the "leech" type of character, and definitely worth a read.

Smady

Smash Master

VIVI
It's rare in this community to get to see another set poster, let alone one you greatly respect, try and make their own version of a character that was your own first moveset. Roy takes the character of Vivi and goes off in a very interesting direction, taking the small concepts in the original and evolving them to match the standards of modern day Make Your Move. Vivi steps into many areas, including status effects, projectile manipulation, a deep charge mechanic that is greatly-characterised as Focus/Trance, but doesn't lose sight of the character, keeping it all fundamentally simple and fun to visualize. It's a set that openly encourages experimentation, calling upon my set's one concept, combining spells, in a unique and straightforward way. Once you've reached the peak of your Focus/Trance, you may cancel start or end lag of magic to combine them in any way you desire. It leaves open the rest of these soft interactions to the player or reader to find out, a nice touch of execution for a character who himself is on a journey of discovery.

The execution in this set is deeply interesting to me not only as my newcomer set and as a character who hails from one of my favourite games, but because of the way it approaches Final Fantasy as a series. The levels of magic are incorporated onto the same input as I did in my set, yet it goes a step further by incorporating spells like Flare and Meteor into the mix within the set. For a big fan of the franchise, it was really entertaining seeing Roy handle these long-established themes of Final Fantasy in a way to match what the set's playstyle needed to accomplish and what the character could realistically do, because half the fun in these classic games is using your imagination to fill in the blanks. Final Fantasy IX mostly did away with these elements but it was a throwback to the older games and Vivi is an archetypal black mage, so getting to see these magic spells re-imagined by someone as skilled as Roy was a real treat. This set was posted on the last day of the contest and has been paid little attention by anyone, but I'd strongly recommend it as a greatly enjoyable read.

Last edited:

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
Time for Kiwi's Kool Reviews! Heck yeah! These aren't ads, by the way. They may just be here to pad my URs.

FUNNY VALENTINE

This is my favorite set.

I love it so much.

You just represent the character so well, man, it's awesome. This is actually how Funny would fight in a Smash Bros. situation, which rox my sox. The way you integrate his rather unorthodox powers is also neat. You handled clones better than a couple other sets I've seen with similar concepts, and also expanded it to also cloning the opponents. And, other than have them inexplicably attack the originals, they act like they WOULD: they attack Funny until provoked. Brilliant! A high risk, high reward sort of thing. You can get the foes to think twice, and risk hitting themselves to make themselves attack them...se.... you know what I mean.

There's just nothing wrong with this set. You don't limit Funny's power, you take it to it's logical end point of what it'd be able to do in a Smash-situation and that's awesome. Good job, man you get my vote.

VECTOR

I won't go much into this considering I was preempted by Smady.

Vector is one of the best sets this contest you magnificent &&&&&&&, stop being so good. This is pretty much the quintessential FA set, people. Lots of fun mechanics to work with, especially when it comes to the throws. You have a thing for throws. I like it.

Your flow is, as usual, top notch. It's easy to imagine ways to link the various moves you provide the player with together, which, again, Smady already detailed far better than I could.

This set definitely surpasses Donny, maybe even Metroid Prime, and it's probably the best possible choice for a set based on Zexal. Because Zexal sucks.

BURRITO BISON

Admittedly my memories of his game are vague at best, but you do a good job bring BB to life, DM. I like the idea of a very heavyweight character who's both momentum based and more focused on aerial play than ground combat, it's sort of fresh. Though you're non-aerials and non-specials lack the same pizazz and flow that the aforementioned moves do, it really doesn't detract too much from the moveset in my eyes. It's a simple playstyle and those are my favorite kinds, don't worry. Overall, it's a very solid set that eccentuates your strengths as a setter, DM. Keep up the good work, *winky face*.

SHEEP MAGE

This isn't as good as Pompy in my eyes, but it's still a very solid set, Bion. It's a pretty good minion set, and I like the various things you give the player to do with the sheep, such as giving them hitboxes and whatnot. I wish there were a bit more options, but beggars can't be choosers. Either way, there isn't much to say other than this is definitely one of the best sets you've put out, and what it has over Pompy is that it's got a much more original playstyle than "throw fish at foe". I like it, and look forward to your inevitable swath of Skylanders sets next contest. C'mon, you know you're gonna do it.

ZANT

Admittedly I never liked Zant in Twilight Princess. Or Twilight Princess at all. But that's beside the point. I like pretty much everything about this set, aside from some of the standard inputs and the grab game. But you managed to combine a butt ton of different things. Size changing, minions, walls, good characterization, etc. etc. It's really just impressive how much you crammed in. The wall gameplay is far better than other attempts at such a character, not naming names. The size changing mechanic offers a lot of fun options, which is a neat touch which, honestly, I wouldn't expect to see in a Zant set. The shadow minions are also very well utilized, especially with their many interactions with the barriers, size changing and Zant himself. Overall, another great MW set.

JODIE REYNOLDS

Jodie is a good OC. Good job. Her use of strings and fabrics and what have you is very original, and I love how, although the concept seems limited, it never gets redundant in the set. She's always got something new to mix it up. Her moves flow together, and I can easily envision the playstyle in my head. And I like what I see. Add to all that the stellar characterization you give her, and this is definitely one of my favorite sets this contest. Guess I just have a thing for Jojo... or AWESOME SETS HELL YEAH BOY.

SIDESHOW BOB

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Well for starters despite Sideshow Bob being such a rich character to pull set potential from, potentially being a very prop heavy fighter or making use of various schemes he's had over the years, you chose to go for the somewhat generic choice of a knife set. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if it's done right.

Unfortunately, this was done eeeeh at best. The knife attacks have odd movement attached to most of them, or odd animations, that don't fit Bob as a character, in playstyle or characterization. He has no reason to so much mobility, and, as Smady once said, the movement runs the risk of putting him into his own rake traps. Meanwhile, it portrays Bob as a complete psychopath instead of the faux-sophisticated egomaniacal psychopath we all know and love. It lacks the flair that Bob would sure inject in his moves.

All in all, I feel like there's a lot more you could have done with him.​

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
STORM!

Black clouds fill the sky

EARTH!

I hear my battle cry

FIRE!

Thunder we'll bring forth...

DEATH!

From the power of the Horde...

Thrall

Thrall is an excellent addition to what has been one of Warlord's better contests to date. While Thrall contains elements of a classic camper, it's the more physical parts of this orc that tickle my fancy, along with the more proactive uses of projectiles: The Neutral Special chain lightning is a nice way to take advantage of the terraforming, for example, but the ball lightning is one of my personal favorities from the set, which offers a fun variety of projectile reflection, manipulation and splitting overall, though the Forward Smash offering a lot of melee options is also a plus and I very much enjoy it with the Pikachu-esque Forward Tilt. And while Thrall's camping can at times be dry, I quite enjoyed the use of a Pikachu-esque Thunder move combined with earthen pillars and his melee game, along with some fun tricks you can pull with the movement of the wolf and the ability to strike a ball lightning above you with the thunder.

Thrall's use of earthshaking is also a bit novel, in a good way, and yet another interpertation of the fairly popular effect, one that I thought was fairly interesting, and his terraforming has some nice ideas with it, like the Down Tilt spike to pop off it or a ledge, giving Thrall surprisingly interesting offstage options when combined with lunging offstage with Forward Smash, the spike, the ability to Up Smash a Thunder while flying off to chase a foe, wrapping your Forward Tilt lightning arcs to wrap around lips and whatnot, all very good stuff. So while Thrall might not be Warlord's best this contest, it's a set well worth keeping in minde...for the Horde!

Last edited:

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman

Iku is a set that I feel has been majorly overlooked due to its surface simplicity. A lot of positioning and pressure moves, combined with a buffing mechanic, sound like basic fair and admittedly it isn't a mind bending web of complexity.

Make no mistake, however- complexity and depth are not necessarily the same thing. Iku has a rich playstyle focused on reading and cornering the foe. Using delayed attacks, space-restricting hitboxes, multiple effect moves, intentional blind spots, well-timed counters, small but rewarding sweet spots, controlling and reflecting projectiles, timing manipulation, and the ability to slow the foe down make for a cerebral experience and encourages players to plan ahead as far as possible to control the pace of the match.

What ties it together is what initially seems like a strangely executed but mundane self-buffing mechanic. By stealing the 'charge' she places into an opponent as a debuff, Iku can greatly empower her own moves or save the debuffs to reapply them to a foe at a later point. To do so, the player is required to capitalize on their own openings and successful reads of their opponent to steal the charge away from them after a successful counter, forcing them to use their own version of Iku's power to 'read the atmosphere'.

The set may seem overly simple at first, but it is simple because it does not need the extra complication; it has more than enough depth with what it has, and any more would be clutter at best. It is streamlined excellently, evenly and expertly executed, fitting of the character it represents.

With the only negative coming to mind being minor typos (referring to the Up Special as the Up Smash in the special's description, the Forward Smash as the Final Smash in the Forward Smash's description, for example), the humble-looking but graceful set is perhaps my favorite from a contest filled with fantastic sets.

While I don't hold it in the same regard as Iku, sharing the issues with its Side Special that Forward Arrow did, I feel the set shouldn't be completely overlooked. The Sheep themselves act as a barrel of fun for the simple fact that you're directing adorably evil (but somehow less evil than the normal ones) bumpers about the stage, who for the most part are unwitting towards the frustration and carnage they create for foes.

That's not to say shuffling them around is the only trick to the set. The Sheep Mage is capable of warping them around, or even transforming them into far less passive nuisances. Rams can easily ping-pong foes against their docile cousins, and with a little evil magic, the herd is transformed into a series of killing machines. That the foe can be directed around in the same manner as the summoned minions once transformed adds an extra layer to the mayhem.

There's not much else to be said for the Sheep Mage. It's a straightforward set that's a lot of fun to picture, if not as elegant as my previous recommendation, and deserves some recognition.

On the polar opposite end of Iku's careful adjusting of the flow of battle, Youmu takes a much more direct approach to controlling the fight with sudden bursts of aggression, but that doesn't make her playstyle any less calculated. Where Iku relies on precision and foresight, Youmu builds towards an opening to capitalize on her powerful approach options, high speed, and high-risk high-reward attacks.

Youmu's mechanics are centered around her spirit half and the afterimages her speed creates, granting her extra hitboxes to fight with at the cost of having an extra hurtbox she needs to take care of. The mechanics are deeply intertwined with the each other and Youmu's moveset, not by hard interactions, but by the moves simply working in a way that can capitalize on them.

She cannot turn when going her full speed, but foes who try to capitalize on that will have to carefully evade the various dangers she leaves in her wake such as her afterimage, a slow moving projectile that is quickly outpaced by its maker but slow to disappear, a projectile deflector that can either be left in place as a hitbox or carried along, and more; those who stand their ground are no better off, and will have to deal with her onslaught head on.

From there she has a similarly simplistic set of attacks and options that contain a deceptively large amount of depth- in addition to the previously outlined attacks, she has a strike with the capability to clash with any attack, a climatic single-stroke flash step, a frame 1 jab that can lead into a flurry of strikes between Youmu and her afterimages, and many more options that manage to avoid redundancy while remaining both straightforward and creative.

Youmu's entire playstyle is rooted in the details of her approach and chase, exploring all the ways it can be done, countered, complicated, and built upon in order to turn it into an art. Youmu and Iku share a simplicity in moves that creates a depth in playstyle disproportionate to the brevity, so it's little wonder I adored her set as much as I did the latter's.

Last edited:

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Barbaracle
Barbaracle is, in my opinion, the quintessential JOE! moveset this contest. For one, it's easily, easily the best of the Pokesets posted in MYM 15, and for two, it's easily one of the best movesets posted, period. Barbaracle's mechanics are incredibly natural-feeling, able to mix defensive an offensive with a combination of disjointed attacks and hard defensive positions. That's not mentioning the characterization, the master tactician combined with the berzerker makes for a variety of very varying variables, viciously eviscerating opponents until victory. It's very good, is what I'm saying.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Leviathan

Funny Valentine might be the creme de creme of Katapultar sets this contest, but a set you shouldn't overlook is the charming Leviathan. Leviathan is a water manipulator to the fullest, wringing out as much as she can from this, to tbe point it can become...drowning. But don't let this sea of interactions give you wet feet: Once you dive into this moveset, there's plenty to make your mouth water. The number one draw of Leviathan though has to be the number of ways she can interact with both normal water and, surprisingly, barley tea: Bending it every which way is a simple way, but the ability to make geysers is one of the higher points to play off of, especially as Leviathan can create a shield of water around her, after which she can make geysers of tea ON her barriers: Following that, she can use the geyser as an expand-o-hitbox, defensive, or just plain shoot lasers from it, further creating advantageous situations by adding in her ability to split the water shield in half.

Kat also comes up with some very clever and simple uses of the water in this moveset: The Dash Attack's easy and nice way to combine approaching, retreating and pushing away into a great spacing move is beautiful, for example, though I'm also fond for the simple effectiveness of splitting the water or the ways the various angling of the dragonheads on F-Tilt allows you a variety of attack options before even counting in the ability to cancel from the move. The way the Up Tilt can serve as a combination poker/psuedo-Snake Up Smash is also fun and has some interesting implications with geysers shooting out lasers, using them as short term traps or your water shield.

Tying all this together is Leviathan's smashes: Leviathan's Down Smash is probably the highlight, with it's reflection properties, ability to go back and forth off shields, gathering of water and subtler interactions, sometimes with stuff like Up Tilt even. Leviathan's Up Smash making a whirling maelstrom, almost like a midair puddle, offers a lot of options, when you consider splitting it, tornados, barley tea and so on, and her forward smash provides the simple finisher that Leviathan and her foe have to keep in mind. The set is not without it's flaws, it has some iffy balance and at times goes too far in how many interactions it has, but it's the kind of set that can be appreciated for what it is and shouldn't be underestimated. It's a solid anchor to Katapultar's MYM15 voyage, one might say.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
It's quickly becoming apparent that choosing super votes is going to be really difficult! Great showings from everyone!

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
http://smashboards.com/threads/make...y-of-submissions.345878/page-11#post-17073350

Wesker is a rare moveset based off super speed, but does not play off of it with momentum in any real way. Instead, he uses instant movements and exploits of the superpower in order to stick to walls. Wesker can “teleport” to his bullets that he fires off at realistic speeds to gimp enemies and/or to simply get back to the stage after such an attempt. He can stand on the edge with his center of gravity altered as a very powerful and interesting edgeguard to meet them when they come back. While this may sound quite strong, Wesker can only use these abilities to the fullest when using an injection, and will have something of a crash when it wears off. He can use an injection during the crash. . .But then the next crash will be even worse.

While Wesker’s bullets are incredibly fast and difficult to use properly at times, he can catch his bullets with his raw speed and throw them as weak items in order to throw them at more feasible speeds and have more control over where they go. If he doesn’t want to bother with firing a bullet just to catch it, he can throw off his sunglasses directly.

Wesker is one of many rather overlooked sets posted on the last day, but moreso than others for simply being posted on that day as several edits have been done over the advertisement period to further improve minor inputs and to help balance the set to make it more intuitive to play. I implore you to give this moveset a chance, and if you look at the movement this is the obvious one that is head and shoulders above the rest.

http://smashboards.com/threads/make...-kaguya-houraisan.345878/page-2#post-16254815

While Froy did not deliver on the Touhous promised at the start of the contest, Kaguya was still floating around and looked to be quite an interesting moveset. At one time, Kaguya was considered a potential frontrunner simply due to the raw concepts presented in the specials. While some of the inputs made later made it fall from that lofty position, most specifically the aerials, these concepts are still worth looking into. It is the most direct manipulation of time that has been posted in quite a while, and it’s one of the more prolific sets this contest even if it has fallen into relative obscurity. If you’re doing some rereads, this is also another decent candidate to look at as Froy has done some tinkering with it since the start of the contest, with the most notable removal of the nair with a quite well done projectile manipulation attack. Moreso than the other touhous which can come across as sets for magic, this one also has a good sense of characterization, mostly through the use of the props from the material the character was based upon.

http://smashboards.com/threads/make...r-chozo-quick-man.345878/page-8#post-16934981

In a rarity for FrozenRoy, Tenshi has minimal focus on either projectile spam or more aggressive comboing, making this a rather refreshing set in comparison to his usual styles. It’s less surprising when the character’s powerset is earth based and it has his first boss mode added onto a 1v1 set. The interactions are more organic in this set with keystones and pillars creating weaker shockwaves, and the set is quite self consistent. The set very rarely devolves into filler or even just redundant inputs, it’s very difficult to find things to complain about within the set. The moveset is somewhat forgotten in FrozenRoy’s sea of movesets, having been sandwiched between Iku and Night’s End Sorceror, but it’s one of his most solid candidates and shouldn’t be missed.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master

K. ROOL

This set is easily the most overlooked of Warlord's showing, unfair given I feel it is the most comprehensive and best executed K. Rool we've gotten in years. K. Rool is approached in this set as an overall character, taking in elements of his King, Kaptain and Baron personalities, creating an interesting combination of the three in one moveset. Aside from these, K. Rool also takes advantage of his boxing fight in Donkey Kong 64 and can summon barrel minions, having a number at his disposal through a single chargeable special. It may seem as if this would cripple the set, but the set largely avoids the awkwardness you'd expect from such a huge experiment, and comes out the other end being able to showcase absolutely everything that makes this character beloved in the Smash fanbase. There are flaws, but the set is no less impressive in scope, and while there could be slight improvements here or there, you can't deny that it's awesome to finally see K. Rool's full potential unleashed in a moveset.

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944

K. Rool

This a projectile heavy gator king is armed with an assortment of cannonballs, barrels, and crowns. The crocodilian captain has a cool ability in being able to suck opponents and projectiles into his blunderbuss, setting up some interesting situations, or just blasting out a barrage of projectiles which is always cool. What I like most about this set is just how Roolish it is, with it's little touches like playing dead and that gleeful neutral air. This set takes everything that makes K. Rool, K. Rool, and puts it in a nice package that befits the reptilian baron.

Leviathan

With Leviathan, Kat takes the simple concept of water manipulation and crafts a deep playstyle. This dragon girl can fluidly shape water (and tea!) into puddles, streams, barriers, and vortices. I may be alone on this, but I actually like that some of the standard moves have a regular hitting hitbox while also interacting Leviathan's water supply. It gives her the option to retaliate against a close opponent while possibly sacrificing some of her set-up, which makes things more interesting, but that's a tangent for another time. All-in-all, Leviathan is one of the best sets in the contest. Also she shoots water lasers, which is cool.

Tenshi Hinanawi

This heavenly master of earth create rock pillars and use earthquakes to crush her opposition. Tenshi also uses and elagant sword play, and can cut those pillars in an interesting gameplay. One thing that's evident is just how much love Froy puts into this set, and it's just a joy to read through it. One of my favorite Froy sets this contest.​

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Tyrant

I'm pretty sure everyone knows and loves Fredrik, and Wesker has developed something of a following now too, though really I could echo everything Warlord said about that set and it deserves to be read too. But don't skip out on Tyrant, the other Smady Resident Evil set which has plenty of good to go around as well. Its a very straight to the point heavyweight set, with powerful brutish moves backed up by his fairly fun shield pressure game, what with the way some of his attacks "crack" shields to make them extremely vulnerable from specific locations, as well as the after image which can enhance his ability to smash shields further, all the while giving the foe reason to use them over dodges. Its not exactly just overwhelming though, as Tyrant is still bordering on Ganondorf without these tools and his own super armor, making very effective use of nuances like these to turn what initially seems like just a stock Brawl heavy character into an actual threat without resorting to obnoxious chaingrabs. On top of that, Smady had almost nothing to work with in this set as the character has barely any supernatural abilities, and yet it still manages to be interesting.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Youmu

Froy had a number of great sets this contest, so it was hard to choose just one to advertise, but Youmu takes the cake in my eyes as a set that fuses interesting mobility options and restraints together along with the ability to combine three different boxes at once: the character herself, a hurtbox that goes ahead of her, and a hitbox that follows behind. It's a clever set that is worth a read, for sure.

Lucario

Lucario is a very clever set by JOE that takes an interesting spin on the characters abilities, using them in ways that makes even selecting Lucario a mindgame in of itself. Lucario follows up with some great individual moves, using moves like Double Team in new and interesting ways that build off of the mechanics introduced earlier, creating a character that is unique to play as compared to any other character. I highly recommend Lucario Remix to anyone looking for a unique take on a Brawl original character.

Funny Valentine

Funny Valentine is not a 'DM-friendly' set. So it should say a lot about it that I'm advertizing it. it's the kind of set that, executed more poorly, I would probably hate. The moves and mechanics are complex and extremely intricate, and rely on some effects being used in inputs I would normally deem awkward. Katapultar manages to marry execution to character though, making every move make so much sense in light of the characters' abilities that I can't fault it for that. On top of that, he even manages to make a character who is, beyond his supernatural powers, an ordinary human being feel just like that, an ordinary human being in power and ability, yet still ooze with playstyle out of every move. I don't have to say on top that how brilliant the high-risk, high-reward mechanic of duplicating the opponents to fight against is, or any of the other clever things this set does, they stand on their own. Funny Valentine is absolutely a contender in this contest, worth being on any voting list.

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Three

It is only appropriate for my third ad to be ForwardArrow's third set named Three. But make no mistake: Three is far more than a Third wheel to Vector and Don Thousand. But threere's no mistaking the quality in this moveset. Three boasts a nice and diverse list of minions to play off of with a variety of little tasks, from big bruisers to projectile spammers, made all the more interestined by the approach to "fighting" with and against your minions: Not only can you summon minion variations that want to harm you, but they get stonger as they are damaged, creating an immense tension where Three wants to damage them to make them stronger, but this will in turn make her more vulnearable to them striking her. This is combined with a variety of minion buffs with her Side Special, depending on how many thirds of a second she has charged. Wrapping up this strong Special section is Intoner Mode, not only interesting for the buff and the fantastic way it plays off the semi-fighting of your own minions but providing a number of wonderful effects on your minions once you get into it.

The fun hardly stops there, though, as Three has an expansive and intriguing melee game to go along with her minions: From a Forward Tilt taken after my own heart as a simple projectile with a melee sweetspot, some fun DI play with Jab and Up Tilt and simple proning plus a Mario cape effect with plenty off flow in it, Three's standards provide a wide variety of options, and the Three smashes don't stop the hits from coming. Down Smash's psuedo-counter abilities are a snug fit in the moveset and a bit of a personal favorite, an attack that expands with damage blocked and creates a fun move. Three's projectile absorbption with Up Smash is a fun idea and the move itself proves interesting when combined with your minions both normal and Human Hybrid, and Forward Smash's multiple hitboxes create a fun, modular attack to build off of in many ways, in some ways feeling like a strange homage to Marth's Dancing Blade. Her aerials, from bread 'n' butter combo-ers to an aerial defense attack absorber and a fun multi-hit Down Aerial with interesting properties on finishing in the air vs. the ground, keep the hits coming and her grab game with it's bloodplay means the fun don't stop either. I especially love that invasive Pummel.

With one of ForwardArrow's best melee games, excellent ideas with her minions and Intoner Mode to fit perfectly well into a fun close ranged game and a moveset written almost as viscerally as Three plays, there's Three good reasons to say that Three's company, and she stands out from the crowd. Don't skip on this just because you read FA's other stuff!

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Advertisement Period is OVER! Voting Period has now started!

The time for any substantial edits is also over, as Voting Period has begun.

To vote, just shoot your friendly neighborhood Vote Gurus (FrozenRoy and ForwardArrow) your votelist! A votelist may have up to 6 Super Votes (9 points), 15 Regular Votes (5 points) and 15 Weak Votes (2 points)! You do not need to use all of your vote slots, but that's the maximum! And if you have sets to read, you are encouraged to binge and catch up before voting!

Eligible Voters:
Katapultar
Crazyal02
Bionichute
ChaosKiwi
JOE!
UserShadow7989
Getocoolaid
MasterWarlord
Smash Daddy
Conren
ForwardArrow
darth_meanie
FrozenRoy

May our 13 voters have a wonderful voting period! If I forgot you on this list, please just shoot a message saying so!

Smady

Smash Master
MYM15 User Rankings - Update 6/Final Update
Post #354 - End

Raw Data
FAQ

darth meanie
Movesets: Sherry Cromwell, Chao, Goodra, The Great Dusknoir, Fate, Vivo, Burrito Bison, Negi Springfield, Misaka Mikoto

Smash Daddy
Movesets: Lord Fredrik, Tyrant, Albert Wesker

ChaosKiwi
Movesets: King of All Cosmos, Lion-O, Jet Jaguar, Clockwork, Zatch Bell, Astrodactyl, Borth-Majar, Holly Summers, Piedmon, Isabelle, Quick Man, Chill Man, Randy Cunningham, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Magma Man

Junahu
Movesets: Profiteur, Murkrow, Licker, Nemesis, Ganados

ForwardArrow

Movesets: Don Thousand, [Usami], Three, Divinity of Pride, Metroid Prime, Vector

Davidreamcatcha
Movesets: Sideshow Bob, Terminator, Frank Underwood

FrozenRoy
Movesets: Reimu, Marisa, Lucemon, Kaguya, Youmu, Ruby, Weiss, Blake, Yang, Iku, Shadow Naoto, Heat Man, Tenshi, Night's End Sorcerer Remix, Argent Commander, Vivi

MasterWarlord
Movesets: Sloth, Thrall, [Royal Sticker Bowser], Shoot the Rabbit, K. Rool, Fugu, Bashmaster, Zant, Nature's Prophet

Katapultar

Movesets: Leviathan, Funny Valentine, Jorgmungandr

tirkaro
Movesets: Charlotte Evergreen, Reimu (PC98)

JOE!
Movesets: Zoroark, Barbaracle, Goodra, Hydromb

crazyal02
Movesets: Commander Video, Batman, Ratchet & Clank, Ridley, Gomez, Weavel

dimensionsword64
Movesets: Sableye

Bionichute

Movesets: Swap Force, The Lich, Shy Guy, [Cartoon DK], Polygon Man, Pompy, Armored Toad, Mr. Dark, Sheep Mage

TWILTHERO
Movesets: Terminator

UserShadow7879
Movesets: Jodie Reynolds

FlagshipsOnFire
Movesets: Chester Bennington, Rain

APC99

Score Breakdown
Moveset - 30 points
Joke Moveset - 10 points
Comment - 5 points
MYmini - 4 points
Post - 1 point

Bolded sets are new this update.

Joint movesets - made by more than one author - are counted towards both users.

Bracketed sets are joke sets.

The point you gain for a post is negated by anything higher - for example a post of one comment is worth five points.

I will not give any points out to posts that have an infraction.

In this update, only comments were counted after the submission period ended.

Update 6 Summary

The final update of Make Your Move 15, congratulations to Roy for holding on to an impressive win on the total scoreboard, and to Kiwi for being the other member to break the lining system by having too many sets. I'll be talking to Roy in the future about what game he wants, and I wish you all the best during this voting period. I'll be trying to start up the rankings earlier next contest, although it's not nearly as demanding as it once was due to 40 posts per page. If anything has made them hard this time, it's the screwy XenForo editor, and the fact it loves to screw up even the basic, non-coded editor, necessitating you use rich text. Anyway, thanks to all of you for making it a wonderfully active contest.

MYM15 User Rankings - Total Scoreboard

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
^ APC99's name isn't listed in text. Also, Tirkaro has broken formatting in the Total Scoreboard

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
Thanks, I fixed the APC problem. Although XenForo is currently glitching on the Total Scoreboard post and won't let me edit, so that may have to wait a bit.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
Good luck everyone! The amount of creativity in this thread makes me wish I could've finished my other set. Regardless, I'm excited!

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace

Things that probably won't get made, but I may as well post them on principle.​

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Oh, we're posting planned sets now? Well, I have something special planned...

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
upload_2014-8-4_18-20-10.jpeg
upload_2014-8-4_18-20-35.jpeg
upload_2014-8-4_18-38-51.jpeg

This is the stuff that I'd like to do in the order that it's most likely to be made. Will I make ll of these? Probably not! but I have ideas that are more than just simple notions in my head for all of them.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
"WELL, WHAT DO YOU KNOW? THE WORLD IS STILL FULL OF SHIT TO THIS GUY!"

"Behold those who have power and who are not afraid to wield it."

"I stand here, the lion before the lambs...and they do not fear."

"I'm gonna wake you up to reality by smacking you in the face with wads of cash!"

"Certainly, he had far too many weaknesses to use my power."

"Robots are machines that follow orders. I'm a machine that doesn't, so what does that make me?"

“Accept me and I shall grant life everlasting. Though it shall be filled with grief, thou shalt have all eternity to wreak vengeance upon thine enemies.”

"Your curiousity will be the death of you."

"But even a King is bound to the board. You can't change the rules of the game."

"I, Yoshikage Kira, have luck on my side."

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I guess it's time for me to officially unveil my main project for the next contest:

The Mugen Souls movement. This is largely the reason why I didn't contribute anything for the first half of this contest, as I was engrossed in preparing a whole bunch of stuff for this movement. It started with me wanting to make one character from the series, but I then decided to just make sets for all the man characters - 16 in total. The big plan was to have this be a project for Junahu's mini posted earlier this contest (what ever happened with that?), and for that I worked on it non-stop for a good while, still having most of the work on my computer and photobucket account. I learned quite a bit from all the work I did, something that manifested itself in the formatting guide I posted on the Bunker.

There are 6 sets already complete, but a few will need to undergo revisions first for one reason or another. The only thing that's stopping me from just starting this right up is the fact that the main character's set is not finished yet, and that it's largely essential for being introductory. I'm in the middle of working on her, however.

To top this all off, I have 9-14 plans for characters from the sequel game, Mugen Souls Z. If I get the set for the main character of that game complete, I'll post her next contest as well. Actually very likely, too. If I -somehow- get every set complete, I'll likely end up with 25-30 sets from the same franchise.

In addition to the Mugen Souls sets, I have other plans:

The missing member of Aquafall Defense who was meant to be posted between the other two. On hold until I get ideas or the drive to work on the ideas I already have. Don't expect much if she does get posted; she'll mostly be there for the sake of the character. As is the case with half my sets these days.

Yes, this is a Touhou character, and that's Froy territory. She was mentioned a few times in Tenshi Hinanawi's set. Thought it would be fun to try a Touhou set, and I just found her while randomly searching through official games on the Touhou wiki near the end of this contest. Favorite character. Anyways, she's full of potential and has some good progress, but stuck on a few major moves and overall on the shelves because one of her ideas overlaps with one of my completed Mugen Souls sets, and I want to get that character out first.

Here are a few other plans that have a decent amount of priority to them :​

The latter probably won't be that good, if posted. I just want to make a K-ON! set. The set may also be for a different K-ON! character.

I may also try reviving this guy, though he is very low priority due to not being drawn in anime style and not being a girl. Still, the contest could sure do with another Stand-user...

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
Time for my set plans! This is but a fraction of what I hope to accomplish, mind you.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Can we do characters that have already been done? I have some ideas for a Zant set, but someone's already done Zant.
Also, when will the next contest start?

JOE!

Smash Hero
You can certainly do characters that have been done before, next contest will be the 3rd time I've made Feraligatr!

We arent sure on the start date of next contest as this one is just wrapping up. There will be an announcement in the coming weeks

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Voting Period is now over! The top 50 will now be properly calculated and so on, then posted! Stay tuned!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
1) Vector by ForwardArrow
2) Three by ForwardArrow
3) Jodie Reynolds by UserShadow7989
4) Funny Valentine by Katapultar
5) Bashmaster the Unbreakable by MasterWarlord
6) Don Thousand by ForwardArrow
7) Metroid Prime by ForwardArrow
8) Albert Wesker by Smash Daddy