• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lylat Cruise - Mechanics and Patterns

T-block

B2B TST
Lylat Cruise

This thread will provide details concerning the workings of the stage Lylat Cruise, with the ultimate goal of providing the reader with all information necessary to predict Lylat Cruise as accurately as possible. This thread is still a work in progress.

See the original thread by MK26 here

General:
  • The path of the ship the characters stand on (henceforth known as Pleiades) consists of "scenes" connected by a warp sequence
  • There are five scenes, referred to in this thread as Asteroids, Battle, Corneria, Empty Space, Spacecrafts
  • Each time a scene is entered, the cinematic remains the same
  • However, where the scene ends may vary in Asteroids, Battle, and Empty Space by a few seconds
  • The tilt of Pleiades corresponds with the background animations
  • Pleiades will always level out during the warp sequence
  • The order of scene selection is determined as follows: Credit to MK26 for the discovery
    • The four choices Asteroid, Battle/Empty Space, Corneria, Spacecraft are played in a random order; note that Battle and Empty Space comprise one choice
    • If Battle/Empty Space ends up in the first or third slot, Empty Space is played; otherwise (second or fourth slot) Battle is played
    • After the cycle completes, the four choices have their order randomized again and the starts over, with Battle/Empty Space being decided in the same way
    • No scene will be played twice in a row (ie- the first scene of a new cycle cannot be the same as the last scene of the previous cycle)
  • This means that every fourth scene (the final scene in each cycle) can be predicted

For example, Pleiades might take the following path:

Asteroid
Battle
Corneria
Spacecraft

Asteroid
Corneria
Empty Space
Spacecraft

Empty Space
Asteroids
Corneria
Spacecraft

Empty Space
Spacecraft
Corneria
Asteroids

Empty Space
Spacecraft
Corneria
Asteroids

Spacecraft
Asteroids
Corneria
Battle

Asteroids
Spacecraft
Corneria
Battle

Asteroids
Battle
Corneria
Spacecraft

Empty Space
Asteroids
Spacecraft
Corneria

Asteroids
Corneria
Empty Space
Spacecraft

Corneria
Spacecraft
Asteroids
Battle

Spacecraft
Asteroids
Empty Space
Corneria
This means that while the path is partially random, there is more than enough warning to predict the tilt with complete accuracy, since the background can be used to determine tilt, and Pleiades is always level while warping. It becomes a simple exercise of memorizing the tilt patterns for each scene.

• The platforms are considered to be in a state of constant motion, even when the ship is not actively tilting, except for when it is entering the atmosphere (needs confirmation)
    • This means platform cancelling can be performed on all platforms at all times, except when entering the atmosphere

Asteroids:

Background Event-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | Ship's Tilt------------------------------------------------------------
Opens with a large asteroid directly in front of Pleiades | Tilts slightly to the right quickly to avoid first asteroid
Second asteroid; Pleiades gets close and rises above it | Tilts slightly to the left to rise over second asteroid
Arwing can be seen doing barrel rolls from right to left
Arwing destroys two asteroids
Smaller asteroids seen
Arwing zooms across screen | Tilts right
| Tilts back left
Warp | Levels out

Battle:

Background Event-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | Ship's Tilt------------------------------------------------------------
Arwing chases a Wolfen in top right; more ships quickly enter the scene
Great Fox appears from bottom right
Lasers and ships fly across screen as Great Fox drifts to top of the screen | Tilts left
Great Fox drifts to right edge of the screen
Great Fox exits off the right edge | Tilts right
Great Fox appears in bottom right corner briefly | Straightens out slowly
Great Fox moves into screen from bottom left | Tilts left
Great Fox moves up screen, then back to the middle
Great Fox moves up off the screen | Straightens out
Warp

Corneria:

Pleiades appears in outer atmosphere | Slight tilt to the right
Lowers towards the planet; burning begins as Pleiades enters the atmosphere | Level while burning
Pleiades ends up in clouds in Corneria's atmosphere | Tilts right
| Tilts left
| Slight tilt back to the right before straightening out
| Holds level
Rises back to outer atmosphere | Tilts very slightly to the right
| Tilts very slightly to the left
Warp | Levels out

Empty Space:

Smaller pieces of space junk can be seen; no major features
"Gas cloud" appears on screen | Tilts left
| Levels out slowly
Pleiades turns hard to the right | Tilts right
Pleiades turns left and up | Tilts left
Pleiades flies down | Tilts slightly to the right
Warp | Levels out

Spacecraft:

Two spacecraft can be seen, one on either side of the screen
| Tilts right once these two go off-screen
Pleiades comes to see two spacecraft in front, one on top of the other | Begins to level out
Top one explodes | Pleiades is level
A spacecraft enters from the left; Pleiades gets close | Tilts left
| Levels out as it rises over
Another enters from the left | Tilts right
A third can be seen beyond the second, but is farther away
Pleiades reaches a large spacecraft with a "valley"; flies through this | Level
Pleiades enters a zone with red spacecrafts | Tilts slightly to the left, and then slightly to the right
Pleiades approaches the largest on the screen
Pleiades rides up the front of this spacecraft | Level
Pleiades comes out over the top | Tilts very slightly to the right
Warp | Levels out

All in all, these tables probably aren't going to help much. However, it isn't hard to memorize the paths. If paying attention, a player could probably have a decent familiarity with the tilt patterns within a few matches.

~T​

Tesh

Smash Hero
Thank you for collecting this info. Great job.

Now I will know exactly when I can platform cancel.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thanks a lot T-Block. You just did something we should have done 3 years ago :D
I can't believe no one has noticed this pattern before.

Knowing it won't tilt when it's changing is vital and will be of big help.

T-block

B2B TST
I don't claim to be the first to have done research on this. I know there was a thread already in stage discussion with similar information, but I think it had some inaccuracies, and doesn't go into as much detail.

Thank you for collecting this info. Great job.

Now I will know exactly when I can platform cancel.
Hey Tesh:

T-block said:
  • The platforms are considered to be in a state of constant motion, even when the ship is not actively tilting (needs confirmation)
    • This means platform cancelling can be performed on all platforms at all times
I'm pretty sure this is accurate, but embarrassingly enough, my platform cancelling isn't completely consistent. Let me know if you find otherwise.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm not great at platform cancelling either, but it feels ALOT tougher on Lylat.

T-block

B2B TST
Probably because the height of platforms is changing.

It's really easy as Charizard though... full jump and tap down on both sticks and release as you pass through... more likely than not you'll platform cancel. I've been able to do this even when the ship isn't tilting.

KillLock

Smash Lord
The only time you can't platform cancel is when the ship is falling into orbit(Flames around it), otherwise you can platform cancel throughout the whole stage, even if it's not tilting left and right(Still considered a moving platform because of the way the stage moves throughout the scenery).

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I don't claim to be the first to have done research on this. I know there was a thread already in stage discussion with similar information, but I think it had some inaccuracies, and doesn't go into as much detail.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254296
not as much detail? yeah
inaccurate? not as far as i know

the thing about two start and end points might be wrong tho
its probably a range of start and end points

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah that's the thread. I'll include it in the OP and give credit ;D

There are five backgrounds... you're missing the one that's pretty much empty space... smaller rocks and gas clouds, but not much else. I also didn't notice any scenes with different starting points, although that's something I will look into. There are definitely different end points for at least some of them though.

T-block

B2B TST
Nope, it's definitely a separate scene. I know because during my first and third runthrough, it was the one chosen as the "rare" scene (like...1/20 were this Empty Space scene), and I definitely saw Asteroid several times before even seeing this one once. The most defining aspect is probably a huge turns Pleiades makes. The background moves such that it makes it seem like Pleiades is turning very quickly.

MK26

Smash Master
Ah, yeah, it's a different scene, it's got its own pac file

EDIT: youre right, there arent different start points, but there are different end points

and tbh i didnt even find the empty asteroid field to be all that rare...dunno how i missed it

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I've known the way it tilts for a while, but I've never taken the time to actively think about it/write it down and strategize around it.

T-block

B2B TST
Ah, yeah, it's a different scene, it's got its own pac file

EDIT: youre right, there arent different start points, but there are different end points

and tbh i didnt even find the empty asteroid field to be all that rare...dunno how i missed it
Thanks for confirmation.

Did you find any of them to be rare? The first time I loaded the stage, I saw all other scenes three or four times before seeing Empty Space. Same with the third time. The second time, Battle was really rare.

Not sure why it does that, or if it's just coincidence...

MK26

Smash Master
i ran lylat for like 45 minutes of a 99 minute match yesterday
if i had to pick one, battle (i like calling it 'dogfight' or 'skirmish', the one you call 'spacecraft' is more of a 'battle' imo) was kinda uncommon, but nowhere near a 1/20 chance

T-block

B2B TST
Hm...that's really odd. I definitely saw all others three or four times on my first run. If I hadn't known that Empty Space existed prior to starting, I would have assumed there were only four as well.

MK26

Smash Master
Just ran through the transformations a bunch of times:

Asteroid
Battle
Corneria
Spacecraft

Asteroid
Corneria
Empty Space
Spacecraft

Empty Space
Asteroids
Corneria
Spacecraft

Empty Space
Spacecraft
Corneria
Asteroids

Empty Space
Spacecraft
Corneria
Asteroids

Spacecraft
Asteroids
Corneria
Battle

Asteroids
Spacecraft
Corneria
Battle

Asteroids
Battle
Corneria
Spacecraft

Empty Space
Asteroids
Spacecraft
Corneria

Asteroids
Corneria
Empty Space
Spacecraft

Corneria
Spacecraft
Asteroids
Battle

Spacecraft
Asteroids
Empty Space
Corneria

It follows essentially the same rules as PS1+PS2: Take Spacecraft, Asteroids, Corneria, and Empty Space/Battle, and randomize the order. Play all four scenes in that order, randomize again, and repeat. A scene cannot be chosen twice in a row (in other words, at the end of one sequence and again at the beginning of the next). Whether Empty Space or Battle shows up is determined by where in the sequence it's slated to go. If it's 1st or 3rd, it's Empty Space. If it's 2nd or 4th, it's Battle.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The general idea was already known. Its been common knowledge for a while that the background affects the tilt (as the ship is clearly dodging things). This thread just seems to detail stuff alot more.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
So can there be some clarification on when you can platform cancel?

Is it only when the ship is warping between the scenes/transformations that you can't?

T-block

B2B TST
Just ran through the transformations a bunch of times:

Asteroid
Battle
Corneria
Spacecraft

Asteroid
Corneria
Empty Space
Spacecraft

Empty Space
Asteroids
Corneria
Spacecraft

Empty Space
Spacecraft
Corneria
Asteroids

Empty Space
Spacecraft
Corneria
Asteroids

Spacecraft
Asteroids
Corneria
Battle

Asteroids
Spacecraft
Corneria
Battle

Asteroids
Battle
Corneria
Spacecraft

Empty Space
Asteroids
Spacecraft
Corneria

Asteroids
Corneria
Empty Space
Spacecraft

Corneria
Spacecraft
Asteroids
Battle

Spacecraft
Asteroids
Empty Space
Corneria

It follows essentially the same rules as PS1+PS2: Take Spacecraft, Asteroids, Corneria, and Empty Space/Battle, and randomize the order. Play all four scenes in that order, randomize again, and repeat. A scene cannot be chosen twice in a row (in other words, at the end of one sequence and again at the beginning of the next). Whether Empty Space or Battle shows up is determined by where in the sequence it's slated to go. If it's 1st or 3rd, it's Empty Space. If it's 2nd or 4th, it's Battle.
Interesting...nice work. That's definitely not the whole picture though... it took a long time for Empty Space to show up, but it definitely did eventually. Maybe after a certain amount of time the scenes are re-chosen?

i'm hoping that this thread isn't a joke thread o.0
Nope... this one is legit info. No worries.

So can there be some clarification on when you can platform cancel?

Is it only when the ship is warping between the scenes/transformations that you can't?
It seems like the only time you CANNOT platform cancel is when the ship is entering Corneria's atmosphere. At all other times, even when the scene is switching, platform cancelling is possible.

MK26

Smash Master
Interesting...nice work. That's definitely not the whole picture though... it took a long time for Empty Space to show up, but it definitely did eventually. Maybe after a certain amount of time the scenes are re-chosen?
huh?

It seems like the only time you CANNOT platform cancel is when the ship is entering Corneria's atmosphere. At all other times, even when the scene is switching, platform cancelling is possible.
maybe im just poor at platform canceling but there were definitely times when i could not...ie when pleiades is making its trench run during the spacecraft scene

T-block

B2B TST
If you sit in Lylat for long enough, the fifth scene shows up.

What you proposed makes sense, but there must be some way of reselecting the stages for that fifth scene to appear.

maybe im just poor at platform canceling but there were definitely times when i could not...ie when pleiades is making its trench run during the spacecraft scene
I'm pretty sure I could do it whenever I wanted... even when it was warping it seemed fine. I guess I just didn't try when it was burning.

T-block

B2B TST
Oh, I think I misunderstood. So the sequence you posted was all one instance?

If so, that's great. Looks like we've cracked this stage.

Top Bottom