• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Spotdodge

-Wheat-

Smash Rookie
I'll make it short and sweet - Spotdodging is something that I haven't incorporated into my game yet. Apparently, Luigi's is godlike.
I've got a couple of fundamental questions:
  • Generally, when should I spotdodge?
  • Generally, what are good options out of the spotdodge?

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
I've watched some videos and analyzed Eddy Mexico (very known to spotdodge alot). Luigi got a great spotdodge, with little lag in it that start on frame 2, invincibility end on frame 14 and animation end on 22.

Since Luigi can slide and spotdodge aswell, you can use it as a mixup when you go towards players with shield. Don't overuse it cause players will probably catch on and wait out your animation.

Some examples for use:
Against marth, spotdodge is a great tool cause his hitboxes is not out for long, and against fsmash spamming marth's you can glide right through. (Or you can shield slide and wavedash OOS after hit and punish) He want's to punish your shield slideing with grab, well too bad you spotdodged.

When you miss a laggy move (down B, Smash'es) and opponents wait outside your range to punish, most characters want grabs. Great opportunity to spotdodge if you see them comeing.

Many characters go for grabs at high % for kill (Falcon/Fox/Sheik/IC's) If you tend to spot dodge when you know what they aim for, you can sometimes get more out of sticky situations than you would with shield. Yes I know you can DI sheik's dthrow in PAL, still some shiek's find it valuable to go for.

What are good options out of spotdodge? Since it lasts 22 frames, make sure that you know they went for a move that lasts longer. Even tho people say grab come out on frame 7, the lag end on frame 30.
If you are in range for a combostarting move is what I would recommand at low/mid%, or kill move/setup at high% if that situation occurs.

Hope this helps. I'm pretty new too the scene aswell, so please don't kill me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

-Wheat-

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it!

So far we've got - When to spotdodge:
  • To avoid a falling aerial->punish
  • To avoid grabs->punish
  • To avoid a punish after using a laggy move
  • WD in->spotdodge reactionary attack/grab->punish

Also, for the options out of spotdodge question I was kind of looking for a list of moves (that vary dependent on matchup and %).. maybe something like Dsmash, Jab/Multi-jabs, Grab, Ping, sh Nair and Ftilt?

Is spotdodge->sh Nair/Dair a good option?

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
I would not recommand to jump after a spotdodge if you can just get a grab/Dsmash instead at low/mid%
I would not recommand to jump after a spotdodge if you can just get a grab/Fsmash/Usmash/UpB at high%

But you can ofcourse make Nair/Dair work, just try and you'll find out what's best for you.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is in the top tier of spot-dodges. It's extremely fast and useful. As far as when to use it....there's no golden rule really. A lot of times you just have to sense or 'know' your opponent is going to go for an attack that you can dodge.

There are certain instances where you can buffer a spotdodge as a fail safe when you make a blatant error. For example, if you mess up a wavedash -> Ftilt and initiate a dash attack, your opponent will try to attack you after it is over 9/10 times lol. So if you spot dodge immediately after the dash attack is done, they will usually miss.

Really useful against Marth in general.

-Wheat-

Smash Rookie
No wonder I get bodied by most Marths. BluEG, what are the moves that you usually do out of a spotdodge?

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
No wonder I get bodied by most Marths. BluEG, what are the moves that you usually do out of a spotdodge?
Like stated in the post above this, WD OOS and ftilt are the two most important techniques against Marth.

If you land a successful spotdodge you can usually get a punish. Whenever you have a gaurenteed punish, you should always use your most punishing option which will usually be a JC-Grab. You can also Downsmash at 0-55%, then switch to Uptilt for any percent higher.

If I miss a spotdodge, I will often throw out an Uptilt immediately because it covers a large arch aroun Luigis hurt box which can protect from a lot of mistimed punishes from an opponent.

One really cool thing about Marth is that he like leans forward when doing an fsmash, so if you spotdodge it successfully you can Up-B a lot of times and sweet spot his hand lol.

Also if they Misspace their aerial an land infront of your face, you can Up-B pretty easily too

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget that in situations where you're hitting ftilt you could be landing fsmash as well. It's one of Luigi's more situational moves but often in the last stock, high percent situations where both players are just trying to land anything I've seen myself and other Luigis repeatedly land ftilts for marginal gain. If suddenly one of those attacks has much more knockback, notably on the vertical plane, your opponent might DI themself to death if they don't die outright.

-Wheat-

Smash Rookie
Thanks everyone for your input!
Never thought about Spotdodge->Utilt. I'll add that to my list of possibilities.
And yeah I've definitely seen Abate get kills at higher percents with WD in->Spotdodge->Turnaround Fsmash.

Top Bottom