• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi trials video

Hulka

Smash Cadet
Luigi Trials

So I've been thinking about doing a trials video for Luigi, and I need help coming up with trials (Beginner, Moderate, Advanced, Expert). So far, I have:

Beginner:

Wave land on platform when coming from under the platform (straight down)

Edge cancel up-b

Fireballs from ledge

Dash-dance to wavedash

Moderate:

Double aerials (same attack)

Up-throw to Shoyuken (strong up-b)

Wave land on platform when coming from under the platform (with momentum going left or right)

Wavedash out of shield

Ledge hop aerial re-grab (TobiasXK)

Ledge dash buffer roll

Down-B from ledge re-grab (Verda Stelo)

Advanced:

Vududash

Double aerials (different attacks)

3 wavedashes to get from one side of FD to the other

"Moonwalk" (wave stepping) across FD

Nair drop cancel

Ledge dash on Yoshi's, turn around wavedash to ledge

Side-B ledge cancel

Short hop aerial fastfall waveland (TobiasXK)

Juggle Nair to up-B

Expert:

2 consecutive Vududashes

3 consecutive Nair drop cancels

Short hop down-B to side platform on Dream Land

Air dodge ledge stall

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Post ideas below!

Last edited:

Lancy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-3488-7050
3 wavedashes belongs in beginner. IMO, it's easier than wavelanding from beneath, probably easier than ledge cancelled up-B, too.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
short hop aerial fastfall waveland and short hop aerial rejump platform waveland are pretty essential imo. fireball from ledge is of questionable usefulness; ledgehop bair regrab (or ledgedrop rising bair sweetspot) might be a little more fundamental. fake moonwalk is good movement exercise, as is "wavestepping" with initial dash + wavedash forward.

edit: oh and misfiring on command, obviously

Hulka

Smash Cadet
3 wavedashes belongs in beginner. IMO, it's easier than wavelanding from beneath, probably easier than ledge cancelled up-B, too.
Three wavedashes across Final Destination is really hard, especially when you're figuring out Luigi's wavedash distances

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
A moderate trial that I use: regrab ledge from dropping and immediately using the rising tornado. It's a good opportunity to throw in ledgedashes to your practice routine as well.

Hulka

Smash Cadet
A moderate trial that I use: regrab ledge from dropping and immediately using the rising tornado. It's a good opportunity to throw in ledgedashes to your practice routine as well.
Mind elaborating on the tornado ledge technique?

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Basically just start mashing down and B from the ledge. I consider it an okay mash if I can regrab after the tornado and a good mash if I can get back on stage. A perfect tornado may even make it to the platform on YS but sadly I don't think I've ever performed a perfect tornado.

Griffard

Smash Ace
I want to say that I think it's not likely anyone can get a beneficial tornado by keeping their thumb in the normal spot over B -- once I started doing it with the side of my pointer finger and thumb mashing I now get it every time

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I need to practice that transition. I usually vibrate my controller and hands in unison and I get pretty good results. The motivation and groove of tournament play generally helps too.

Scarlet Bean

Smash Apprentice
I'm left-handed, so I kinda have a hard time mashing with my right hand. any tips?

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I would either practice practice practice the traditional right-handed mash, try my style of vibrating the controller under your thumb (this is hard to explain but it works for me), or work on the jankiest left-handed transition.

In other recovery news, I had fallen to the bottom of DL when my opponent gave up edgeguarding me and started running around the stage until I surprised him and myself with a great tornado, double jump, and sweetspot on the ledge. It was awesome.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
"3 consecutive wavedashes across FD"
In my opinion, this should really be "3 consecutive wavedashes of the same length across FD". I think anyone who knows how to wavedash consistently once would not find it much harder to wavedash 3 times consecutively than to wavedash once, but keeping the length of the wavedashes consistent is much more difficult and very important for Luigi who has such a large amount of variation in his wavedash distances.

These techniques have very limited practical use but:
• Fireball from ledge (so that the fireball bounces off the ledge), like Vudujin does here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAdzAvgbOU&t=39s (fireballs bounce off at a downwards diagonal angle on Battlefield, but straight on the other tournament stages).
• Vududash such that the fireball bounces off the ledge.

• Turn around in a wavedash without losing momentum (or with extremely small loss of momentum, I can't tell which it is) by turning in place (lightly tilting the control stick behind Luigi with less force than that needed to start a dash or a walk)
This can be used to:
- Edgehog when Luigi starts a wavedash facing away from the stage and turning around before Luigi slides off the edge without having to wavedash again.
- Stop at very edge of the stage (so he goes into his teetering animation) if he wavedashes while facing towards the stage and turns around before he reaches the edge.

• Wavedash to up-B sweetspot
• Jab to up-B.

You might want to include some of this information about rising tornado:
http://smashboards.com/threads/rising-cyclone-ptp-frame-data-guide.384946/

Down throw at ledge to dair meteor or dair stage spike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAdzAvgbOU&t=163

Last edited:

Hulka

Smash Cadet
I was thinking of making a video showing just Luigi techniques without the trials. Any thoughts?

livelovenintendo

Smash Cadet
Ha no not really I'm a noob and only know like the basics. Thanks for this thread though, I'm currently using it to know what tech to practice.

Hulka

Smash Cadet
Ok, I guess I can make a new Luigi guide for begginers, that would be cool :)

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
if you can shield drop nair and drop-cancel nair, it's trivially more difficult than either of those. it's not like super easy, but "one of the hardest things to do in the game" is a bit much.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
if you can shield drop nair and drop-cancel nair, it's trivially more difficult than either of those. it's not like super easy, but "one of the hardest things to do in the game" is a bit much.
I'm not so sure; the problem is that you have to release the stick extremely quickly after performing the shield drop, which is difficult because of how precise and gentle you have to be when you're performing the shield drop. I have only recently even attempted to do this (since it's only now that I've become consistent with both shield dropping and platform drop cancel nairs), so maybe I'm missing something or making it out to seem harder than it is. I've never seen it done in a game (actually I've never seen it done in a TAS or a teckskill demo either). Are you able to do it or do you know of anyone who is (and if so, could you explain if there is some kind of trick to performing it)?

Also, more suggestions:
• Up air inside a platform to make you instantly land (is this called a no-impact land? I don't know). You have to L-cancel it for it to be useful (because otherwise it's laggier than a waveland).
• Platform warp (http://smashboards.com/threads/new-tech.308463/) into nair or waveland.

In both of these cases you can use the Z button for the aerial and it will automatically L-cancel so long as you are not already holding down L or R (which you might be doing if you did it from a shield drop).

• Stall during a wavedash to ledge by using a move (up tilt, jabs, etc.) or spotdodge to temporarily stop your momentum from carrying you off. An (extremely rare) situation besides just stalling when edgehogging where this might be useful is when you wavedash backwards to the edge of the stage or a platform and hit your opponent with a combo starter, you can let your momentum carry you off which lets you hit them with an aerial without having to jump or drop though the platform.

Last edited:

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
I'm not so sure; the problem is that you have to release the stick extremely quickly after performing the shield drop, which is difficult because of how precise and gentle you have to be when you're performing the shield drop. I have only recently even attempted to do this (since it's only now that I've become consistent with both shield dropping and platform drop cancel nairs), so maybe I'm missing something or making it out to seem harder than it is. I've never seen it done in a game (actually I've never seen it done in a TAS or a teckskill demo either). Are you able to do it or do you know of anyone who is (and if so, could you explain if there is some kind of trick to performing it)?
yea i mean, i guess it's harder than i gave it credit for; just, i happen to have done it a couple times in matches in the past few months just by like...trying to, in singular situations. so it didn't seem too crazy. but just now i got about 1/5 vs a stationary character. i'd imagine someone out there can do it much better than that, but looking at frame data, there might be some other factors that get in the way.

so the techskill aspect of it is getting the shield drop, letting go of the control stick immediately, and pressing A within the window. the thing is, you only have two airborne (animation state "Pass") frames to input the nair (just like with a regular drop) and have it drop cancel on hit. however unlike a regular drop, you will be airborne the frame after you hit the shielddrop control stick input, so the stick has to get all the way back to Neutral in <2 frames in order for you to be able to nair in that window—with a regular drop, you have <4 frames for the control stick to return to Neutral, since you can input Down for two frames and then let go, leaving <2 frames of animation state "Squat" and <2 frames of Pass for the control stick to bounce back.

the problem is that that means it's probably super controller-dependent, since the major execution difference is reliant on how fast the stick can bounce back to neutral on its own, rather than anything about your personal execution... like even if you can shielddrop really well, and you're super fast and only hit the shielddrop input for <1 frame, you still need the controller itself to also be fast enough.

so i guess from a theoretical standpoint, if there's a "trick" to it, reducing the travel distance for the stick would help out. meaning, shield dropping straight down rather than towards a corner in the control stick gate probably helps—which is actually how i do shielddrop nairs and fastfalled stuff.

Top Bottom