• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low tier characters that teach the fundamentals

Lizardon

Smash Rookie
I want to learn how to use a low tier character so when I move back to my Falco I will be knowledgeable about the game and use his options better.

What low tier character can teach me this?

I was thinking Samus or Pikachu.

The simpler the character, the better you'll learn fundamentals

If you want to play as Falco well, you should practice for it by playing as Falco. The skill transfer to him is 1:1

Tickle Me Trotsky

Smash Rookie
Mediocre Falco main here, just stick with Falco. Mechanics will feel really off if you get too used to Samus/Pikachu/whoever and try to switch back. Learn Falco, put in the effort.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Mid tier, but Ganondorf. The neutral (zoning, bait and punish) game is very demanding. Spacing is extremely important. Techchasing is a fundamental element to his punish game. His waveland (and the options that come with it) demonstrates the importance of having good platform movement. He has excellent edgeguarding tools, although becoming a good edgeguarder has a massive learning curve. The degree of commitment attached to the vast majority of his moveset teaches the importance of spacing, L-cancelling, and various defensive tactics. You'll learn DI quickly or get combo'd to death and back. Definitely good for learning basics imo.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Unbiased Ganon main of course :p. Seriously though, Ganon is a good choice. Samus isn't too bad as well, and I think Doc isn't bad either. Someone like Yoshi, Pikachu, Weegee aren't the best choices. Too specific with their tech I think.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Unbiased Ganon main of course :p. Seriously though, Ganon is a good choice. Samus isn't too bad as well, and I think Doc isn't bad either. Someone like Yoshi, Pikachu, Weegee aren't the best choices. Too specific with their tech I think.
Lol you got me, but I think one of the reasons people give up on the dark lord is their weaknesses in basics, whether they realize it or not. Overcoming character weaknesses can truly teach someone the importance of a particular skill.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely. Ganon has hardly any tricks/jank so you have to rely on simply playing better than your opponent. With somone like Yoshi you can rely way to heavily on Double Jump Armour, such that you forget to learn fundamental spacing. Honestly, Yoshi is probably one of the worst lower tier mains for fundamentals unless you have a really good grasp on the game.

Pauer

The Pauerful
I don't see why you need to play a different character. The reason why you would want to choose a lower tier character is because they don't have the same tools that top tiers have which forces you to learn a less straightforward way of solving problems, teaching you to do more with less.
I would say that you could simply limit yourself with your current character, falco, and for example mainly use bair and dair in friendlies to develop the same skills.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
ganon is a good idea. roy can work since you'll never get kills without reads. kirby is the same thing except slightly less dash dance oriented. ganon is probably better since has can actually be useful for peach.

or just play falco and make sure you don't do braindead lasers

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I think if you go too low you might get frustrated with melee. Like Roy is a stressful character to play as. Slapping people with a pool noodle gets annoying after a while.

Top Bottom