• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for constructive critique

jacob91

Smash Cadet
Hi, thought I'd post this on all the relevant sub-forums.

My cousin and I have been playing melee together consistently ever since the game came out, getting together almost every month for the last ten years to have a game or two or a hundred.

Like everyone else we thought we were great until we went to our first tournament. That was years ago - we learned a lot since, but still we are humbled by the wide distribution of excellent players in the community.

So, after going to our local weeklies a number of times to gauge our improvements, we decided to record a best of 3 set on each legal stage at least once a month and post the footage of our gameplay here.

This month we recorded the footage despite not being primed beforehand. Thus we are both playing at much less than our current potential. These videos still show a fair representation of our current skill, despite them being far from our best matches.

I main falco and he mains luigi. We're looking for critique with our mains and advice on what we do that we shouldn't or what we should do that we don't. We'll try to incorporate the advice given into our game and post follow-up videos for critique at least once a month.

Here's the videos.

Yoshi's Story - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHeDZzIA2FY
Fountain of Dreams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asvZgk3gKZg
Battlefield - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvalWh9msPc
Final Destination - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP2PfrbrdXc
Dream Land - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJ7PVa2riQ

I know the forums are inundated with critique threads, so I promise to keep both of ours contained in this thread and to update it with new videos as we record them. I appreciate any feedback and criticism that helps us improve our level of gameplay.

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
Switzerland, La Suisse, Pays de Neuchâtel
I just watch the first matches on Yoshi and on Dreamland. I will just talk about the luigi in a few words (so not very constructives sorry):

1) Move! do dashdance, go on the plateform and don't just stand try to beat with spotdoges.
2)missile approach... mmmmmh you made me thinking of the using of this move in this matchup. maybe it's a little less bad against a Falco because if it's not a misfire you can be interrupt by his laser and if it's a misfire you will "maybe" enough fast to touch him. But, in general, use the missile only for recovery, you will have always a better option and don't play with the chance, play with your experience.

If you have specific questions, i will ask

-Wheat-

Smash Rookie
  • Missile approaches are super-punishable and easy to react to. Don't ever try to hit opponents with a missile. Ever.
  • You should be wavedashing to approach a lot more. WD->D-smash, WD->U-tilt, WD->F-tilt, WD->Jab/Grab and WD->Shieldgrab are all good options. WD->D-smash is pretty safe (and combos spacies hardcore) because if it hits shield Luigi will just slide out of reach.
  • Luigi's got some real janky movement. Use it. Get creative with combinations of dashes and WDes.
  • Learn to sweetspot the edge.
  • F-smash less, you rarely hit with it and get punished a fair bit.
  • A few times when Falco's at low percents you D-smash->Standing U-smash and the U-smash misses. I prefer a D-smash->U-tilt->Ariel. Use a short WD to land the U-tilt.
  • Don't approach Falco from below.
  • Learn to ledgedash. It should be your primary option to get off the ledge. You got punished a lot for ledgehopped fairs and jumping from the ledge (pressing jump while hanging). They should be mix-ups, not your go-to move.
  • Incorporate wavelands on platforms to increase movement and decrease predictability.
  • When recovering, don't missile onto the stage. You can missile into the side of the stage and then sweetspot your UpB instead. Landing on the stage is suuuuper punishable.
  • Instead of throwing Falco off the stage weakly, you should do a U-thow->Dair/Chop for more damage and better knockback.
  • You miss a lot of techs and L-cancels.
  • On Dreamland, you got 4-stocked because you kept D-smashing instead of going for kill moves like Chops or Dairs or F-tilts into edgeguards.

In sum, missile WAY less and wavedash WAY more.

Last edited:

Loo E. Gee

Smash Rookie
I love missile as much as the next guy, but for competitive play I only find myself using it as a recovery in situations where not using it would result in a death, (or if I'm way ahead and just wanna style) it's just too easy to dodge, and when dodged, easy to punish.

You also seem to just be sitting idle for awhile, instead of utilizing Luigi's strong wavedash, while everyone has their playstyle, the most successful Luigis tend to use their variety of movement options to bait and punish, you can do some pretty cool stuff with your wavedash, like dashing in and immediately wavedashing back and punishing if the enemy puts out an attack with enough ending lag for you to do so (this can apply to Falco's F-Smash.)

Other than that, practice tech skill and the game in general to get better.

Top Bottom