• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac's Buffered K.O. Punch Brings Terror From The Skies

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
When Smash 4 first came out, Little Mac terrorized online warriors with his punishing smash attacks and lightning fast speed. As people have gotten used to the game's mechanics, however, Little Mac has become more and more of a niche pick. However, Smashboards moderator and high-level Smasher TheReflexWonder has found some exciting tech that gives Mac a new way to attack from the skies - in a manner of speaking.

He's coming for you.
In the video's description, TheReflexWonder explains that "normally, a KO Punch started in the air doesn't have the huge step forward seen on the grounded version. However, if you buffer your KO Punch after using an aerial attack, you still get the boost forward. It has to be an aerial, as buffering KO Punch out of an airdodge will not work.

This buffered step forward allows you to threaten opponents who are on the platform without needing to be up close and personal." Check it out in action below!

Also provided in the description were easy ways to properly buffer this powerful technique: "There are a number of immediate aerial setups that make the timing easier, kind of like post knockdown setups in Street Fighter. Ones specific to Battlefield are done in the video and are listed below:"

From the lower tier of platforms to the top, Immediate D-Air - KO Punch

Going one tier down, from the top to the middle or from the middle to the ground, Run off - immediate N-Air - KO Punch

From the ledge to the first tier of platforms, Ledge Jump - N-Air x2 - KO Punch

From the ledge to the ground, Immediate D-Air - KO Punch

----

Do you think this new technique will help Little Mac regain his place as a Smash 4 contender? Or is it just a neat party trick? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit likes this idea but will probably not put in the time to get the setups right because he's lazy. Follow him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
K.O. Punch can be annoying, funny, and just plain weird sometimes. Not sure which of those times this is...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So who keeps saying that this game doesn't have tech?

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
inb4patch

But seriously, this is cool. Moving forward like that just makes the KO punch even more terrifying.

Quinfordmac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
quinford_GameCo
There's nothing more frustrating than a Little Mac that knows what he's doing

And now, there's more of them

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Had to watch really close to see what was going on.

Wow! Does it work with all aerials? I have a feeling it'll work better with Nair since it has no cooldown.

I'll start practicing this later today.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
No, no, no, no, NOO! I've had enough rage with Little Mac on For Glory Mode WHY DOES HE GET AERIAL TACTICS!?!?!?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Had to watch really close to see what was going on.

Wow! Does it work with all aerials? I have a feeling it'll work better with Nair since it has no cooldown.

I'll start practicing this later today.
It works with all aerials, and works well in tandem with fastfalling and B-Reversing. It also works with the special attacks that don't put you in Special Fall as long as you're still in the air afterward...but you shouldn't be using Neutral-B and Down-B like that. :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It works with all aerials, and works well in tandem with fastfalling and B-Reversing. It also works with the special attacks that don't put you in Special Fall as long as you're still in the air afterward...but you shouldn't be using Neutral-B and Down-B like that. :p
Haha, alright thanks!
I have a lot to practice it seems.

Nice to know I can execute this after a counter that wasn't triggered. :D

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oooooooh...this is gonna be fun. :D

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Wow. Much advanced. Such technical. Very metagame.

"Aha! We found something sophisticated in Smash 4! Take that Maylay!"

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Pretty neat. I am looking forward to what everyone will bring to the table. Smash 4 is only starting to grow

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Battlefield no longer Mac counterpick.

taolem

Smash Cadet
Not sure how useful this'll be in For Glory, but cool I guess.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
This seems like it has a decent amount of potential, considering that it can catch people off guard who don't expect. And for the people who do expect it, it throws you into a 50/50 + reads situation where the LM player gets to play a mindgame as to whether or not they know the tech, or are willing to use it.
This will likely help LM the most with MUs like Yoshi, Fox, Diddy, etc. Limb characters who don't have fast+high kb projectiles.

Slaudial

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0174-7067
who care it's just going to get patched out once someone shows this video to Sakurai

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you honestly think that's tech then you're delusional.
The buffer out of an aerial attack changes the properties of the aerial KO Punch in a way that is unique to that move and only works in specific situations. Even if it's a specific application of a more general/universal option, it's definitely tech that changes how the move could previously be used.

Ken's air Kara Hurricane Kick (before the most recent SFIV patch :< ) significantly increased its maximum air speed, which allowed you to run away with it in a way that was otherwise impossible in the air. This is very similar to that in terms of being specific tech, even if you can Kara cancel almost any move.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
It seems like this would only be able to be used to its full extent under pretty specific circumstances. For instance, you have to be on a stage with passable platforms (unless you want to pull the from-the-edge style, but that seems a bit more difficult.)
Not to mention, you have to actually have a KO punch charged, and if you miss, well congrats kid, you're ****ed.

It just doesn't seem that scary to me. Then again, I guess if it happened to me in a battle and I had never seen this article, I'd be pretty shocked so... Eh.

I'm just aware of it and how to do it now, so that takes away the fear. I know how to evade it now.

Last edited:

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
As i am an avid Little Mac player i am loving this move! I have pretty much mastered how to suprise them! The only downside to this move is that the opponents can hit the move out of you:4wiremac::4wiremac::4wiremac:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
The buffer out of an aerial attack changes the properties of the aerial KO Punch in a way that is unique to that move and only works in specific situations. Even if it's a specific application of a more general/universal option, it's definitely tech that changes how the move could previously be used.

Ken's air Kara Hurricane Kick (before the most recent SFIV patch :< ) significantly increased its maximum air speed, which allowed you to run away with it in a way that was otherwise impossible air. This is very similar to that in terms of being specific tech, even if you can Kara cancel almost any move.
Using an example of SF Ken analysis, well done. Though it's still meh and it will be patched so who cares. Though props towards the SF Ken comparison and Little Mac similarities.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Looks pretty risky for me to do but awesome, nonetheless. I gonna give that a shot sometime when I get the chance.

sc458

Smash Cadet
If you honestly think that's tech then you're delusional.
Surely tech = technique? This is a technique.

I don't know where you're coming from with this.

And coming from someone who has no liking of Little Mac, I like this. Gives the match-up a little more spice than just "hang around at edge and bthrow + aerial".

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Or you could just down throw to KO Punch. Oh well, nothing a nice meaty back throw can't fix right?

Top Bottom