• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Mewtwo

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Throw everything at him and punish the **** out of his smashes?

Lots of nairs

Don't get disabled

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
mewtwo is a glass cannon. while he does have many strong kill moves, his weight is jigglypuff tier.

- He can't spam confusion and reflect everything you throw at him. he still has cooldown from the move.
- Do not try to punish Dsmash on block. it's very safe.
- Fsmash also ends fairly quickly.

Mewtwo's kill moves are:
- Fair
- Dair
- Fsmash
- Usmash
- Dsmash
- Uthrow
- Bthrow
- Shadow Ball

Yeah. that's a lot.
they're all pretty strong as well.

camp him out and get his damage up.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo's down tilt has pretty good range. A thinking Mewtwo will try to use this a combo starter, followed by a foward air. Rush him so he thinks you will dash attack or dash grab, do not. Instead use a short hop to get past the down tilt, follow up with any attack from there as long as they use the down tilt. If not, pull back with a fair, nair, or zair.

ronniem3

Smash Rookie
Yea, the meta is pretty early. I played a somewhat decent Mewtwo as well and noticed that Usmash and Fsmash are punishable (particularly the former). Seems to have a decent aerial game so definitely make use of nair and zair, or toss some bombs in the air.

GaboRJ

Smash Rookie
Refrain from using as many projectiles. Confusion seems to linger for maybe a frame after the animation, so be wary. Neutral air is your best friend, stop everything he does and best of all: shadow ball is blocked by Hylian shield :D

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Refrain from using as many projectiles. Confusion seems to linger for maybe a frame after the animation, so be wary. Neutral air is your best friend, stop everything he does and best of all: shadow ball is blocked by Hylian shield :D
bate them out with boomerang since it doesn't hurt on reflect

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Mewtwo's weakness is that he's a tall floaty character meaning he's the perfect height to SH zair or RAR bair.
Gale Boomerang is safe on reflect and pushes you away, making it harder for Mewtwo to follow up.
You can fully charge an Arrow and try to bait him into using confusion, as you can hold the Arrow indefinately while waiting for confusion to end, and release it when the reflect frames are gone.
Bombs can be FH or SH thrown above or behind Mewtwo and if thrown behind, the blast should send him towards you, making a Uair possible.
At about 120-140% ish, he can be killed with an U-throw if their DI isn't that great.
Hylian shield will stop a full charged Shadowball, which is one of Mewtwo's best kill moves.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Throw your rangs at Mewtwo with a bomb in hand, a novice Mewtwo will keep depending on his confusion to reflect but get bombed instead from the cooldown of the move- although, it is much faster and safer than his Melee version, so as Navi says: WATCH OUT!

You actually want to keep your distance here becuz many of Mewtwo's moves are now great kill moves ontop of being safer and he actually has alot more range or priority than you would think.

Zair and Nair are again your best friends in this match up! If you can, bait him into uairs and punish b4 he can finish them with a spiking Dair-
Mew2 is so light a stage bounce can kill him pretty early!

You might think he's not that much of a problem because of his weight-
but with his great aerial mobility and recovery, Bair becomes a great gimping move on Link! Normally, this isn't a kill move but it is for Link. Mew2 fairs can also be chained well for early kills so keep control of the stage if you can.

With B-ups new increased damage with latest patch, and many Mewtwo's on for glory getting their feel for him, I noticed alot of novices love using his long rolls-
this can be punished easily with a charged B-up!
Though a good mewtwo will not be rolling as much and instead be sh teleporting, try and predict where they land and throw a bomb there.
Also Mewtwo's traction is super weak so returning rangs can move him very easy on the ground, Mewtwo players who favor his smashes over aerials will hate how the rangs effect their spacing.

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Moves to Watch out for:
Dtilt-quick with good range and can lead into followups
Throws: All his throws are dangerous to us as 2 of them are kill moves and others knock us in the air which he does well in Disable: If he lands this expect a hard punish
Confusion: Reflects our projectiles and if it knocks us onto a platform it can open up many followups for him
Shadow Ball: Even though our Hylian shield protects us this move will lead to early kills for Mewtwo.
Forward Air: This move is very quick and powerful so space him out
Down Air: This is a very strong spike and is kinda quick
Up Smash: Very Powerful move so DON'T GET HIT and if he whiffs he has a considerable cooldown
Jab: Mewtwo can cancel his first jab into a grab

Offstage: Mewtwo has quick, powerful aerials and Teleport makes his recovery really safe so challenging him offstage is very risky. Throw bombs at him and boomerangs to rake up the damage and a well timed gale boomerang against the ledge can screw up his recovery.

Onstage: Mewtwo has great range in his attacks and he can reflect our projectiles back at us. Space him out with nairs, zairs, projectiles, and jabs. Power walk or walk towards Mewtwo so your Hylian Shield will protect Link from Shadow Balls. Bait out his confusion and he will be open for a counterattack. His up smash and disable have considerable cooldowns so punish him with smash attacks, dash attack, or grabs. Mewtwo's rolls don't go that far so a read into Up Smash or Up B for punishing.

Stage Choices: Mewtwo is the second lightest character in Smash 4, very powerful, great air game, and works best when he has platforms. Stages with High Ceilings are good to chose so Mewtwo will have to work harder to get earlier kills. Battlefield and Lylat Cruise should be avoided when playing against Mewtwo as he gains a lot of options from platforms and Lylat can mess up our projectiles and recovery. I had the most success with Final Destination as Mewtwo loses a lot of follow ups and options without platforms while we will have more freedom for punishes and projectiles.

D

Deleted member

I feel conflicted because I play both Mewtwo and Link.

Anyways:

Mewtwo's aerial mobility thanks to his double jumps and range with midair Confusion (gives him some slight horizontal movement in the air) + Teleport means that he can go deep after Link offstage.

Which causes all sorts of problems due to the fact that as we all know Link's recovery is quite predictable.

Confusion poses a problem because Mewtwo can nonchalantly reflect Link's projectiles. And as some have mentioned, Mewtwo has options out of Dtilt to deal serious damage, Fair, Nair, and at a little higher percent, Uair, are all true options which can build percent quickly.

I have not tested it yet, but I do worry that idle Hylian Shield will have problems blocking Shadow Ball due to the fact that Shadow Ball follows an oscillatory path.

Returning to offstage, Mewtwo's Nair can be an obstacle to Zair because it covers his entire body, Mewtwo can just drop between Link and the ledge as he is returning with Zair, Nair, and potentially disrupt the Zair attempt. This is a problem not only because Mewtwo's Nair has some range (because it covers his entire body) but also because the Nair sits out for a long time.

Furthermore, Mewtwo's double jump itself makes it very easy for him to chase with aerials offstage, because it sort of "starts slow" but lifts him very high, Mewtwo can drop low and then DJ -> Fair, Dair, etc and connect as he lifts himself back up.

I can't tell you how many times I've done this and how safe an option it is for Mewtwo offstage, i.e. be very wary if Mewtwo jumps off the ledge.

Thankfully, Mewtwo's moves do have to respect disjointed hitboxes, if he tries to challenge something of Link's on the ground, say F-tilt, Mewtwo will typically lose. In the air, his Bair will also typically lose to any disjoints, it has range, of course, but Mewtwo can still be challenged.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Also another important thing,
Link is essentially immune to Mewtwo's disable. As disable only works on the ground, when Mewtwo is FACING Link, meaning your Hylian Shield will protect you most of the time as long as you powerwalk.

Edit: Mewtwo's disable CAN hit Link, but only when he is dashing forward and activating disable when his head is overlapping with Link's.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this is news or not, but a bomb blows up Shadow Balls, even fully charged. I dropped a bomb on the ground and it ate a Shadow Ball coming at me.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
My Hylian Shield did not always stop a fully charged Shadowball. I was standing still, nothing in hand, no move chosen. I stood still specifically on the idea that it would stop. You've got to watch out for the way it bounces. It's like Pikachu's Thunder Jolt, it has to connect with the shield to be deflected.

Sounds silly, I know. But worth pointing out.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Dropping in to mention this: Mewtwo's fully charged Shadow Ball like Greninja's fully charged Water Shuriken and probably Samus's fully charged Charge Shot and Lucario's fully charged Aura Sphere are transcendent. Moves that are transcendent clank and just continue. The only defenses to these moves are reflect if they're a projectile and don't go over the 50% break point, shield, and avoiding them completely. I'm going to assume that Link, Toon Link, and Palutena's natural shields won't be able to block transcendent moves, but their and everyone's universal shields can.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Well, there we go. I just assumed it was like Thunder Jolt because it sent me flying and it has that weird bouncy thing even when my shield was up and static.

Officious

Teh Scrub
To start this off I only play on the 3DS so I cannot speak for the WiiU version.

On the topic of the Shadowball, I was actually surprised at the shake this move has. Even though the Shadowball appears to be above the ledge, I have been (shamefully) killed by hanging on the edge while Mew2 threw a fully charged Shadowball from on stage, standing. It had appeared that the Shadowball would not hit my hurtbox, but apparently it did.

With this info, and that bombs on the ground stop charged Shadowballs would it be reasonable to assume that the Shadowball may be a bit larger (underneath) than what appears on screen?

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Recently I've been coming across more Mewtwo players. Normally that'd be fine since I could in the past just out range him and punish approach attempts. But with the recent patch I've noticed a dramatic shift in how Mewtwo plays and I think it's more than enough to shift how we as Link players approach this character.

What I've noticed is that we now have to deal with a much faster and slightly heavier Mewtwo with a projectile in shadowball that we can't just eat with out own wall. This is only made worse, at least for me, on stages like battlefield where Mewtwo can just camp out under the bottom platforms and float away when we try a nair or RAR bair approach.

I don't think that the MU I entirely one sided but I think we need to reevaluate how we deal with it

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I played some good Mewtwo players at Northwest Majors this weekend, and it seemed like Mewtwo's DTilt outranged Link's sword (except for FSmash). Is that correct? That combos in Fair strings for Mewtwo which is pretty scary.

Also I presume our UThrow kills him a lot earlier than most characters (thanks to range), so that's an option for killing.

Last edited:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
I played some good Mewtwo players at Northwest Majors this weekend, and it seemed like Mewtwo's DTilt outranged Link's sword (except for FSmash). Is that correct?
Mewtwo's dtilt outranges all sword moves except F-Smash. Mewtwo's dtilt has about the same range as Link's dtilt, ftilt, and dsmash.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
From my recent experience don't go for smashes against Mewtwo, he's just too quick for it. Your best option would be to limit his movement with C4'd bombs and Gale thrown up away from him, His reflector alone makes this MU hell but keep in mind that if he makes the mistake of actually hitting Link with it you can DI into him and Fiar as a hard punish or just jump away form the impending follow up.

Your grab out ranges anything Mewtwo has especially from pivot but make sure not to miss otherwise you will lose the stock.

As for killing Mewtwo, Dash attack, Ftilt, Utilt, Fair, Dair, Uair, Nair, Usmash, Fsmash,Dsmash,Full charge arrow, Spin Attack (all charges),and bombs can all kill though the last two only near the blast zone at moderately high percents.

Aside from that all I can really say is make use of Bombsliding if you are able and always have at least one projectile out, Mewtwo does not like getting hurt and the risk of it means he can't come at us and go HAM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom