• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn How To Be A Master Tactician With Robin

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Robin is one of the more unique characters in Smash 4. With her tome system, aerials that can be smash-attacked, and interesting specials, he (or she) is very interesting to watch in the right hands. That said, Robin is definitely not the easiest character to pick up and play.

The conversations between Lucina and Robin are pretty great.

To remedy this, YouTuber Smash and Grab has created a tutorial video talking all about Robin's unique options. It runs rather long at a robust sixteen minutes long, but it's a great watch. Between its entertaining presentation that mimics actual Fire Emblem conversations and the great advice offered up throughout, this video will be a huge boon for anyone looking to pick up the Master Tactician.

Robin Techniques
What do you think? Did this video inspire you to play Robin? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit did try to play Robin after this. It's still hard. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
seriously hoping this video and others like it increase the frequency of finding good Robin players online and less Robin players who focus on running away from the fight the entire match just go charge Thoron and spam that PK Fire move.

There's so much that's possible with Robin. Not enough people taking advantage of that.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
As great as this is, do we really need a daily character tutorial on the front page of Smashboards? Front page "news" is supposed to appeal to everyone, not just mains to a certain character. Don't think I'm hating on this article; There have been more tutorials that are front page news.

But I really do like the style this video is in.

first! lol
LOL UR SO COOL DUDE ITS NOT LIKE YOU HAVE 4 EASY CHANCES EVERY DAY TO DO THAT

Last edited:

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Have you not read literally every smashboards news post, ever?
and you didn't have to USE THE CAPS EITHER

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I wish more guides had this "entertainment+helpful advice" combination within them. Imagine a Shulk guide in the style of Xenoblade, with conversations, a Little Mac guide with Doc Louis pop-ups, maybe even a Samus guide with pseudo-logbook entries. That would be a clever way to both educate and entertain the target players.

Best guide ever.

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
As a Robin main it makes me happy to see this. Some of this I didn't even know about. I just wish more people would use him/her in tournaments.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Have you not read literally every smashboards news post, ever?
and you didn't have to USE THE CAPS EITHER
just because every article has someone posting "first" on it doesn't mean that none of them are idiots. It's the kind of spam that died out seven years ago on another forum I go to because it was disciplined properly as spam.

Coming back to the video, I now want to practice with Robin. Which is ironic considering how much I hated Robin before. But I already play tons of Ike and Lucina anyway (and Marth if I'm feeling lucky), so rounding out the FE cast wouldn't be so bad.

Which is funny because I've never played any FE game before.

Last edited:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Which is funny because I've never played any FE game before.
:cheep: You should fix that, unless you aren't into SRPG games, I recommend it.
Heck, even if you aren't good with this genre, I'd say you should play Awakening if you have the money. It's easy enough (Casual mode+Normal) that you won't rage quit, and it has quite a lot of loveable and charismatic characters.
I'm biased, though, so.:happysheep:

Either way, this vid sure is going to help me a lot in improving his gameplay. Kudos for whoever made this, the tutorial FE:A style was an awesome idea.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
With her tome system, aerials that can be smash-attacked, and interesting specials, he
Consistency

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
:cheep: You should fix that, unless you aren't into SRPG games, I recommend it.
Heck, even if you aren't good with this genre, I'd say you should play Awakening if you have the money. It's easy enough (Casual mode+Normal) that you won't rage quit, and it has quite a lot of loveable and charismatic characters.
I'm biased, though, so.:happysheep:

Either way, this vid sure is going to help me a lot in improving his gameplay. Kudos for whoever made this, the tutorial FE:A style was an awesome idea.
Funny you should mention that, I do own a copy of Path of Radiance. And I'm sure I'd love it given that the game is about Ike. I've just never played it since my brother bought it like eight years ago, before Brawl was even out and I had no idea who Ike was.

Awakening is something I've definitely considered getting, because >Lucina

My time for video games is just so limited now.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
They missed out a couple of points I would have thrown in, but I learned quite a bit anyway. A good video. Worth a watch if you play Robin, maybe even if you don't and just wanna know about their tricks. I imagine unless you know everything about them, this should shed some insight into Robin for most players.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I wish more guides had this "entertainment+helpful advice" combination within them. Imagine a Shulk guide in the style of Xenoblade, with conversations, a Little Mac guide with Doc Louis pop-ups, maybe even a Samus guide with pseudo-logbook entries. That would be a clever way to both educate and entertain the target players.

Best guide ever.
Inb4 someone makes a samus guide with 'other m' Adam instructing you.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I won't let my brother see this (He is a :4robinm:main).

Sarah Everett

Smash Rookie
seriously hoping this video and others like it increase the frequency of finding good Robin players online and less Robin players who focus on running away from the fight the entire match just go charge Thoron and spam that PK Fire move.

There's so much that's possible with Robin. Not enough people taking advantage of that.
****ing Agreed...and especially the one who kill you and taunt.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
After watching that video, I feel like I can go to For Glory now and TIP THE SCALES!!!

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Could they of made one half of the video be the superior male Robin? He's the default.
People have preferences, though, and this default talk can be quite complicated sometimes.:cheep:
Even if I prefer :4robinm: myself, if the guy who made the vid prefers :4robinf:, it's alrighty. Let's keep it simple like that.
It's not like the gameplay is going to change.
Either way, both :4robinm::4robinf: are love.:happysheep:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Shulk: "Time to tip the scales!"
- Codename S.T.E.A.M.: Dark Dawn

"He's finally back, to tip some scales!"

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
People have preferences, though, and this default talk can be quite complicated sometimes.:cheep:
Even if I prefer :4robinm: myself, if the guy who made the vid prefers :4robinf:, it's alrighty. Let's keep it simple like that.
It's not like the gameplay is going to change.
Either way, both :4robinm::4robinf: are love.:happysheep:
I acknowledge that, all I was saying is that he should the same

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
This guide is a welcome sight. The more people willing to give Robin a chance, the better.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
After logging some 400 hours into FE:Awakening, I really do love both Robin and Lucina, and I'm glad Robin is finally getting some time in the spotlight.

The only real Robin main I've ever seen until now was Etika.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
This is nice. Since Robin was announed I've been dying to play as her (her since I'd use Pink Robin lol) but until this point I've never been able to get the hang of it xD Hopefully this video makes me improve at least a bit with her.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In one sentence Robin was a female, but in the next male

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Inb4 someone makes a samus guide with 'other m' Adam instructing you.
Naw, I'd go more for the Super Metroid or Fusion (even if its my least favorite Metroid overall) style of monologe Samus has with herself.

Honestly don't think there are enough people playing Samus to warrant a guide on her anyway, her metagame is pitifully underdeveloped.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Pretty nice vid even though I don't use Robin myself. Played him/her a few times. Definitely not an easy fighter to master. I'm used to the durability system during the 500+ hours I've spent playing Fire Emblem: Awakening but in Smash Bros., it's a whole different playing field.

I wonder if they'll do one for Rosalina...or is there already one I didn't know about?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Absolutely neat, as a mainer this showed some ropes to iron out some difficulties or techs I don't prefer to use as Robin due their difficulty or unreliability. I have to yet master Meteor-Winds BTW.

Had to also laugh at some of the lines littered in the guide ("Why do I carry so much crap around me?"). Poor Lucy though.

Also I assumed that roll cancel grabs were removed since the 3DS-patch, but I think my memory's being very foggy ATM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom