• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

League of Smash 4 - Mewtwo Patch Preview By Omni

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Tomorrow with the release of Mewtwo the meta for Smash 4 may take a serious change. With speculation abound on what may come with the upcoming patch, purveyor of Smash thoughts, content, and comedy @ Omni Omni has created a "patch preview" lampooning balance changes and helping prepare Smash 4 players for the upcoming days.

All humor aside, the speculation for the patch has been rampant across all of the Smash scene with players making requests for what they believe should be done and others just bracing for impact. No matter what the patch brings, hopefully players will stay civil, explore the changes, and just keep playing the game they love. Online services for Smash Wii U and 3DS will be down from April 14th at 11:50PM to April 15th at 1:00AM PST presumably to implement these new changes, so everyone strap in those seat belts and get ready for another round on Sakurai's Wild Ride!

SmashCapps wants to know what people want from the upcoming patch! Follow him on Twitter and use #SmashPatch to Tweet out your desired changes.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I'm pretty excited to see watch this patch brings... Besides Mewtwo of course.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
No matter what the patch brings, hopefully players will stay civil, explore the changes, and just keep playing the game they love.

Yeahh......no I'm expecting major salt when the patch comes out and something is totally different than what we were expecting.

And I'll just be sitting back and playing Mewtwo.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
edit: naw nvm, you guys have fun :)

Last edited:

trotrombley

Smash Rookie
NNID
freaknik115
I'm wondering what will be done to balance the game. If any characters will have major changes. Has nintendo released any hints at all?

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
Man, I dunno guys. There are more articles covering random videos this Omni guy makes about Smash 4 than there are articles about the entirety of Project M at this point.

Yeah I'm salty/butthurt/unimportant etc etc etc, say w/e you want. Just feels kinda bad. : /
I'll just say that there are two people named Omni. The artist and the gamer. The latter has been around for a very long time so he deserves some recognition despite causing a bit of a stir lately.

Lemonjel0

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lemonjel0
I don't agree with balance patches at all, obviously unless they correct game breaking glitches. As for tweaking characters, I believe for the most part that people need to adapt and learn to properly DI Diddy's down-throw and whatnot. If balance patches become too prominent, the mindset of players, when presented with a "overpowered" strategy, will no longer be "how can I adapt and find a way to counter this" and will become "hmm, I wonder when Nintendo will take this strategy out".

Last edited:

trotrombley

Smash Rookie
NNID
freaknik115
I don't agree with balance patches at all, obviously unless they correct game breaking glitches. As for tweaking characters, I believe for the most part that people need to adapt and learn to properly DI Diddy's down-throw and whatnot. If balance patches become too prominent, the mindset of players, when presented with a "overpowered" strategy, will no longer be "how can I adapt and find a way to counter this" and will become "hmm, I wonder when Nintendo will take this strategy out".
I feel like as long as it doesn't become a really common and regular occurrence I think it will be fine.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
I don't agree with balance patches at all, obviously unless they correct game breaking glitches. As for tweaking characters, I believe for the most part that people need to adapt and learn to properly DI Diddy's down-throw and whatnot. If balance patches become too prominent, the mindset of players, when presented with a "overpowered" strategy, will no longer be "how can I adapt and find a way to counter this" and will become "hmm, I wonder when Nintendo will take this strategy out". But what do I know, that's just my opinion.
If I had to balance Diddy, I wouldn't nerf the D-throw. I would simply lower the knockback of the up-air as so it won't kill as easily. I agree that the down throw shouldn't be nerfed and players should DI, but knowing Nintendo...

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I think I'm the only person that doesn't like Omni lol

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
If you only have one versions of SSB4, can you still get Mewtwo, even if you have to pay for it?

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
If you only have one versions of SSB4, can you still get Mewtwo, even if you have to pay for it?
Yes, you can either buy Mewtwo for both versions or individually.

You should check the official site bruh.

Lemonjel0

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lemonjel0
Yes, you will able to. Mewtwo will be available to people who have not registered both versions on April 28.

Last edited:

Arcana~

I Am Thou
NNID
Orange-Shinobi
"There won't be any more balance updates for Super Smash Bros. on 3DS/Wii U"

Isn't that what Sakurai said a little while back? I didn't really buy that for even a moment.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what would happen to the meta if all characters had aerials like sheik. combo into each other but not kill moves

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
"There won't be any more balance updates for Super Smash Bros. on 3DS/Wii U"

Isn't that what Sakurai said a little while back? I didn't really buy that for even a moment.
There's probably higher ups that make it so his decisions aren't final.

Konuro Silver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Konuro Silver
3DS FC
0774-5097-4262
Can we have like a little timer to show how many hours left until tomorrow :3

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Thankfully MH4U will keep me occupied during the hour.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I agree with this logic, but i think when sakurai finally released the game he had the intention of keeping all the characters balanced , or at least within the same league of each other. Sakurai mentioned during the invitational tournament , that his team believed Samus was the strongest of all characters. We can see that its not the case. I would like diddy to be nerfed slightly. Its ok for some characters to have slight advantages over others but the gap can't be very wide. Tournament organizers are saying diddy is "S"tier, he needs to be taken down a notch.

Kai Zami

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EthixKumamoto
3DS FC
4055-5261-7956
I saw something else in this patch. They gave Luigi's Side B an infinite Misfire 1 Hit Kill.

it will surely open up great Zero to Deaths

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
I believe a metagame is balanced if every character in it has some kind of weakness any other character can exploit. You might think: well that's just not fair if my characters weakness is exploited, but remember: your opponent also has a weakness like this that you can exploit.

So if some characters right now seem unbalanced, the best way to handle that from the players' perspective is tactics. Your opponent's character has a certain playstyle, certain moves that are good to use. Knowing this and understanding this playstyle can be the key to victory, no matter what character you're playing.

So if any balancing would be done in the patch, I hope there won't be many changes, hopefully just minor ones.
I am very excited about receiving that free Mewtwo download code tomorrow, so that is a major change I gladly welcome.

Top Bottom