• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Landed Vanish recovery from underneath ledge

formula91

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker, but I've been interested in Smash since the competitive Melee scene. This is my first time posting. I didn't see anything about this in any of the more recent topics, or the compendium of advanced techniques. So hopefully this hasn't been discussed yet.

Actually, I'm not even sure if you can call this an advanced technique, but just something that I've found pretty useful for mixing up recoveries and staying unpredictable.

When you're hanging on the ledge or coming up underneath a ledge, if you jump forward into the walls/borders of the stage (by borders i mean the inverted slopes of FD and stages like FD) and input an Up B at the correct spacing, Sheik will do the Vanish animation but also stick around the borders of the stage and will actually land on the stage and do a partial landed animation before teleporting.

The input would go something like this: Ledge grab, Drop, Jump, Circle Pad toward stage, and a properly spaced Up B, and you can teleport in any direction you wish after that, even appear in the same spot.

You'll do the initial "jump animation" of the Up B up to the edge but then you'll curve around the edge and land on stage.

The initial half of the pre-teleport frames don't have invincibility frames but the latter half does.
The advantage I've found using this technique is that you minimize risk of getting hit during the frames you are not invincible, but when you are close to the ledge and going around it, you have your invincibility frames.

But the biggest advantage is that, it will guarantee you to get your second jump back, as well as ledge invincibility (edit: I forgot you get ledge invincibility back if you get hit) should you get knocked away again. Since you become landed during the invincibility frames, there is maybe only a small window (possibly none) that the opponent can do to hit you away before you get land.

I also haven't tested the possibility of stalling somehow using this technique, but I haven't really figured out a way. I can't seem to get further into the stage enough so that teleporting to the edge allows me to grab it.

Thanks, I hope this was something new and informative.

Last edited:

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
"Wall Slide Vanish

How to Perform: When under a stage with sloped undersides (FD, BF), use Up B.
Effect: Sheik's initial jump will propel her very far diagonally up the slope.
Notes: This can save a bit of time/recovery distance.
Stages: Stages with sloped undersides.
Usefulness: :4sheik::4sheik:"

Taken from the compendium. What you describe is basicly this thing, with a little bit more examination (is this the coirrect word? dunno). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jackson

Smash Lord
This is cool. It's similar to the Vanish wall slide thing i mentioned in the compendium except it goes a lot further and it can far onto the stage. I think it's a cool mixup because the explosion can mess up anybody sitting near the ledge waiting for you.

Wasserwipf might've meant more "extension" with the up B because Sheik slides futher up.

Last edited:

formula91

Smash Rookie
It sounds similar but I don't think this is the same thing.

This doesn't just propel her diagonally. It's not something I'd use for distance. What this does is that it literally snaps her around the edge and back onto the stage without grabbing the ledge. Gives her a landed animation and replenishes her second jump with little to no way to prevent it.

You can also do this on stages with walls.

As far as the name goes: is "Landed Vanish Recovery" ok?

Edit: I would also like to mention that the spacing where the Up B is input would be something close to the distance of the initial "jumping animation" of the Up B.

The reason why this works is because Sheik has a slight dip in height when she does this technique in the air, allowing her to rise over the edge, then dip down onto the stage.

The initial explosion damage has also KO potential, allowing for pretty interesting reversals, and her reappearance animation has wind pushback. I think it's a very strong recovery option along with everything else that's already been discovered!

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
It sounds similar but I don't think this is the same thing.

This doesn't just propel her diagonally. It's not something to use for distance. What his does is that it literally snaps her around the edge and back onto the stage. Gives her a landed animation and replenishes her second jump with little to no way to prevent it.

As far as the name goes: is "Landed Vanish Recovery" ok?
Yeah, I agree it's different. I'll add it to the AT thread and credit you.

formula91

Smash Rookie
Thanks! I've always wanted to contribute something to the smash community, but by the time I really got into Melee, everyone was already too good.

I'm glad to have added something new!

Jackson

Smash Lord
Thanks! I've always wanted to contribute something to the smash community, but by the time I really got into Melee, everyone was already too good.

I'm glad to have added something new!
Yeah! It's exciting to be able to make discoveries since the game is still very fresh.

formula91

Smash Rookie
Ah, I just wanted to add a little correction to the compendium.
You can do this on stages with wall sides.
It just requires a little more finesse in the input to prevent a wall cling.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Ah, I just wanted to add a little correction to the compendium.
You can do this on stages with wall sides.
It just requires a little more finesse in the input to prevent a wall cling.
Oh, okay. I'll update.

Hyperlinked this thread to the tech name in the compendium.

Last edited:

formula91

Smash Rookie
Thanks Jackson, you sure reply fast. I wasn't even sure if anyone was on here on a Sunday morning!

Top Bottom