• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As much as I'd like her to be in, I can't shake the feeling that, due to EAD developing this, and especially Miyamoto, Krystal won't actually be in SF Wii U.

Even though he's the reason she's part of the series in the first place.

I suspect Miyamoto will revert the team back to how it was last time Nintendo themselves made a Star Fox game.
I don't think that's any reason to revert back to the original team, especially since Miyamoto seems to be aware of how much fans like Krystal, so writing her out would really hurt Miyamoto's reputation.

Besides, it wasn't her fault, it was because they shifted away from the aerial combat style for the majority of StarFox Adventures that it went downhill, and since Rare wasn't really a good choice for second party cooperation for the game.

She's not leaving.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The reason is that Miyamoto likes how Nintendo (read: he) does things and his vision of Star Fox was Fox, Falco, Peppy, and Slippy. Plus Krystal really doesn't add that much gameplay-wise to a traditional Star Fox game, and gameplay is what Miyamoto cares about most. Well that and forcing innovation (read: gimmicks) for the sake of innovation. He doesn't like characters for the sake of characters, look at what he did to Sticker Star.

If Krystal should be absent from the game nothing is going to happen apart from some Krystal fans complaining, Miyamoto's reputation is much too firm to be shaken by something like her omission. It's survived much worse than that.

Last time Miyamoto told EAD to make a Donkey Kong game, you know who was absent? Diddy. And he's much more popular than Krystal.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The reason is that Miyamoto likes how Nintendo (read: he) does things and his vision of Star Fox was Fox, Falco, Peppy, and Slippy. Plus Krystal really doesn't add that much gameplay-wise to a traditional Star Fox game, and gameplay is what Miyamoto cares about most. Well that and forcing innovation (read: gimmicks) for the sake of innovation. He doesn't like characters for the sake of characters, look at what he did to Sticker Star.

If Krystal should be absent from the game nothing is going to happen apart from some Krystal fans complaining, Miyamoto's reputation is much too firm to be shaken by something like her omission. It's survived much worse than that.

Last time Miyamoto told EAD to make a Donkey Kong game, you know who was absent? Diddy. And he's much more popular than Krystal.
Well, she might still have some role whether it's just still what she was in Assault, or part of a flashback like Zelda was in Majoras Mask, or a brand new gameplay mechanic. We'll just have to wait and see.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
That's what I'm thinking too. Miyamoto is just going to go and reset everything and Krystal isn't going to be in the game. It's hard to say, but it really has an equal chance of her either being in or not. Something I think we can all agree is that there's not going to be much story behind it either way. "Bad guys being bad... Are you a good enough Fox to stop them?"

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That's what I'm thinking too. Miyamoto is just going to go and reset everything and Krystal isn't going to be in the game. It's hard to say, but it really has an equal chance of her either being in or not. Something I think we can all agree is that there's not going to be much story behind it either way. "Bad guys being bad... Are you a good enough Fox to stop them?"
Yeah, for all we know, the game could be chronologically taking place before StarFox Adventures, just like the Metroid Prime series took place before Metroid II Return of Samus, and how Metroid Other M took place before Metroid Fusion.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It's hard to say just yet, when we still know so little information. Miyamoto may be focused on simpler stories as of late, but at the same time, he doesn't seem the type to outright throw out characters for simplicity's sake. After all, he had to be involved in the decision to make Peach and Toad (and once you unlock her, Rosalina) playable in Super Mario 3D World.

And did he not make decisions on how to handle Krystal as a character in Star Fox Adventures? While it sucked to see her relegated to damsel in distress, it does say something that when the original project was reworked into a Star Fox gaiden game, he felt like Krystal was worth keeping around.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
As much as I'd like her to be in, I can't shake the feeling that, due to EAD developing this, and especially Miyamoto, Krystal won't actually be in SF Wii U.

I suspect Miyamoto will revert the team back to how it was last time Nintendo themselves made a Star Fox game.
That really doesn't mean anything

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
EAD seems to largely disregard what devs other than themselves have done to Nintendo IPs when making games. At the very least they clearly favour their own games and their own creations to outside ones. Ofc there are exceptions, but especially since Miyamoto is tied so closely to the project I wouldn't expect the result to stray far from how he sees Star Fox.

I'm not saying she definitely won't be in the game, but I do think the chances would be a lot better with someone other than Miyamoto and EAD working on it.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
EAD seems to largely disregard what devs other than themselves have done to Nintendo IPs when making games. At the very least they clearly favour their own games and their own creations to outside ones. Ofc there are exceptions, but especially since Miyamoto is tied so closely to the project I wouldn't expect the result to stray far from how he sees Star Fox.

I'm not saying she definitely won't be in the game, but I do think the chances would be a lot better with someone other than Miyamoto and EAD working on it.
Miyamoto is arrogant, and so is EAD
I've said it once and I'll say it again, she has boobs so she's coming back
Hope so

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
It's hard to say just yet, when we still know so little information. Miyamoto may be focused on simpler stories as of late, but at the same time, he doesn't seem the type to outright throw out characters for simplicity's sake. After all, he had to be involved in the decision to make Peach and Toad (and once you unlock her, Rosalina) playable in Super Mario 3D World.

And did he not make decisions on how to handle Krystal as a character in Star Fox Adventures? While it sucked to see her relegated to damsel in distress, it does say something that when the original project was reworked into a Star Fox gaiden game, he felt like Krystal was worth keeping around.
Not really sure, I know he said "This is how you're going to handle all this for StarFox characters". Maybe she was completely screwed over because of Miyamoto. It's possible since he loves that trope so much. There's nothing wrong with it, but considering how much "story" SFA was supposed to have. It would have been better to have some sort of motivation for her in that game.

I think the reason he felt like keeping her around isn't as altruistic as you may think it was though. Like there had to be some sort of conflict because "reasons" and a female character trapped because well that's how Miyamoto do. Like the jump from Adventures to Assault we actually see some character for Krystal though it might be harder to notice is that she's very loyal. Often volunteering to do dangerous missions to try to prove herself to the team and probably more to Fox, but we're not sure on the last part but they kind of imply that is the case.

Actually it's kind of surprising how much character she did get from Adventures since she was pretty much a blank slate in that game.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, she has boobs so she's coming back
Well, when was the last time we saw Katt? She was the first Boobs and she's been what? Only in 64? (Not a fair comparison I get yeah since Krystal has been in way more games and is more established now) But boobs alone isn't the reason for a characters return.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Well, when was the last time we saw Katt? She was the first Boobs and she's been what? Only in 64? (Not a fair comparison I get yeah since Krystal has been in way more games and is more established now) But boobs alone isn't the reason for a characters return.
Calm yourself man. I think he was joking at the very least.
But I do agree to an extent. They can always scrap Krystal and replace her with a new female character if hey wanted to. After all, what is there to stop them?

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Calm yourself man. I think he was joking at the very least.
But I do agree to an extent. They can always scrap Krystal and replace her with a new female character if hey wanted to. After all, what is there to stop them?
Yeah I know he was joking. Thus why I went for it. Yeah there's always a possibility, but when you have a character like Mystic Fox and just leave them out, it just doesn't seem right.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Y'know as much as I like Krystal I wouldn't mind them replacing her with Miyu and Fay in this game, though I doubt that will happen.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

It is true. After all, even though she became the damsel in distress in some way in Adventures, she did played a central part to the game when Fox realizes she is the key to saving Sauria as I said before. I also agree with Delzethin there of Miyamoto not being the type to throw out characters for simple terms. Once a character has its legions of fans there like what they did with Rosalina there, they are there to stay and Krystal is in a way like Rosalina. Not to mention that she is the only female SF character who has had more screen time than any other female character in the SF series and that shows something like Delzethin said there that he feels Krystal is really worth keeping around. After all, Miyamoto and Nintendo know very well of the fanbase Krystal has. Hopefully we'll know more information on SF Wii U soon.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

I have the same suspicions--though I did get a few dissenting opinions from mine earlier in this thread.

If she's not a part of Star Fox Wii U, then I will say she will probably have little to no chance of being DLC for Smash (assuming Sakurai's team even does additional DLC beyond Mewtwo and the Miiverse stage). I mean it makes little sense to assume she would be DLC in Smash to act as a promotion for a current game she's not even a part of. That is, of course, assuming she's not a part of the game to begin with.

We shall see in due time.

I believe I've already warned people on this thread against getting their hopes up for a pleasant surprise in Star Fox Wii U. True, they're witholding information from us, regarding the game itself. However as we know, Miyamoto having a heavy hand in on the project means that the information he's witholding will most likely pertain to the nature of the gameplay itself (meaning most of the new mechanics supposedly involved with the Wii U gamepad that are to be featured within Star Fox Wii U).

I'm predicting that the newly-featured Wii U gamepad mechanics, alongside gameplay, will be the main selling points of Star Fox Wii U. I have a feeling that E3's showcasing of the game may justify the prediction. Or at least, these points will try to sell Star Fox Wii U in the hypothetical situation where it turns out not to be that good of a game.

But who knows for sure?

I wonder if Miyamoto even knows himself... I mean he could be just making a game for the sake of making a game, you know?
as sad as that sounds...

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Ah I see, they made Star Fox Command, which haven't played but heard terrible things about. But wasn't that game like trying to be story intensive at least for the SF Universe? Still not sure why they're "Just as bad as Miyamoto" to be honest. OH! I see the project manager for the group making the new SF game is Miyamoto. Though it also says they're looking for a development partner. So there's hope for the game to not just be some weird gimmicky thing.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Ah I see, they made Star Fox Command, which haven't played but heard terrible things about. But wasn't that game like trying to be story intensive at least for the SF Universe? Still not sure why they're "Just as bad as Miyamoto" to be honest. OH! I see the project manager for the group making the new SF game is Miyamoto. Though it also says they're looking for a development partner. So there's hope for the game to not just be some weird gimmicky thing.
Basically it screwed the series story way up. But eh...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
EAD didn't make Command, they just helped with it's development. The last SF game to be made by Nintendo themselves and not a 2nd or 3rd party (not counting SF64 3D) was SF 64.

And EAD isn't bad, they're pretty much the highest regarded dev team in the world, they're just very insular and self-assured to the point of ignoring other teams' work, which could largely be due to Miyamoto. Still, saying they're "bad" for potentially omitting Krystal is as silly as those who say the SF games took a dive because of Krystal.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I have the same suspicions--though I did get a few dissenting opinions from mine earlier in this thread.

If she's not a part of Star Fox Wii U, then I will say she will probably have little to no chance of being DLC for Smash (assuming Sakurai's team even does additional DLC beyond Mewtwo and the Miiverse stage). I mean it makes little sense to assume she would be DLC in Smash to act as a promotion for a current game she's not even a part of. That is, of course, assuming she's not a part of the game to begin with.
It's not about promotion, though. Smash has never been a marketing tool (with one exception under unusual circumstances) so much as a celebration of Nintendo's games. If Krystal made it in as DLC, it wouldn't be to promote the new Star Fox game, it'd be because she already had a lot going for her except for relevance...and then she became relevant again.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
EAD didn't make Command, they just helped with it's development. The last SF game to be made by Nintendo themselves and not a 2nd or 3rd party (not counting SF64 3D) was SF 64.

And EAD isn't bad, they're pretty much the highest regarded dev team in the world, they're just very insular and self-assured to the point of ignoring other teams' work, which could largely be due to Miyamoto. Still, saying they're "bad" for potentially omitting Krystal is as silly as those who say the SF games took a dive because of Krystal.
Oh okay that sort of makes more sense.

The people who think SF took a dive because of Krystal are the same idiots who just use the "furry bait" line. It is more unfortunate that it even happened like that. But you cannot possibly contribute her addition as anymore then a correlation of events. You cannot really say BECAUSE Krystal is in the story the SF games are bad. More than anything it's a nasty little happenstance that it occurred along side of SF taking a dive.

Let's be honest though 64 was a REALLY good game. Even now if you go back and play it. It is kind of on the high point of the series. It really peaked then and maybe it was the downfall that nothing would really be as good as it?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Wait, didn't Command's main ending have her rejoining Star Fox? If anything, that seems like the one they'd go with.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Wait, didn't Command's main ending have her rejoining Star Fox? If anything, that seems like the one they'd go with.
It had a lot of endings from what it seems. Personally it's the reason I hate games with multiple endings cause it just causes so much confusion.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Well, the first path you take in Command, is the only one at that time you can take till you beat that path. Krystal was with Star Wolf when you meet her, then she joins with Star Fox later, and that's when you get the ending were she ran away from Star Fox and joins Star Wolf again.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
She was in both Command and Star Fox 64 3D, fyi. The same can't be said for Krystal.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
She was in both Command and Star Fox 64 3D, fyi. The same can't be said for Krystal.
The latter was a remake, though, so that's to be expected. It'd be like saying Rosalina wasn't important enough to be in Smash because she wasn't in a theoretical remake of Super Mario Sunshine.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
The latter was a remake, though, so that's to be expected. It'd be like saying Rosalina wasn't important enough to be in Smash because she wasn't in a theoretical remake of Super Mario Sunshine.
Agreed. Like what Nintendo did with the Ocarina of Time remake on the 3DS, I'm treating the SF 64 on the 3DS as a remake and not a new game. It's happening once again with Majora's Mask coming soon on the 3DS.

Top Bottom