• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It's just that Krystal ranges from meh to "Oh my God, shut up" as a character. Her first two appearances fulfilled the former, as there was nothing interesting about her. Then Command came around and drove her deeper into the ground.
Then blame whoever wrote the cluster**** that is commands story, It isn't her fault, they just aren't using her properly and that's the fault of the writers not the character itself

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Also, I hate the argument that Krystal should get in because she has "unique moveset potential" despite the fact she can also very well have a semi-cloned special set from Fox, too. Come up with a better argument.
unique moveset potential
potential
potential
It doesn't mean she will or ought to, but the potential is there for her.

The issue is not "what can she do?", the issue is "will Sakurai realise that?"

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It doesn't mean she will or ought to, but the potential is there for her.

The issue is not "what can she do?", the issue is "will Sakurai realise that?"
Exactly. Krystal's biggest upside isn't just that she could have a unique moveset while her series has only had semi-clones. It's how easily that moveset could be written and still feel natural and true to her character. There could be predominantly staff techniques or a mix of the staff and other weapons inspired by the main Star Fox games, but it'd be very easy to create a unique moveset for her that'd also feel true to her character and the source material.

And as we've seen with a few of Smash 4's newcomers, that goes a long way toward viability in the developers' eyes.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
It's just that Krystal ranges from meh to "Oh my God, shut up" as a character. Her first two appearances fulfilled the former, as there was nothing interesting about her. Then Command came around and drove her deeper into the ground.
You know what's funny? Some of the Krystal supporters here (including myself) agree that her character in the series is next to nothing. We still support her because we'd like to see if Nintendo has the balls to actually do something interesting with her character for once. You're sort of preaching to the choir here, a little bit.

We've essentially proven (in the recent pages of this thread) that the last thing on Miyamoto's mind is developing interesting characters and/or stories/lore within videogames. He feels it distracts gamers from the gameplay experience. Of course Krystal is going to have poor character development so long as Miyamoto has influence over the series.

I support her for Smash because it could be a venue for her to potentially be awesome, instead of how boring she has been in the Star Fox series itself. Like @ Delzethin Delzethin said above, her moveset could be easy to write (practically writing itself, even) which contributes to viability.

I'd be interested to see what kind of reaction consumers would have if she got in with a totally different moveset compared to Fox and Falco. How would it affect their outlook on the Star Fox series, by extension? I mean, obviously such an inclusion would be much different than what we have seen in the Star Fox lineup in Smash AND in the Star Fox series itself.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, I'm not even a Star Fox fan. I've only ever played Lylat Wars and Adventures.

I just like Wolf and Krystal because they look cool and I think they could have neat movesets. I'm not sure if my lack of experience with the character is why I support her, but if you can get somebody like me on-board based solely on her looks and potential, then I think it could work for the general populace too.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm not even a Star Fox fan. I've only ever played Lylat Wars and Adventures.

I just like Wolf and Krystal because they look cool and I think they could have neat movesets. I'm not sure if my lack of experience with the character is why I support her, but if you can get somebody like me on-board based solely on her looks and potential, then I think it could work for the general populace too.
Exactly.

Comparatively, it certainly didn't stop people from feeling that Ness was awesome when the first Smash Bros. came around. Not many people here (especially in the West) knew who he was beforehand. Then he became more known and liked, thanks to Smash. An initial lack of experience or exposure to a character isn't really an excuse against adding a character to Smash--as we have proof that suggests otherwise.

It's amazing what Smash could do to a character. Hell, even for more obscure ones that people didn't know much about at first like Mr. Game and Watch, or the Ice Climbers. I could go on.

Krystal wouldn't be an exception, so long as she's handled by developers who have an interest in executing character potential. In a sense, Krystal's spot for Smash (in my opinion) is not whether she deserves it (because I don't think she does), but whether or not she NEEDS it in order to expand as a potentially interesting character in the minds of fans and detractors alike. At least that's the way I see it.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
And why are you people ignoring the unique moveset potential of the other Star Fox characters. Heck, even the ones we already had now? Star Fox Assault introduced tons of weapons that the entire cast could use in multiplayer.

And all you people think that Krystal is the only Star Fox character with the potential for a unique moveset.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
And why are you people ignoring the unique moveset potential of the other Star Fox characters. Heck, even the ones we already had now? Star Fox Assault introduced tons of weapons that the entire cast could use in multiplayer.

And all you people think that Krystal is the only Star Fox character with the potential for a unique moveset.
Literally nobody said that.

Of course they have unique moveset potential. Of course they do. But they're in the game already (although it's slightly more of a logistical grey area with Wolf) and they work fine. Krystal just happens to be (widely agreed upon as) the only remaining Star Fox character necessary to wholly round out the Star Fox roster.

She's also one of the few characters in the Nintendo canon to fight with a staff and fancy old-school psychic magicks. The other is already playable in the game.

It's not that she's the only Star Fox character with unique moveset potential, it's that she's the only Star Fox character whose unique moveset potential differs so extremely from the other Spacies.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

We never said that. It'd be wise to refrain from putting words in our mouths.

Literally nobody said that.

Of course they have unique moveset potential. Of course they do. But they're in the game already (although it's slightly more of a logistical grey area with Wolf) and they work fine. Krystal just happens to be (widely agreed upon as) the only remaining Star Fox character necessary to wholly round out the Star Fox roster.

She's also one of the few characters in the Nintendo canon to fight with a staff and fancy old-school psychic magicks. The other is already playable in the game.

It's not that she's the only Star Fox character with unique moveset potential, it's that she's the only Star Fox character whose unique moveset potential differs so extremely from the other Spacies.
Ditto.

We realize that the other Star Fox characters could be unique with their movesets if they were to be added to Smash.

It's just that many of the people here would prefer seeing the magic/psychic/physical staff combat that Krystal could bring over the various weaponry (or machinery/tinkering if you're referring to Slippy) that the other characters would bring. This is probably because what Krystal could bring is not only different, but extremely different than what is already provided by Fox and Falco.

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Her character and development or lack there of has nothing to do with her being a good choice for Smash or even an interesting choice though. I get it, I really do. Krystal was pretty much nothing in SFA but to get Fox laid in the end. Even so, that doesn't make her a bad choice for Smash though.

If you want to debate her value as a character sure, we can go about that. If you look back there's been a lot of that, but a bad character in your opinion =/= bad character in smash.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well... I suppose

I wouldn't mind seeing Panther, I guess, but let's be real here, Krystal gotta be in first because she's far more iconic.
I'm just gonna input a button that automatically responds with "I was being facetious".

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

If you're going to keep posting in here just to try to make people posting in the SUPPORT THREAD for a character feel guilty for something literally no one in here is doing, I'd advise against posting in this thread to begin with.

You don't like the character, or at least think others would be better fits as additions in Smash. We get that, that's fine. Obviously disagreements will be had. However your personal opinions don't reflect everyone's, and obviously are not facts. If you have a problem with people having a different opinion, then again, you're not bound to continue to come to/post in this or any other thread.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Exactly.

Comparatively, it certainly didn't stop people from feeling that Ness was awesome when the first Smash Bros. came around. Not many people here (especially in the West) knew who he was beforehand. Then he became more known and liked, thanks to Smash. An initial lack of experience or exposure to a character isn't really an excuse against adding a character to Smash--as we have proof that suggests otherwise.

It's amazing what Smash could do to a character. Hell, even for more obscure ones that people didn't know much about at first like Mr. Game and Watch, or the Ice Climbers. I could go on.

Krystal wouldn't be an exception, so long as she's handled by developers who have an interest in executing character potential. In a sense, Krystal's spot for Smash (in my opinion) is not whether she deserves it (because I don't think she does), but whether or not she NEEDS it in order to expand as a potentially interesting character in the minds of fans and detractors alike. At least that's the way I see it.
Agreed. All of us here know that she has the amazing potential of being a unique character because of her moveset. The Smash series has been able to do that to bring a couple of newcomers in like that. The only thing that matters is that if she's playable, we can not only enjoy playing as our favorite vixen, but to prove to the naysayers that she can fight after all and not just be a boring clone as they claim to be on her.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
ROB 64

Panther Caroso because suave and sleek.
I know it's facetious, but if he got a set of codecs to speak within, I would support Panther over all others. He was hilarious in Command.

Unless Fawful could appear and also could get a codecs to speak within.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
When it comes to newcomers, Krystal is really all that's needed to round out the Star Fox series, I mean she's the only important character left, I mean Leon ad Panther are background characters, Slippy is important, but not really liked, Peppy is important, but just wouldn't seem right in Smash, Scales only appeared in one game, with Andross, it's the same as Ridley, and yeah. Command was a crap fest, that I'd like to pretend that it never happened, (the game did provide some good fanfictions though)

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
So sorry for my absence again (holidays and then login problematic and then fandom problems) so star fox. First i really want to see gameplay of this game since well that is gonna be a massive turning point for us. (Bad or good)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'd honestly be surprised if we got any Star Fox news at all. They said they're focusing on games coming out in the spring, and we're probably looking at a September release for Star Fox.

If we did get any DLC characters revealed, it wouldn't be for Krystal just yet.

Then again, crazier stuff's happened. You remember July. >_>

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I'd honestly be surprised if we got any Star Fox news at all. They said they're focusing on games coming out in the spring, and we're probably looking at a September release for Star Fox.

If we did get any DLC characters revealed, it wouldn't be for Krystal just yet.

Then again, crazier stuff's happened. You remember July. >_>
New3DS
Well here are the spring games,
MM3D
Splatoon
YWW
KATRC
MP10
CDN
Mewtwo
MK8DLC2
they'll probably be some indie/3rd party
then that leaves,
X
SFU
LZU
SMTXFE
I hope they show us some new smash stuff, I really don't want them to just show the games we know alot about.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Not enough, the game is probably along enough in development, to where a trailer could be made and shown off
Well, they did say the direct was trying to focus on games coming out in the spring.

Let's face it, they held back all the info about Mario Party 10 from E3 until now, so it's becoming apparent now that they're not going that far out into a year that quick anymore. We may not get news about StarFox Wii U until E3.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well, they did say the direct was trying to focus on games coming out in the spring.

Let's face it, they held back all the info about Mario Party 10 from E3 until now, so it's becoming apparent now that they're not going that far out into a year that quick anymore. We may not get news about StarFox Wii U until E3.
WHY MUST NINTENDO LEAVE US IN THE DARK!!!!!!??????

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Well we'll have a trailer by E3 since it'll be "playable"...lately I've been playing on a Xbox one and well let me just say I get the star fox adventure feels while playing destiny. But I'm planning on starting star fox event horizon (Whenever its ready or yeah...)

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
They like to tease, and they are never sure whether something will be cancelled until it is already well underway

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
After watching the Direct from yesterday, it wasn't much of a surprise there and it's like they said, they focused more on the titles coming out in the spring. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't mention anything about the Mewtwo DLC. *sighs* Oh well..but I have a feeling that we may hear something on it for the next Direct before E3(..and hopefully some more DLC for Smash 4 for the characters besides Mewtwo). This Direct focused more on the 3DS than the Wii U since they talked mostly about the New Nintendo 3DS. As for Mario Party 10, about time they brought forth that game into the light after E3 2014. With the game being compatible for the Amiibos(..obviously), I like the fact that they are doing other Amiibos outside of Smash with the Super Mario series. From the Super Mario series, the only one I'm interested there is the Luigi Amiibo(my boy there along with Fox and I would love for a Iggy Koopa Amiibo). This opens up some possibilities for future games for the Wii U like Starfox Wii U(would love for that game to get new Amiibos based off from that game with characters from it like Fox, Krystal, Peppy, Slippy, Falco, Wolf, etc.) and Zelda Wii U (also with characters like Link, Zelda, etc. from that game) since Miyamoto did say that those 2 games will be compatible with the Amiibos. This could help Nintendo expose it to a new audience especially those who are getting into Starfox in a way and get some money out of it.

As for Starfox Wii U, wasn't surprised there that they didn't show at least a teaser trailer for it. It shows from what I'm seeing here is that Nintendo is really making a big deal out of Starfox and Zelda this year. If they don't show it in the next Direct before E3, then we'll very well see it at E3 this year like how Miyamoto said that it will be playable. Besides I agree with CliffJumper there that it is a safe bet that Krystal will be back in the new SF Wii U game for sure. Why get rid of her now? If Miyamoto and Nintendo wanted to get rid of her, they would have done that a long time ago after Adventures. That hasn't happened and I doubt that they are going to do it now since they know that she has a fanbase over this character and they know that.

Speaking of that, I've heard that the Fox Amiibo in rarity is semi-common. Is that even true?

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Speaking of that, I've heard that the Fox Amiibo in rarity is semi-common. Is that even true?
It is in Europe. It's not in abundance like Mario or Yoshi or anything, but there's enough to go around, and it's pretty easy to find.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
It's kind of weird how much they're keeping StarFox WiiU under wraps with this. We know it's coming and maybe they want to have some sort of huge announcement during it? Just a confirmation of characters would be nice at this point. Is it going to be another remake of the original Starfox? I mean when we saw that footage with Miyamoto, though it was blurred out. It seemed very much like that first boss battle place in All Range Mode.

I know cast of characters seems like a nuanced thing, but I really want to know who is returning and who may not. I hope Panther doesn't actually return. Didn't like his inclusion at all. Didn't really seem to fit with the whole Star Wolf team to begin with.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As much as I'd like her to be in, I can't shake the feeling that, due to EAD developing this, and especially Miyamoto, Krystal won't actually be in SF Wii U.

Even though he's the reason she's part of the series in the first place.

I suspect Miyamoto will revert the team back to how it was last time Nintendo themselves made a Star Fox game.

Top Bottom