• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knuckles the Echidna: Saviour of Angel Island

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
(Kind of a long post, sorry)

Knuckles is about the only DLC contender/additional Sega rep left I can think of (other than my voted character, Shantae) that I can really get behind, so if he was considered I'd still support the idea. Sadly, we kind of have the problem of Tails being perceived as the second most-popular Sonic character (even though his role and presence in the series has diminished to the point of embarrassment; particularly so as the only secondary character they're willing to use in any games now). If there's a chance that Sega could get a second rep like Capcom did, they'd probably just go with Tails because LolSonic'sSidekick.

Now, let me clarify; I know Tails has a few possible movesets, and I did like playing as him in Sonic 3. So it's not like his inclusion would make me outright angry or anything, there are just a few other Sonic characters I'd rather be playable instead (mainly Knuckles and Shadow, though Shadow's just theoretical as he's already been an AT but would have a cool moveset if Sakurai knew not to make him a clone; but there's also the problem of him being not so popular with certain Sonic fans), as well as how I feel it would, in a way, be more fitting if Tails was just an Assist Trophy.

But still, what's interesting is that Knuckles does seem like he might have a somewhat reasonable fan following for getting him into Smash, so maybe...

Sonic is seriously lacking in remixes in this game, assuming Knuckles get's a stage hopefully we see some more
This would be one of the best perks of if he were to get in. My idea for more Sonic stage/music content was Labyrinth/Aquatic Ruin/Hydrocity/Aquatic Mine with most of the franchise's water level music, or as for a Knuckles stage maybe something from S3&K or one of his Adventure game stages with both versions of Unknown from M.E.

Mostly because the game would then have raps for both Knuckles and Donkey Kong.

Blaze is a little too obscure and eggman, while I think he could work, would have to be in some kind of mech which would look awkward in a smash setting in my opinion. I personally think it'd be either Knuckles or Tails
She's not really obscure, her problem would more be the fact that she's not one of the classic characters. I do wish she'd get more attention in general though, as arguably the best female character to have been introduced to the series. It's pretty sad Sega doesn't use her more often over the (slightly) ditzy Amy and Cream.

I kind of agree with you that the mech would be a problem, especially since it wouldn't be an original concept in Smash with Bowser Jr. in the game already. And... not to bring up the Ridley situation, but I'd also say that it would thematically make more sense if he was represented as a boss (if the sky was the limit, what would be sweet is if there had been some kind of Adventure Mode with a fight against him, accompanied by boss music from the Sonic series).

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
This would be one of the best perks of if he were to get in. My idea for more Sonic stage/music content was Labyrinth/Aquatic Ruin/Hydrocity/Aquatic Mine with most of the franchise's water level music, or as for a Knuckles stage maybe something from S3&K or one of his Adventure game stages with both versions of Unknown from M.E.

Mostly because the game would then have raps for both Knuckles and Donkey Kong.
Agreed completely, I wonder if they could get Hunnid-P back to do a remix (Although I think he was arrested, don't quote me on that though)

She's not really obscure, her problem would more be the fact that she's not one of the classic characters. I do wish she'd get more attention in general though, as arguably the best female character to have been introduced to the series. It's pretty sad Sega doesn't use her more often over the (slightly) ditzy Amy and Cream.
Blaze is pretty obscure, she only played a prominent role in 3 games, the excellent yet never talked about rush games and that other one we don't talk about. Then the franchise dies and SEGA never used any characters other than Sonic, Tails, Eggman and sometimes Knuckles and Amy in a main game again.
[/quote]

I kind of agree with you that the mech would be a problem, especially since it wouldn't be an original concept in Smash with Bowser Jr. in the game already. And... not to bring up the Ridley situation, but I'd also say that it would thematically make more sense if he was represented as a boss (if the sky was the limit, what would be sweet is if there had been some kind of Adventure Mode with a fight against him, accompanied by boss music from the Sonic series).
An Eggman stage boss would be amazing although they've kinda missed the chance which is a real shame

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
But they were all cut veterans anyway, they'd already been in Smash
True that maybe, but then we have Roy a liked character with some fans who wanted him back but no where near as much the amount of people who where also a lot more vocal for wanting mewtwo and lucas back.

ps sorry if the grammar is bad on this post.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Knuckles would be nice as he is an actual fighter, logical choice over Tails and Eggman but these 2 are more "iconic" for the parallel need (Luigi and Bowser respectively).

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
Knuckles has always been a fave of mine, you have my support. If anyone deserves the 2nd sonic spot its him, tails, or eggman.

Knuckles would be nice as he is an actual fighter, logical choice over Tails and Eggman but these 2 are more "iconic" for the parallel need (Luigi and Bowser respectively).
One could argue he is similar to Wario or DK in the rival sense.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Despite making the Tails thread, my support for Knuckles is pretty much equal. I really believe that the Sonic series needs at least one more representative in Smash, despite being 3rd party. Tails, Knuckles and Eggman are definitely the most likely choices for that.

Possible moveset:
Attributes
Weight - 100
Dash speed - Around Donkey Kong's
Air speed - Around Ike's
Fall speed - Around Mario's
Jump height - Around Pit's

Attacks
Jab and Tilts
  • Jab combo - Two straight punches followed by an uppercut. The uppercut has decent knockback.
  • Rapid jab - Flurry of punches followed by an uppercut.
  • F-tilt - Strong punch with solid range.
  • U-tilt - Pulls both of his fists over his head. Similar to Enrage (Knuckles' upper attack in Sonic Battle). Good for comboing at low percents.
  • D-tilt - Punches at a downward angle (see Little Mac).
Smash attacks
  • F-smash - Megaton Hook: Knuckles quickly and powerful swings his fist around his body. Lots of horizontal knockback.
  • U-smash - Does a spin attack above him like Sonic, but with only one hit.
  • D-smash - Hammer Punch: Slams the ground, burying opponents on either side.
Aerial attacks
  • Neutral aerial - More or less identical to Sonic's, but with horizontal knockback instead.
  • Forward aerial - Meteor Punch: Slams downwards with his fists. Can spike, though the sourspot late hit does a weak semi spike.
  • Back aerial - Punches behind him much like Ganondorf or Captain Falcon.
  • Up aerial - Essentially an aerial Enrage/U-tilt.
  • Down aerial - Drill Claw: Dives downwards in a spiral motion, hitting opponents below with multiple hits.
Special moves
Neutral special - Spin Attack: Like Sonic's down b (Spin Charge), but does more damage in single hits, in exchange for not being able to be canceled by shield or jump before release. Pressing down and releasing B will still cancel, however.
Side special - Glide Punch: Knuckles does a small jumping uppercut before gliding. He cannot glide upwards. Attacking during this allows Knuckles to do a screwdriver punch at the cost of height. Can attach to walls.
Up special - Spiral Upper: Does a fiery punch in a spiral motion vertically. Goes about as high as Mario's Super Jump Punch.
Down special - Major Eruption: Digs underground, moving left or right for a maximum of five seconds. Pressing the special button causes Knuckles to emerge with an uppercut. A shadow appears where Knuckles is digging. Fails in the air.

Final smash - Master Emerald: Using the Master Emerald, Knuckles summons lightning bolts and meteors to hit opponents on the field.

Grabs & Throws
Grabs
  • Grab - standard grab (Mario, Luigi, Sonic, etc.): 6 frames
  • Dash grab - Stretches out, grasping with one hand, a bit more laggy: 10 frames
  • Pivot grab - Like Sonic's: 10 frames
Throws & Pummel
  • Pummel - Punches opponent in the chest for 3%
  • F-throw - Punches opponent forwards with free hand; kills at high percents near the ledge: 10%
  • B-throw - Much like the plumbers', but with one swing: 10%
  • U-throw - Throws upwards with both hands for possible followups: 6%
  • D-throw - Slams opponent into the ground with fist; sends at an angle in front of Knuckles, allowing for followups: 6%

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
so, thinking about this, what if Knux got the ryu treatment when creating his moveset? also, everybody's forgot about critical, non-attack things: runspeed, animation, abilities to set him away from the rest of the cast, etc

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
so, thinking about this, what if Knux got the ryu treatment when creating his moveset? also, everybody's forgot about critical, non-attack things: runspeed, animation, abilities to set him away from the rest of the cast, etc
What exactly do you mean by the "Ryu treatment"

I imagine his runspeed would be around 2.0 (Charizards speed) but he'd have a meh recovery and a powerful ground attacks that are fairly laggy to make him more balanced (Think Falcon). In terms of a unique mechanic I guess he could have gliding like in Brawl but you can turn around, can't go upwards and can be cancelled with an attack, just like in official Sonic games

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Do you mean having certain "A" moves act as buffed specials and having "strong" jabs and tilts for the Ryu treatment? If so, I don't see why Knuckles would have those. Knuckles isn't really a notable fighting game character and didn't appear in any traditional 2D fighters anyway. Having inputs that correspond to Sonic the Fighters or Sonic Battle could be a bit weird.

On the second thing, my post right above yours has an Attributes section detailing his various speeds, weight and height. In my moveset, I didn't feel that Knuckles needed any gimmicks or anything to stand out from the rest of the cast if that's what you mean. His moves and attributes should suffice imo.

Like TDKN mentioned though, gliding would be cool. I'm just afraid that Sakurai wouldn't allow it for this game since he removed it from Pit, MK and Charizard. Knuckles would also need some flaws to balance out his power combined with that recovery and it would be difficult to find some things to take away from him.

Last edited:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
On the second thing, my post right above yours has an Attributes section detailing his various speeds, weight and height. In my moveset, I didn't feel that Knuckles needed any gimmicks or anything to stand out from the rest of the cast if that's what you mean. His moves and attributes should suffice imo
Sorry, never pressed the (Spoilers) button. Nobody else said anything about his attributes except for gliding.

Also, I want wall climbing. Maybe 4 knuckles's worth, but halved on an outward slope (I.e., 4 high on omega onett but two high on fd)

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
No, Shadow's the poster child for "where it all went wrong" to the genesis fanboys.
I'd put birds on surf boards
Trunks the hedgehog
Blaze it the cat
werehog
knight hog

as being worse than shadow.

Shadow is the poster child for where it all went wrong.
But now that gamecube is a bit antiquated, he's the poster child of the Nintendo Era of sonic, which had some pretty good games/ sound tacks too lol.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Sorry, never pressed the (Spoilers) button. Nobody else said anything about his attributes except for gliding.

Also, I want wall climbing. Maybe 4 knuckles's worth, but halved on an outward slope (I.e., 4 high on omega onett but two high on fd)
I don't hink that'd work too well on stages like Yoshi's island where the walls are completely flat, maybe a wall cling could work though

Trunks the hedgehog
Blaze it the cat
werehog
knight hog

But now that gamecube is a bit antiquated, he's the poster child of the Nintendo Era of sonic, which had some pretty good games/ sound tacks too lol.
How dare you...

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Trunks the hedgehog
Blaze it the cat

werehog
knight hog

Out of all of these Werehog is really the only bad one, Silver is awesome, Blaze is better, and the knight hog is....okay

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Trunks the hedgehog
Blaze it the cat
werehog
knight hog

I haven't seen a single person that dislikes Blaze the Cat, so I don't know why she's on that list. Plus the Rush games were well-recieved. Sonic 06 was the only notable bad game that she was in and her gameplay in that is generally agreed to be one of the best.

Shadow, on the other hand, has both a large amount of haters and a supporters. Shadow is my personal favorite Sonic character and is probably the favorite of many others, but I can't see Blaze as being "worse than shadow."

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Any new age characters after sonic heroes/ adventure battle 2 havent earned their stripes yet.

Shadow is new age, but silver & blaze are newer, with less face time on screen (less games & other media).

I would argue blaze and silver are less recognizable and have less of a following due to their exposure. Where as the classics have generational exposure over time.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Any new age characters after sonic heroes/ adventure battle 2 havent earned their stripes yet.

Shadow is new age, but silver & blaze are newer, with less face time on screen (less games & other media).

I would argue blaze and silver are less recognizable and have less of a following due to their exposure. Where as the classics have generational exposure over time.
Blaze and Silver are well known to comic book fans, and Silver is a comic fan favorite but what you said, that is why we need to bring the characters back

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I wholeheartedly support!

While Tails would be a neat addition for the whole Mario & Luigi vs. Sonic & Tails aspect, Knuckles is a known brawler and pitting him against the likes of Donkey Kong, Little Mac, and of course, Sonic the hedgehog in Smash, would be nothing short of amazing.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
here's my last vote
If there are no errors, please press the "Submit" button.

Male
Kunckles the Echidna
Sonic 3 and Knuckles,Sonic Battle, Sonic Advance Trilogy, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2
This Character should be a fighter because He is a fighting machine! He has close combat skills glides and is one of the strongest in the Sonic Franchise.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Anyone plan on bringing our secret group more Knuckles? Because I do want me a part of that support list pie. :3

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anyone plan on bringing our secret group more Knuckles? Because I do want me a part of that support list pie. :3
You know, I've though of something. If TheDarkNoivern doesn't step up to remake his Knuckles thread, then we can easily unlock the one made by Knuckles the Knuckles Knuckles the Knuckles in that new group. That is, depending one who is more interested in running the legacy of Knuckles.

Top Bottom