• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Klonoa DLC Support Thread: Dream Travelers Unite!

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Klonoa Rings in for Namco biased DLC!

I know Sakurai said no special treatment, but he's gone back and fourth on what he's said before.
We all know with DLC means extra dollars, so whose to say Namco won't want a bigger piece of the pie?

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
You got a new supporter and that's me @LaserLockOn
Klonoa the Dream Traveler

Now then, who the HECK is Klonoa, and how do you even pronounce that name? (Klow-no-wa, just to answer that question). Klonoa is the title character and franchise developed by Namco, now known as Bandai Namco, with 4 console games, 4 handhelds, and an appearance as a fighter in Namco x Capcom. Being the obsessive hardcore Klonoa fan I am, I decided to make my own thoughts and ideas about why Klonoa should be in Smash Bros and what his moveset could potentially be.

Games:
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile ~ PS1
Klonoa: Moonlight Museum ~ Namco WonderSwan
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams ~ Game Boy Advance
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil ~ PS2
Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tornament ~ Game Boy Advance
Klonoa Beach Volleyball ~ PS1 (Europe/ Japan)
Klonoa Heroes: Densetse no Star Medal ~ Game Boy Advance (Japan only)
Klonoa ~ Wii (2009 remake of Door to Phantomile)

Klonoa Overview
Klonoa is a cat... or rabbit who is a resident in Breezegale, a village in Phantomile. He always wears his trademark Pac-man hat and carries his primary weapon, the Wind Ring. In his first game, "Klonoa: Door to Phantomile", he is the hero who save the world from nightmares and destruction with his trusty spirit companion who lives in his Wind Ring, Hewpoe. In later games he is assisted by the Priestess in training Lolo and Popka, a dog-like creature, in order to save Lunatea in Klonoa 2. In 2009 when Klonoa had complete become obscured due to his low popularity, he was brought back in the Wii remake of Door to Phantomile, complete with a terrible english voice. (Thankfully you can switch his language.)

Klonoa Gameplay
Klonoa is essentially a puzzle 2.5D platformer with the Wind Ring as the central mechanic of gameplay. As in 2.5D, meaning Klonoa follows a 2D platformer on a 3D track and world. Easier to explain when compared to the platforming in Kirby 64. Using the Wind Ring, he has the ability capture and carry his enemies with the Wind Bullet to either throw them as weapons, or to double jump and reach higher places. In addition, each different enemy provides different interactions, like a Rocket, a Propellor, and a Bomb.

Why should Klonoa be in Smash?
Not just because I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but to think how well Klonoa actually fits in with the rest of the cast of Smash bros. He has the same exact cartoony appeal as Mario, Sonic, and Pikachu, not much would seem out of place would it? Cartoony, is something Smash bros is really meant to be, and he fits the description. What about his moves? All he can do grab and throw enemies! Well that's actually not all he can do, taken, Klonoa Heroes, an Action RPG that revealed that Klonoa's Wind Ring, can conjure a Wind Sword, and a better detail of his fighting abilities. These abilities range from using arm cannons, a hammer, the beam gnome, and a boomerang Also know that Namco Bandai took part in developing Smash bros and even got Pac-man in the rooster.

What type of fighter will he be? Considerably a light fighter who relies on his most powerful asset of course, his grabs. He would involve trying to get closer to the opponent without getting punished, with good aerials and slightly weaker attacks on land. Meaning his smash attacks won't be strong enough for a guarantee KO, but his aerials and grabs will definitely be. He should have at least two light jumps followed by a third 'Air Stall' for horizontal movement (He wiggles his ears in the air in his games to stay airborne). He has good but average mobility on land, and a short duck. Most of his moves are disjointed. In addition his roll is slower.

Moveset

Regular Moves ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jab, Wind Gatling:
Klonoa uses the Wind Ring to shoot tiny wind bullets ending with a finisher. Weak, but has a decently long range, and is good as a keep away attack. Comparable to Megaman's and Palutena's jab.

Forward Tilt, Wind Slash: Using the Wind Sword to execute a series of three quick slashes, like Meta Knights. Long ranged and weak.

Up Tilt, Vertical Thrust: He thrusts his ring upwards, glowing, forcing opponents next to him into the air. Shorter range vertically but more horizontally. Stronger than ftilt but it's more slower.

Down Tilt, Sweep Kick: He sweeps his leg across the floor, chances that it can tripping the opponent.

Dash Attack, Beam Gnome: He creates a beam to use as a shield and tackle opponents. Fairly strong and KOs at high percents, but has a long start up to creates the shield. Can block projectiles and multiple attacks.

Smashes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forward Smash, Wind Bullet: Fires at the opponent mid-range with a wind bullet. Has a decently long range and quick start up, but it's not powerful and requires a higher percent for it to KO.

Up Smash, Wind Beam: He fires a vertical beam upwards. Has long range, but only points upwards. Same knockback as Fsmash.

Down Smash, Downward Wind Slash: Slashes downwards at both sides of himself. Comparable to Meta Knight's Dsmash. Low chances of KO.

Aerials ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Foward Air, Aerial Wind Slash: A long slash in the air with his Wind Sword. Has long range.

Neutral Air, Board Stunt: He rides his hover board, using at as a shield, and has a lingering hitbox. He can also land with it.

Up Air, Ring Glow: Similar fashion to Utilt, except it lasts longer, and is more powerful. It has multiple hitboxes, and it KOs at high percents.

Back Air, Hammer: Very powerful KO attack, Klonoa strikes backwards with his hammer, causing great damage. It's very quick, but it has a very long cool down period.

Down Air, Ring Spike: A Meteor Smash, he points the ring downwards on the opponent to jump on them and spikes them at the same time. Like his double jump where he uses enemies to get the extra jump. It's hard to land though, it has a small hitbox and has startup lag.

Grabs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Klonoa has very powerful grabs, but it has ending lag and a small hitbox. He mainly uses the ring for grabs, and uses wind as the pummel.

Forward Grab: He throws the opponent outwards, can cause good damage, with less knockback.

Up Grab: He launches the opponent upwards like a cannon, giving the most damage out of all grab, can KO.

Down Grab: Slams the opponent on the floor. Has less knockback, allowing for follow ups.

Back Grab: Has the most knockback and KO's at an early percent. He aims backwards and fires the opponent like a cannon in the same fashion as his Up grab.

Specials ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regular Special, Boomerang: Klonoa holds onto his boomerang as long as the button is held. When released he throws the boomerang, and it travels back. The longer it's held the further it'll fly. It has multiple hitboxes, and can be angled.

Forward Special, Arm Cannon: He charges up his cannon to fire a spiked ball. The longer he charges it the further and more powerful it'll be. If he uses and releases it in the air he'll be blown in the opposite direction from the recoil. This allows for horizontal recovery and get-away options. Opponents can also be hit in this recoil, but it won't be as powerful and puts you at risk. The spiked ball itself can KO.

Up Special, Erbil Thunder Jump: From Klonoa 2, using an enemy called an Erbil, he can perform an electrical charge up into the air, destroying anything above him, and making it a KO move. It can only point upwards with slight angling, and it has a long startup with hitboxes during it. He will be vulnerable afterwards.

Down Special, Beam Gnome Reflect: He creates a shield with his ring to reflect projectiles.

Final Smash
One day Klonoa was thinking about a new super attack to become stronger. Then he promptly trips on an electric wire and gets electrocuted. This experience had inspired him to create the 'Klonoa Thunder Hurricane'. Appearing in Klonoa Heroes as a special attack, he spins around like a hurricane and creates bolts of lighting around himself, striking anyone who is nearby. The hurricane would be mobile but slow, making it like a slower version of Pikachu's Volt Tackle.

Well this has been a long post, and I poured in all of what I thought could be in his moveset (Mostly from Wiki). Even though Klonoa is nostalgic to me, rarely anyone knows him because all of his games were overshadowed, and since the Klonoa wii remake wasn't too success the chances are low for a Klonoa 2 remake (My favorite in the franchise). So what do you guys think, should Klonoa be in smash or not? Or if you want you can add some addition possibilities to his moveset or as a different kind of fighter.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Long time no see, Klonoa peeps, I hope you're still happy to have me. I'm a little lacking in subject knowledge so I don't feel up to making a moveset but do know that I would like to see our dreamland friend included.

Dish0ut

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BASI#977
NNID
Yoderman2
3DS FC
0817-4278-1423
Switch FC
SW-6074-4583-8904
You can have my signature or... Uh... Whatever it is you do.

I really want Klonoa in. I love the games, I love his design, I love Door to Phantomile's music... I want him in Smash super badly.

Oh, and @LaserLockOn ; I'm pretty sure it's (Kloh-no-ah) and not (Klow-no-wa)

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hmm DLC seems pretty unlikely but ya never know with Namco at the helm.
Hoping for at least a trophy in Smash 5.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
This is a great thread you have here. I wish mine was this big *cough cough*

Wow, Klonoa seems likely with all those Nintendo appearances. I'm gonna go ahead and say Smash 5 might introduce two more namco reps but we will see.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Maybe we can pick up a few more supporters with the new Smash DLC ballot.

It's a damn shame Klonoa didn't pick up the traction Rayman and Shovel knight did when Artsy Omni did their art.

EDIT ---

Last edited:

JungleSloth

Smash Rookie
I think Klonoa's chances have improved a little if the Ryu rumor turns out to be true.

If Capcom gets a second rep, then it's possible Namco will receive one too, since they're helping to make Smash, I think they'll get a second one for sure, if it becomes a thing.

I think Klonoa would be next in line for a Namco rep!

D

Deleted member

I think Klonoa's chances have improved a little if the Ryu rumor turns out to be true.

If Capcom gets a second rep, then it's possible Namco will receive one too, since they're helping to make Smash, I think they'll get a second one for sure, if it becomes a thing.

I think Klonoa would be next in line for a Namco rep!
I agree if capcom can get 2 Sega and namco should to. Klonoa is high on character rate if this is true.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Whelp it looks like they data mined 2 more roster slots that remain a mystery.

Hopefully its an additional sega and namco rep.

With the Namco rep being Klonoa. ;)

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
After Mewtwo + 7 there are 5 additional “Mario”s listed. This means, that there are 5 additional unused characters in the fighter table in the latest update. Right now, we know for sure that Lucas is coming. After Lucas, it is heavily suggested that Roy (Fire Emblem) and Ryu (Street Fighter) will be incoming as DLC. Therefore, we have two additional slots for DLC. Whether the two slots will be used for the ballot results, or for pre-ballot result DLC is unknown. Stay tuned for additional information.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/all-about-ryu-and-roys-files/

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I fully support Klonoa for Smash. Add me to the supporters list.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Found some art by a user on deviantart by the name of guntzorgantz who put together some nice alt costumes found within the wii version of the game.

Klonoa 1: Door to Phantomile
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
Klonoa (Wii)
Summer wear

These would be neat alts for Klonoa.

Kamen Rider Kiva

Smash Rookie
Wow, just joined specifically for this post. I'm quite happy so see so many other fans of Klonoa, especially since I'm one of the few people in my small town who actually knows of him.

Seriously though, I'm in full support of this, and I really hope Klonoa pulls through in the DLC Ballot! ^-^

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Wow, just joined specifically for this post. I'm quite happy so see so many other fans of Klonoa, especially since I'm one of the few people in my small town who actually knows of him.

Seriously though, I'm in full support of this, and I really hope Klonoa pulls through in the DLC Ballot! ^-^
Welcome to the Smashboards community, i'm honored to have your first post!
If you're apart of any other Klonoa communities be sure to have them check out the thread, and have them support Klonoa.

My bigger hope right now is that Klonoa will be included outside of the ballot. Since theres a chance Capcom is getting a second character maybe Namco will too!

EDIT-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Move Set's I found around the web...

Move Set By Evilwaluigi on Deviantart

Move Set By NobunagaSmash94 on Deviantart

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I'm tossed between having a Tales character or Klonoa (leaning towards Klonoa, but seeing him in the same screen with Kirby would make me cry of happiness from the cuteness overload! ;_; It'd be cool if they re-released the Wii game on the eshop.

Add me to the list of supporters please! =D

EDIT: OMG, just imagine seeing Klonoa, Kirby, and Yoshi in the same screen! I'd die from the over cuteness! ;_;

Last edited:

Dish0ut

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BASI#977
NNID
Yoderman2
3DS FC
0817-4278-1423
Switch FC
SW-6074-4583-8904
Found some art by a user on deviantart by the name of guntzorgantz who put together some nice alt costumes found within the wii version of the game.

Klonoa 1: Door to Phantomile
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
Klonoa (Wii)
Summer wear

These would be neat alts for Klonoa.
That little Moo hat is killing me it's so adorable.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
i would love to be put onto the list of supporters, i've only played the Wii game of his and i adored it to bits.

what little exposure i've had with Klonoa, he's still a character i love. and actually would love to see in a smash game. he actually looks the part too, i could definately see him running around with Mario, Pac-man, and the other 3rd parties. his moveset looks to have some good options too.

i'll be making a banner for him to use in my sig later, but for now... sleep.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
i would love to be put onto the list of supporters, i've only played the Wii game of his and i adored it to bits.

what little exposure i've had with Klonoa, he's still a character i love. and actually would love to see in a smash game. he actually looks the part too, i could definately see him running around with Mario, Pac-man, and the other 3rd parties. his moveset looks to have some good options too.

i'll be making a banner for him to use in my sig later, but for now... sleep.
Awesome! Love the growing support, looking forward to seeing your banner.

Kamen Rider Kiva

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah, seeing as how this thread is full of Klonoa fans, I feel as though you guys'd appreciate the project I'm working on for my Art III class:

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
So has anyone thought of tweeting Namco a request to put Klonoa in Smash 4? I know Klonoa has a tumblr page (right here, thought I'm not 100% it's an official page) so maybe someone could tagged them too there? I don't have a Twitter or Tumblr account though.

Last edited:

Kamen Rider Kiva

Smash Rookie
So has anyone thought of tweeting Namco a request to put Klonoa in Smash 4? I know Klonoa has a tumblr page (right here, thought I'm not 100% it's an official page) so maybe someone could tagged them too there? I don't have a Twitter or Tumblr account though.
I just tweeted them about it:

I also got some of the Klonoa SSB painting done, I'll post pics when my phone decides to stop being a piece of crap. XD

EDIT: My phone stopped being an annoying piece of crap. :p
Here's the progress on the painting so far:

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The way I see it, even one extra Namco character would make it Nintendo VS Namco. We don't need that in a Nintendo all star game.
Well if Ryu is real then Capcom is getting two characters. Since Namco helped make the game its possible Namco could get a second character much like Capcom might.

Furthermore its not the best practice to enter a support thread and post unsupportive posts. Its basically starting a flame war. However I suppose you are entitled to your opinion...

Typically i just dont post in threads for characters I don't support.... But to each their own.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Honestly, i can't choose between Lloyd or Klonoa if Namco somehow got a second character. But i wouldn't mind either. Although Klonoa is my favorite of the two.

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, i can't choose between Lloyd or Klonoa if Namco somehow got a second character. But i wouldn't mind either. Although Klonoa is my favorite of the two.
I'm in the same boat as you are, but I decided to go with Klonoa because the Tales series is still going on while Klonoa needs recognition.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I just tweeted them about it:

I also got some of the Klonoa SSB painting done, I'll post pics when my phone decides to stop being a piece of crap. XD

EDIT: My phone stopped being an annoying piece of crap. :p
Here's the progress on the painting so far:
Thanks Kamen for tweeting them, much appreciated.
Your painting looks great too, let us know your grade on it, if it gets graded.

I think Lloyd is pretty cool, I do find him appealing, but idk.
The glaring fact that he only has one game on a Nintendo console, he's yet another swordsmen (duel wielding would be sweet tho). Just doesn't jive with me, idk Isaac's already another heavily requested swordsmen too... I feel Klonoa's moveset it playful and fun plus his games are more recent and with some love on the eshop too. He feels slightly more likely in my own eyes/ opinion.

I'm in the same boat as you are, but I decided to go with Klonoa because the Tales series is still going on while Klonoa needs recognition.
Agreed, Klonoa could become a good IP for Namco, perhaps Smash will give it the traction it needs to become a more cemented IP.

Kamen Rider Kiva

Smash Rookie
Thanks Kamen for tweeting them, much appreciated.
Your painting looks great too, let us know your grade on it, if it gets graded.
Please, call me either Kiva or Anthony. :p Anyway, I'll be sure to do that , especially since this is my final grade for this class.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
E3 is June 16th - 18th.
Lucas DLC is in June.
Maybe he'll debut at E3, along with an update much like how when Mewtwo was released, the game received an update.
Maybe they'll have some hidden coding for Klonoa like they did for Roy & Ryu.

One can only dream lol.

Top Bottom