• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Footstool Setups

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
So I have been hiding this tech for a while and I wasn't sure if any of you guys knew this. I figured since the new patch is out that I would wait until then to showcase it.

Lets keep the footstool discussion in here and the possible setups or follow ups.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
omg thats actually really sick, definitely learning this.

Kirby offstage has footstool to d-air and stone, but thats all I know. Footstool into meteor stone offstage could land some kills.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Very nice! The Up Air setup might be a bit tricky due to DI and everything, but setting this up with Up Tilt strings is really neat and, dare I say it, practical. The Bowling Ball was hilarious.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yesterday I was practicing with someone, and I had him pick Sheik. I tried uptilt->footstool (that seemed to be guaranteed?) but Dair would never hit in time, because he could buffer a roll. Nair sometimes hit in time, I THINK, but you need to make sure you do the shorthop version of the foostool, and fastfall immediately. It really doesn't look reliable :[

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
The only move that will hit on time, sadly, is stone. Maybe if anyone wants to try grounding stone it might work to extend the combo. Though 0% - 55% is a pretty heavy number so if anyone can come up a bigger number, and have it be guaranteed, deserves a cookie.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
He will buffer a roll? I thought you can't tech footstooling?

Anyways, this is really ground breaking for Kirby. Nice find! That means we can do jab-lock into whatever we want. For example...
Footstool -> jab->jab-> Dair-> throw.
Footstool -> jab->jab->Hammer (maybe Hammer Bash will benefits this the most).
Footstool -> jab ->jab-> Stone ( Holy crap! Someone test this with grounded Stone?!)

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I was gonna wait until I could record again, but Grounding Stone is now brought up, so...

Kirby can get around 60%+ on every character in game with Grounding Stone. It forces tech chases when hit after a footstool, allowing for some insane combos with Copy Abilities. 0 to deaths on Marth, 85/86% combos on Pac Man and Robin, 60% combos on Samus/Mewtwo, etc. which is amazing. Add in Wave Cutter to get 15/10% on any character, allowing you to get around 60% on everyone.

I'll go more into it later, but default Stone is irrelevant now. There's absolutely no use for it outside Quick Stone, which is already better with Meteor Stone.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm gonna need to see these in practice, Mr. Guy. When you said something about how the best sets definitely include Wave Cutter over Upper Cutter, I was like "no."
Also talk to me on skype more jeez

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
@ Unknownkid Unknownkid You can't tech a footstool at low heights, but you can buffer inputs for your getup. Like you can buffer a getup attack, normal getup, or a roll. You can't do a tech roll or tech the footstool unless it's from a certain height, which this setup does not allow. Kirby just doesn't fall fast enough after the footstool to follow up with any moves without using stone. I could be wrong though! Maybe there is something and I'm just blind to it.

As a strong advocate against allowing customs, I made this video with the default move set in mind. I'm also not the type to lab things out, I just theorize and put it into play in matches. I'm glad you're taking it to new heights @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima . There really is more to this and I just provided the setup. (pls credit me for coming up with this? ><)

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I see. I guess I should have test this myself before jumping the gun. I thought our footstool capabilities are similar to everyone else. I forgot to take Kirby's FF speed into account.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
I see. I guess I should have test this myself before jumping the gun. I thought our footstool capabilities are similar to everyone else. I forgot to take Kirby's FF speed into account.
No no, it's totally fine. That kind of thinking and outwardly posting, whether you are right or not, helps keep discussion going. It can also help spring new ideas!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Lets keep the footstool discussion in here and the possible setups or follow ups.
I remember Kirby's U-air -> Footstool setup in Brawl. The usual follow-up was a N-air (fast fall) in order to get a jab-lock into Hammer (ground). I can't solidly say that Kirby's N-air forces a lock in SSB4 anymore (I forgot if I ever tested that), but if it still does I'd suggest using that instead of Footstool -> Stone (which also worked in Brawl, as well as a weird Footstool -> Air Hammer on some characters).

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
I remember Kirby's U-air -> Footstool setup in Brawl. The usual follow-up was a N-air (fast fall) in order to get a jab-lock into Hammer (ground). I can't solidly say that Kirby's N-air forces a lock in SSB4 anymore (I forgot if I ever tested that), but if it still does I'd suggest using that instead of Footstool -> Stone (which also worked in Brawl, as well as a weird Footstool -> Air Hammer on some characters).
Footstools in this game make you jump too high and you fastfall too slow to land a nair after :( I think nair does force a lock if you hit the sourspot for it. I'm not entirely sure though.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I think nair does force a lock if you hit the sourspot for it. I'm not entirely sure though.
Unfortunately after testing this in Training Mode the original Brawl jab-lock combo (U-air -> Foot Stool -> N-air -> Jab/D-tilt -> F-smash/Hammer) no longer works. :(

The reason for this is because N-air no longer locks the opponent. When you hit a prone target the N-air will cause them to be launched instead of locked now. The results of this were the same with both a strong N-air as well as a weak N-air.

Oh well.

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
These might not be "true" combos, with DI and all that, but I have accidentally done dair-> footstool (for a mega spike) several times. I can't recall if I was fastfalling or my positioning on an opponent (and all of my replays are lost).
Also, when somebody breaks out of Kirby's inhale offstage, in the frenzy, I'm pretty sure you can footstool them immediately. I just spam jump when Kirbyciding, and hope for the best. So I'm not sure if these are legit things, but it's something to look into.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
These might not be "true" combos, with DI and all that, but I have accidentally done dair-> footstool (for a mega spike) several times. I can't recall if I was fastfalling or my positioning on an opponent (and all of my replays are lost).
Also, when somebody breaks out of Kirby's inhale offstage, in the frenzy, I'm pretty sure you can footstool them immediately. I just spam jump when Kirbyciding, and hope for the best. So I'm not sure if these are legit things, but it's something to look into.
Dair to footstool is guaranteed offstage if you are positioned correctly! But the thing about Kirbyciding isn't sadly. If they mash jump also they actually get to footstool you first before you can :(

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Dair to footstool is guaranteed offstage if you are positioned correctly! But the thing about Kirbyciding isn't sadly. If they mash jump also they actually get to footstool you first before you can :(
Is that the case on every character? IIRC some fast-falling characters pop out below Kirby giving him the footstool, but I'm not completely sure about it.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Is that the case on every character? IIRC some fast-falling characters pop out below Kirby giving him the footstool, but I'm not completely sure about it.
The problem is that whoever pop out can act faster than Kirby can. So if they are aware of the gimmick they will be able to footstool you before you can do anything :(

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
Huh... That sucks... Wasn't there a buff to Kirby neutral B release in the last patch? You would think a Kirbycide would be in Kirby's advantage.
Anyway- yeah, I'll post anything if I come across any interesting Kirby stuff in the future.

TrueDimentioKirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
DimentionKirby
3DS FC
1907-8793-9647
I immediately assume Footstool-> Grounding Stone will result into a Buried but as I tested it myself - it does not. Man, that sucks!
Actually, it does not bury until like 200 percents, at least when the opponent is on the ground like that.

Otherwise, this thread is awesome, I gotta test these out!

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Could this option select perhaps be a little useful for our puffball and his footstool combos?
Actually it would be somewhat useful! That means you could option select an aerial if you miss the footstool, but if you land the footstool you're guaranteed to get the stone follow up from it. That actually makes trying to do this setup a lot less riskier...

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Because @Phan7om always posts videos but never posts in smashboards I'm gonna link something that he just posted recently.

Apparently, on some characters at certain percents you can end up getting a jablock off a utilt > footstool.

Last edited:

rambon99

Smash Rookie
So do we know if this is guaranteed? I was labbing against Mario a bit and he could DI out of it... Or I could be doing full jump footstools. (I don't know if that's a thing). Also, what moves are able to jab lock? I know down tilt can (But it can also trip instead of locking, which is really annoying)

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
So do we know if this is guaranteed? I was labbing against Mario a bit and he could DI out of it... Or I could be doing full jump footstools. (I don't know if that's a thing). Also, what moves are able to jab lock? I know down tilt can (But it can also trip instead of locking, which is really annoying)
What exactly are you asking is guaranteed? The jablock video that Phan7om made shows all the characters, along with their percents, that are able to be jab locked. Any characters not in that video are not able to be jab locked.

The moves that I know can jablock are: Sourspot bair, dtilt, and ftilt. I don't think any other of Kirby's default moves can jablock outside of those 3.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
No I meant as in just footstool to stone. And thanks
Ah. Footstool to stone should be guaranteed, are you inputting stone right after you do a footstool? I believe if they are too high off the ground they might be able to fade away from it. It really depends on how high up they are and the character's aerial mobility.

Top Bottom