• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kickstarter for Super Smash Bros. Melee Online HD

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I'm a big Smash fan and an even bigger Melee fan! I know it's shameless to plug something on my first post, but I think you will all enjoy it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/769871509/344236497?token=733df202

This is a preview for a Kickstarter project that I'm about to launch for a reissue of Melee, in HD with online support! Before it launches though, I would love feedback from the people that are just as passionate about the game as I am.

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
Good question. I recently got Melee on the Dolphin emulator and think it is very well done! I will not pretend to know everything about it, but here's the few problems I have with it:

1. To run Melee on the emulator without any trouble (especially FoD), you need to have a decent computer and better than decent graphics card. For any big computer gamer, this is not an issue, but for someone without the proper machine, it would cost at least a couple hundred if they only needed a graphics card upgrade.

2. It takes a certain amount of computer know-how to set-up and use Dolphin: Tweaking the settings, downloading the right files, figuring out how to start a match, etc. Again, if you are proficient with computers, that may not seem like a big deal, but I believe that many console gamers either do not have that proficiency or do not want to take the time to deal with it. They just want to pop it in and play, which brings me to my last problem.

3. Even assuming the Netplay runs flawlessly everytime (I'm sure it doesn't), there's still the time of setting it up, finding a person to play (I don't believe you can just search for a match, right?), and having a smaller crowd of people to play with.

So, to finally answer your question: For those with the equipment and knowhow, who are happy with Dolphin's performance, Melee Online HD will still offer access to a broader audience of players which will enrich the community, as well as a streamlined interface: For finding matches, viewing rankings, hosting private or public tournaments, creating crews and having crew battles, and the list goes on!

If there's any additional way to create value for you or any other questions or concerns, let me know. That's why I shared my Kickstarter here first!

Narpas_sword

Good question. I recently got Melee on the Dolphin emulator and think it is very well done! I will not pretend to know everything about it, but here's the few problems I have with it:

1. To run Melee on the emulator without any trouble (especially FoD), you need to have a decent computer and better than decent graphics card. For any big computer gamer, this is not an issue, but for someone without the proper machine, it would cost at least a couple hundred if they only needed a graphics card upgrade.

2. It takes a certain amount of computer know-how to set-up and use Dolphin: Tweaking the settings, downloading the right files, figuring out how to start a match, etc. Again, if you are proficient with computers, that may not seem like a big deal, but I believe that many console gamers either do not have that proficiency or do not want to take the time to deal with it. They just want to pop it in and play, which brings me to my last problem.

3. Even assuming the Netplay runs flawlessly everytime (I'm sure it doesn't), there's still the time of setting it up, finding a person to play (I don't believe you can just search for a match, right?), and having a smaller crowd of people to play with.

So, to finally answer your question: For those with the equipment and knowhow, who are happy with Dolphin's performance, Melee Online HD will still offer access to a broader audience of players which will enrich the community, as well as a streamlined interface: For finding matches, viewing rankings, hosting private or public tournaments, creating crews and having crew battles, and the list goes on!

If there's any additional way to create value for you or any other questions or concerns, let me know. That's why I shared my Kickstarter here first!

Ok, to follow up.

1: other than you don't actually need a high end gpu (dolphin is more cpu based), you can run melee in 1080 on a fairly modern laptop. my question is, what are you intending to release this on?

3: netplay is quite easy to find matches on, yes, you dont have random matchmaking, but there is http://www.smashladder.com/.

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
Ok, to follow up.

1: other than you don't actually need a high end gpu (dolphin is more cpu based), you can run melee in 1080 on a fairly modern laptop. my question is, what are you intending to release this on?

3: netplay is quite easy to find matches on, yes, you dont have random matchmaking, but there is http://www.smashladder.com/.
1. I believe you, but my laptop is only a year old and has the recommended i5 processor, plus 8 gigs of RAM. It can run most levels without a problem except for FoD, so I figured it was too graphically intensive since I just have the Intel Integrated Graphics. Maybe it's just that level, but many gamers I know don't have a better computer than mine, so they're going to run into at least that problem.

Either way, I should of specified in the kickstarter (and I will in the Final draft), but I would hope for this to be released on the Wii U. Of course, this is contingent on Nintendo agreeing to it, but if the hype (and the cash) are there, I think they'll be more than happy too.

3. Maybe it is, but after you find the match, don't you still have to set it up, report the results and have it manually updated? Melee Online HD would seamlessly integrate these features and more, like creating and managing tournament brackets online, as well as reaching a broader audience, which I think increases the competition and the fun!

Don't get me wrong, I like Dolphin, and maybe to some computer gamers it's all they need, but I still think a console reissue has a lot to offer the majority.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I'm a big Smash fan and an even bigger Melee fan! I know it's shameless to plug something on my first post, but I think you will all enjoy it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/769871509/344236497?token=733df202

This is a preview for a Kickstarter project that I'm about to launch for a reissue of Melee, in HD with online support! Before it launches though, I would love feedback from the people that are just as passionate about the game as I am.

How can you legally do this is my biggest concern

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
How can you legally do this is my biggest concern
Another great question! As I briefly addressed in the Kickstarter's Risks and Challenges, if Nintendo doesn't give it the green light, it can't happen. I recently emailed their corporate office with the same link I gave you guys; I hope to hear back from them in the next couple of days.

Maybe I should of asked them before I even made the Kickstarter, but I wanted to show them something real and thought out. I wanted them to see the ideas and numbers, sparking their curiosity about the actual demand, and having them agree to reissue it if it meets the goal. If the Kickstarter gets enough money, it will essentially remove any financial risk of developing it, as well as reach out to the large Melee community that has been, in the past, neglected.

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
Sadly, it won't work on PAL, or any other format for that matter. I just heard back from Nintendo: It's a no-go...

They said that no matter how much money was raised, it would not impact their development decisions. Also, Kickstarter won't even let me start the campaign if Nintendo isn't on-board.

I'm more than a little disappointed. Even if they wanted to name some obscene amount of money to be raised, at least they could of given me a fighting chance. This isn't in the Melee spirit at all!

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Atleast you tried, and that is amazing, although just releasing a usb based gc controller and a 1080p melee would suffice

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Reading through this thread, I was waiting to see the post which stated Nintendo had denied it. I would have happily supported it, but unfortunately, Nintendo just isn't the type of company to allow people to make money by re-releasing one of their IP's. It just won't happen.

Again, I applaud your efforts, and at least maybe it will get them thinking...

They probably denied it because they did not want to run the risk of you suing them for part of the profit if they do make it. And I'm sure they don't want it to compete with Smash Wii U and 3DS. Plus Sakurai just put in all that damn work. Dude's life is stressful. It would probably cost less for them to just release the original on the eShop which they're probably already in the process of. It was a nice try though, you really approached the right way. Props to you.

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the support guys!

I'm still upset we didn't get a fighting chance to show our support for this vision; I really think the amount of interest would of surprised Nintendo and opened their minds to the idea. I guess at the end of the day, I should just be flattered that the Sr. Director of IP and Enforcement for Nintendo wrote me at all.

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
The only other option is to create your own HD game with melee physics

Top Bottom