• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm not all that surprised that Hayter is actually going to return.

You're not fooling me Kojima.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I wonder if brawl will be put up on the ehsop, they don't have to get the rights to sonic & snake again in order to do so, right?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder if brawl will be put up on the ehsop, they don't have to get the rights to sonic & snake again in order to do so, right?
You know I didn't think about that but that could be useless if Lucas, Snake, ice climbers, and Wolf are added back into Smash 3DS and Wii U.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
You know I didn't think about that but that could be useless if Lucas, Snake, ice climbers, and Wolf are added back into Smash 3DS and Wii U.
What about Squirtle, Ivysaur, PKMN Trainer, transformations, SSE, physics, old stage builder, stages, everything that made Brawl unique from 4?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So I found this article... Glad to see we're not the only ones remaining optimistic about Snake.
What about Squirtle, Ivysaur, PKMN Trainer, transformations, SSE, physics, old stage builder, stages, everything that made Brawl unique from 4?
Who's to say Squirtle and Ivysaur won't comeback as well? That would make Pokemon Trainer redundant and unnecessary. Let's face it the only good thing listed in those last few things is SSE. Physics are better in the new one, Stage builders improved, allot of the best stages came back (except Frigate Orphian), and while Brawl is super unique selling the entirety of Brawl through Wii U could take away from sales of the new one so it would be bad from a business standpoint.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So I found this article... Glad to see we're not the only ones remaining optimistic about Snake.

Who's to say Squirtle and Ivysaur won't comeback as well? That would make Pokemon Trainer redundant and unnecessary. Let's face it the only good thing listed in those last few things is SSE. Physics are better in the new one, Stage builders improved, allot of the best stages came back (except Frigate Orphian), and while Brawl is super unique selling the entirety of Brawl through Wii U could take away from sales of the new one so it would be bad from a business standpoint.
I loved how brawl had the best content in the series. SSE, challenges, music, and art. Favorite game in the series.

So off topic, but have any of you seen American Sniper. It's amazing.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I loved how brawl had the best content in the series. SSE, challenges, music, and art. Favorite game in the series.

So off topic, but have any of you seen American Sniper. It's amazing.
I've been wanting to see it I've heard nothing but good things about it. And yeah not having Metal Gear music in the new game is an absolute crime. :crying:

Quillion

Smash Hero
What do you think: Should Snake DLC precede a Metal Gear HD on the U, or should Metal Gear HD on the U precede Snake DLC?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
What do you think: Should Snake DLC precede a Metal Gear HD on the U, or should Metal Gear HD on the U precede Snake DLC?
It would be better to announce both at the same time frame, that way they could do a promotion similar to the Mewtwo DLC. Where you buy the game and get snake, then 3 months later snake gets released standalone. That way they'd get get more day 1 sales.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It would be better to announce both at the same time frame, that way they could do a promotion similar to the Mewtwo DLC. Where you buy the game and get snake, then 3 months later snake gets released standalone. That way they'd get get more day 1 sales.
First we somehow have to convince Konami that putting Metal Gear HD on the U will be a good decision.

And include Twin Snakes for a U-exclusive deal.

Unfortuately, Kojima is using the "different controller" as a lame excuse to not put anything on the U.

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
Unfortuately, Kojima is using the "different controller" as a lame excuse to not put anything on the U.
He didn't say that he wouldn't release anything for Wii U; he said that, if he wanted to make a game for Wii U, it would be unique. He also said the Fox Engine could work on Wii U. He isn't using the controller as an excuse at all.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
First we somehow have to convince Konami that putting Metal Gear HD on the U will be a good decision.

And include Twin Snakes for a U-exclusive deal.

"Wii U is kind of a special case. The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game.”
Sounds like he's saying he'd rather make an exclusive for it than port a multiplatform game. That's actually better. He's 100% right that the wii u requires unique software, rather than ports. Wouldn't you want a unique mgs made with the gamepad in mind tailored for wii u hardware?(Meaning it would have better graphics and framerate than a phantom pain port.) Nintendo themselves want more exclusives rather than multiplats, as evidence that most of their upcoming 3rd party titles on wii u and 3ds are exclusive, so an exclusive would be better than a multiplat. Besides, phantom pain is going to be the best on pc anyway.
He's not saying he won't develop for wii u because of the controller, but rather he'd do a unique game for it.
Nintendo should approach Konami and work out a deal for a MGS game on Wii u. There was one on the leaked miiverse screen, maybe they already have?

Last edited:

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
Even now I cry myself to sleep remembering the man known as Solid Snake. He was too good for this world, too pure. He was a true hero with a heart of cardboard. First Kojima took him from me. And then Sakurai took him from me. How many more times must I endure it? I don't know the answer. But I do know that I will never give up. I will fight on, for Snake's sake. Because even though Hideo loves Big Boss more than him now, and even though Sakurai cut him to put in Dark Pit, I know, deep down, that for both Snake and for his future in video games...The Best Is Yet To Come.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Snake was pretty unnecessary, no one asked for him besides Kojima and he only got in because Sakurai bias.

Am I doing it right?

No character is unnecessary, complaining about Dark Pit gets us nowhere. He was originally intended as nothing more than an alt. If you're going to say he replaced anyone, then you may as well be saying that he replaced Alph or something.

I enjoy Dark Pit about as much as I enjoy Pit, and Pit is one of my favorite characters to play. I do prefer Pit more-so, however.

Neither of them compare to how much I like Snake though, but they have nothing to do with him.

Besides Pit stealing the Codec thing, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sounds like he's saying he'd rather make an exclusive for it than port a multiplatform game. That's actually better. He's 100% right that the wii u requires unique software, rather than ports. Wouldn't you want a unique mgs made with the gamepad in mind tailored for wii u hardware?(Meaning it would have better graphics and framerate than a phantom pain port.) Nintendo themselves want more exclusives rather than multiplats, as evidence that most of their upcoming 3rd party titles on wii u and 3ds are exclusive, so an exclusive would be better than a multiplat. Besides, phantom pain is going to be the best on pc anyway.
He's not saying he won't develop for wii u because of the controller, but rather he'd do a unique game for it.
Nintendo should approach Konami and work out a deal for a MGS game on Wii u. There was one on the leaked miiverse screen, maybe they already have?
The U does not require unique software. Nintendo even released a statement saying that developers don't have to use the GamePad if they don't want to (and now I can't even find the source).

The GamePad had the entire "classic" layout built into it just in case developers didn't want to use it, so it's the developers' fault if they're using it as a lame excuse.

ON THE TOPIC OF CODECS: If they're going to bring back Snake, they should just recycle the codecs from Brawl for all veterans, but they'll need to edit the codecs for Jigglypuff and Sonic, as both their codecs mention "here in Brawl". They just need to edit it with a slight re-recording so that they say "here in Smash" instead. And then record new codecs for the newcomers (plus Doc and 'Zard).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He was unnecessary

That was part of his charm, and why his inclusion was so popular.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
He was unnecessary

Snake being so out of place is part of the reason I like him.

It just bothers me when people pick on a character and say that they don't belong... Which is particularly ironic coming from Snake fans who have to deal with people saying Snake doesn't belong, or rather "doesn't fit in."

Hell, Dark Pit is hardly the worst character we've had with the likes of Pichu.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
Comparing an alt that got made into it's own fighter slot who was only really included because Sakurai made Uprising, to a famous icon of video game history who had a play-style unique from all other fighters who brought into the Smash series a whole treasure trove of stuff to use from his series, is a bit of a stretch tbh.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
The fact that snake was the "Outsider" really was what made him so great.
Really pains me when people get on his inclusion about not fitting in.
Some of the best things don't fit in the traditional sense.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
He was unnecessary

Seriously though, I think you're looking for the word: Abhorrent.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The fact that snake was the "Outsider" really was what made him so great.
Really pains me when people get on his inclusion about not fitting in.
Some of the best things don't fit in the traditional sense.
I'm sure this is what most people mean by "not fitting in":

Snake's appearance in Brawl should have opened the floodgates for his stuff to come onto Nintendo consoles. Sure, not the Wii because of its lack of power, but the Wii U would have been just fine since most developers are still working on the PS3 and 360 in addition to the PS4 and ONE.

And Konami hasn't taken advantage of that massive new playerbase at all. Here's a video that goes into more detail:

Besides. The Fire Emblem characters are almost if not just as "unfitting" as Snake is. Doesn't seem to make sense for rather ordinary sword-wielding anime characters to be in with the cartoony cast.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm sure this is what most people mean by "not fitting in":

Snake's appearance in Brawl should have opened the floodgates for his stuff to come onto Nintendo consoles. Sure, not the Wii because of its lack of power, but the Wii U would have been just fine since most developers are still working on the PS3 and 360 in addition to the PS4 and ONE.

And Konami hasn't taken advantage of that massive new playerbase at all. Here's a video that goes into more detail:

Besides. The Fire Emblem characters are almost if not just as "unfitting" as Snake is. Doesn't seem to make sense for rather ordinary sword-wielding anime characters to be in with the cartoony cast.
For the record, man, that website is Uber biased against anything non-Nintendo. If there's something that didn't come to a Nintendo console they immediately degrade it. It's really disrespectful so anything that comes from that website I couldn't give a sh*t about.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Seriously though, I think you're looking for the word: Abhorrent.
No, I definitely mean popular. Works both ways.

Personally, his inclusion was so out of left field it got me interested in Metal Gear Solid, and I know plenty others.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No, I definitely mean popular. Works both ways.

Personally, his inclusion was so out of left field it got me interested in Metal Gear Solid, and I know plenty others.
Wait, were you talking about Snake or Dark Pit? I agree if you're talking about Snake, Dark Pit, not so much.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wait, were you talking about Snake or Dark Pit? I agree if you're talking about Snake, Dark Pit, not so much.
Oh I was talking about Snake, sorry for not being specific lol.

That said I don't really think Dark Pit was unnecessary at all. Feels obvious to me he's here to fill rosters gap at the last minute, which I'd consider necessary more than anything, but what do I know.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Oh I was talking about Snake, sorry for not being specific lol.

That said I don't really think Dark Pit was unnecessary at all. Feels obvious to me he's here to fill rosters gap at the last minute, which I'd consider necessary more than anything, but what do I know.
I'm upset that he was actually made into a clone. No, I don't care if he was originally an alt that was made into a clone; he should have stayed an alt. There's no reason to keep him anything but (unless it's to bring back Pit's Brawl specials like Doctor and Mario, which I could tolerate).

Top Bottom