• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Woaaaaah, hey now! We can't let Otacons love for Japanese Animes go too far with Palutena.

as..

If Otacon ended up with Palatuna, she would probably/inevitably bite the dust.

Then again, this would leave Snake Codecs open to returning...hm.....

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
I suddenly had flashbacks to Destroy All Humans.

I can't remember much of the game, but I think it had stealth elements where you had to hide as a human or something.

...When you weren't just destroying everything.

I need to find a let's play of it.
Destroy All Humans is a gem. That's one series that needs to make a comeback this generation, given the poor reviews of Big Willy Unleashed and Path of the Furon (which is a shame, since it was evident PotF was very ambitious from its predecessors when it came to the scope of destruction and the factions within the universe).

- - -

In an ideal world, a Metal Gear anthology would be released, containing the original Metal Gears, the entire Solid series with its re-mastered variations (including Twin Snakes, the HD collection, an updated MGS3 HD with the Peace Walker crouch walk feature), Rising with its DLC, and Ground Zeroes -- all of which would be released in preparation for Phantom Pain. The best part is that it would be released on all platforms: PC, PS4/3, Wii U, and Xbox One/360. Spreading the Metal Gear franchise to a wider audience would be quite lovely.

Now that I'm back in reality, I read an interesting theory as to why Snake isn't in Smash 4 which pretty much eloquently stated what I originally couldn't muster up with words. Basically, it comes down to the direction of Smash 4; compared to Brawl, which featured a more mature tone (a Nintendo fighting game with a grandiose theme sung in Latin, dark and brooding moments within the Subspace Emissary, and graphics that edged closer to 'realism' rather than the more animated style we see now), Smash 4 pops with a universal vibrancy. Even by comparing the tone of the themes, Brawl's is bold and eventful while 4's just bounces with an upbeat texture. Sakurai most likely wanted this iteration to reach the widest audience as possible, so he did anything he could to bring the game's rating to something applicable for all ages (the removal of the Tharja trophy perhaps proved to be an indicator of this). Though Snake didn't necessarily bring Brawl to a 'T' rating, he did have a chokehold and such, which may have led Sakurai to cut him for the base game (Protective parents reluctant buying their kids a 'teen' rated game) and hold him off for the release unrated DLC.

For all we know, Sakurai probably wanted to release Mewtwo as DLC to showcase the bloodbath he's capable of. :surprised:

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Well fellas looks like weve got a nintendo direct incoming on wednesday. I know we should never bet our hopes high on any of these, but it doesnt hurt to remain optimistic even if our odds arent the best. But you just never know..

----
Found a random codec vs guidence video too for kicks

(eh.. best to ignore the busty mod lol)

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Every Direct, no matter what, has me secretly hope for a Nintendo exclusive MGS game reveal that quickly follows with a Snake dlc reveal.
...not saying it'll happen though. Maybe not this one at least :snake:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
A Nintendo Direct!

So a little late, but I have realized that I've been posting on this thread for a whole year now. Since Jan. 3, this thread has grown by a 126 pages. I'm so proud to apart of such a supportive and strong community.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Well fellas looks like weve got a nintendo direct incoming on wednesday. I know we should never bet our hopes high on any of these, but it doesnt hurt to remain optimistic even if our odds arent the best. But you just never know..

----
Found a random codec vs guidence video too for kicks

(eh.. best to ignore the busty mod lol)
I honestly think at best we'll be given Mewtwo's gameplay trailer.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
On the off chance that we learn anything else about Smash in the new direct, maybe a Mewtwo trailer...

I hope on an even more off chance that we'll hear that Codec alert at the end of it..

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Then again, absolutely nobody saw Mewtwo coming at the end of the 54 Fact Extravaganza.

Who knows.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Then again, absolutely nobody saw Mewtwo coming at the end of the 54 Fact Extravaganza.

Who knows.
"Melee is the last game."
*Makes Brawl*

"Brawl is the last game."
*Makes two more games*

"Zero Suit Samus will not be returning."
"LOL JUST KIDDING!"

"There will be no DLC."
*Mewtwo shows up*

"There is no other DLC."

Yeah trusting Sakurai is like trusting Kojima.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
"Melee is the last game."
*Makes Brawl*

"Brawl is the last game."
*Makes two more games*

"Zero Suit Samus will not be returning."
"LOL JUST KIDDING!"

"There will be no DLC."
*Mewtwo shows up*

"There is no other DLC."

Yeah trusting Sakurai is like trusting Kojima.
I never trusted Sakurai. :seuss:

I'm just saying he's as unpredictable as an Assist Trophy.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I would love it if snake was revealed, not expecting it, but really want it.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'd also like that MGS game from the miiverse leak to be revealed, hopefully it's a brand new exclusive built for the wii u, would love to see what Kojima would do with the gamepad.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Oh boy, people think Snake has the lowest chances of any third party characters.

Yes, clearly Bayonetta is going to get into Smash before a character who has already gotten into Smash first.

I have nothing against Bayonetta, but I can't believe that people actually think that she's an icon of gaming.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Oh boy, people think Snake has the lowest chances of any third party characters.

Yes, clearly Bayonetta is going to get into Smash before a character who has already gotten into Smash first.

I have nothing against Bayonetta, but I can't believe that people actually think that she's an icon of gaming.
Well she is an icon for -censored-. :p

Hell, I'd say Dante or Vergil have a bigger chance of getting in than Bayonetta. Why? Well, Bayonetta's moveset revolves around guns primarily and you know how Nintendo is on guns. Oh, sure, make her use her other weapons. She has like a sword, something with halos, gauntlets, and a whip. Her innuendos and suggestiveness if toned down kind of destroys her personality which you could argue for ZSS too.

Dante uses guns for mostly stylistic purposes and has more weapons that haven't been in SSB yet like nunchaku, dual swords - arguable since (Dark) Pit can split his bow into a pair of swords -, a backpack the allows him to throw swords, and an electric guitar that summons bats, his Styles wouldn't translate well since it's more complex than the buffs/debuffs that Shulk has through Monado Arts. The way Dante uses his Rebellion is comparable to Marth, Pit, Ike, and even Link. He does everything they do, but for different purposes. Helm Breaker as a Dair would essentially be Ike's second part of Aether while Aerial Rave would be like Link's Fair. Prop and Shredder are basically Palutena's Ftilt, but it's faster and combos before launching. So, Dante would sort of be easy to take stuff from other characters and slap it on him, so work would be more through editing animations and property changes, making sure it fits his model, and testing. Oh, and he would end up with the infamous Counter through his Royal Guard style which could be changed to have a much tighter timing in return for being stronger and scaled off of his damage meaning if he counters at say, 100%, you're likely going to die.

Vergil is the type of swordsman we don't have, but could have through Lyndis. Seriously, make her a playable character since I don't know anyone else aside from Takamaru who uses a katana or fights like that are main characters in Fire Emblem or isn't a third-party like Raiden, Gray Fox, or Jetstream Sam. Anyway, I was thinking of writing up a move set for Vergil for that Make a Move thread. I thought of a Yamato-only move set that essentially makes Vergil a positioning and trickster style of character. Up and Down Special are his Up and Down Tricks which teleports him up or down (or backwards if you're on the ground). It's not that broken since it has ending lag in DMC3 and DmC and it only covers so much distance. His Aerial Rave is amazing, the first hit is almost instant while the second hit isn't. I'm not aware of any character who has a frame 1 or frame 2 aerial, but that would be pretty interesting. Oh, but that's broken, well, it's not since it has like no knockback meaning if you hit it too late in the air and Vergil lands, then it's a free punish since the knockback is so little that the opponent can just counter.

I don't know, but I think Dante and Vergil could bring really interesting fighting styles like Snake, Duck Hunt, and Bowser Jr. Same with Bayonetta too, but their chances are slim. At least Hideo Kojima is friends with Sakurai and he could request Snake be in again, but these characters don't have much other than Mega Man is Capcom or Bayonetta 1 & 2 is on the Wii U. Mega Man has history, retro history, like Mario and Pac-Man.

If Snake's not coming back, then Bayonetta probably won't make it in while Takamaru, the Ice Climbers, Lucas, Wolf, Impa, Vaati, and other Nintendo characters, especially relevant and popular ones will probably get in or return sooner.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman

I can see why people might doubt Snake but I think it's hardly reaching to assume that if we are getting 3rd party character DLC then we are probably getting Snake. Not only is he one of the most popular video game characters, they can save a hell of a lot of time importing his assets from Brawl rather than building a whole new character from the ground-up. It seems to me that it would make plenty of financial sense.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Bayonetta is a Sega character

If she were to be added, it would mean either Sonic's universe getting cut (HA!) or Sega ended up with an extra helping of representation (possible, but unlikely)

If, even after all this time, someone says Bayonetta has a larger-than-unlikely chance for the next Smash Bros. let alone DLC for this one, they either don't remember that Bayo is Sega, don't care how much of an icon she'd have to be before getting into Smash Bros., or really <REALLY> hate that hedgehog! =P

Last edited:

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Not much longer is left.

Who knows, for all I know Snake will be announced in a few hours and here I am eating French Toast Crunch.

Hoping for the best right now. It'll be grand waking up to the news of Snake being confirmed. *slowly reaches for straws*

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well since the C-Stick works with games that used the circle pad pro, I definitely want to pick up MGS3D.

I wonder if the improved power will help the game run any better.

Selenite

Smash Cadet
The latest news for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will appear at Taipei Game Show 2015 on January 31, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM (Taiwan time). Source
Well since the C-Stick works with games that used the circle pad pro, I definitely want to pick up MGS3D.

I wonder if the improved power will help the game run any better.
I assume it will have shorter load times like Super Smash Bros for 3DS.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Nothing on the Snake/Metal Gear/Konami side, sadly. It was a great Direct anyway.
but I'm still sad that we haven't got a single news on Mewtwo, and that Tecmo Koei have chosen Tingle and ********** Young Link over Skull Kid and the Happy Mask Salesman.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Nothing smash related expect for new 3ds stuff, as expected.
Back to twiddling our thumbs and wait for a direct in spring or something.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
You know, with his surviving son(Akio Ohtsuka) playing Solid Snake, this news immediately becomes more heartbreaking when you realize it's almost the exact same scenario.

Big Boss is survived by Solid Snake.
Chikao is survived by Akio.

Go for your tissue boxes.
Wow, yeah. I didn't know about that relationship.

BB's advice to SS was to "live." I'm sure Chikao would want the same for his son!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Damn. I can't say I'm familiar with his role since I never played MGS4 in Japanese, but this is unfortunate news nonetheless.

RIP

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I've been absent from Smash info for sometime due to real life duties and working with Smash Bros. Crusade. Has there been any articles on why Sakurai cut Snake? I'm anxious to know.
Hey Smash King.

As far as I can tell, Sakurai's explanation was simply that he completely forgot about Snake during the roster creation process.
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakurai-didnt-even-consider-snake-for-the-new-super-smash-bros
One can also assume he wasn't considered to avoid increasing the age rating from the very beginning, but I doubt that was a huge factor during that stage of development.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
Hey Smash King.

As far as I can tell, Sakurai's explanation was simply that he completely forgot about Snake during the roster creation process.
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakurai-didnt-even-consider-snake-for-the-new-super-smash-bros
One can also assume he wasn't considered to avoid increasing the age rating from the very beginning, but I doubt that was a huge factor during that stage of development.

I highly doubt Sakurai 'forgot' about Snake. How could one forget about the very first third party character ever added to Smash. None the less a big name like Snake? With all the hard work and materials given to him in Brawl and the fact Sakurai turned back to Brawl for materials, its impossible to miss.

I feel that Sakurai only cut Snake cause he wanted to go for the whole 'Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, & Pac Man dream match' theme and adding Snake would only expand the number of existing third parties.

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt Sakurai 'forgot' about Snake. How could one forget about the very first third party character ever added to Smash. None the less a big name like Snake? With all the hard work and materials given to him in Brawl and the fact Sakurai turned back to Brawl for materials, its impossible to miss.

I feel that Sakurai only cut Snake cause he wanted to go for the whole 'Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, & Pac Man dream match' theme and adding Snake would only expand the number of existing third parties.
With how big the roster is, I don't think four third party characters would be too much.

Selenite

Smash Cadet
Hey Smash King.

Fox Weekly is just part of the clickbait reporters as this blog states where the source citation in the Gamnesia article taken me there. It's all fake and unreliable so don't believe in it.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hey Smash King.

That wasn't sakurai who said that. It was some "source" from a website called foxweekyl.
If you click on the source link on the gamnesia, it takes you to a page not found error.
Here's where they got that "info":
http://www.foxweekly.com/2014/09/15/buzz/solid-snake-will-not-be-returning-to-super-smash-bros.html
I remember when the article was still up, and everyone was talking about. A few days after they posted the article, they took it down for some reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom