• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kentucky Men's Basketball Team Can't Get Enough Smash 64

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

The NCAA Kentucky Wildcats are tearing up the College basketball scene right now. They are currently undefeated with 36 victories and are getting ready to 4-stock the competition at the NCAA men's basketball tournament. The stakes are high and the pressure is on. But the team has a secret weapon to help them relax and focus on basketball: Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo 64.

Alex Poythress, one of the team members, brings along his Nintendo 64 on road trips so he and the rest of the team can unwind and play some endless rounds of Super Smash Bros all night long.

They get pretty into it too, but in the end, it's all in good fun. Despite the competitive community here, it's a nice reminder of where so many of us came from, playing Smash 64 with our friends until the sun went down.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and loves seeing stories like this. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Dang. you beat me to the punch, Tewn. :054:

Edit: "4 stock the competition" Smash 64 is 5 stocks, yo

Last edited:

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
This honestly brought a smile to my face. Not just because it's the number one college basketball team playing a game we all know and love. But it really brings me back to before I became involved with the competitive Smash community, where my group of friends and I would come to my house after a long Saturday of rough housing outside, and tormenting the grouchy next door neighbor, plug in my n64 or GameCube, and just play smash 64 and Melee all night long; laughing, celebrating, and getting salty till we all just straight up crashed.

Really brings back memories, and certainly provides some insight on the fun of the game, and how it can bring friends together.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
I love this for the same reason as @ O1DsLeNdYwHiTe O1DsLeNdYwHiTe - it's just them having an awesome time around the game and not sweating the details. They're having unadulterated fun. Something that feels like we forget about a little too often in the competitive community.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I find that a lot of otherwise non-smash folks have a lot of nostalgia for 64. Which is great cause it gives me an excuse to talk about it. :D

Last edited:

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Yes more glory to smash64!!! I still love the original so so muchmuch

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
That was really cool to see. I'll definitely be rooting for them here on out if I ever happen to be watching a basketball game.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
You people make it sound like competitors aren't also casuals. It's two sides of the same coin. Reminding us that people play for fun and that there aren't only people who play competitively is completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
Nostalgic! I played Smash 64 more than any other fighting game to date.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Playing for fun is what the Smash Bros. games is all about. Good thing they're having fun with a classic like Smash 64.

indio

Smash Rookie
lmao this is dope. my friends and i are all brawl/ pm players but im really trying to get my hands on the n64 and smash it looks like alot of fun

Cuban

Smash Rookie
Damn, they made me remember the good times I had with smash 64. Me, my bro, my cousins, and smash 64. That's all we needed to have a blast.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
When you realize Smash Space Jam is becoming a real thing.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I host a get together every year called Smash Madness which is a pun on March Madness. However, reading this article takes the meaning to a whole new level!

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
just because fox has a really good up smash and he looked up an Isai combo video deosn't mean theres hax people say that about Marth and falco in melee and people talk trash about jigglypuff because of rest its just skill and how good the person is plus glitches in smash 64 are hard and take along time to pull off but they don't even have a gameshark so... yeah

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Wait....why is this on the front page? Shouldn't news articles be solely dedicated to competitive Smash and Smash 4? What sort of BS is this? I demand my money back that I didn't pay for these news articles.

Top Bottom