• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Karate Joe Tunes In From Rhythm Heaven - This beat is nonstop!

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I'm thinking a Speedster/Juggler hybrid if they went with the Karate moveset.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Would any characters give Karate Joe the most trouble? How about characters that play like :4tlink:?
Probably anyone fast enough to get up close so that they can out-range him since his projectiles would be mostly useless at that distance.

Also aren't you posting this in the other Rhythm Heaven threads?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Karate Joe's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
I also say Speedy Juggler.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Karate Joe's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
I also say Speedy Juggler. Sorry! Double Post! My fault! Just delete this please.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Karate Joe, my most wanted Rhythm Heaven character. Certainly a speedy-bruiser. He has a pretty fast reaction time in fever (and my experience with DS is limited to sucking at Glee Club) and, well, he knows Karate.

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
I support. Karate Joe would likely be my first pick for a Rhythm Heaven character. Him being in all three RH games definitely gives him an edge over other RH characters I'd say.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Add me to the list of supporters, please!

I'm hoping for a rhythm-based karate playstyle. Basically, when you enter an input for two attacks, the time that was taken in-between will be set as the "quarter note". From there, any attack that is hit in rhythm (with half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, or sixteenth notes in-between attacks, relative to the starting quarter note) will have a small boost in damage. Let's say that every move that you make in rhythm (even when not connecting your attacks with your opponent) gives you a 5% increase in damage, and that that continues until your moves are doing 1.5 times the damage that they would normally do (So up to ten increases). Along with that, Karate Joe would have practically nonexistant ending lag on his attacks that are hit in rhythm in order to make it possible to actually do combos.

In order to balance that, Karate Joe's attack would start out far less powerful than most fighters' and would have his boosts nullified any time that he's hit or any time that he waits (rests) more than two beats. Also, there would be a limit on just how fast you can imput attacks to avoid any breaking of the game.

I'll write this all up in a more comprehensive manner later. Basically, he'd be a very high-risk, high-reward juggler character with a very high skill level. Which, of course, would be under a karate aesthetic, providing a lot of flexibility with the moves he could have.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm thinking a Speedster/Juggler hybrid if they went with the Karate moveset.
Would any characters give Karate Joe the most trouble? How about characters that play like :4tlink:?
Karate Joe, my most wanted Rhythm Heaven character. Certainly a speedy-bruiser. He has a pretty fast reaction time in fever (and my experience with DS is limited to sucking at Glee Club) and, well, he knows Karate.
Would it be easy for him to take down Resistors like :4bowser:?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
To be honest, I had a lot more fun with playing the Karate Man game than the Glee Club game, maybe it's because I played the Glee Club song too many times on Youtube.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
The reveal music for him is obvious, but how would you actually go about revealing him?
I have no idea how since I doubt any one could predict a reveal, but if there really is a joint Ridley/Karate Joe reveal in the August direct due to the two anniversaries I'd love to see how that would pan out.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I support this. Also, I think that he represents very well the Rhythm Heaven series, because he doesn't simply use karate based moves, he does it following the rhythm. The gimmick of the character should be that the moves are stronger if you do them following a rhythm... some special moves should be just like in Rhythm Heaven; for example, the 3hit combo: Karate Joe throws 3 items in air and they fall with a rhythm. You have to punch them with A to launch them... if you fail, they fall on land. The items are random and if you fail a bomb, you would get damaged by yourself. This is an example.
I would also like if the "combo" hit of the Wii version of his minigame is a combo of a-neutral; now each character has a finisher after a combo; maybe Karate Joe has the fastest combo of all the roster but it's also short and the finisher punch has lag at the end so he is very vulnerable doing it, if misses.
This character is just awesome and I think there aren't other character in the franchise who are more suited for being Smash fighters!

Also, Karate Joe has a cat that he can use for the taunts. Look the Remix 9 on Wii.
He has also a berserk mode in the GBA game, that could perfectly be his final smash.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I support this. Also, I think that he represents very well the Rhythm Heaven series, because he doesn't simply use karate based moves, he does it following the rhythm. The gimmick of the character should be that the moves are stronger if you do them following a rhythm... some special moves should be just like in Rhythm Heaven; for example, the 3hit combo: Karate Joe throws 3 items in air and they fall with a rhythm. You have to punch them with A to launch them... if you fail, they fall on land. The items are random and if you fail a bomb, you would get damaged by yourself. This is an example.
I would also like if the "combo" hit of the Wii version of his minigame is a combo of a-neutral; now each character has a finisher after a combo; maybe Karate Joe has the fastest combo of all the roster but it's also short and the finisher punch has lag at the end so he is very vulnerable doing it, if misses.
This character is just awesome and I think there aren't other character in the franchise who are more suited for being Smash fighters!

Also, Karate Joe has a cat that he can use for the taunts. Look the Remix 9 on Wii.
He has also a berserk mode in the GBA game, that could perfectly be his final smash.
What do you think of my concept?
Add me to the list of supporters, please!

I'm hoping for a rhythm-based karate playstyle. Basically, when you enter an input for two attacks, the time that was taken in-between will be set as the "quarter note". From there, any attack that is hit in rhythm (with half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, or sixteenth notes in-between attacks, relative to the starting quarter note) will have a small boost in damage. Let's say that every move that you make in rhythm (even when not connecting your attacks with your opponent) gives you a 5% increase in damage, and that that continues until your moves are doing 1.5 times the damage that they would normally do (So up to ten increases). Along with that, Karate Joe would have practically nonexistant ending lag on his attacks that are hit in rhythm in order to make it possible to actually do combos.

In order to balance that, Karate Joe's attack would start out far less powerful than most fighters' and would have his boosts nullified any time that he's hit or any time that he waits (rests) more than two beats. Also, there would be a limit on just how fast you can imput attacks to avoid any breaking of the game.

I'll write this all up in a more comprehensive manner later. Basically, he'd be a very high-risk, high-reward juggler character with a very high skill level. Which, of course, would be under a karate aesthetic, providing a lot of flexibility with the moves he could have.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I would prefer Chorus Kids, but Karate Joe is my second favorite option for a Rhythm Heaven Rep.
I support.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
While you all know I love Chorus Kids, Karate Joe has my full support.

I definitely find him to be most likely behind the trio.
If we got both I would be in Heaven.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I've recently discovered that Karate Joe's Japanese name essentially translates to "karate practitioner" and it made me a little sad.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I've recently discovered that Karate Joe's Japanese name essentially translates to "karate practitioner" and it made me a little sad.
In Italian, his name is simply Karate Ka lol
Many names of the characters of Rhythm Heaven follow this pattern (the name is composed by words that describe what the character is or looks like) in the Italian version, I don't know if in the other versions also.
But I don't see this as a problem... Villager is simply a villager, but he is playable.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Rhythm Heaven's charm is in its simplicity in character designs, names, and character's backgrounds as well as the added quirkiness. The deigns are very clean and bright, and its as attractive as some modern advertisement design.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A lot of the names were added in the localization; Baxter and Forthington, for instance, are known as Quick and Slow in Japan. Not nearly as clever.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
As far as Rhythm Heaven reps go, Karate Joe is the one I'd most like to see included as representation for the series. He's at least within my top 15 most wanted newcomers, I feel given his recurring appearances in the Rhythm Heaven series he'd do the best job of representing it, and also feel he'd work best for a basic A move-set involving karate, his games within the Rhythm Heaven series, and of course utilising rhythm (though probably easier to refer to it as timing).

So hopefully if there is a playable Rhythm Heaven rep it'll be Karate Joe, and if not, I'd be all for him appearing as a 2nd playable rep for the series in the next SSB.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to drop in and ask that you add me to the supporters list.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Happy belated birthday, Rhythm Heaven. Forgot to say anything yesterday.
Yeah I got side tracked and forgot to bump some of the threads- gonna do that at least for the wrestler and monkey. Happy birthday RH! May we soon hear sweet victory in the form of a newcomer reveal trailer soon-

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Here's to Karate Joe appearing in some shape and form in Smash 4!

Craxian

Smash Rookie
Add me to the list of supporters. I've been playing Rhythm Heaven for years, and I really like your ideas for him.

Top Bottom