• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One thing to consider, there's that NeoGAF journalist who claimed his friend in localization saw "moving models of Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie/Chorus Kids."

Whether or not there's any validity to that is still open to interpretation.

--Ridley has a moving model, one that very easily could have been initially tinkered with as a character.
--Rhythm Heaven has one Smash Run enemy, just like the Ice Climbers' one polar bear. . .that, combined with their trio-character nature, is reason to think the Kids were maybe scrapped for the same reason
--Mewtwo is coming
--Dixie. . .is the only character we have no info about, for better or for worse

Since the former two are basically shot at this point, maybe others will fill their void? I mean, why stop at Mewtwo and Dixie when DLC characters are so obviously, unbelievably profitable (and when Dixie alone isn't -that- big a 'get' to boot)? There's still K. Rool, Isaac (who we've still not seen shown off as a Wii U exclusive AT), whatever new IPs didn't exist when this game's roster was chosen, plus all of the workable cut veterans from Brawl.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Glad to see that the Kremling Kutthroaths is back. Definitely looking forward to talking (and smashing) with y'all again.

Mewtwo's confirmation as DLC is potentially great news for K. Rool. It shows that popularity has not been entirely forgotten and can still influence a character's inclusion. If not this game again, it could still happen for Smash 6 even if Sakurai returns to direct. I honestly think that King K. Rool hasn't entirely tapped out his potential for fan demand just yet and we already have a really large fan base to boot. With Mewtwo and Mega Man as playable and Ridley as a boss, King K. Rool now stands as the most wanted character left. I have no idea whenever or not King K. Rool is going to be DLC but I am hopeful all things considered.

@ BKupa666 BKupa666 I'd like to point out that it's possible that we get a New 3DS & Wii U update that could contain Chorus Men & Ice Climbers. While we won't be seeing them as DLCs for the old 3DS, a update a la Super Street Fighter IV for the New 3DS & Wii U is certainly possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, welcome back, Kuttthroats!

I know I wasn't too involved in the DLC group, but Mewtwo confirmation is a godsend, haha.

D

Deleted member

Well, welcome back, Kuttthroats!

I know I wasn't too involved in the DLC group, but Mewtwo confirmation is a godsend, haha.
To be honest, I was of the opinion that if Mewtwo wasn't on the initial roster, it wouldn't ever get in another Smash game, not even as this game's DLC and I didn't expect Sakurai to care about fan demand for that. Mewtwo's confirmation as DLC shows that fan demand has not been entirely forgotten (how else would Mewtwo return?). If fan demand influence anymore inclusions for DLC, it'd be Brawl veterans and King K. Rool (although how much of an influence it'll have remains to be seen).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Let out a genuine laugh at the new title.

Anyways, I pray for K. Rool now, but with Sakurai's "We don't usually include characters without a future yadda-yadda" thing, retro characters obviously being the exception to this, I feel like it's more so up to Retro Studios to bring K. Rool back than anything else. Here's hoping.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
To be honest, I was of the opinion that if Mewtwo wasn't on the initial roster, it wouldn't ever get in another Smash game, not even as this game's DLC and I didn't expect Sakurai to care about fan demand for that. Mewtwo's confirmation as DLC shows that fan demand has not been entirely forgotten (how else would Mewtwo return?). If fan demand influence anymore inclusions for DLC, it'd be Brawl veterans and King K. Rool (although how much of an influence it'll have remains to be seen).
They probably reserved DLC to cash in on fan-demanded characters, and pushed characters which aren't as popular on the initial roster. Makes sense from a business standpoint.

D

Deleted member

They probably reserved DLC to cash in on fan-demanded characters, and pushed characters which aren't as popular on the initial roster. Makes sense from a business standpoint.
Seventeen newcomers and one returnee on the initial roster is a lot of additions; especially with the initial roster having fifty-one characters. I don't think they would complete fan demanded characters like Mewtwo, King K. Rool, and Isaac only to hold them back as DLC. It seems like with Mewtwo that they initially didn't see revamping it as worth the effort but then later on noticed the outcry for Mewtwo return and decided then to incorporate Mewtwo in a way that sells not only game copies but also hardware.

I just hope that Mewtwo is eventually added as paid DLC for those who don't take advantage of the Club Nintendo deal (I will and so should everyone else, but this is just to be as fair as possible).
Let out a genuine laugh at the new title.

Anyways, I pray for K. Rool now, but with Sakurai's "We don't usually include characters without a future yadda-yadda" thing, retro characters obviously being the exception to this, I feel like it's more so up to Retro Studios to bring K. Rool back than anything else. Here's hoping.
I think Sakurai said something along the lines of "We rarely include characters from franchises with no future", which would affect characters from Custom Robo. Donkey Kong is an active franchise and King K. Rool has been recognized as the main villain of the series (though the description was written by the same person who wrote dialogue in the Mother series) so I'm not sure if this would apply to him.

But yeah, using recency to exclude any characters is seriously lame.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I doubt they "pushed" certain characters, but Sakurai probably did focus on characters more for marketing purposes at first, saving the most popular characters as potential DLC because they'd be more likely to sell. Again, though, I doubt he strictly set certain characters that were popular aside, but popular characters are probably more likely as DLC candidates because they'd actually sell.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
"This guy is what Bowser is to Mario." Atleast Sakurai knows that King K. Rool is just as important as Bowser. And Bowser is already playable! King K. Rool most likley DLC.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I personally think that the vets will be released alongside a bigger character. Vets are easier to do than a fully new character. I'd think it'd work maybe like this:

Lucas releases in a DLC pack alongside Mewtwo, Wolf alongside K. Rool six months after Mewtwo/Lucas released. I could see it happening like that. Or potentially vets could be releases between the bigger ones, there's possibilities like that as well.

However, K. Rool's popularity is a huge boon for him. Granted, the best case scenario I see is K. Rool released alongside a semiclone Dixie Kong and Gangplank Galleon as a stage. But I'm holding out hope for just K. Rool at this point.
I honestly expect a Lucas/Isaac pack more than a Lucas/Mewtwo pack.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I would like to point out that both mascot games, and fighting games use a certain way to determine the roster, they create an overall shortlist with all possibilities, and then trim off anyone who would take a lot of time, have minimal impact, or be too similar to another character(can be negated by cloning). Then you generally have a primary list, and a secondary list, with the latter usually being those who are cut off due to time restraints, or other limitations(3DS memory for one). As much as I love our king, the likely-hood was that he didn't have enough factors to get on the primary list, however DLC is determined by popularity, and marketability of which K.Rool has both

However we seriously need to focus our efforts and put our best foot forward to make ourselves heard. The letters are a good thing, and so is the list here, but we also need to continue to work on making ourselves openly visible without being obnoxious

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh hey look I did a thing.

So it should come as no surprise that Kaptain K. Rool is best kostume I and I defy anybody to tell me otherwise my favourite kostume. Incidentally, it's also the final boss of my first and favourite Donkey Kong Country game. I know it isn't much, but I would be very grateful if you'd take it as a tribute to my support for the Kremling King Kaptain.

Batten down the hatches and serve up the rum and biscuits, me hearties - there's a storm a-comin', an' it's name be K. Rool!

Yargh~!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Long live the king

King k rool is the new ridley thread now

King k rool for dlC

In simpler terms im back on this support list again.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Before the game came out, I posted the way the roster would move allowing Yoshi to get out of Mario's section (which he is also in the Wii U version for some reason). The characters I had were Mewtwo, King K/Ridley (Ridley is now deconfirmed so it has to be King K), Ice Climbers, and Wolf. This hopefully ends up happening.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
It's time to strike back, Kuttthroats! It's our finest hour!

One of the Big Three has been deconfirmed, Another was just confirmed playable, that just leaves us as the sole remainder!

With our King being the most requested Nintendo character for Smash 4, that makes us all the stronger, so let's keep sailing and see where it takes us!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Ahh, it's good to be back, Kutthroats! It's much easier to gain support now! I assume our little welcome tradition is coming back?;)

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
With mewtwo and k rool both having trophies and with M2 being confirmed...... We are alive again

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Long live the King!

Honestly, Rool is one of the only two DLC newcomers I can see happening, the other being the Chorus Kids should they work around theirs and the Ice Climbers' issues. Here's hoping he has his Finest Hour after all.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Please add me to the supporter list. I'm a very long time lurker, and K. Rool is by far my most wanted character for DLC. Long live the King!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One thing to emphasize, moving forward, is that we're not requesting "Third Donkey Kong Rep." Third Donkey Kong Rep is also known by the aliases of "K. Rool or Dixie" or "One out of K. Rool and Dixie."

Screw that. The inclusion of one doesn't excuse the absence of the other. Both have their merits and deserve inclusion on the basis of them. We play as characters, not as "reps."

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Just so you guys know, I tweeted Kevin Bayliss, the guy who voiced our beloved King in the original DKC trilogy and in DK64 to join our Kremling Kampaign, hopefully he'll help out, I mean he did work with Grant Kirkhope(who's retweeted our Kampaign a few times I'm sure), so who else better then to ask the man behind the Kremling King?

Last edited:

Jackalmore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jackal96
Count me in as a supporter. I've lurked in this thread a few times in the past and have wanted K. Rool since Melee. Also this just happened

If Sakurai can retweet that, then he can definitely hear our voice.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
One thing to emphasize, moving forward, is that we're not requesting "Third Donkey Kong Rep." Third Donkey Kong Rep is also known by the aliases of "K. Rool or Dixie" or "One out of K. Rool and Dixie."

Screw that. The inclusion of one doesn't excuse the absence of the other. Both have their merits and deserve inclusion on the basis of them. We play as characters, not as "reps."
I agree, at this point it shouldn't be a case of "this series needs one more rep," it should be a case of what the character offers to the game and their series, and both King K. Rool and Dixie do that in spades. They both have a great amount of merits to them that make them likable additions and they should be supported because of that, not pitted against each other.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Count me in as a supporter. I've lurked in this thread a few times in the past and have wanted K. Rool since Melee. Also this just happened

If Sakurai can retweet that, then he can definitely hear our voice.
Glad you posted that, I just tweeted him politley asking him to add K. Rool for DLC by looking at our Kampaign.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
We're finally back, performing for you, if you know the words you can join in too.

Agreed. This isn't about getting a third Donkey Kong representative. After waiting nearly fifteen years, our king's time has finally come. He should have been playable in Brawl, but after Microsoft acquired RareWare, the DK series was in perpetual limbo, being passed around from developer to developer like a used condom. Now that our favorite franchise is in Retro's hands, there's no excuse anymore. After all, if Sakurai can pretend that Kirby Super Star, a title from 1996, is the only meaningful game in the Kirby franchise, the relevancy argument doesn't hold much validity. Everybody knows that DKC2 is the greatest platformer of all-time!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Please add me to the supporter list. I'm a very long time lurker, and K. Rool is by far my most wanted character for DLC. Long live the King!
Allow me to do the honors
It's good to be back

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
It's good to be back, fellow Kutthroats. It was a close call, but this ship will keep on sailing. Long live the King (and Dixie)!

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
It's good to be back, fellow Kutthroats. It was a close call, but this ship will keep on sailing. Long live the King (and Dixie)!
We thought the ship had sunk but it rose right back out of the water like Davy Jone's Flying Dutchman. Good thing Kremlings are crocodiles.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Well, well, well. Look what we have here. An open K. Rool discussion thread. Feels so good to see this. Especially after the disappointment of the initial roster with nothing new for the DK series. Let's hope that Jungle Hijinx is just the start of DK content and we can see K. Rool or even Dixie for that matter on the way.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
The ball is in Sakurai's court now. One of the big three confirmed and another deconfirmed. That leaves us with the Kremling King.

Honestly I see K.Rool as the next logical choice for DLC.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Guys, did I ever mention just how much I hate Miiverse? I tried getting more people to join our Kampaign on twitter by posting the link there and look what happened. -_-

Your post has been removed because it contained information related to an outside service (such as a user name or ID) or links to external websites that could be used to contact you directly. The sharing of personal information is prohibited by the Miiverse Code of Conduct. For information on the proper use of Miiverse, please see the Miiverse Code of Conduct. Continued violations may result in restrictions on your use of Miiverse.

Those darn administrators are so frick'n annoying, anything can get deleted by them even if you try to keep it friendly. luckily I was able to get 4 other fans attention at least so hopefully they'll join.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
One of the unholy trinity is DLC. The sheer fan demand of said characters makes them perfect fits for DLC. Natural progression dictates that K. Rool is next in line...

...and I say, about freakin' time! One of my bigger complaints around the time of the 3DS leak was that Donkey Kong and Metroid got horribly shafted. So not only was I ecstatic to see Jungle Hijinx as a stage (complete with a mechanic straight out of DK :D), I am really hoping to see a well-deserved third DK character. While Dixie would be kool, K. Rool would be much kooler. LONG LIVE THE KING!

Last edited:
Top Bottom