• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Justin Little

Smash Ace
The DK series can lend itself extremely well with the beat em up genre. Too bad Nintendo will miss this opportunity, and milk Mario's face all over it.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I just wish DK would get some more spinoffs in general. Stuff like Barrel Blast or King of Swing may not be fantastic, but it was kinda nice to see DK & friends/enemies holding up a non platformer on their own.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don't know if you guys are aware but they've been having these Smash Bros. Wii U photo challenges on Miiverse and apparently Sakurai himself as well as other development team members view these photos and they pick their favorites and show them off. These challenges have a theme based around it, the theme this time is "Uh-oh!". You guys can post photos with K. Rool around this theme (shouldn't be too hard, just have him do something dastardly) and Sakurai and the team could see it and possibly show it off as one of their favorites! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073037299863/14866558073541293230 Make sure to review the rules.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I don't know if you guys are aware but they've been having these Smash Bros. Wii U photo challenges on Miiverse and apparently Sakurai himself as well as other development team members view these photos and they pick their favorites and show them off. These challenges have a theme based around it, the theme this time is "Uh-oh!". You guys can post photos with K. Rool around this theme (shouldn't be too hard, just have him do something dastardly) and Sakurai and the team could see it and possibly show it off as one of their favorites! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073037299863/14866558073541293230 Make sure to review the rules.
Now THAT I think I can do. Thanks for the update. :)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No discussion needed, it has to happen.
I'm not being totally sarcastic here but come on man really? Donkey Kong Warriors? Naaaaahhh.
I can't really see DK Warriors happen, but I can see it happening before Mario Warriors, which I can't see it happening at all.

I mean, I wouldn't mind it. I just figured A DK Warriors type of game wouldn't sit well with the fans considering DK: Jungle Beat. I guess it'd be fine if it had all the Kongs and Kremlings, though, huh?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
"Preorder now, and you get to have the ****ty Smash 64 DK costume!"

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You know, I was thinking just now.. Wheren't some characters movesets also created, or at least watched over by their restrictive companies? Sakurai commented before that The Pokemon Company basically had a lot of saying how their characters should fight. I think Intelligent Systems also has some saying about their characters. Nintendo EAD probably helps with Mario and Zelda characters. So instead of asking Sakurai for King K.Rool why shouldn't we ask for Retro Studios to make K.Rool in Smash? Take Lord Frederick as a base if you must. I think they could make that happen.
What if this actually is a big factor? Sakurai may have not added Diddy in Brawl, and not added a DK rep at all here, because he was not really sure who to go to in regard to asking if a character matches with the ideal vision of what he should be.
Perhaps, because at the time, Retro had not yet utilized Dixie or K Rool, Sakurai didn't feel asking them would be a proper authority on the matter. Could this be a legitimate reason we did not see them, that he had no reference for a rubric to okay the character he created?

For that matter, is it possible that ... whoever owns Ridley, is actually the one that had a problem with him?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
For that matter, is it possible that ... whoever owns Ridley, is actually the one that had a problem with him?
Sakamoto's left the Metroid series behind him, so even if that was a factor, it shouldn't be in future.

Still an interesting theory. I could definitely get behind the idea that Sakurai was unsure about K. Rool because he wasn't sure what incarnation to base it off of, and since K. Rool hasn't done much in a while, he could have been unsure about it and hesitant to try something he felt wasn't the "correct" portrayal of the character.

Sakurai may have incredibly skewed perspectives on what constitutes the "correct" portrayal of characters, but he does at least put time and effort into making them unique and memorable. Captain Falcon would probably be forgotten as a niche has-been if not for Sakurai, and he helped make Marth an iconic Nintendo hero in his own right.

Of course, for every Cap and Marth, there's a Wario or Donkey Kong. I wouldn't say they're poor representations necessarily, but it does feel like Sakurai just went with the first thing that came to mind when designing those characters. In that sense, I'd rather wait for K. Rool and have a fleshed-out and authentic depiction, rather than a half-assed jury rigged model just to please the fans. Time and effort really does make a huge difference in that regard, I believe.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As an addendum, anyone who enters this contest with a K. Rool pic, post it in this thread so I can publish it on the Twitter account.

I've not been as active on there over the past few days since my phone charger was left on the East Coast, but it should be arriving by mail today, so fear not.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Well, the inevitable DKxMetroid is bound to happen sooner or later. Maybe the two fanbases can live in peace and harmony with one another.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Well, the inevitable DKxMetroid is bound to happen sooner or later. Maybe the two fanbases can live in peace and harmony with one another.
how would a DK X Metroid work. would dk go to space or would samus got to dk island, would it be a donkey kong platformer but explorative like metroid. i would love to see the space pirates and kremlings team up though.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Well, Samus's airship is on one of the islands, and they both do have one thing in common: pirates. I guess it would be 2D with free roaming elements, or perhaps a first person adventure title? Maybe Samus is on DK's back? LOL

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
that seems like good news, but i doubt and don't really want it to be a new DKC yet
There's plenty of options other than a new DKC. DKC: Tropical Freeze expansion (least likely), DK64 remake (probably on 3DS), Diddy Kong Racing U, another DK spinoff. There's plenty of things that they could do for DK that need not be related to a new DKC platformer.

I don't think this will have anything DK related, but its possible. I'm still betting on SOME form of DK spinoff coming later this year.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I'm still hoping that Retro is making a 2D Metroid game.

This is probably the most hopeful that I've seen this place been in a while, I'm glad it's back to it's normal happy self again.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Well, Samus's airship is on one of the islands, and they both do have one thing in common: pirates. I guess it would be 2D with free roaming elements, or perhaps a first person adventure title? Maybe Samus is on DK's back? LOL
maybe dk is on samuses back her power suit is probably strong enough to carry hm

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm still hoping that Retro is making a 2D Metroid game.

This is probably the most hopeful that I've seen this place been in a while, I'm glad it's back to it's normal happy self again.
I don't think Retro is working on DK or Metroid. I do think that Monster Games might be working on something DK (with Xenoblade Chronicles 3D being their side project), but Retro I think is probably working on something else.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
*Silently hopes for Retro to revive F-Zero*

Ehh, I trust them regardless. Their track record thus far suggests that they know exactly what they're doing and how to do it.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
what i really hope it is is a new ip, retro don't have a proper mascot yet and it would be cool to have one. the only things you can kind of classify as mascots are dark samus, tiki tong or frederik

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
what i really hope it is is a new ip, retro don't have a proper mascot yet and it would be cool to have one. the only things you can kind of classify as mascots are dark samus, tiki tong or frederik
Well, the thing is, I think Retro's gig is all in their name. They're not about creating IP's, they're all about reviving old ones.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
*Silently hopes for Retro to revive F-Zero*

Ehh, I trust them regardless. Their track record thus far suggests that they know exactly what they're doing and how to do it.
*Even more silently hopes for Retro to revive StarTropics*

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
...I want DK Warriors more than I want Pokemon Warriors.
And legitimately, I've wanted an open world pokemon fighting game since I was 8.

This is a big statement for me, everybody.
Appreciate the gravitas.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
...I want DK Warriors more than I want Pokemon Warriors.
And legitimately, I've wanted an open world pokemon fighting game since I was 8.

This is a big statement for me, everybody.
Appreciate the gravitas.
I still think DK Warriors, Mario Warriors, Pokemon Warriors, etc., are unlikely. Of those, DK Warriors is probably the most likely, since DK would fit a bit better into the Warriors style of gameplay.

Personally, I think the most likely new Nintendo Warriors game at this point... is Hyrule Warriors 2. :p But perhaps I could be mistaken and Nintendo will allow them to do Mario Warriors.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Man, that Pokken info today.
It was a dream come true.

FREE RANGE FIGHTING POKEMON!!

Now to dream bigger

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
This song seems fitting for Sakurai but with K. Rool threatening to drop Dark Pit instead if he doesn't add him in ssb4 as playable dlc.

Top Bottom