• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Anyway, to get back on the subject of K. Rool related things, do you guys like the Kremlings better as military soldiers or pirates? I'm about even with both of them.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Anyway, to get back on the subject of K. Rool related things, do you guys like the Kremlings better as military soldiers or pirates? I'm about even with both of them.
Military Soldiers. It gives them a different personality than that of the stereotypical "EVIL" Pirates.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The link's not there. Plus, Wonder Pink was already a trophy in the game, as were all seven of the main Wonderful Ones.

EDIT: Thanks for the link!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Retro Studios twitter confirmed created specifically to follow the KremlingKampaigner.
Lol, not likely. If anything, they're planning to announce things in the near future. In fact, they followed a TON of Twitter accounts. Following Kremling Kampaigner at least means that Michael Kelbaugh following the Kampaign wasn't a one-off situation.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Lol, not likely. If anything, they're planning to announce things in the near future. In fact, they followed a TON of Twitter accounts. Following Kremling Kampaigner at least means that Michael Kelbaugh following the Kampaign wasn't a one-off situation.
'Twas a joke. :colorful:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
if you don't mind me asking, why do you like every single post on this thread, it doesn't bother me i am just curious
As the old saying goes I guess, be a lover not a hater. xD

So what would you guys do to make the best new dk game? For me I'd do this.

1. Keep David Wise as the music composer for the game
2. Have Grant Kirkhope voice DK
3. Have Kevin Bayliss voice King K. Rool and Diddy
4. Have Michael Kelbaugh direct the game
5. Bring back the kremlings as main enemies
6. Bring back other old foes such as zingers, neckys, gnawtys, and slippas
7. Have some of the snomads be minor enemies on certain levels with Fredrik maybe being one of K. Rool's top henchmen
8. More animal buddies besides Rambi such as Enguarde, Winky, etc.
9. Keep the graphics like they are already but add a bit of a darker tone to them like the old Rare days
10. Have the world play out as both a 3-D and 2-D platformer similiar to super mario 3-d world.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
11. Make the Returns tag team an option, but allow for classic Rare tag teams to. Or make it so that teaming up with DK results in a Returns-like tag team, but having Diddy or Dixie as lead Kong would result in a classic DKC tag team.

Seriously, that would make me at least as happy as the Kremlings returning.

I just wanna play as leading Diddy again. :4diddy::urg:

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092

7. Have some of the snomads be minor enemies on certain levels with Fredrik maybe being one of K. Rool's top henchmen
9. Keep the graphics like they are already but add a bit of a darker tone to them like the old Rare days
10. Have the world play out as both a 3-D and 2-D platformer similiar to super mario 3-d world.
i don't know about number 10, i would rather 2 seperate games or you get weird hybrid gameplay that doesn't excel at anything like mario 3d land and world

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93

:link:
Haven't posted here in quite some time, though I've been up-to-date with information. . . Loving the progress being made so far, in terms of awareness.

Anyways, I feel as if your list is pretty sound, although I would disagree with number 10 specifically. For a final DKC Wii / U trilogy game, I feel It necessary to remain a pure side-scrolling experience (and truth be told, is what I would want). Now, if they ever want to return to a 3D adventure Donkey Kong game, or create a SM3D World styled game (though I don't believe that I would prefer this any) two games from now, then I'd be more open minded about that. Truth be told, I just think Donkey Kong excels with its DKC styled approach. . . I feel as if they are the best platformers in that category (Super Mario World is high up there for me, too).

@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong : I, nor do I believe many others would be opposed to seeing the tag-team option make a return, and I agree with your sentiment that it should maybe be optional (i.e. have both incorporated, perhaps). As Donkey Kong is in fact my favorite Kong overall, the Retro approach never bothered me too much, but I certainly can understand why others such as yourself would want to have the opportunity to alternate at will. . . The only thing is that Retro would probably have to systematically change things in the game design for that due to individualisms in the characters, level-design and what-have-you, and I'm not sure if that's the approach they will take (especially since what they have already does in fact work, and it's less trouble to adopt from previous assets). Then again, I'm not a professional game designer. . . I'm just speaking theory and probability here.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, I'd just be happy for K. Rool and the tag-team system to return. :3

Playable Dixie and Cranky already filled me with sunshine and rainbows. <3

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Tag Team, Kremlings, fun and engaging story, David Wise returns, Grant Kirkhope voices DK, Diddy's voice stays, Animal Buddies, and 3D platformer = best game ever made.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Haven't posted here in quite some time, though I've been up-to-date with information. . . Loving the progress being made so far, in terms of awareness.

Anyways, I feel as if your list is pretty sound, although I would disagree with number 10 specifically. For a final DKC Wii / U trilogy game, I feel It necessary to remain a pure side-scrolling experience (and truth be told, is what I would want). Now, if they ever want to return to a 3D adventure Donkey Kong game, or create a SM3D World styled game (though I don't believe that I would prefer this any) two games from now, then I'd be more open minded about that. Truth be told, I just think Donkey Kong excels with its DKC styled approach. . . I feel as if they are the best platformers in that category (Super Mario World is high up there for me, too).

@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong : I, nor do I believe many others would be opposed to seeing the tag-team option make a return, and I agree with your sentiment that it should maybe be optional (i.e. have both incorporated, perhaps). As Donkey Kong is in fact my favorite Kong overall, the Retro approach never bothered me too much, but I certainly can understand why others such as yourself would want to have the opportunity to alternate at will. . . The only thing is that Retro would probably have to systematically change things in the game design for that due to individualisms in the characters, level-design and what-have-you, and I'm not sure if that's the approach they will take (especially since what they have already does in fact work, and it's less trouble to adopt from previous assets). Then again, I'm not a professional game designer. . . I'm just speaking theory and probability here.
I agree that the third dkcr game should keep the side scrolling style, I was just talking about the series in general. Maybe I should've said it "if you could make your own best dk game".

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The perfect DKC game, to me, would basically carry over everything done right in Tropical Freeze (David Wise, additional playable Kongs, insane level design, diverse natural environments, perfect difficulty level) while integrating the last two major outstanding fan demands (K. Rool/Kremlings as main villains and More Animal Buddies). I'm really excited about the next game because I honestly think it has a good chance at delivering exactly that.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
if you don't mind me asking, why do you like every single post on this thread, it doesn't bother me i am just curious
I guess it's just kinda what I do. However, I have noticed that it helps me keep up with what posts I have and have not read, so that's another plus.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
if retro do keep the quality of the games going up like they did with tropical freeze then i think we are in for one of the best trilogies in modern gaming
Retro Studios IGN Review Score Ensemble:

Metroid Prime - 9.8
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 9.5
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 9.5
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 9.5
Donkey Kong Country Returns - 9.0
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 9.0

I think it's safe to say their quality of games isn't diminishing anytime soon.

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Retro Studios IGN Review Score Ensemble:

Metroid Prime - 9.8
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 9.5
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 9.5
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 9.5
Donkey Kong Country Returns - 9.0
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 9.0

I think it's safe to say their quality of games isn't diminishing anytime soon.
how does prime trilogy have a lower score than prime? metroid prime trilogy is metroid prime plus two more amazing games

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Guys, I'm listening to Lockjaw's Saga from both the DKC2 and DKTF versions and just thought up a random but awesome scene, Pirate Kremlings vs Snomads on their respective ships trying to blow eachother outta the water with DK, Diddy, and Dixie caught right in the middle! lol sorry, had to get that out.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
how does prime trilogy have a lower score than prime? metroid prime trilogy is metroid prime plus two more amazing games
They said that the games, despite their upgrades, were noticably outdated. BS I know.
It's IGN, that's how
At least they're not Gamespot. Gamespot gave Tropical Freeze a 6.0... Yeeeeaaahhh......

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Gamespot also gave Sonic Generations a 6.0 for having stuff after the 2D games iirc
Gamespot's just awful in general all their reviews are unusually hateful to anything they can't handle.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Gamespot also gave Sonic Generations a 6.0 for having stuff after the 2D games iirc
Gamespot is a joke game review site, I stopped listening to it years ago, most of these games they give low ratings to aren't even THAT bad. If they would quit playing GTA and COD and check out some other variety of games with an open mind then I'm sure they would'nt be so quick to judge but in this day and age, not likey to happen.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
''They''? More like he. It seemed most people there liked it enough to give a GOTY nomination. Opinions are opinions, people, no matter how bad it is.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
''They''? More like he. It seemed most people there liked it enough to give a GOTY nomination. Opinions are opinions, people, no matter how bad it is.
Most review sites would review the reviewers review (dang) to make sure that it accurately portrays the game as found in gameplay. Apparently Gamespot lacks that ability.
They go by game magazines rule of reviewing, which is not very good for a web review site whoms opinions are much more open to the general public.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
True, I really remember only one guy complaining about TF on there but it's just a general statement when it comes to other game reviews on there, like you said though, opinions are opinions.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In a fairer world, Gamespot's 4/10 (bumped to a 5/10 after backlash) Tropical Freeze score would be as much of a meme and a laughingstock as "7.8/10 too much water" was for that Pokemon review on IGN. Too bad Donkey Kong's only memes are of the 'expand dong,' 'dankey kang' variety.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I get the sentiment. Donkey Kong himself wasn't playable much in the Rare DK games. Rare created their Kongs, they became lovable, so they got the most attention. It's only logical, and the fact alone the popularity of Diddy and Dixie came mostly from their SNES days I cannot see what Rare did wrong. They didn't get to work much with the franchise on the N64, but created solid titles with DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing. If they only where kept around, am sure that Donkey Kong would take the prime light as much as Diddy and Dixie, seeing as the first GameCube game Rare planned was named Donkey Kong Racing. Am sort of let down that Diddy and Dixie lost their character development when they needed it most. And now they are used as more power ups for Donkey in Returns is just not a good feeling for me. I really hope we are gonna get Diddy Kong spin offs seeing that he's now still popular and on people's minds.

Top Bottom