• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I mean the render isn't that great.

DK is the least useful Kong in the original triology because he's slower than Diddy, can't reach certain places. He is literally not needed at all to beat the game.

Diddy is the fastest and Dixie and Kiddy are actually needed for certain points of their games.

Not hating on DK, but I dont get the Kiddy hate when at that point he was basically just a better DK with a more polished model.
I guess it depends on which kong you felt more comfortable with controlling, I was good with DK so he did'nt bother me and like it or not, he is needed to beat the game if diddy or him get knocked out by a boss or enemy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There certainly are a lot of trolls out there who hope K. Rool is 100% a clone because "his fans all think Dixie would be a semi-clone and being petty is fun." (Kind of contradicts their message that clones are a good thing, come to think of it). Anything to get him facetime is fine by me, although of course, it'd be a shame to pass up all the fun things he could do in-game. . .whenever I play Jr. or Dog, my two favorite newcomers, I have a ton of fun toying around with their many projectiles, which is basically what I envision the K. Rool experience in Smash to be as well, just with a dash of insanity and a hint of girth (maybe more than a hint).

StubbyDK

Smash Journeyman
Can I be put on the Kutthroats's list? I've wanted this guy for years and ever since I played Returns I've been waiting just to SEE the Kremlings in a new game. I've lurked for a while and this really is one of the best threads I've ever seen, great job BKupa

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There certainly are a lot of trolls out there who hope K. Rool is 100% a clone because "his fans all think Dixie would be a semi-clone and being petty is fun." (Kind of contradicts their message that clones are a good thing, come to think of it). Anything to get him facetime is fine by me, although of course, it'd be a shame to pass up all the fun things he could do in-game. . .whenever I play Jr. or Dog, my two favorite newcomers, I have a ton of fun toying around with their many projectiles, which is basically what I envision the K. Rool experience in Smash to be as well, just with a dash of insanity and a hint of girth (maybe more than a hint).
I'm guessing that these are the same guys who argued that K. Rool lacks "muh relevance" unlike like Dixe Kong. I'm a fan of Dixe and all, but there's no need for those ruffians to put us kuttthroats down. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Can I be put on the Kutthroats's list? I've wanted this guy for years and ever since I played Returns I've been waiting just to SEE the Kremlings in a new game. I've lurked for a while and this really is one of the best threads I've ever seen, great job BKupa
Welkome aboard new Kutthroat. You chose the best ship to join.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm guessing that these are the same guys who argued that K. Rool lacks "muh relevance" unlike like Dixe Kong. I'm a fan of Dixe and all, but there's no need for those ruffians to put us kuttthroats down. :rolleyes:
Not to pretend that every K. Rool fan has been a perfect angel to the Dixie fanbase, but yeah, there was a very long period of time (arguably still today) where people, some Dixie fans, some not, put her on a pedestal as a super shoo-in and, for some reason, used that as a reason K. Rool had no chance. . .because for some reason, "Donkey Kong Rep" is singular and our series is the only one that can't support two newcomers at once.

Two things that just occurred to me:

--You can tell who isn't really a Dixie fan, or at least who's not familiar with the DK series, by who says "Tropical Freeze was too soon for Sakurai to add Dixie." Dixie appeared in as many games as K. Rool before Tropical Freeze and is certainly important enough in them to merit playability, not to mention it would take a simple phone call to Retro to check up on her status during roster development, but no. . .Dixie is essentially a Tropical Freeze original character to a ton of people, and that's a shame.

--On my home computer (which I only see on vacations), I have a lot of strange links bookmarked from years ago, one of which is this GameFAQs thread, titled "Retro's Phone Number." Last time I was home, I posted an excerpt from that to criticize Miyamoto for allegedly being the driving force being No Crocodiles *laughs*. What I didn't notice was this little tidbit that followed, from the supposed Retro developer on the line:

"There'd have to be a large enough outcry [for the Kremlings to be added into Returns], but so far we have seen enough positivity from fans of all ranges without their inclusion that it would be like there's no need to go back to them, ya know?"
If this is true, our suspicions are correct: even if the Miyamotos of the world are hesitant, with a large enough amount of outcry, the exact sort we've been doing for years, we can push the Kremlings back into their home series. I guess only time will tell if we've been loud enough; Tropical Freeze started development in late 2011, before Kremling support really skyrocketed, but now, we're absolutely on the radar, based on Kelbaugh on Twitter.

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
people need to remember that tropical freeze was supposed to come outbefore pokemon x and y and look how much content that got, tropical freeze was definetly not too recent
Not to pretend that every K. Rool fan has been a perfect angel to the Dixie fanbase, but yeah, there was a very long period of time (arguably still today) where people, some Dixie fans, some not, put her on a pedestal as a super shoo-in and, for some reason, used that as a reason K. Rool had no chance. . .because for some reason, "Donkey Kong Rep" is singular and our series is the only one that can't support two newcomers at once.

Two things that just occurred to me:

--You can tell who isn't really a Dixie fan, or at least who's not familiar with the DK series, by who says "Tropical Freeze was too soon for Sakurai to add Dixie." Dixie appeared in as many games as K. Rool before Tropical Freeze and is certainly important enough in them to merit playability, not to mention it would take a simple phone call to Retro to check up on her status during roster development, but no. . .Dixie is essentially a Tropical Freeze original character to a ton of people, and that's a shame.

--On my home computer (which I only see on vacations), I have a lot of strange links bookmarked from years ago, one of which is this GameFAQs thread, titled "Retro's Phone Number." Last time I was home, I posted an excerpt from that to criticize Miyamoto for allegedly being the driving force being No Crocodiles *laughs*. What I didn't notice was this little tidbit that followed, from the supposed Retro developer on the line:

If this is true, our suspicions are correct: even if the Miyamotos of the world are hesitant, with a large enough amount of outcry, the exact sort we've been doing for years, we can push the Kremlings back into their home series. I guess only time will tell if we've been loud enough; Tropical Freeze started development in late 2011, before Kremling support really skyrocketed, but now, we're absolutely on the radar, based on Kelbaugh on Twitter.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Glad to see you've joined after all this time. Will add you when I do my massive, sweeping OP update, whenever that happens.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I have a question. Does any K.Rool supporter think Dixie would be a semi-clone? No? So the detractors mentioned a few pages ago are liars
I certainly think she could be. And this is coming from a HUGE Dixie fan.

Yes, Dixie has her hair mechanic which can make her quite original. Sakurai could utilize it to his full potential and have her do a variety of acrobatics revolving around her hair. He can have a lot of her specials have her swing her hair around, or she can her her hair as a method of giving her momentum with other attacks, one such thing I saw suggested was an Up Smash where she uses her hair to push her upwards and kick off of the ground in that fashion.

However, that doesn't mean Sakurai WOULD do it. He might just see her as another monkey and too similar to Diddy to be truly 100% original. Probably the most unique mechnanic Dixie could get, which she could have even if she was a semiclone, is a descending glide like in the original DKC games.

As a whole, K. Rool has more at his disposal to make him original, because the playable DK characters always work almost the same way with only one or two differences. These differences define them, but they're still inherently similar at heart.

If Sakurai were to dig into Dixie's personality and utilize not just her hair, but also bugglegum and her guitar, traits that define her as a character, these could definitely expand her quite a bit. Final Smash would probably be Rambi since no one else uses Animal Buddies at this point in time, but anyone could use Rambi really.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
So what's all this about Club Nintendo? I registered my games but I never saw an option to suggest anything.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So what's all this about Club Nintendo? I registered my games but I never saw an option to suggest anything.
Well, I did so in the two text options anyway, but apparently there's a follow up survey you're supposed to get a week later. That's the one where you can suggest new things.

D

Deleted member

Here's something pretty interesting TheRandomCities4 posted on the Krystal thread:
Hey guys, wanna hear something funny?

In order to get both the K. Rool and Krystal trophies, you must complete CHALLENGES. Yes, as far to my knowledge, these trophies aren't obtained otherwise, else you'd be able to get the Commander Video trophy otherwise too (which you can't).

Anyways, here's how to get them:

King K. Rool: Smash the Sandbag as Ganondorf over 3250 feet on solo HR contest.

Krystal: Play as Fox on Trophy Rush, and survive through 6 fevers.

That's interesting... DLC hints, or just nods to their popularity? Why save them for challenges? After all, if this is the case, you can only get one of their trophies each. All of the other trophies you get normally you can get multiples of. Not challenge-obtained trophies though, they're considered to be unique.
Note the bolded. Notice how Namco Bandai was the developer of Mario Super Sluggers and that King K. Rool was in it as a playable character in his last appearance? I think this is reference to that same game King K. Rool showed up in. I don't think this means anything for his chances, but this is neat regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
King K. Rool: Smash the Sandbag as Ganondorf over 3250 feet on solo HR contest. Converted into meters, thats just a little bit under 1 Kilometre. Just a bit of trivia.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If you go to the Club Nintendo website and create an account, you'll be able to enter the PIN number found on the underside of the game's cover sleeve (open the box and gently lift it out the top to read it) and take a survey regarding your experience with it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If you go to the Club Nintendo website and create an account, you'll be able to enter the PIN number found on the underside of the game's cover sleeve (open the box and gently lift it out the top to read it) and take a survey regarding your experience with it.
I believe what he meant is specifically the option to make future suggestions. The two text areas available to enter your opinions are about what you were looking forward to and what you like about the game. They didn't provide the option to make suggestions on ways to improve the game. According to what I've heard, you get a followup survey a week after the initial one.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Minor note, but I invited a friend of mine who I'm in a play with over to play Smash Bros. today. He's a pretty casual fan overall, but loves SSB. We got on the subject of who we'd like to see, and I mentioned K. Rool, who he'd never heard of. I showed him the trophy, and just by looking at him, he says he looks like he'd be a really fun character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Similar minor note, I brought my Wii U and games home for my break to play with my younger brother; he's fourteen, roughly how long it's been since K. Rool's been in a Main Series Game™, according to the detractors. He's played the GBA remakes some, but is basically a casual DK fan for all intents and purposes.

When we booted up Tropical Freeze two days ago, at the part of the opening cutscene when the camera pans out to show the oncoming Snowmad ships, he starts chanting "K. Rool. . .K. Rool. . .K. Rool. . ." hoping to see him piloting the ship. He was so disappointed to see that it wasn't, and I was left to explain to him that it's okay, he'll probably be back next game. . .it's funny to me, because I haven't discussed #BringBackKRool or my fandom at all with him, it was just his natural reaction.

Last edited:

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Minor note, but I invited a friend of mine who I'm in a play with over to play Smash Bros. today. He's a pretty casual fan overall, but loves SSB. We got on the subject of who we'd like to see, and I mentioned K. Rool, who he'd never heard of. I showed him the trophy, and just by looking at him, he says he looks like he'd be a really fun character.
Related note: My mom thought R.O.B was Wall-E 7 years after we had brawl. But yea, K. Rool should make an epic come back to the DK series so everyone will recognize him like Bowser.

TheSkuxxedOne

Smash Cadet
If King K. Rool was ever put in Smash Bros, I see him as unorthodox heavy, since his wacky fighting styles from his various aliases would make him difficult to predict. I made a video about it too for anyone that's interested...

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Really want K.Rool in...I just realized Smash has like...no villains. Ganondorf and Bowser...and I guess Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings...but they are minor and just following Bowser's orders in their games. Wario is more of a rival / troublemaker than an actual villain...

I don't play KI or Kirby, but based on Palutena's Guidance featuring Dark Pit, it seems like he's just a rival to Pit and not a baddie? And King Dedede...just seems like some guy that likes to mess with Kirby but they are friends? I dunno. And Meta Knight is Kirby's rival or something?

I would love to have King K.Rool in Smash Bros.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Really want K.Rool in...I just realized Smash has like...no villains. Ganondorf and Bowser...and I guess Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings...but they are minor and just following Bowser's orders in their games. Wario is more of a rival / troublemaker than an actual villain...

I don't play KI or Kirby, but based on Palutena's Guidance featuring Dark Pit, it seems like he's just a rival to Pit and not a baddie? And King Dedede...just seems like some guy that likes to mess with Kirby but they are friends? I dunno. And Meta Knight is Kirby's rival or something?

I would love to have King K.Rool in Smash Bros.
Dark Pit, Wario, Meta Knight and King Dedede are not villains. (Well...kinda Wario. But Dedede and Dark Pit are lighthearted.)

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Dark Pit, Wario, Meta Knight and King Dedede are not villains. (Well...kinda Wario. But Dedede and Dark Pit are lighthearted.)
Like I explained a while ago, Dedede is a half-time villain.
And before someone says: "But in the newer games, he always helps Kirby and saves the world!"
Yes, but if you think about it, there are a few games, in which he does not do this, in which he is a villain and antagonist.
And if you say: "But only the newer games count!" Then, my friend, I have two words and one letter for you: "King K. Rool"
See? We say only because K. Rool wasn't in the newer Donkey Kong games, he isn't automatically irrelevant, then why should Dedede not be a villain, only because he wasn't one in the last few games?
King Dedede is a villain, as long as Dreamland isn't in danger. That means he is both a villain and not. Half-time villain.
You can consider him as whatever you want, but for me, he is a villain, and I will says this every time someone says something different.

By the way, I imagine it every time like that: If all the Smash Bros. characters would team up into two teams, the good team and the bad team, in which would the characters go? For me, Dedede would clearly go to the bad guys, and so would Wario...
And Dark Pit would just fly away and grumble something like: "Such idiots." ...much wow...

Steelia

Smash Champion
Similar minor note, I brought my Wii U and games home for my break to play with my younger brother; he's fourteen, roughly how long it's been since K. Rool's been in a Main Series Game™, according to the detractors. He's played the GBA remakes some, but is basically a casual DK fan for all intents and purposes.

When we booted up Tropical Freeze two days ago, at the part of the opening cutscene when the camera pans out to show the oncoming Snowmad ships, he starts chanting "K. Rool. . .K. Rool. . .K. Rool. . ." hoping to see him piloting the ship. He was so disappointed to see that it wasn't, and I was left to explain to him that it's okay, he'll probably be back next game. . .it's funny to me, because I haven't discussed #BringBackKRool or my fandom at all with him, it was just his natural reaction.
I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but K. Rool not appearing in Returns or TF was one of the major reasons I never got into them. It just doesn't feel like Donkey Kong Country unless he's apart of the chaos. Back before Returns was launched, I'd heard an old rumor that K. Rool might be a secret boss fight in the Golden Temple, and I was so stoked; would've bought and played through the game 100% just to fight him.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Here's something pretty interesting TheRandomCities4 posted on the Krystal thread:
Note the bolded. Notice how Namco Bandai was the developer of Mario Super Sluggers and that King K. Rool was in it as a playable character in his last appearance? I think this is reference to that same game King K. Rool showed up in. I don't think this means anything for his chances, but this is neat regardless.
Something similar; The Kritter trophy is also acquired via challenge. Beat 3 minute Smash with 120 KOs.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but K. Rool not appearing in Returns or TF was one of the major reasons I never got into them. It just doesn't feel like Donkey Kong Country unless he's apart of the chaos. Back before Returns was launched, I'd heard an old rumor that K. Rool might be a secret boss fight in the Golden Temple, and I was so stoked; would've bought and played through the game 100% just to fight him.
I thought he would be because his outfit in sluggers fit perfectly in Returns theme.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
By the way, I imagine it every time like that: If all the Smash Bros. characters would team up into two teams, the good team and the bad team, in which would the characters go? For me, Dedede would clearly go to the bad guys, and so would Wario...
And Dark Pit would just fly away and grumble something like: "Such idiots." ...much wow...
I think Wario was last an antagonist in Mario & Wario on the SNES. In his own games, he's not much of a hero either.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Like I explained a while ago, Dedede is a half-time villain.
And before someone says: "But in the newer games, he always helps Kirby and saves the world!"
Yes, but if you think about it, there are a few games, in which he does not do this, in which he is a villain and antagonist.
And if you say: "But only the newer games count!" Then, my friend, I have two words and one letter for you: "King K. Rool"
See? We say only because K. Rool wasn't in the newer Donkey Kong games, he isn't automatically irrelevant, then why should Dedede not be a villain, only because he wasn't one in the last few games?
King Dedede is a villain, as long as Dreamland isn't in danger. That means he is both a villain and not. Half-time villain.
You can consider him as whatever you want, but for me, he is a villain, and I will says this every time someone says something different.
I guess Donkey Kong and Mario are both villains as well.
We don't have to imagine it, we saw it happen in SSE.

Bowser, Ganon and Wario joined the bad team, Dedede didn't.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I guess Donkey Kong and Mario are both villains as well.
We don't have to imagine it, we saw it happen in SSE.

Bowser, Ganon and Wario joined the bad team, Dedede didn't.
Actually, the implication is that Dedede was part of their team.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Actually, the implication is that Dedede was part of their team.
Uhh, no. Dedede was actively working against Tabuu.

He was collecting trophy fighters and putting the badges on them so that they'd turn back once the timer runs out. It's what saves the heroes in the end, when everyone got turned into trophies by Tabuu's Off Waves.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Uhh, no. Dedede was actively working against Tabuu.

He was collecting trophy fighters and putting the badges on them so that they'd turn back once the timer runs out. It's what saves the heroes in the end, when everyone got turned into trophies by Tabuu's Off Waves.
None of the other villains were working with Tabuu at all. What are you getting on about? Tabuu comes out of nowhere. Dedede was aware of it while the other villains weren't. They were all working to revive Master Hand, but then Dedede discovers this other entity and ends up going against what he was supposed to do, which is reflected later on when Bowser goes after Dedede. Why does Bowser randomly go after Dedede?

Because Dedede BETRAYED them. Dedede betrayed them when he was supposed to be working for them, because he discovered Tabuu would go against their plans, so Dedede had to betray them in order to stop Tabuu.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No offense to anyone on this thread, but this is the most pointless argument I've ever heard. Who cares if they're "villains", they're all antagonists in some way or form, hell, even Mario is an antagonist in a few games.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
None of the other villains were working with Tabuu at all. What are you getting on about? Tabuu comes out of nowhere. Dedede was aware of it while the other villains weren't. They were all working to revive Master Hand, but then Dedede discovers this other entity and ends up going against what he was supposed to do, which is reflected later on when Bowser goes after Dedede. Why does Bowser randomly go after Dedede?

Because Dedede BETRAYED them. Dedede betrayed them when he was supposed to be working for them, because he discovered Tabuu would go against their plans, so Dedede had to betray them in order to stop Tabuu.
Well, it's true that they didn't know about Taboo. I guess that's a good point.

The rest of what you said is wrong though. "Revive Master Hand"? They were just conquering stuff.
Dojo said:
Chains of light bend Master Hand to the will of Tabuu, who uses Master Hand to enlist the likes of Ganondorf, Bowser, and Wario. He gives each of these minions a Dark Cannon and tells them to hunt down any talented fighters that might stand in the way of the Subspace Army.
Dedede never worked for them. Bowser attacked him because Dedede was an enemy (he stole Wario's cargo carrier and the trophies on it). And he had raided DDD's castle earlier under the orders of Ganondorf, remember?

Last edited:
Top Bottom