• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Eureka

Smash Ace
Man it's really obvious taht Sakurai gives a flying you no what for the DK Franchise. Look how little fanserive we got this SSB compare to other franchises:

- DK has only got one! One freaking new stage and this time we had a Handheld and a freaking console version! KI nad FE both got one new stage for each version adn DK only one in a whole!

- Second it's again a freaking jungle stage! How unimaginative can this guy get. Fire Emblem also didn't get just castles for stages or Super Mario also didn't always get the Mushroom Kingdom everytime as a temöate for a new stage. Why DK always has to stick with those boring jungle levels? Some of them aren't even locations from the original Games. Look at those two generic jungle stages in Melee. Why not something more original like a pirate ship, of a factory or if they have to use something with a jungle environment why not soemthing that takes place in some jungle ruins or Frozen DK Island from TF?

- DK has compare to other series a ridiculous low amount of playable characters. Only two. They didn't even scratched the surface. FE has 5 freaking characters. 5 characters! KI has 3 and Pokémon had ove rthe years 9 playable characters! What vthe hell Nintendo?

- DK does not even have one freaking AT and KI got 2 and FE I think also 2. Zeldas has 4 and even F-Zero has got at least 1. DK has nothing. Why?

- Same goes for the Smash Run enemies. Look how much enemies we have from KI? allmost 15 and DK only 2?

- DK also has got no Items form his series in the Smash Bros. Series.

It's really clear for me, that DK along with F-Zero is the franchise that Sakurais ignores the most.

KKR better get in this time.
I see people talk about how "Sakurai doesn't care about Donkey Kong" a lot. Here's the problem, Donkey Kong, the character is iconic, Donkey Kong, the series is not. Sure, Donkey Kong himself might be an icon of gaming, but outside of Donkey and Diddy, there really isn't a whole lot to work with in Smash Brothers. Sure, you all as Donkey Kong fans can see a lot from the series to use in Smash, but to an outside observer it doesn't really work. The animal companions for instance are to many people "generic rhino" or "generic swordfish". And while there are many elements from series like Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus that may seem generic to an outside observer, they come from recent games in the series, and thus are more well known to people.
To specifically address some of your points though.

-Jungle Hijinx is one of the most unique stages in the game, and showcases types of battles and environment interaction shown nowhere else in the game.
-Stages are generally what shows off what a game is most known for. So yeah DK get's jungle stages, just like Star Fox gets spaceship stages or F-Zero gets racetrack stages. And both of the new FE stages are in arenas, and Castle Siege is literally a generic castle, it doesn't come from any game. Also, 75m, although it's terrible, is a DK stage not in a jungle.
-Again, there isn't much in the way of character material besides K. Rool and maybe Dixie Kong. Both Fire Emblem and Pokemon provide a huge amount of unique and battle-ready characters. And we can't really count Lucina and Dark Pit, because they were meant to be alts for Marth and Pit.
-What assist trophies would even work? Maybe one of the animal companions, but I can't see more then one working well. DK has no assist trophies because the other series provided more characters that worked gameplay wise and had personality.
-I can not think of a single enemy that fills a slot gameplay wise and is unique enough from Kritter and TIki Buzz that would warrant being a Smash Run enemy.
-Donkey Kong doesn't really utilize any items on his adventures outside of barrels, and the Hammer and Spring are both credited from the Donkey Kong universe.

I understand that you guys might feel like you're getting ignored, but a lot of the stuff that might seem obvious to include to you guys doesn't look like that to others. I still fully believe that King K. Rool would work wonderfully in Smash, but outside of that there really isn't that much that appeals to people who aren't DK fans.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It cuts both ways. What's obvious to a developer who's worked on a minor series' revival or who's a big fan of a niche RPG mostly famous in Japan may come off as complete biased padding to outsiders. Even people who aren't DK fans recognize how poorly the series has been handled in comparison to how long-standing and popular it is.

Something to cheer up for, eh?
Fantastic response to the "AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO...?" genre of K. Rool topic in general.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Characters -

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong - Semi-Clone for Diddy
King K. Rool - The Projectile Heavyweight
Klump - Semi-Clone of K. Rool

Stages -

Gangplank Galleon
Krokodile Kore
Frantic Factory, with Mad Jack as a stage hazard
Honey Hive, with Zinger stage hazards

Just a few things DK can bring to the table.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
It cuts both ways. What's obvious to a developer who's worked on a minor series' revival or who's a big fan of a niche RPG mostly famous in Japan may come off as complete biased padding to outsiders. Even people who aren't DK fans recognize how poorly the series has been handled in comparison to how long-standing and popular it is.
I agree, I think the DK series deserves more representation in Smash Brothers. However, I don't think there's as much as people say. In terms of characters especially, the only one I think deserves a spot is King K. Rool. Also, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening are both recent games that sold very well on the 3DS.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
That probably won't happen again, but what if they place trollish data on purpose for the data-miners?
snd_bgm_Z84_F_Shrek_3DS.nus3bank
This is so disgusting...
Make it happen Nintendo! (without a fake K.Rool tought. If you do this you have no soul)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Characters -

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Cranky Kong - Semi-Clone of Scrooge McDuck (Even though he isn't playable)

Stages -

Gangplank Galleon
Krokodile Kore

Fixed

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Characters -

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Klump - Semi-Clone of K. Rool
Cranky Kong

Stages -

Gangplank Galleon
Krokodile Kore

fixed that for you
Edit::4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am one of those people. Very surprised all we've got is Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong and fifteen Jungle Level remixes.
Fantastic response to the "AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO...?" genre of K. Rool topic in general.
Best response to the "AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO..." phrase in general.
It's probably my biggest pet peeve. No, you're not the only one who-whatever. Nobody cares.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
I agree, I think the DK series deserves more representation in Smash Brothers. However, I don't think there's as much as people say. In terms of characters especially, the only one I think deserves a spot is King K. Rool. Also, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening are both recent games that sold very well on the 3DS.
Sorry but it is just NOT true that Fire Emblem sells well!
Out of over 10 games only 1 game was sold over 1Mio times.
DK for example even hits 1 million on the WII U even though the Wii U is a flop....
Fire Emblem really isn't the big series, people are making it...

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Sorry but it is just NOT true that Fire Emblem sells well!
Out of over 10 games only 1 game was sold over 1Mio times.
DK for example even hits 1 million on the WII U even though the Wii U is a flop....
Fire Emblem really isn't the big series, people are making it...
Fire Emblem is still more popular than DK or Metroid in Japan. Fates is doing even better than Awakening.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Fire Emblem is still more popular than DK or Metroid in Japan. Fates is doing even better than Awakening.
No, just no.
Fates has sold 700k copies in Japan right now on the 3DS, the console, that is the MOST succesfull right now.
700k on the 3DS is nothing!
Edit: Not even, i just checked my sources and Fates has only sold 300k in japan

Last edited:

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
No, just no.
Fates has sold 700k copies in Japan right now on the 3DS, the console, that is the MOST succesfull right now.
> 700k only in Japan
Stop being delusional. FE is more popular than DK in Japan. This is true.

Last edited:

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
> 700k only in Japan
Stop being delusional. FE is more popular than DK in Japan. This is true.
No! Why won't you accept facts?
DKCR 3D is a Remake, yet it sold 1,04 Million in Japan only how is a series with 300k in japan more popular than this?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No, just no.
Edit: Not even, i just checked my sources and Fates has only sold 300k in japan
700k in just over a month is amazing actually.

DKCR 3D is a Remake, yet it sold 1,04 Million in Japan only how is a series with 300k in japan more popular than this?
DKCR 3D sold that much TOTAL. Sorry, you need to get your facts in check. DKCR did sell at least 600k in Japan, though, which is more than Awakening sold in Japan.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
DKCR 3D is a couple years old already. Fates is barely a month out. FE also has a trading card game and a anniversary concert in Japan. Its more popular.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I want to see K rool punch Little Mac so bad or get into a flurry of punch exchanges with him.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Only less than 30 minutes until it is 8 AM in Japan. It would be reasonable that the update comes around that time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
DKCR 3D is a couple years old already. Fates is barely a month out.
Fire Emblem's lifetime sales are under 10m, according to VG charts they're around 7.6 but that's likely even too high. DK's lifetime sales are around 65m. It didn't make that number based on western sales alone.

At best you can argue that right NOW FE is more popular in Japan than DK, but you also have to realize that FE has had godawful sales ever since the start. Awakening is the first game to actually sell well, and even then DKCR 3D is about 200k away from Awakening, again, despite being a REMAKE of a game from the Wii (the FE remakes were awful).

And you can't compare Fates to DKC: TF, because Fates is on the popular 3DS compared to TF, which was on the Wii U, a console with a horrible install base in Japan.

Only less than 30 minutes until it is 8 AM in Japan. It would be reasonable that the update comes around that time.
I'm not sure. Yesterday they didn't update twitter until around 2 AM my time, which is still about another 9 hours from now (so it was 5 PM Japan time when they updated).

Last edited:

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Fire Emblem's lifetime sales are under 10m, according to VG charts they're around 7.6 but that's likely even too high. DK's lifetime sales are around 65m. It didn't make that number based on western sales alone.

At best you can argue that right NOW FE is more popular in Japan than DK, but you also have to realize that FE has had godawful sales ever since the start. Awakening is the first game to actually sell well, and even then DKCR 3D is about 200k away from Awakening, again, despite being a REMAKE of a game from the Wii (the FE remakes were awful).

And you can't compare Fates to DKC: TF, because Fates is on the popular 3DS compared to TF, which was on the Wii U, a console with a horrible install base in Japan.
Thanks that is what i wanted to say.
Guess i can't express myself that good since english isn't my former language and i am still learning it.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Remember Donkey Kong Country returns came out on both Wii and 3DS, and there's Tropical Freeze...so technically that's 3 major DK releases recently.

Not to mention DKC 1-3, DKL 1-3, DK64, King of Swing, and Jungle Climber are all on the VC, and every single one of those games has King K. Rool in it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Time for a civil discussion, methinks~

Who is your favourite Kremling and why? For the sake of the discussion, K. Rool doesn't count; otherwise, it can be anything from a generic grunt (e.g. Kritter, Klaptrap) to a named member of the Kutthroat Krew (e.g. Klubba, K. Lumsy).

For me, it's Kloak. I remember back when I first played DKC2 on the GBA, I had a huge thing for mysterious, abstract designs and creepy outfits, and Kloak just seemed so distinct from the rest of the Kremlings in that respect that he captivated my adolescent mind. Really, though, it was the laugh that got to me: that wicked cackle sent chills down my spine and stuck with me as my favourite thing about the character. I used to feel a rush of excitement every time Kloak materialised in front of me, confident that I would hear that spine-chiller of a laugh that I was so endeared to. Nowadays I'm partial to other Kremlings (no doubt many of you will share my fondness for Klump and Krusha), but Kloak will always be the Kremling that stood out to me as the most dynamic and interesting of the bunch.

Kackle is pretty cool too~

EDIT: I meant Krusha. Fixed it~

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Maybe cold hard sales figures aren't what they use to decide SSB characters.
Obviously they don't, otherwise we would've had another DK character and Mewtwo in the base game by default.

Who is your favourite Kremling and why? For the sake of the discussion, K. Rool doesn't count; otherwise, it can be anything from a generic grunt (e.g. Kritter, Klaptrap) to a named member of the Kutthroat Krew (e.g. Klubba, K. Lumsy).

For me, it's Kloak. I remember back when I first played DKC2 on the GBA, I had a huge thing for mysterious, abstract designs and creepy outfits, and Kloak just seemed so distinct from the rest of the Kremlings in that respect that he captivated my adolescent mind. Really, though, it was the laugh that got to me: that wicked cackle sent chills down my spine and stuck with me as my favourite thing about the character. I used to feel a rush of excitement every time Kloak materialised in front of me, confident that I would hear that spine-chiller of a laugh that I was so endeared to. Nowadays I'm partial to other Kremlings (no doubt many of you will share my fondness for Klump and Krunch), but Kloak will always be the Kremling that stood out to me as the most dynamic and interesting of the bunch.

Ugh, its difficult to say. There's so many great and interesting Kremlings to choose from. I think I'd go with Kopter since, like, what?! Seriously?! How does a Kremling FLY?

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The more I think about it and the more I read into these comments pointing out the absurdity of this costume, the more confident I am those textures were taken from an existing K. Rool model in the game already. I believe we will eventually get a Mewtwo style reveal with K. Rool, if not on Friday then somewhere later down the line after Wolf's trailer.

This shouldn't be making me even -more- optimistic about the King's chances but you'd be wrong.

Also, it's interesting because Chrom and Lloyd's Mii faces tried to reflect their character as much as possible, while the K. Rool face just used an existing Mii from elsewhere (albiet one with a **** eating grin). The description made it sound like "This is how Chrom is getting into the game" and "Dress up as the Kremling King!" taking note that the latter is not meant to somehow say the King is in the game, just that you get to dress up as him.

Are there any straws left to grasp? Let's find out...
Lyod and chrom are actually human K.Rool isnt.
Yhat explains the faces.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
FE actually got mainline entries during the Gamecube and GBA era. DK didn't get a proper follow up to the SNES trilogy until Country Returns, even then FE had more games on the Wii/DS.

Last edited:

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
If we just get stuck with Kostume K. Rool I'm just gonna be sitting here like

Last edited:

Uzume

Orange Heart
My favorite Kremling aside from the King himself is Kannon, he even looks like Captain Scurvy from the show.

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH

For me, it's Kloak. I remember back when I first played DKC2 on the GBA, I had a huge thing for mysterious, abstract designs and creepy outfits, and Kloak just seemed so distinct from the rest of the Kremlings in that respect that he captivated my adolescent mind. Really, though, it was the laugh that got to me: that wicked cackle sent chills down my spine and stuck with me as my favourite thing about the character. I used to feel a rush of excitement every time Kloak materialised in front of me, confident that I would hear that spine-chiller of a laugh that I was so endeared to. Nowadays I'm partial to other Kremlings (no doubt many of you will share my fondness for Klump and Krusha), but Kloak will always be the Kremling that stood out to me as the most dynamic and interesting of the bunch.

I always thought the Skiddas from DKC3 were hilarious in their movements and facial expressions. They were so wonderfully silly.

Last edited:

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
I think my favorite kremling is Kackle. A ghost, a skeleton, a pirate, AND a reptile? Yes please.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Diddy and Dixie should be seperate characters. Also Gangplank Galleon should be a stage.
gankplank galleon or flying croc. not picky which.

I have several favorites.
The muscles (krushas, krunchas, etc) just love these guys. XD
Kutlass/kosha... ok i grew up with the gba dkc 2... and kutlass had the cutest voice XD only later did i learn that it was taken from kosha in dk64. soo yah
and last but not least... dk64 klump. i ****ing love this guy. i love how he solutes you before falling backwards after defeat. i love that he eats bombs... but is also weak to bombs. he just cracks me up XD

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
FE actually got mainline entries during the Gamecube and GBA era. DK didn't get a proper follow up to the SNES trilogy until Country Returns, even then FE had more games on the Wii/DS.
It had DK64, which WAS the next main DK game after the SNES games. It didn't play like the only DKC trilogy, but it still sold well, and it was a main game.

Then we had the Rare buyout, which is the reason why DK didn't get a main game in the mean time. And despite this, DK remained popular through its spinoffs, including Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat. In Japan, there were TWO Arcade only Jungle Beat sequels, and Donkey Konga 3 was Japan exclusive. Donkey Kong Country Returns was also massively popular worldwide, and then Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn? Less than half a million sales. DK: Jungle Climber didn't sell that well either, but even it sold better than Radiant Dawn (it even had more sales in Japan than Radiant Dawn).

Awakening was basically the game that revived Fire Emblem. Yeah, FE got main games during the DK buyout era, but they didn't sell until Awakening. And the ONLY reason DK didn't get main games is because of the Rare buyout. Nintendo didn't know who would make them until they finally passed it off to Retro.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Every time someone mentions getting a new DK rep for smash bros, my dumb brain reads it as DK rap.

THE DK RAP
IS FINALLY HERE!

...I can't photshop. ;w;

Top Bottom