• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Assuming the ballot was for playable fighters and not just for Miis...I mean, a dead cat is just as good as the real thing right???

Last edited:

lelelelelel

Smash Apprentice
How do we know that sakurai or the smash team have seen the ballot?
K Rool, Chrom and Lloyd were characters that people wanted before it, maybe those costumes don't have anything to do with the ballot.

Another thing, doesn't it make more sense to release a mii costume first and then the character? I don't see the point of buying a costume of a character that is alredy in the game.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
How do we know that sakurai or the smash team have seen the ballot?
K Rool, Chrom and Lloyd were characters that people wanted before it, maybe those costumes don't have anything to do with the ballot.

Another thing, doesn't it make more sense to release a mii costume first and then the character? I don't see the point of buying a costume of a character that is alredy in the game.
Factor how far out the DLC is though. The poll ends in October, and we probably wont see DLC until April next year. Thats nearly 8 + months before K Rool could ever be playable. Releasing a costume this far out isn't really relevant.

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
Woo, getting through this thread constantly is a task and a half.

I suppose though I really shouldn't keep getting my hopes too high, especially on the note we could get something akin to a Direct on Friday. The Rayman Leak told me never to expect anything. - w-

But y'know. Stay optimistic still. Especially for the Kroc.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I hope a bunch of bull doesn't happen. I'm serious when I say one more anime character will sink my ship, I don't mean to get anyone mad, that's just how I feel. There are enough husbandos and waifus in the game to choke a horse. It gets especially bad when you start dumpster diving into the void of "who?" and bring up characters that don't even have two games to their name.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
It's the "consolation prize" view, which I do think applies to certain Mii costumes.
Unless they hate the character, why would they be giving out consolation prizes for a ballot that isn't over yet? And if they do hate the character, then this proves that the ballot is a sham and our input doesn't make a difference. If true, I'm not impressed.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Unless they hate the character, why would they be giving out consolation prizes for a ballot that isn't over yet? And if they do hate the character, then this proves that the ballot is a sham and our input doesn't make a difference. If true, I'm not impressed.
IMO, they really just shouldn't have released any character related mii costumes until the ballot was over. Period.
It puts certain characters at a huge disadvantage because it makes people think that they're not worth voting for.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
You know, maybe DK didn't get a new character in Smash 4 due to the fact that Sakurai is biased against the franchise.
I mean, look at the stages. Every one of them is a jungle.
Look at the music selection. The majority of them are variations of the same song.
Look at the characters. The fact that DK has less characters than Kid Icarus shows that a new DK character wasn't a high priority for them, despite the massive success that was Returns.
If Sakurai weren't biased, we would've had Dixie and K. Rool in Smash by now.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Theres nothing that indicates a costume cant be playable. (Link, Metaknight, Megaman, etc)

Just as theres nothing that indicates a trophy cant be playable. (Lucas, Mewtwo)

Just as theres nothing that indicates a background object cant be playable. (DK, Toon Link, Duck Hunt, Villager)

Just as theres nothing that indicates an enemy cant be playable (ROB).

Just as theres nothing that indicates there cant be three versions of the same character. (Marth, Lucina, Roy)

Just as theres nothing that indicates having custom moves of another character means that character wont return. (Ness/Lucas)

Just as theres nothing that indicates having the alt colors of a character means that character cant be added (Mario/Wario, Marth/Roy)

Just as theres nothing that indicates an AT cant be upgraded to playable (Little Mac)

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
You know, maybe DK didn't get a new character in Smash 4 due to the fact that Sakurai is biased against the franchise.
Look at the music selection. The majority of them are variations of the same song.
Look at the characters. The fact that DK has less characters than Kid Icarus shows that a new DK character wasn't a high priority for them, despite the massive success that was Returns.
The perfect DK representation is DK, Diddy, Dixie, and K.Rool.
DK and Metroid are in the same boat in terms of Smash representation. Sakurai seems to ultimately ignore those series and gives us the absolute minimum for both. I'm not sure why. Maybe because they're both primarily developed outside of Japan?

I mean, this is a game celebrating Nintendo's history. Donkey Kong is probably the second most iconic Nintendo character out there. The fact that the DK franchise has less representation than Kid Icarus is pretty ****ing lame.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Leans back in chair* I hate Dark Pit, ignore what your heard he is the EXACT same character as Pit. Which is funny seeing as how there ten billion weapons in Uprising.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
IMO, they really just shouldn't have released any character related mii costumes until the ballot was over. Period.
It puts certain characters at a huge disadvantage because it makes people think that they're not worth voting for.
Probably what killed the Inkling chances. "Yeah, I played Splatoon and I love the game to death. But why vote for Inkling in Smash if I can make a Mii Fighter for them?". And suddenly, all Inkling support was halved down. Though Im sure if people kept voting for Inkling and it ended at 1st place at the Ballot. Developers would have considered at least making him/her a full character despite exisiting an Inkling costume already.
Thankfully I'm not seeing that happening with King K. Rool yet.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
If there was to be a direct tomorrow, it would've been announced already.

Anyway, it seems a lot of people here are mistaken on the nature of the ballot again. It's not an election running from April to October, at which point they'd start working on the top choices. It's more like a suggestion box. Popularity matters, but at the end of the day it's up to Sakurai which characters make it in. Nintendo has never promised that the "winners" will get in the game.

And they're most definitely already working on some ballot picks.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I really wish I had some sort of music-creating software
I have so much fun ideas for fan-made victory themes (Dr. Mario, Balloon Fighter, King K. Rool and Banjo come to immediate mind) but I have nothing to express them with

Pakky

Smash Hero
The perfect DK representation is DK, Diddy, Dixie, and K.Rool.
DK and Metroid are in the same boat in terms of Smash representation. Sakurai seems to ultimately ignore those series and gives us the absolute minimum for both. I'm not sure why. Maybe because they're both primarily developed outside of Japan?
Okay I'm pissed, DK only needs four characters why is this so hard? One of them would even be a semi-clone so why aren't they in? Oh my bad we need more Pokemon, and having only six at anyone one time is blasphemous, right... Sorry,sorry that was rude but this is getting kind of silly. Despite my feeling towards Dixie, I care for her, Donkey Kong Land 2 was a gift from cousin and played it non-stop and I used Dixie all the time, and when I faced the King, the fight was glorious.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
If there was to be a direct tomorrow, it would've been announced already.

Anyway, it seems a lot of people here are mistaken on the nature of the ballot again. It's not an election running from April to October, at which point they'd start working on the top choices. It's more like a suggestion box. Popularity matters, but at the end of the day it's up to Sakurai which characters make it in. Nintendo has never promised that the "winners" will get in the game.

And they're most definitely already working on some ballot picks.
The chances of there being a mini-direct tomorrow are pretty much zero.
They wouldn't be revealing all of this content on social media if they were planning on a direct. I'm guessing that because this update doesn't come with a new fighter, they didn't think it was worth a video presentation.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Woo, getting through this thread constantly is a task and a half.

I suppose though I really shouldn't keep getting my hopes too high, especially on the note we could get something akin to a Direct on Friday. The Rayman Leak told me never to expect anything. - w-

But y'know. Stay optimistic still. Especially for the Kroc.
I'M COUNTING THIS OKAY

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
The chances of there being a mini-direct tomorrow are pretty much zero.
They wouldn't be revealing all of this content on social media if they were planning on a direct. I'm guessing that because this update doesn't come with a new fighter, they didn't think it was worth a video presentation.
Yeah, if they had done a video presentation, everyone would've expected a character reveal and then whined when they didn't get one.

cothero

Smash Lord
So can someone explain how a costume explicitly deconfirms a character?

Can someone explain how people keep assuming the poll is over?

This logic is the same as the "Metaknight deconfirmed logic"
Meta Knight's costume consists on a single mask. King K. Rool's costume consists on his entire outfit. And before you say "Link has too an entire Mii outfit", remember he was already confirmed in the game. Guys, i just hope i'm wrong, but i'm being realistic here.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I don't see the problem with having a jungle stage, that's just them not having the time to make a stage. Would I like to see a new stage from DK? Sure, i'm just not sure what it would be (I've heard of the Mine cart stage, and while it does sound promising, I don't see how it could work). There's also 75M, where as much as you may not like it, is still a stage.

Music selection, I'll give you that. Seeing more songs would be nice (As much as I love the current remixes).

Kid Icarus would have the same amount of characters as DK if it didn't have Dark Pit as a clone. It was never meant to overtake DK in the amount of characters it has.

On top of that, DK and Diddy are VERY faithful to how they are in their own games. Their animations, the moves that they have, they come straight out of a DKC game (DK possibly even inspiring some moves for future DK games). To say he doesn't care for the series is a lie and wrong. If he didn't like it, it would only have DK, very few trophies, and a stage at best. Just because it didn't get a character, doesn't mean he dislikes the franchise (If that's so, might as well include F-Zero in that).

Honestly, the only thing I felt like that could've held King K Rool back is his weird hiatus state. He's still popular, and a big figure in DKC. However, because we're not entirely sure of his status right now, he was probably put on low priority. That's the only thing I could guess.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight's costume consists on a single mask. King K. Rool's costume consists on his entire outfit. And before you say "Link has too an entire Mii outfit", remember he was already confirmed in the game. Guys, i just hope i'm wrong, but i'm being realistic here.
It's also realistic to note that this costume appears to be based on an entirely new model of K.Rool, which is interesting considering they already had his trophy model to work with.
The thing about this costume is that it can easily either be seen as a very good thing or a very bad thing for K.Rool's chances.

D

Deleted member

<My avatar says it all when it comes to this K.Rool Mii costume shenanigans.
I still have some hope tough......i will stay with hope until the end.

Also.......
57 Users and 38 Guests?! REALLY?!

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I still see him as more likely than every character other than Isaac and Wolf. Fans of the latter aren't in a better mood than us, seeing as they are in this persistent limbo of Wolf not coming where he supposedly should.

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
I really wish I had some sort of music-creating software
I have so much fun ideas for fan-made victory themes (Dr. Mario, Balloon Fighter, King K. Rool and Banjo come to immediate mind) but I have nothing to express them with
...weeeeell I just happen to have such a program... and actually considered doing such.

I should do so. Support K.Rool all I can with potentially some various victory theme ideas and maybe even a remix.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
It's also realistic to note that this costume appears to be based on an entirely new model of K.Rool, which is interesting considering they already had his trophy model to work with.
The thing about this costume is that it can easily either be seen as a very good thing or a very bad thing for K.Rool's chances.
At this point, with what you and many other said, this mii costume looks more like a "we made K.Rool a new model, he will be playable, we made this for you to wait." than " We hate K.Rool, a mii costume is what you will get. He will be beautiful however."

Kroc the hope...Kroc the hope.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The thing about Smash character DLC is that most people are going to buy it no matter who it is.
There are VERY few characters that I can think of that I wouldn't buy.

Unlike the mii costumes, the characters are pretty damn significant. As long as they have the money for it, I don't see why anyone wouldn't buy every character that gets released.
Not everyone would spend their money on just Smash. They have other games and interests to spend money on. Also, popular characters keep the game fresh in people's memories.

How would Wii Fit Trainer do as a DLC 6-12 months after the game if he or she was not already in it? Would it keep interests up?

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I went to the Miiverse stage to see what the communitys are like
Kirby's is strange
Meta Knight's is freaking perfect, nothing but fantastic drawings
Dedede's is stranger than Kirby's (Although I did see the occasional Bandana Dee post)
Bowser's is creepy
Sonic's is creepy
Donkey Kong was flooded with King K. Ostume riots
Mega Man's was filled with adorable drawings of Roll, which is always a nice treat
:4bowserjr:'s was filled with :4feroy: drawings
:4feroy:'s was filled with :4roy: drawings

Miiverse sure is kooky. :4pacman:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The thing about Smash character DLC is that most people are going to buy it no matter who it is.
There are VERY few characters that I can think of that I wouldn't buy.

Unlike the mii costumes, the characters are pretty damn significant. As long as they have the money for it, I don't see why anyone wouldn't buy every character that gets released.
I'm only buying the characters I want. I'm not made of money, I'd rather not buy characters I don't care about. I picked up Roy so far and that's it. I haven't bought any Mii costumes either, though I will buy K. Rool and Lloyd.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
the idea that the k. rool costume is a consolation prize rests on the assumption that we are getting this because of the ballot. but sakurai and company also took polls for the base smash 4 game. and k. rool was a top character in the prerelease, too. it remains unclear that the ballot had anything to do with the mii costumes we are seeing now. they could have been planned beforehand.
To me, this just suggests how pivotal our role can be. As the developers apparently had no intention to include K.Rool themselves, it is up to us to raise that issue for them. there is enough ambiguity here for me to remain a dedicated k.rool voter until october.

Luigi player

Smash Master
They REALLY missed out on a great potential event match with K.Rool.

-You play as Diddy
-Opponent is K.Rool with high percentage at the start of the match
-Stage is Boxing Ring
-You are unable to damage K.Rool using anything other than the falling lights at the top of the stage, and that is how you have to KO him

It's literally exactly how you fight him during the Diddy phase of the final boss in DK64. Dropping lights on K.Rool in a boxing ring as Diddy.
And you can only damage the lights while using your final smash. Smashballs are set to very high.

Would be pretty amazing, actually.

I'm only buying the characters I want. I'm not made of money, I'd rather not buy characters I don't care about. I picked up Roy so far and that's it. I haven't bought any Mii costumes either, though I will buy K. Rool and Lloyd.
Can you even buy only one Mii costume? If yes then I might pick up K. Rool just to support him...

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I was going to wait until I caught up to the last page to comment, but I guess I'll just do it here. I haven't been lurking this thread for too long, but hopefully long enough to make some kind of presence. Most of what I would say has already been said. I'll continue to attempt to bolster support for K. Rool.

When I first heard the news of the kostume, my first reaction was:

But now I'm just kind of feeling like this:

Top Bottom