• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
When K. Rool does get confirmed, it'll be nice to see everyone who hasn't appeared in a long time celebrate with us.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
As the OP of this thread has mentioned, K. Rool was noted as a popular request in Sakurai's Brawl journal so he definitely knows people want him. I agree with the sentiment someone posted earlier that with K. Rool's recent absences, Sakurai might have just assumed interest in him waned by Smash 4, but now we have a chance to prove him wrong.
Is there a link to wherever King K. Rool is mentioned as a popular request by Sakurai ? I never even knew about this!

EDIT: HAPPY 800 PAGES!!! We are on our way to 1000 ! Lets do it Kutthroats!!!

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Is there a link to wherever King K. Rool is mentioned as a popular request by Sakurai ? I never even knew about this!

EDIT: HAPPY 800 PAGES!!! We are on our way to 1000 ! Lets do it Kutthroats!!!
I don't have a link but it was in Sakurais Brawl notebook. Someone had translated his notes that I believe he shared with Famitsu after Brawls release. K. Rool was noted in his character notes section as he had recieved a couple emails from fans requesting him.

Edit: happy 800 pages everyone lol

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I don't have a link but it was in Sakurais Brawl notebook. Someone had translated his notes that I believe he shared with Famitsu after Brawls release. K. Rool was noted in his character notes section as he had recieved a couple emails from fans requesting him.

Edit: happy 800 pages everyone lol
Wow that is something! Sakurai def knows we want him among some other characters then. King K.'s trophy in Melee does say: "He's just enough of a bumbler to have gained a few fans over the years." That is especially true NOW!!!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oh hey! Looks like you guys got this boat to the 800th degree! I'd proud of you, guys.

Still can't beat the Ridley thread's +1500 page boost it got between the 2014 Smash Direct and the 50-Fact Extravaganza, though.

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
In the ballot I always write "King K. Rool" and the "Donkey Kong Country series". I like to point out that he has appeared in multiple games each with a different disguise, to show his enormous moveset potential.
Wouldn't it be more effective to list every single game he has been in to emphasize his importance in the Donkey Kong Country series? Hell, I'd even list the cartoon. :p

StormC

Smash Hero
Wouldn't it be more effective to list every single game he has been in to emphasize his importance in the Donkey Kong Country series? Hell, I'd even list the cartoon. :p
Character limit. Heck, I just tested it myself.

I put "Donkey Kong series" on mine.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
>When you can't find a King K. Rool model in the Steam Workshop for SFM
:crying:

StormC

Smash Hero
I've been looking at some exit polls here and there, and I'm curious: I think many people (including myself) just assume Wolf is more likely than K. Rool but is Wolf actually more requested? It seems like K. Rool often actually does better in polls. Certainly Wolf being an easy carryover from Brawl along with Star Fox Zero makes him a more immediate choice to Sakurai, but is he actually pound for pound getting more votes? I'm guessing probably so in Japan, but it doesn't seem as clearcut in the west.

Hopefully this doesn't seem like I'm trying to talk down to Wolf, as I'm rather obviously a Wolf supporter myself, but it's odd to me.

Last edited:

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
I've been looking at some exit polls here and there, and I'm curious: I think many people (including myself) just assume Wolf is more likely than K. Rool but is Wolf actually more requested? It seems like K. Rool often actually does better in polls. Certainly Wolf being an easy carryover from Brawl along with Star Fox U makes him a more immediate choice to Sakurai, but is he actually pound for pound getting more votes? I'm guessing probably so in Japan, but it doesn't seem as clearcut in the west.

Hopefully this doesn't seem like I'm trying to talk down to Wolf, as I'm rather obviously a Wolf supporter myself, but it's odd to me.
King K. Rool is doing far better than Wolf. King K. Rool consistently places first. Only once have I not seen King K. Rool on the top spot, and that's when they placed below Shovel Knight and "other" once (still better than Wolf). Problem is, I really don't know how many votes Wolf is actually getting. I feel as if he is under-preforming because so many believe Wolf is a shoe-in at this point.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think the only reason Wolf isn't topping the charts by a wide margin is because people assume he's a lock and voting for him is throwing away a vote. The demand is there without a doubt. Even if the charts here don't put him up above the rest, he's surely at the top in Japan, land of veteran borderline-fetishists, as well as among casual voters who wonder why that veteran from Brawl never came back.

K. Rool isn't directly competing with Wolf due to his veteran status...the only thing to really worry about is if there are only two spots left and the team was dense enough to not develop Wolf pre-ballot.

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
So I'm by no means a huge Minecraft fan at all, just had it on my Xbox for some time, but I felt like making this in order to honor and support our great and terrible king! *EDIT: sorry for sub-potato quality.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know, I've been thinking...if this David Wise rumor is true, and I have nothing but trust in Chad/Hyle, K. Rool's odds just climbed even higher. Why? Well...

--David Wise is basically the Donkey Kong series composer, despite work on Star Fox Adventures and minor old Rare games. If he's working on a new project, odds are very high it's DK-related.

--The project could just straight up be composing music for a K. Rool trailer and/or stage, like the Street Fighter guy did for Suzaku Castle.

--If the project is a DK game, I think the odds are great that K. Rool is in it as main villain. What with Michael Kelbaugh and the official Retro account following the Twitter movement, they're not only acknowledging the Kremling demand, but are seemingly indicating that they're not done with the franchise. They're also working on a secret new game and Tanabe has said there are more things he wanted to do with DK (3D experimentation and Animal Buddies).

--Therefore, K. Rool could very well be "muhrelevant" within Nintendo based on a game we don't even know about yet. If it weren't already enough that he's topping the ballot and 9 out of the 13(?) DK games you can buy from Nintendo at the moment feature him, that could push him over the top. In any case, this new game would outprioritize TF as the game to "promote" (which is kind of dumb that people think an early 2014 game would be Nintendo's first choice to advertise if they indeed went down the promotion path).

@ toadster101 toadster101 had a similar theory not long ago, and thanks to this new puzzle piece, I'm starting to believe in it.
According to this "leak", we found out David Wise was working on a Nintendo-related project after E3, right? I'd liked to know when he got hired. Was it just very recently or is it something that occurred months ago?

Because by the time we find out about this new DK game, it will probably be too late to help King K. Rool assuming he's in it. If a DK game is in development featuring King K. Rool, Sakurai likely doesn't know about it judging off the fact that we didn't even get a Tropical Freeze game in the initial roster yet got a stage based off the then upcoming Yoshi's Woolly World. Which means that King K. Rool will have to rely entirely on the massive fan demand and the hopes that Sakurai finds K. Rool interesting. And even if Sakurai knows about this new DK game that will feature King K. Rool as the main villain and adds him as a result of this, a small part of the reason why we put so much support onto K. Rool is because of our loathing of the use of recency and wanting to see that thrown into the garbage bin at the speed of sound. This, if anything, would reaffirm that and while this is obviously good for us, it practically destroys any hope of a certain highly wanted character ever getting in...

Don't get me wrong, I'll be very excited no matter how King K. Rool gets in as DLC should it happens, but if his inclusion were to be partially influenced by a hypothetical new appearance in the next major DK game, we do need to take a step back and realize what this means for characters and series that don't have a future and are not already playable in a Smash game.
I want to ask you something.
Am I the only one here who did not buy SSB4 yet?
But if K Rool woul be DLC I would definetly buy it!
I think the only other one who hasn't yet is @MasterWarlord IIRC. Everyone else has bought at least one version from my recollection.
I've been looking at some exit polls here and there, and I'm curious: I think many people (including myself) just assume Wolf is more likely than K. Rool but is Wolf actually more requested? It seems like K. Rool often actually does better in polls. Certainly Wolf being an easy carryover from Brawl along with Star Fox Zero makes him a more immediate choice to Sakurai, but is he actually pound for pound getting more votes? I'm guessing probably so in Japan, but it doesn't seem as clearcut in the west.

The only reason why Wolf isn't dominating polls is because almost everyone expects Wolf to be DLC and most think he is like 95% guaranteed to show up so many of them are deciding to put their efforts onto another character and we just happen to get the bulk of that support from Wolf fans. Even if they do panic and put in votes for Wolf later on, their vote for King K. Rool/whoever they want will still stand.

We should be glad that :4lucas: got confirmed as early as he did (especially me since he was my most wanted DLC character). Before his confirmation he was not seen as likely as Wolf and had Wolf been confirmed in April instead, the combination of Lucas not being seen as a shoe-in to the general public, being a veteran, and the Mother's extremely dedicated fan base would have made him head-over-shoulder the most wanted character... and indirectly reduce King K. Rool's chances (since it would make him easier to be overlooked). To be honest, I would have placed my full support for Lucas before K. Rool since Mother has no future as a franchise (in regards to getting new games that is. Localization of Mother 3 could be a different story).
I think the only reason Wolf isn't topping the charts by a wide margin is because people assume he's a lock and voting for him is throwing away a vote. The demand is there without a doubt. Even if the charts here don't put him up above the rest, he's surely at the top in Japan, land of veteran borderline-fetishists, as well as among casual voters who wonder why that veteran from Brawl never came back.

K. Rool isn't directly competing with Wolf due to his veteran status...the only thing to really worry about is if there are only two spots left and the team was dense enough to not develop Wolf pre-ballot.
Sakurai saying how DLC from here on out is fan service likely indicates the ballot is done, meaning that Wolf was probably not in the work prior to the ballot starting.

Which, as you can agree on, is pretty ****ing stupid because there's absolutely no good justification for him not being DLC already. Granted I do think this is a blessing in disguise for our King, but even as someone that likes Roy can admit that placing Roy as a pre-ballot character above Wolf is a pretty biased move. He should have had to fight his way with the ballot like K. Rool has to, not Wolf. Regardless, I still think Wolf is a lock even if there are only two more DLC characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sakurai saying how DLC from here on out is fan service likely indicates the ballot is done, meaning that Wolf was probably not in the work prior to the ballot starting.

Which, as you can agree on, is pretty ****ing stupid because there's absolutely no good justification for him not being DLC already. Granted I do think this is a blessing in disguise for our King, but even as someone that likes Roy can admit that placing Roy as a pre-ballot character above Wolf is a pretty biased move. He should have had to fight his way with the ballot like K. Rool has to, not Wolf. Regardless, I still think Wolf is a lock even if there are only two more DLC characters.
If Wolf isn't pre-planned, I don't expect him at all if we only get 2 ballot characters. Unless say, we get one from Japan and one from the States, but I absolutely doubt that's the method being used.

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
If Wolf isn't pre-planned, I don't expect him at all if we only get 2 ballot characters. Unless say, we get one from Japan and one from the States, but I absolutely doubt that's the method being used.
I see it as an accumulation of both regions. This is a suggestions ballot, so it isn't necessary for Wolf to be number 1. However, popularity is taken into great account.
Speaking of regions, does anyone have polling data from Japan?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Don't get me wrong, I'll be very excited no matter how King K. Rool gets in as DLC should it happens, but if his inclusion were to be partially influenced by a hypothetical new appearance in the next major DK game, we do need to take a step back and realize what this means for characters and series that don't have a future and are not already playable in a Smash game.
I think the only other one who hasn't yet is @MasterWarlord IIRC. Everyone else has bought at least one version from my recollection.
The only reason why Wolf isn't dominating polls is because almost everyone expects Wolf to be DLC and most think he is like 95% guaranteed to show up so many of them are deciding to put their efforts onto another character and we just happen to get the bulk of that support from Wolf fans. Even if they do panic and put in votes for Wolf later on, their vote for King K. Rool/whoever they want will still stand.
More people are supporting him, but if he isn't revealed by August, expect a bunch of votes incoming for Wolf.
The only thing that could keep Wolf from getting in is Sakurai bias, Other wise Wolf has everything going for him.

StormC

Smash Hero
Nah, I think Wolf is a safe bet for one of two ballot characters. The lack of overall barriers for his inclusion + assets from Brawl make him a top pick to Sakurai even if he isn't the most popular (as he's still top 5 international easy). If we only have two ballot characters period, newcomers that aren't K. Rool should be more concerned.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
You know, looking at Awkward Zombie's Smash comics crack me up(and reminds me how I miss Brawl in the Family), but her recent ones on Roy makes me wonder what will be done when K.Rool gets in. wonder if it'll involve the monkeys, have a super sluggers reference, refer to his previous trophy only status, or have some real fun with it(like the Kremlings... or K.Rool himself taking the place of the other characters XD )... Kinda wish I had artistic talent, would be fun to mock up some comics of K.Rool invading/taking over a hypothetical Smash clubhouse XD

Bananija

Count of Trickery
You know, looking at Awkward Zombie's Smash comics crack me up(and reminds me how I miss Brawl in the Family), but her recent ones on Roy makes me wonder what will be done when K.Rool gets in. wonder if it'll involve the monkeys, have a super sluggers reference, refer to his previous trophy only status, or have some real fun with it(like the Kremlings... or K.Rool himself taking the place of the other characters XD )... Kinda wish I had artistic talent, would be fun to mock up some comics of K.Rool invading/taking over a hypothetical Smash clubhouse XD
Probably not something as big as Roy's one, since that he was one of the "stars" at the beginning but was less seen because of is brawl exclusion. He will probably get something nice thought.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, as weird as it sounds, one of the things I'm looking forward to the most with K. Rool's inclusion is the wave of fanart.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually mad that custom moves for DLC characters isn't a thing because K. Rool had great potential for move customization.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I'm actually mad that custom moves for DLC characters isn't a thing because K. Rool had great potential for move customization.
I'm okay with it because without custom moves on dlc there's more time for dlc characters specifically.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Honestly I feel the lack of customs for K Rool could be a positive. Hopefully, it forces better movesets/inclusions on the standard moveset.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I'm okay with it because without custom moves on dlc there's more time for dlc characters specifically.
Personally I don't buy the "no custom moves means more time for more characters" excuse until at least we get official words about this. I don't care if it's an obvious reason, excluding a highly prominent gameplay feature for paid DLC characters we had no reason to not expect to see given to them and on top of that not warning anyone about it in official material is terrible consumer practice. I would be more tolerant on DLC characters having custom moves if Nintendo officially said something about this, though at least I guess the lack of any official words opens the door for them being added at some point in the future (please let me hope).

Well, at least I'm no not as mad about this as when Mewtwo originally released and I won't let this deflate my hype anymore, though I'm still salty and confused about this issue and Nintendo still ignoring the elephant in the room. Besides, even though I originally gave the three status gases from DKC2 as different custom variations for my neutral B in my moveset, I think it would actually be better to have them all three as in one unique special move. They've been all featured in the same boss fight after all, so they would make more sense as one move alternating each time you use it (starting with red clouds, then the purple ones, then the blue ones, before the cycle repeats). On another hand I would have loved to see custom Krown Toss changing the krown's trajectory based on how the kannonballs from the DKC2 fight swirl and bounce. That would have been a neat easter egg you could most likely not emulate without custom moves.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Personally I don't buy the "no custom moves means more time for more characters" excuse until at least we get official words about this. I don't care if it's an obvious reason, excluding a highly prominent gameplay feature for paid DLC characters we had no reason to not expect to see given to them and on top of that not warning anyone about it in official material is terrible consumer practice. I would be more tolerant on DLC characters having custom moves if Nintendo officially said something about this, though at least I guess the lack of any official words opens the door for them being added at some point in the future (please let me hope).

Well, at least I'm no not as mad about this as when Mewtwo originally released and I won't let this deflate my hype anymore, though I'm still salty and confused about this issue and Nintendo still ignoring the elephant in the room. Besides, even though I originally gave the three status gases from DKC2 as different custom variations for my neutral B in my moveset, I think it would actually be better to have them all three as in one unique special move. They've been all featured in the same boss fight after all, so they would make more sense as one move alternating each time you use it (starting with red clouds, then the purple ones, then the blue ones, before the cycle repeats). On another hand I would have loved to see custom Krown Toss changing the krown's trajectory based on how the kannonballs from the DKC2 fight swirl and bounce. That would have been a neat easter egg you could most likely not emulate without custom moves.
Well It's obvious they have time restraints and custom moves would take QUITE a bit more development time up. So I completely buy that it would take more time. Because it does. The less time spent on custom move development = the more time for character development.

StormC

Smash Hero
I just wish there was more transparency on what the team's limitations on resources, staff, and time are compared to Smash 4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom