• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Sadly I think DK was the one I enjoyed the least... not that he was bad or anything but in DKC1, Diddy does everything I would mainly do with DK but faster. Kiddy contrast with Dixie a lot more so I was more inclined to play him than I was DK over Diddy. Dixie was always fun even if I hated how slow her barrel throw was which again ties into the contrast factor with Kiddy.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Personally, I prefer DK as a character (him and Cranky are my favorite Kongs) out of the four original playables, but typically use Diddy and/or Dixie in the actual games.

On the note of me preferring DK, I recently came to own the new figurine of him, the one that came packaged with a description that name-dropped K. Rool. The figurine is tough to keep standing up, but it's a great depiction of the character.
DK has the unfortunate fate of being the most bland character in the DK games. In the original Country games he's the worst. In DK64 he's probably the most bland and boring. He's slow, has a bad jump, and his specials just aren't as interesting as most of the other ones. In the new Countries once again he's the most bland, with the other Kongs in 2 player basically being him with extra abilities.

He only gets to shine in multiplayer games. Though he's normally not that good in Smash, we at least get to see him display his power. Same goes for the Mario spin-offs like the Kart games, but at least being heavy is good.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Personally, I prefer DK as a character (him and Cranky are my favorite Kongs) out of the four original playables, but typically use Diddy and/or Dixie in the actual games.

On the note of me preferring DK, I recently came to own the new figurine of him, the one that came packaged with a description that name-dropped K. Rool. The figurine is tough to keep standing up, but it's a great depiction of the character.
Yeah, I have a few from that line. Most of them use snippets from the Brawl trophies. Wario's in particular reminds me how awful his 3DS/Wii U trophy description is.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Who is everyone's favourite Kong to use in the original Country games?

I know this is just going to be Diddy vs Dixie, but I'm curious to see whether people prefer speed or beginner's aid.

I obviously use Diddy for all of 1 except for the (spoiler)Oil Drum Boss. In 2 I always used Diddy as my primary Kong. Mostly because I like his speed, but also because if I lose a Kong I have Dixie for backup, who is safer. Normally I play slower and more cautious with her. But now I'm starting to use Dixie more, I feel kind of nooby but I like fooling around with her hair. In 3 Dixie is my primary Kong.
Donkey Kong, the titles are called Donkey Kong Country for a reason, as good as 2 is and descent 3 is, I find it a little offputting how you are'nt able to play as him. Also, yes Diddy does have speed and agility but as I said, Donkey Kong has the moves to take down Klumps and Krushas just by jumping on them and you get extra bananas by slamming enemies to the ground with him. At least Dixie has the ability to float through the air making it easier to reach longer distances to other prlatforms. To be honest, I became a fan of Diddy Kong in Diddy Kong Racing and more so in DK64 due to his peanut popguns and jetpack ability as well as his rock'n guitar. I hate to say but I think Diddy is a little overrated out of the Kongs as far as the original DKC games go.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Donkey Kong, the titles are called Donkey Kong Country for a reason, as good as 2 is and descent 3 is, I find it a little offputting how you are'nt able to play as him. Also, yes Diddy does have speed and agility but as I said, Donkey Kong has the moves to take down Klumps and Krushas just by jumping on them and you get extra bananas by slamming enemies to the ground with him. At least Dixie has the ability to float through the air making it easier to reach longer distances to other prlatforms. To be honest, I became a fan of Diddy Kong in Diddy Kong Racing and more so in DK64 due to his peanut popguns and jetpack ability as well as his rock'n guitar. I hate to say but I think Diddy is a little overrated out of the Kongs as far as the original DKC games go.

Diddy is the best Kong once you're good at the game because he's the fastest. The other Kongs have mechanics that make patforming easier for new players at the sacrifice of speed. DK is particularly bad because he's only helpful in very few instances, and you don't need him to get any of the bonuses. In speedruns 99% of it is Diddy. DK is used for one boss and sacrificed a few times to save frames.

Dixie's mechanic is at least useful a lot of the time for new players and she's actually required to 100% the game. Diddy is still used most of the time in speedruns though.

So yeah he's not really overrated. He's the most popular because if you're good at the game most of the time you're slowing yourself down unecessarily if you don't use him. A lot of the replayability of the games is in the parkour-sque speed and style that you can blitz through levels when you're good at them, and Diddy is the best for that. He's also just a cool character

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Diddy is the best Kong once you're good at the game because he's the fastest. The other Kongs have mechanics that make patforming easier for new players at the sacrifice of speed. DK is particularly bad because he's only helpful in very few instances, and you don't need him to get any of the bonuses. In speedruns 99% of it is Diddy. DK is used for one boss and sacrificed a few times to save frames.

Dixie's mechanic is at least useful a lot of the time for new players and she's actually required to 100% the game. Diddy is still used most of the time in speedruns though.

So yeah he's not really overrated. He's the most popular because if you're good at the game most of the time you're slowing yourself down unecessarily if you don't use him. A lot of the replayability of the games is in the parkour-sque speed and style that you can blitz through levels when you're good at them, and Diddy is the best for that. He's also just a cool character
i still prefer DK in country for his animations and it is the only time you can play as him in the originals.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I think we have discussed this (but what haven't we discussed at this point) but what do you guys think k rool's victory theme should be? I want it to be a short arrangement of gangplank galleon or the donkey kong country 1 bonus room failure music, but I have a bad feeling K rool will get the ganondorf treatment and have the same victory theme as the heroes even though it doesn't suit him at all

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I think we have discussed this (but what haven't we discussed at this point) but what do you guys think k rool's victory theme should be? I want it to be a short arrangement of gangplank galleon or the donkey kong country 1 bonus room failure music, but I have a bad feeling K rool will get the ganondorf treatment and have the same victory theme as the heroes even though it doesn't suit him at all
Yeah I thought about the bonus room failure theme, but the concept of a failure theme becoming a victory theme is... kind of awkward to say the least. It'd need to be remixed in order to feel more of a villain's victory rather than a failure.

The same theme from DK:TF (only the first six seconds of the video). A rock remix of this with the sad sounding trumpet for the first four seconds removed could work as a victory theme imo. Thought a remixed excerpt of Gangplank Galleon would be the most straightforward and possibly best choice.

I also hope he will not get the same victory theme as the current DK characters as much as you do. So unfitting for him.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

Same can be said for DK, I'm good with both of them and both can get the job done.

Well, if you're looking to run through the whole game then that's different but I still use Dixie due to her ability since I find more safer and easier.

Heh, if Diddy were so great too then he wouldn't have been kidnapped as many times as DK by K. Rool.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
Let's see here. In DKC1 I find myself using both of them about evenly. I really liked Diddy a lot more back then than I do and maybe DK a little less than I do now. But DKC1 I really played it during my casual gameplay days and can't really describe who I used more. I'd probably use them both just about evenly now.

In DKC 2 however I find myself using Dixie. I'm always filled with disappoint when I lose her and I'm stuck with Diddy Kong till the next tag barrel. :( I really enjoy soaring just about endlessly throughout the level. A really broken mechanic if you ask me. Same applies for DKC 3. I really dislike sluggish characters so Kiddy kong was not my cup of tea. I definitely used Dixie for more beyond him whenever I got the chance, however I would resort to Kiddy when those exclusive moments arise.

Donkey Kong Country Returns.. Well. I pretty much played throughout the game alone but when the chance was given to me (one could identify this as never) I would use Diddy Kong. However if I were to go back and play the game again in two-players I'd probably prefer DK. I would usually consider myself the more advanced player at this day of age and therefore offer the break to whomever i'm playing with.

Tropical Freeze.. Man oh man. I love how you're given the choice. CRANKY ALL THE WAY! I love the way he plays, and he's probably my most favorite playable character in the DK universe. I was the most excited to finally have him playable in the mainline games during 2013's VGX (the only thing actually worthwhile announced there I might add.) However I would of course resort to Dixie when I must use her for secrets. Even in two players I would insist on playing as Cranky unlike the previous installments.

As for K. Rool victory theme I was just think of an extended version of Gangplank's Galleon first few notes. Probably similar to brawl's remix from outro transitioning to intro. I'm sure there are better options to choose from. :p

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
The reason I use DK over Diddy in DKC is simple: he's Bigger, Faster, and Stronger too! Not to mention, and I'm not sure if you knew this but he's ALSO the first member of the DK Crew. What's not to love about being a trendsetter?

D

Deleted member

Since we're discussing who we used in DKC, I might as well mention how I played:

DKC 1: Donkey Kong over Diddy. Donkey Kong was heavier and didn't have problems with some Kremling Krew members like Klump and Army, although the gray Krusha would bother anybody. Boy, playing "Hero Mode" with Diddy in the GBA remake in "Platform Perils" was a nightmare with those things.
DKC 2: Dixie Kong over Diddy. I always spammed Dixie's Helicopter Twirl a lot, and still do.
DKC 3: Dixie Kong over Kiddy. One issue with the DKC playables was that the new guy would bring something good to the table, but Kiddy didn't do that. Sure, he could smash some stuff if Dixie threw him, and there was the water skip, but he was nothing worth writing home about.
DKCR: Donkey Kong... well, I played single player mode.

I haven't gotten to play DKCTF because I don't own a Wii U.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'll be honest. I found him more funny than scary.

Seeing how many newcomers there are from the 2000s depresses me immensely.
Well, it is not like they are just gonna keep adding newcomers from the 1980s and 1990s and keep ignoring the characters created in 2000s and 2010s in future games. We are running out of notable characters from the 1980s and 1990s (the real reason why people keep saying we are running out of characters worth adding in Smash) so we are starting to get more notable characters from the 2000s and 2010s.

Also, we have more characters from the 1990s anyway.

1980s
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4dk::4link::4zelda::4samus::4pit::4palutena::4gaw::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4rob::4pacman::4megaman:
:popo::snake:

1990s
:4yoshi::4wario::4drmario::4diddy::4ganondorf::4sheik::4marth::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::mewtwomelee::4falcon::4ness::4sonic:
:younglinkmelee::pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur::wolf:

2000s
:rosalina::4bowserjr::4tlink::4zss::4myfriends::4lucario::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4mii:
:roymelee::lucas:

2010s
:4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4greninja::4shulk:

No, I am not counting alternate characters like Alph and the Koopalings. They are not their own characters.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
No, I am not counting alternate characters like Alph and the Koopalings. They are not their own characters.
Eeehhh...they may not take up their own slot, but they're still technically separate characters; they just share a slot with another character because they play identically to each other. Sort of like how people keep saying that Dr. Mario and Mario should share a slot despite being different to some degree.

They're technically separate, but share a slot with one or more other characters. Cosmetically differing clones, if you will. :p

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I really favored any Kong. Just used who I had to get the most things.

I'd say DK is especially useful in the Plattform Perils level due to the way he holds the barrels. I also played DKC Hero Mode in the GBA remake, it was quite a rush and a fun time.

The GBA remakes are pretty good. I recommend playing them. The whole new world Pacifica in DKC3 is really fun.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
"Little kids don't know K. Rool! He won't appeal to them!"

These kids know K. Rool, and while he may not personally appeal to them, killing him sure does.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I never got the logic behind that argument. Smash is literally a giant advertisement to introduce new things.
Indeed, which is why the whole relevance and popularity arguments aren't really reliable when it comes to predicting all of Sakurai's choices (As if reading the man's mind is easy as reading a book).

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Was just watching some youtube videos and stumbled upon this thread> King k. Rool in Smash 4 needs to happen. Months before release of smash 4 the only characters I wanted in sm4sh were Jigglypuff, mewtwo, and King k. Rool. I even had a dream that mewtwo and jigglypuff got announced like a month before the game released LOL. K. ROOL 4 SMASH OR RIOT

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Was just watching some youtube videos and stumbled upon this thread> King k. Rool in Smash 4 needs to happen. Months before release of smash 4 the only characters I wanted in sm4sh were Jigglypuff, mewtwo, and King k. Rool. I even had a dream that mewtwo and jigglypuff got announced like a month before the game released LOL. K. ROOL 4 SMASH OR RIOT
WELKOME!

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Indeed, which is why the whole relevance and popularity arguments aren't really reliable when it comes to predicting all of Sakurai's choices (As if reading the man's mind is easy as reading a book).
Hey, the Gematsu leak confirmed Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk and partly Greninja...so obviously either Sakurai himself made the Gematsu leak or someone was really darn lucky. :p

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Did anyone use Diddy in TF? I mean on terrestrial levels, because he was the best underwater. I hope that in the next game they change the abilities so that Diddy isn't completely obsolete for the entire game bar two levels.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Question: Should I borrow a friend's copy of TF tomorrow? I see him weekly and he's alright with it
If you think you'd enjoy playing through some of gaming's finest platforming levels (let alone DKC's) in a stunning range of environments as four diverse Kongs, fighting compelling(!) enemies to the score of gaming's finest composer, you'll take him up on his offer.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If Rool was in Smash, I do wonder how they'd handle the idea of him using his alter egos. One idea I always had was K. Rool being able to switch weaponry on the fly with the tap of the side taunt button, similar to how in Project M Samus can change her beam type by taunting and giving her access to some alternate moves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom