• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I've been singing the One of Us song to myself, but then remembered that after the stupid leak reared its ugly head most of our Kutthroats have all but abandoned ship. :urg:

Bah, alas they were weak. I'm staying on this vessel even if it sinks to the briny deep!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I've been singing the One of Us song to myself, but then remembered that after the stupid leak reared its ugly head most of our Kutthroats have all but abandoned ship. :urg:

Bah, alas they were weak. I'm staying on this vessel even if it sinks to the briny deep!
The Captain goes down with his ship, along with his loyal mateys. I will be one of those mateys sticking by you guys through the bitter end.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Wario's girlfriend, forget her name though.
I wouldn't go that far, since they're always stealing treasure from each other. Though she does call him 'handsome' in Shake It.

And I'm on this ship until it goes under as well. Just like our great ruler, we'll never persevere, no matter how many defeats we suffer.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So what do you guys think of Lord Fredrik? Do you think he's a good K. Rool substitute or do you just hate him because he's not K. Rool? I actually quite like him. If Retro makes another DKC game, I'd obviously want K. Rool to be the main villain, but if I can't have K. Rool, I'd want Fredrik to return as opposed to having a totally new character be the main villain. If Fredrik does return, I'd welcome him into Smash 5 with open arms.
In retrospect, my view of Fredrik largely depends on Retro's intentions in making him the final boss of Tropical Freeze.

If he was put in as some sort of 'bone to the fans' after stubborn Japanese traditionalists like Miyamoto and Tanabe left the Kremlings on the wrong side of the "point in the series' legacy to draw from," then he's okay, if a bit anticlimactic as the "surprise" leader of the Snowmads (a giant yeti would have been the ideal non-K. Rool final boss IMO). If he was put in for pretty much any other reason, be it as a 'compromise between Kremlings and original enemies' (read: noncommittal flop) or as an attempt at a cool new character, I strongly dislike him for all of the obvious reasons.

A short tangent that occurred to me during some recent scrapbooking: back when I was in grade school, I loved to illustrate original animal characters and video game ideas for them. I thought they were so original at the time, and some of them were funny in retrospect (I had a bird character named Phoenix who was obsessed with Shrek, over a decade before the 'Shrek is love, Shrek is life' meme happened). On the whole, though, they were largely just reskins of characters and video games I had played at the time, with 'Bear Brothers' being Donkey Kong Country, spurred on by antagonist 'Kaptain Kodiak,' who fought with a cannon. Another item of note, a lot of the characters had generic people names. . .there was a lion named Christopher, for example, and a duo of crows named Michael and Patrick.

To make this DKC-related, I could totally see Fredrik being some Retro employee's generically-named childhood rip-off of K. Rool, like 'Kaptain Kodiak' was for me, and when s/he learned s/he'd be working on a DKC title, s/he jumped and lobbied hard to get his/her character into the game as some sort of wish fulfillment. Yeah, yeah, that probably wasn't what happened, but if it was, I'd be just a bit more understanding of the decision than I am now.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Seeing how Ricky got revealed as an assist trophy in the Shulk trailer, I think it's possible that Chunky is being held off for a DK newcomer trailer.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
What bothers me about Fredrick is how they gave him the Dr. Claw treatment, and never showed him until the end of the game. His silhouette looks like a big fat viking walrus...and he's a big fat viking walrus. Seriously, what was the point? If you're going to go through the trouble of shadowing a character, have a damn reason to.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What bothers me about Fredrick is how they gave him the Dr. Claw treatment, and never showed him until the end of the game. His silhouette looks like a big fat viking walrus...and he's a big fat viking walrus. Seriously, what was the point? If you're going to go through the trouble of shadowing a character, have a damn reason to.
Oh, yeah, that's another thing that ground my gears. . .based on the "shocking" reveal of a walrus silhouette turning out to be a walrus, I think I think the mystery was definitely played up for the purpose of teasing DKC fans who wanted K. Rool, generating more talk and publicity for the game as a result. Retro took advantage of the K. Rool hype without actually lifting a finger to do anything about it. . .opportunistic bull****, in other words.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I like Fredrik because I think he feels like K. Rool without being just a cheap knock-off. I think he's like Retro's "version" of K. Rool, if you will. Personally, I think they did a good job with it. Not as good as K. Rool, but almost there. It's the best it could be without the real K. Rool. And it's a trillion times better than Tiki Tong.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I still got hope, even if my main forum is full of people who are against K.Rool for some reason or another, I mean not everybody has to like him, but a lot of them are saying Dixie is more likely to be ingame because "Kongs are more constant" and "K.Rool is out of date"...

Personally I think he's got a lot of potential, and we have absolutely no new Heavy weights which is weird and kinda sad, we should be in for at least one or two, and they simply have not been revealed yet

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I still got hope, even if my main forum is full of people who are against K.Rool for some reason or another, I mean not everybody has to like him, but a lot of them are saying Dixie is more likely to be ingame because "Kongs are more constant" and "K.Rool is out of date"...

Personally I think he's got a lot of potential, and we have absolutely no new Heavy weights which is weird and kinda sad, we should be in for at least one or two, and they simply have not been revealed yet
I can't believe people don't want k rool. I know I sound like an idiot, but why wouldn't someone want a character that can fill the big gap in character types? Nonhuman, villain, and heavyweight. It's just odd to me.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I can't believe people don't want k rool. I know I sound like an idiot, but why wouldn't someone want a character that can fill the big gap in character types? Nonhuman, villain, and heavyweight. It's just odd to me.
Because he's popular. Some people have a bias against the most popular choices. I wouldn't call it a hipster thing, but more contrarian. I personally think it's because they're indifferent or ambivalent towards X, but constantly hearing X mentioned grates on them, which eventually turns to dislike. That's my theory at least.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Just know that there's trash people out there who think it's odd that someone would want a character that is an "irrelevant, unimportant, bald Bowser".

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
This may still mean something. Does everyone remember that old leaked list of supposed playable characters in a game that was rumored to be called Smash Universe (Smash 3DS/Wii U) ? Well every single character on that list that was leaked out, I believe years ago, has been used in the game in some way. Take a look. Most of the confirmed characters are on there as well as many of the Assist Trophies and Pokéball Pokémon. Others could have just been ideas. Lets hope King K., Ridley, and Mewtwo made it from point A to point B.

Hopefully this means something. :p

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Other than King K. Rool, who are your guys other favorite Kremlings? mine are Kritter, Krusha, Kudgel, Kackal, Kruncha, Klomp and Kasplat.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm ambivalent about Fredrik. I feel that while his boss fight was fine and engaging, it just didn't fit him. I mean, in DKC1 K.Rool was practically all the DKC Kremlings combined: skin and jumping powers of Kritters, face of a Klaptrap, arms of a Krusha, gut of a Klump and speed of a RocKroc. He had powers that were shown already but taken to the extreme and he had some surprises of his own with his crown, cannonballs and Kredits. He did what the rest of the Kremlings could do, but BETTER.

With Fredrik being lord of the Snomads, in particular the head Walrus Viking, I expected him to be what they are, but better. How are the walruses we fight in game? They're big, slow, often well armored and well armed. They're tanks; you gotta strategize to get around them and/or land a hit. We never had to deal with any fast walruses or ones that leap into the air. The fight's good, intense and he does have a weapon that sets him apart, but he behaves less like an original character and more like a "What if DKC1 K.Rool got remixed as an ice Walrus" scenario. His horizontal ice dragons are fine, but his vertical ones, leaping and charging don't fit what we've come to expect from the Walrus enemies. They fit K.Rool.

I'd like to fight K.Rool in a new DKC, but I also love that DK has a variety of villains. Crocodiles, Demon Gorillas, Possessed Instruments, Viking animals--as long as they don't behave like previous enemies, even if it's fanservice, I have no complaints.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There seems to be an over-saturation of sword fighters this time around, and their attitude's of the big 3 is actually starting to piss me off as well.
Disagree about the oversaturation (because the quality is there), but the fact none of the newcomers weigh more than Mario (sans Mega Man in the demo, which we know his weight got reduced drastically, so that's not true anymore) is a huge deal.

Also, again, no villains.

Villains and heavyweights are 2 things Smash lacks, and we got 2 insanely obviously heavyweight villains in the waiting in Ridley and K. Rool with all kinds of off the charts potential.

Alas, all the villainous villains have historically been hidden characters (Ganondorf in Melee and Brawl, Mewtwo in Melee, and Wolf in Brawl), sans Bowser. Heck, Wario appears to be a hidden character this time around, and he's definitely the most villainous non-villain veteran (sans Wolf).

I don't know, I see these coincidences, and I see the amount of hype Sakurai wants, and I can't help but feel these 2 big towering giants would bring the hype like no other character. Oh, and Mewtwo, too (and Snake if by some miracle he got in and Sakurai didn't go full stupid mode).

===

I think overall I think a Dixie/K. Rool combo reveal may be inevitable. My only deal with it is K. Rool might not be on Smash 3DS (initially) due to programming issues while Dixie will.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I just want to say that Sami would not only be a better more versatile candidate than Andy for advance wars,
I think Andy being the main character gives him priority, but again, I could always be wrong.

As for your point though, I do see where you are coming from. I haven't played more than the first Advance Wars game though.
she also has higher chances, and I would say Mona from Wario Ware or Captian Syrup from WarioLand(especially since Wario isn't really repping that series) are possible too
With Mona, honestly Ashley as an AT character, aka the #2 most wanted Wario Ware character in Smash (other than the title character), I don't see that happening.

As for Captain Syrup... listen, DKC has been shafted in Smash before, but man, Wario Land has basically gotten nothing in Smash thus far.
but ya K.Rool doesn't have too much competition left, I still got hope
Pretty much the point. Also, he's atop the newcomer landscape now with Ridley.

I mean, I still think Chorus Kids/Men are still a lock (via the remains of the Gematsu leaks), and we're gonna get multiple newcomers past that (whether on Smash 3DS, delayed for Smash WiiU, or as DLC), and Ridley and K. Rool are all that's left.

Best of all, when one of them is confirmed, oh mannnnn, the other is gonna get pushed HARDDDDDD!!!!!

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Nintendo seriously need to start using Waluigi in the main games, he's got way too much potential that's just going to waste. I don't understand why they don't put him in WarioWare either because he'd fit perfectly.

Just like King. K Rool 100% needs to be brought back to DK. They can try to replace him and the Kremlings with all the enemies they want, but none of them will ever come close. As fantastic as the new games are, they just don't feel the same without the Kroc Krew.
I agree with what you said about Waluigi. He is severely underused by Nintendo and he definitely needs to be in an adventure. Honestly, I don't think he should be in WarioWare, but hopefully in a Wario Land or maybe a Wario World 2 title. Or maybe include both Wario and Waluigi in the Mario & Luigi RPG series. It's Waluigi's turn to shine!
Sorry to double post but I couldn't help but post this awesome remix from Donkey Kong 64.

That's a sweet remix there. I am hoping to hear more DK 64 tracks in Smash 4.
Dat ignorance. I'm gonna go out and become a k rool missionary now, spreading the word of our glorious Kaptain to all those unfortunate souls who don't know better.
It's quite stupid that people still use the "irrelevant" argument. They just need to be more open-minded about K. Rool.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I always liked Klaptrap for some reason, I guess it's because he's both adorable and evil.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Right, he hasn't got competition... Unless Sakurai starts to add more clones like Dark Pit :troll:
Actually that would help K. Rool's chances, because that would mean that clones (or semi-clones), which means less time spent on them, which means more time to work on other characters.

Characters like Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit were probably added 12-20 months before release. That means there was "more room" left open for unique and original newcomers like our glorious King!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I still don't see why the remaining 5 characters couldn't be

Dixie
K.Rool
Ridley
Mewtwo
Chorus Men

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's quite stupid that people still use the "irrelevant" argument. They just need to be more open-minded about K. Rool.
Especially considering he is requested worldwide, he's a Nintendo of America favorite, he's the main villain of a 30 million plus copy selling sub-franchise, he's been wanted in Smash forever, etc.

Oh, and these same people probably said this about characters like the Villager, Greninja, Pac-Man, the Mii Fighters, Lucina, and Robin.
Which is ironic, since K. Rool is one of the most dishonest, cheating, dirty fighting villains in all of Nintendo.
Which is EXACTLY FREAKING WHY HE NEEDS TO BE PLAYABLE!!!

Please, Samurai, confirm Dixie. Have her trailer be amazing.

Then, PLAY THE KREDITS!!!!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Go to the Lanky Kong thread if you want to talk about Lanky Kong in detail, unless it somehow pertains to K. Rool.

Dixie
K.Rool
Ridley
Mewtwo
Chorus Men
The "5 remaining character" theory might not be entirely true. The roster icons could always get smaller, or scroll down to the bottom screen of the 3DS.

Regardless, Dixie, K. Rool, Ridley, and the Chorus Men/Kids are the 4 prime potential newcomer candidates that have not been confirmed or deconfirmed (like top newcomer candidates like Krystal, Cranky, Wonder Red, and Rayman [at least for now] have been).

Edit: Also DLC means there isn't a clear end until we see it. Then there's the idea that characters could be held off until Smash WiiU, which makes a ton of sense.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
The "5 remaining character" theory might not be entirely true. The roster icons could always get smaller, or scroll down to the bottom screen of the 3DS.

Regardless, Dixie, K. Rool, Ridley, and the Chorus Men/Kids are the 4 prime potential newcomer candidates that have not been confirmed or deconfirmed (like top newcomer candidates like Krystal, Cranky, Wonder Red, and Rayman [at least for now] have been).
I know it's just a theory but it does seem plausible especially since a few notable people have said it's not the full roster. Even still whether it's 5 3 or 2 characters left I don't see why K.Rool wouldn't be there

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I feel good about the King, I trust that he'll be more than a trophy this time around.

I won't leave our Gangplank Galleon, I'm going down with the ship!

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Other than King K. Rool, who are your guys other favorite Kremlings? mine are Kritter, Krusha, Kudgel, Kackal, Kruncha, Klomp and Kasplat.
Klubba, he may have just been a small part of the game, but he didn't take any crap. You pay up or you leave and if you dont like it you taste his club! Not to mention the music made him seem even more intense.

Klobber was pretty intense as well, every now and then one catches ya off guard and.. RAHH! Rahh Rahh rahh rahh...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I know it's just a theory but it does seem plausible especially since a few notable people have said it's not the full roster. Even still whether it's 5 3 or 2 characters left I don't see why K.Rool wouldn't be there
Which is also a point that's missing in that there's a deeper hole to dig with the roster with Smash WiiU and DLC characters.

The hole could get deeper and deeper.

It can get nuts guys. Trust me, I've been a part of the Street Fighter IV ride for DLC characters, expansion packs, etc. for like half a decade, and it's been absolutely an insane ride.

In Street Fighter IV I went from "this roster is trash and it's missing 5 obvious characters" to "sweet everyone I really love is back" to "sweet everyone outside of Alpha and III I liked is back" to "༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つGIVE MIKE HAGGAR ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ". XD

Seriously though, Mike Haggar and K. Rool in Street Fighter IV and Smash 4 respectively please... :sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Dixie
K.Rool
Ridley
Mewtwo
Chorus Men
In all honesty, I think if anything it'd be this with Chorus Men replaced by Isaac. We don't even know if we're getting "five characters" (although I would say that if we have more characters, 5 is the most likely number. (Naturally I realize I'm in the minority here, but I still think Isaac's chances look quite good. Far better than any Chorus Men.)

Dixie? She could be swapped with Wolf as well, there's nothing to suggest Wolf is actually gone. Its a mixed back for me, really.

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Like many of you, I plan to stay with supporting K. Rool until the very bitter/sweet end. Don't know why but I still got a feeling K. Rool still has a large chance of making it in. I was just speculating to myself about K. Rool's chances one last time because we're in the last few weeks before speculation comes to an end and everything is revealed. There is still good reason to support K. Rool even this far in.

*Kremlings
*Withheld DK content
*lack of villains
*lack of heavy weights
*global popularity
*Rareware era DK content being acknowledged
*DK Land games that has oodles of Kremlings being re released through VC etc.
*Namco Bandai working on this game

That's my thoughts anyways. Also my favorite Kremlings are Klump and Krusha mainly due to the cartoon and the Kritters in DK64 (mainly the cheating Kritters at the end of the game). Also I have very mixed feelings for Lord Fredrik. On one hand I want to just love the guy for what he is but every time I fight him now, I get a sad reminder of K. Rool so that sucks.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Jussssst colored thissss old manga picture for the King.

I too am here until the "end". Though I think it's almost definitely already over for K. Rool on the vanilla roster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom