• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Sep 12, 2015] Salem Smashfests (Weekly) [Smash 4, Brawl] (Salem, Or)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
After further testing and research, there is going to be another change to the Legal Stage List for Smash 4 (and Brawl as well):

Smash 4
- Kongo Jungle 64 returns
- Wuhu Island returns
- Halberd returns
- Pokemon Stadium 2 joins the list
- This makes 13 legal stages, which continues to allow for Full-List stage striking (Basically reads as "Everything legal is a starter")

Brawl
- Halberd no longer legal (due to the Cannon/Claw's random selection of a player, and to make 9 legal stages)
- Starter/Counterpick Distinction removed (Same as Smash 4, all starters now)
- Bans increased to 2

Questions/Complaints/etc? Feel free to let me know!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to all of you who made it out tonight! (Also, read through this because it's also a news post)

Melee Singles:
1st) Magnum Dragon
2nd) Krillin
3rd) Nick

Project M Singles:
1st & 2nd split between Monce & Jaxas; due to time constraints.

Starting in 1 week from this upcoming Saturday Smashfest, we're changing the schedule around a bit!

Saturday:
- Smash 4
- Brawl
- Project: M

Monday:
- Melee
- Smash 64 (New!)

Does this work for everyone? Let me know either way!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Recent Facebook posts, all in one big post here:

=================================================
Hey guys, for any of you who have had troubles with Tournament-day Nerves in the past, Smashboards user Omni made a pretty neat video with some advice on how to work around it!

If this is something you have trouble with, then be sure to check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzpUv5T_1Co

==================================================
Hey everyone, in case anyone missed it we're rescheduling a bit starting 1/10/2015.

We'll be adding Smash 64 on Monday, and moving Project: M to Saturday.

With this though, we may want to reschedule a bit, especially on Saturdays.
So, the question is: What time works best for everyone?
Please vote on the Facebook group, or comment here!

In addition to the start-time question for Saturdays, we may be able to switch days for Melee/SSB64 if enough people are interested (no promises that all days are open, but I want to see what works for people)!

What days would for everyone interested in Melee and Smash 64?
Once again, please vote on the Facebook group, or comment here!

Attention everyone interested in playing Super Smash Brothers 64!

We need to get setups for this, and I'd like to see a general interest count!

If you're interested in playing Smash 64 (including just trying it out!), please comment, and also mention if you have a setup! (N64 preferred, though Wii Virtual Console works just as well. Laptops powerful enough to emulate it frame-perfectly, combined with controller adapters (Wii U Gamecube adapters work!) will also be allowed, though not preferred)

Thanks everyone!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Attention all Salem Smashers!
Due to a just-realized scheduling conflict by GameStar, we will not be able to host our event there tomorrow!

Apologies as I was just made aware of this myself, but we are working hard to find a new, temporary venue for tomorrow - just be aware that times may be different and it may not be able to be in South Salem; if people could start finding rides/carpools now, that would be great!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone! This is a followup to the earlier post about this Saturday.
We managed to get in contact with the people at Meta-Gaming, our old venue, and will be hosting this Saturday's Salem Smashfest there!

This also means that we will likely have a stream, so be sure to check that out tomorrow!

Long story short:
Meet tomorrow at Meta-Gaming at 2pm for Smash 4 and Brawl.

Thanks!

Rifto

Smash Rookie
Just learned about this. I'll be there.

Also, I browsed the comments but didn't see if this is sm4sh for wii u or still 3ds. Thanks guys

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Just learned about this. I'll be there.

Also, I browsed the comments but didn't see if this is sm4sh for wii u or still 3ds. Thanks guys
It's for Wii U, but you can use 3DS as a controller hooked up to the Wii U!

Also, I'm assuming you saw but don't forget that today's tournament is actually at Meta-Gaming.

Here's the address:
4555 Liberty Road South #340
Salem, OR 97302

T0MMY

Smash Master
Wish my computer could handle streams ($20 computer 4tw), but tried to watch as best I could. Hope you all had fun.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out this week!

Smash 4 Singles:
1st) G~Man, the Cosmic Destroyer
2nd) Jaxas
3rd) MasterFisk

Smash 4 Doubles:
1st) Hot Blondes
2nd) Pocket Monsters

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out this evening!

Melee Singles
1st) Magnum Dragon
2nd) Jaxas
3rd) MasterFisk

P:M Singles
1st) Monce
2nd) Jaxas

Apologies once again for P:M being rather rushed, but this should be fixed next week - remember that P:M is moving to Saturday this week, and Smash 64 is being added to Monday!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Attention players of Smash 4, Project: M, and Brawl!

Starting this Saturday, all Saturday tournaments will begin at 12 o'clock noon (as opposed to the previous time of 2pm)!

Be sure to be there on time; I hope to see you all there!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out this weekend!

Results
Smash 4 Singles:
1st) Blake
2nd) MasterFisk
3rd) G~|Jaxas

Smash 4 Doubles:
1st) SS|G~|Jx|We Suck at Naming Things (Jaxas/G~Man, TCD)
2nd) L&R Inc. (Shy/Zeno)

Project M:
1st) G~|Jaxas
2nd) Blake

Brawl:
1st) G~Man, the Cosmic Destroyer
2nd) G~|Jaxas

We had quite a few (joke?) sponsorships this week, as you can tell by some of the names used. Also, the matches that we successfully recorded will be uploaded soon (unfortunately we lost quite a bit due to being out of space on my external; I've cleaned off a ton of space so it won't happen again - sorry everyone)!

====================

We only got a few of the matches from this weekend recorded successfully, but what we do have are now uploaded!

Also, we should now have everything stream-based worked out and ready for the future, so we shouldn't have any problems like this in the future.

[01-10-15] Smash Saturdays: Smash 4, Project: M, & Brawl (Salem Smashfests)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone! Just a quick update, but I went through and re-organized (and slightly edited) the rules for the different Smash games, as well as updated the pinned post!

We now have a 'global' ruleset, which each game simply builds off of. The Global Game Rules document is here: http://goo.gl/cM0B6h

Check the first post's links for the game-specific information, as well as the Smash 64 ruleset!

Also, sorry P:M players but I'll finish updating the rules later (if you check out the rules list, it's definitely pretty placeholder; nothing has changed with them, though!)

See anything you disagree with? Have questions? Please let me know, and/or ask away!

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
Hello, everyone.

I just recently moved into the area(more details here), and I'm trying to familiarize myself with my new setting and make new friends as much as possible. I live very close to the venue(Google Maps tells me that I'm fourteen minutes away), and was wondering if it'd at all be possible if someone would be willing to bring me along with them. I'm more than willing to pay for gas, of course. I don't mind jogging or walking to the venue, but apparently that'd take three and a half hours, so I would need to leave a lot sooner, and I'd like to avoid that, if at all possible.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hello, everyone.

I just recently moved into the area(more details here), and I'm trying to familiarize myself with my new setting and make new friends as much as possible. I live very close to the venue(Google Maps tells me that I'm fourteen minutes away), and was wondering if it'd at all be possible if someone would be willing to bring me along with them. I'm more than willing to pay for gas, of course. I don't mind jogging or walking to the venue, but apparently that'd take three and a half hours, so I would need to leave a lot sooner, and I'd like to avoid that, if at all possible.
Hey there, and welcome to Salem (er, Keizer, but close enough)!

I'd offer you a ride if I could, however unfortunately I don't have a vehicle. You'll probably have more luck if you ask in our Facebook group, though, as that's a lot more active than this thread is.

We do have a few people who come from Lancaster, and I believe at least one or two from Keizer, so chances are good you'll be able to find a ride somewhere.
Best of luck, and hopefully we'll see you soon!

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
Hey there, and welcome to Salem (er, Keizer, but close enough)!

I'd offer you a ride if I could, however unfortunately I don't have a vehicle. You'll probably have more luck if you ask in our Facebook group, though, as that's a lot more active than this thread is.

We do have a few people who come from Lancaster, and I believe at least one or two from Keizer, so chances are good you'll be able to find a ride somewhere.
Best of luck, and hopefully we'll see you soon!
Oh darn, I thought I'd replied to this already!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the information and the help! I've asked to join the Facebook group and someone has contacted me already, thanks to your assistance. I couldn't be more grateful! It's nice to hear that there are a few players from the Keizer area, too! It'll be nice to meet all the people in this area, and really get to know the community here.

If everything goes well, I look forward to meeting everyone on Saturday!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, don't forget to head over to GameStar today for Project: M, Smash 4, and Brawl!

Also, it is extremely likely that we will have time for Smash 4 doubles, so bring an extra dollar if you're interested!

Today's schedule will be:
11:45 - Sign Ups Open (Sign Ups available from this point on)
12:00 - Project: M Singles start
1:00 - Smash 4 (Wii U) Singles start
Upon completion of Smash 4 Singles - Smash 4 Doubles starts
5:00 - Brawl Singles start
8:00 - Venue Closes

As we're pretty relaxed, this schedule is honestly more of a guideline, but we will not begin any part of the tournament before the stated time - basically this means you can choose to show up for only the games you're interested in if you so choose.

Anyways, happy Smashing and I hope to see you all there!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out to the P:M, Smash 4, and Brawl tournament yesterday!

And now, for results!

Smash 4 Singles:
1st) Serynder
2nd) Blake
3rd) MFisk

Smash 4 Triples:
1st) Pocket Monsters (Blake/Charey/Shy)
2nd) Gold Team Rules (Jaxas/G~Man/Zeno)

PM Singles:
1st) Blake
2nd) Urban Lion
3rd) Jaxas

Brawl:
1st) Serynder
2nd) Jaxas

I hope to see you all next week, wherever it may be! (We may be switching venues, so stay tuned)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Attention everyone:
Due to some conflicts with our current venue, we need to find a new location for the Smashfests by Saturday (this Monday, tomorrow, will still be at GameStar).

If anyone knows of any locations that would be interested in having us, please let me know. The closer to South Salem the better!

Places we've checked so far, and were no-goes:
- Haven Gaming
- Meta-Gaming
- GameStar

South Salem would be best as we have a number of players who can only walk and live in South Salem, but as it's unlikely that South Salem will work then if you're willing to offer a ride then please let us know as well.

Thanks for your help everyone!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I just heard about a place in Salem called "The Coin Jam", it looks to be similar to the place I work at which is like a barcade. You might have to check their hours they are open to minors because the OLCC are mafia types who impose scrubby rules on who can be around liquor, but usually barcades are all-ages from about 11a-5p so it might work out if they have space for you.
Also, they have tofu burgers, yum.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I just heard about a place in Salem called "The Coin Jam", it looks to be similar to the place I work at which is like a barcade. You might have to check their hours they are open to minors because the OLCC are mafia types who impose scrubby rules on who can be around liquor, but usually barcades are all-ages from about 11a-5p so it might work out if they have space for you.
Also, they have tofu burgers, yum.
Unfortunately they're not open to minors at any point; it would probably be great otherwise.

T0MMY

Smash Master
My pleasure, let us know how it works out or if you need anything else.
I found a couple other places that might work out too, just in case.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone! As I'm sure you've heard, we may be moving to a new location.

The reasoning for this is that GameStar is looking to charge us a venue fee for each person who attends, which is not a huge deal but would mean that at the very least the entry fee doubles while the pot size stays the same.

So what I want to know, is who would prefer to be at GameStar despite this, and who wants to go somewhere else?
Also keep in mind that buses don't run on weekends, unfortunately!

Please either go to our Facebook Group and vote on the poll or post here with your thoughts; thanks!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'm personally ok with paying a venue fee to keep a good venue.
But if there's another place just as good without it then pass the savings on to the attendees.

Also keep in mind I'd be coming from Eugene so if there's a better location for the Salem players I'd rather they get more say on the matter than me.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Official Announcement Time

For now at the very least, we will be staying at GameStar. I'm going to try and work out the specifics of the venue fee, and will let everyone know what it is.

This week specifically, (as long as I can afford it...) I'll just be paying for the venue fee myself - things will be exactly as they have been in the past, basically. If people are willing to help chip in that would be appreciated, but shouldn't be needed.

Starting next week, it will be determined whether the venue fee increases (likely to $2 instead of $1) or if the venue fee will simply be taken out of the pot (or, if absolutely necessary, both). I'll keep you updated on that in the future, but for now that should be everything important.

Speaking of next week, however, we will likely not be having a Salem Smashfest on Saturday, January 31st. Instead, I hope to see you all in Eugene at the Fight or Flight tournament!

This is a huge opportunity for Oregon's Smash Scene as a whole, as we now have official school recognition at the University of Oregon! The more people attend the better, and this should definitely be a huge event, so be sure to try your absolute best to make it!

The games scheduled currently are Smash 4 (Wii U), Melee, and Project: M. See the event page for more details, and get hyped!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
People need carpools for the Fight or Flight event!

If you are interested in carpooling, be aware that you'll almost certainly have to chip in for gas!
If you're willing to carpool, please post how many spots you have available!

Thanks you guys!

T0MMY

Smash Master
If you need help with the venue fee I'll chip in.
I've been to a few tournaments that used a house cut, but I've seen that attendees have preferred a flat venue fee instead. Some may even say you are stealing money even though the option is built into TIO. To avoid that kind of scenario just decide on a fee that should cover the venue costs and if you don't get it covered then you may have to bite the bullet and pay it out of your pocket, I've had to do that plenty of times so know it is a risk (among others).
And if the venue isn't worth the price then there should be some other places to look at that might be more worth the price or have a lower/no fee.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out today!

Project: M Singles
1st) Blake
2nd) Monce
3rd) Bubbles

Smash 4 Singles
1st) Jaxas
2nd) G~Man, the Cosmic Destroyer
3rd) Bubbles

Smash 4 Doubles
1st) TinyMon (CLL/Charey)
2nd) Pocket Monsters (Blake/Shy)

Brawl Singles
1st) Serynder
2nd) Jaxas

I'm going to try and get the matches uploaded soon, and I'll post once they're uploaded.

Also, remember - Fight or Flight HYPE!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
If you need help with the venue fee I'll chip in.
I've been to a few tournaments that used a house cut, but I've seen that attendees have preferred a flat venue fee instead. Some may even say you are stealing money even though the option is built into TIO. To avoid that kind of scenario just decide on a fee that should cover the venue costs and if you don't get it covered then you may have to bite the bullet and pay it out of your pocket, I've had to do that plenty of times so know it is a risk (among others).
And if the venue isn't worth the price then there should be some other places to look at that might be more worth the price or have a lower/no fee.
Unfortunately GameStar wanted $1 per entry venue fee rather than a flat rate for the room, so that's just going to happen from now on. And we aren't stealing money; the venue fee is going directly to GameStar, and is even paid to the clerk at the front desk.

And the venue is worth it, though admittedly mostly due to location - by moving out of South Salem we'd lose a lot of our members, which is something I'm not willing to do.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
OFFICIAL GAMESTAR SNACK DISCUSSION POST THING

Hey everyone, as you know GameStar has started having a $1 venue fee (this will be starting next Saturday, as I'm covering it this week - help is always appreciated, though!). What you may not know, however, is that if they make a profit off of concessions, then the venue fee won't be needed.

Because of this, the manager wants us to come up with a list of items which we will buy from them (reliably, especially).

If you could post things that you would reliably buy, that would be extremely helpful - thanks everyone!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Okay, so this is going to be the post where I keep track of who's in what carpool; if you're riding with/bringing someone, please let me know so I can update this!

(Also Blake, if you happen to catch this, I think you typed your number in wrong; email me at SalemSmashfests@gmail.com to talk about carpooling and stuff please!)

MasterFisk 's Carpool [FULL]
- Pinky
- Serynder Serynder
- Rom

Saucy Pirate's Carpool
- Cheeze Wiz
- Connor
-
-

Blake's Carpool
- Shy
- Jaxas Jaxas
- gmanownyou
-

Terris's Carpool
- Ninja Asashin
-

IN NEED OF A RIDE:
Anyone else coming who needs a ride?

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
And we aren't stealing money; the venue fee is going directly to GameStar, and is even paid to the clerk at the front desk.
Who said anything about you stealing money?

After Bart's accusation campaign regarding the copy & paste venue fee mistake at Jon's tournament I am going to guess you're afraid someone is going to come after you next? And showing you are not profiting from hosting these events and saying the clerk will collect the money would distance you from it?

I get it.

I get it, and I strongly take issue with people being afraid of hosting/playing/or just being a part of the Smash Community. That is NOT what I believe the Oregon Smash Community is.

Jon was hosting some of the best events in our city and is a great human being who I see help out so many people in his life, but because of this bullying/witch hunting he has stopped hosting, leaving a big void to fill.
Well, I am filling that void now and I know how much the haters hate that because I am not part of their group and I will stand up against any injustices.

Painted a big target on me, I know, and I'm not afraid one bit. BREAK THE TARGETS!

@ Jaxas Jaxas , if anyone gives you any problems about collecting a venue fee or accusing you of "stealing" money because of profits let it be publicly known and we'll get the matter sorted. Keep up the great work running your tournaments!

Relevent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisZTB4ZQxY

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Who said anything about you stealing money?

After Bart's accusation campaign regarding the copy & paste venue fee mistake at Jon's tournament I am going to guess you're afraid someone is going to come after you next? And showing you are not profiting from hosting these events and saying the clerk will collect the money would distance you from it?

I get it.

I get it, and I strongly take issue with people being afraid of hosting/playing/or just being a part of the Smash Community. That is NOT what I believe the Oregon Smash Community is.

Jon was hosting some of the best events in our city and is a great human being who I see help out so many people in his life, but because of this bullying/witch hunting he has stopped hosting, leaving a big void to fill.
Well, I am filling that void now and I know how much the haters hate that because I am not part of their group and I will stand up against any injustices.

Painted a big target on me, I know, and I'm not afraid one bit. BREAK THE TARGETS!

@ Jaxas Jaxas , if anyone gives you any problems about collecting a venue fee or accusing you of "stealing" money because of profits let it be publicly known and we'll get the matter sorted. Keep up the great work running your tournaments!

Relevent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisZTB4ZQxY
Actually I'd just assumed that that's what you were talking about, as I'm not too worried about it myself; even if people claimed I was stealing or some such then it's not like I'd stop hosting tournaments or anything.
I try to be as transparent as possible anyways (if people ask I explain, though I tend to just mention things as they change anyways), so I doubt it'll be a problem; if it becomes one, I'll be sure to let you know though - thanks!

Top Bottom